New entrance at DHS

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
It fits, but without a lot of margin. Moving the entrance would give ample amount of breathing room. They probably want a little more buffer from world drive and the entrance. Don't want to be covering up the backside of that show building with cardboard canyons too ;)

I just find it fascinating that Route 66 pretty much lines up with the existing Streets of America.

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
But we must remember this is a living document, always changing. They swap a swamp and create a new wet land swamp. Create a new habitat for the vulcher when they disturb another. Disney just did this with the GF DVC build and the DVC at the Contemporary. It isn't easy but Disney continues to pull it off.
Another way to look at that map would be to replace "unsuitable" for "most expensive", "marginally suitable" = "less expensive", etc. Very little is "impossible" in construction when you have enough money and control over local govt.

G00fyDad

It fits, but without a lot of margin. Moving the entrance would give ample amount of breathing room. They probably want a little more buffer from world drive and the entrance. Don't want to be covering up the backside of that show building with cardboard canyons too ;)

So, Disney doesn't have to build Carsland to the exact specifications as it's California counterpart.

djlaosc

There is nothing that officially says Studios expansion land is across World Drive. There is "buildable" land across World Drive, but it doesn't make sense to expand a park across a major roadway.

It would be great if they could move the DHS parking across there (or even share a larger parking lot with Blizzard Beach), and then you could use most of the current parking lot for expansion, but then you would have the issue of "how do you get people to the front of the park? (short of having a bus pick you up from the parking lot and take you to the current entrance - although I would guess that would be similar to the monorail/ferries at Magic Kingdom - but you would possibly be looking at a 15 minute bus journey, which might be too much)

G00fyDad

It would be great if they could move the DHS parking across there (or even share a larger parking lot with Blizzard Beach), but then you would have the issue of "how do you get people to the front of the park? (short of having a bus pick you up from the parking lot and take you to the current entrance - although I would guess that would be similar to the monorail/ferries at Magic Kingdom - but you would possibly be looking at a 15 minute bus journey, which might be too much)

The same way you get to the TTC walk under (or over) the road. They would also have trams.

djlaosc

The same way you get to the TTC walk under (or over) the road. They would also have trams.

Yeah, but if you built across World Drive beside Blizzard Beach, the parking would be behind DHS (across the road behind TSMM), so you would have to get people around DHS in order to reach the current entrance.

G00fyDad

Yeah, but if you built across World Drive beside Blizzard Beach, the parking would be behind DHS (across the road behind TSMM), so you would have to get people around DHS in order to reach the current entrance.

Fair enough. People just asked how they would get across the road. That would be the only way short of rerouting the road.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
There is nothing that officially says Studios expansion land is across World Drive. There is "buildable" land across World Drive, but it doesn't make sense to expand a park across a major roadway.

I think that you could build across World Drive and tie it in with an elevate walkway and most people would not even know that the road was there. The walkway would be wide enough to hid the fact that you where crossing a highway and the outside areas could lined with vendor carts, etc. I have seen this done in many large cities where parks cross over roads. The greatest solution, maybe not; but it could be done.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
It would be great if they could move the DHS parking across there (or even share a larger parking lot with Blizzard Beach), and then you could use most of the current parking lot for expansion, but then you would have the issue of "how do you get people to the front of the park? (short of having a bus pick you up from the parking lot and take you to the current entrance - although I would guess that would be similar to the monorail/ferries at Magic Kingdom - but you would possibly be looking at a 15 minute bus journey, which might be too much)

They could expand the monorail system. Oh wait who am I kidding it isn't 1981 anymore!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It was explained to me as a duel way tram road parallel bridge across World Drive next to BVD and above the backstage access road, passing behind the Amphitheatre and across the Crescent Lake canal, then turning to a new tram drop off at the current bus station area.

But I dare say decked parking on part of the current lot is preferable today.

Through the magic of iPad I give you a high tech, extremely detailed plan:

image.jpg

djlaosc

It was explained to me as a duel way tram road parallel bridge across World Drive next to BVD and above the backstage access road, passing behind the Amphitheatre and across the Crescent Lake canal, then turning to a new tram drop off at the current bus station area.

Wow, that is what I was thinking of - only problem with decked parking is that it would give you less expansion room (as well as how it would look from the park), but it would probably be cheaper!

articos

View attachment 28697
This idea was discounted for both cost and logistics. I don't expect to see it revived.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom