New entrance at DHS

flynnibus

Premium Member
Could you elaborate on what this means?

simply that the area in question is seen as being at risk of being flooded by a nature event of the significance/frequency of a 100 year event. Aka.. statistically something that big happens within every 100 years.

Loosely put.. 'its in a extended flood zone'

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
But the road would pass through the conservation area also. If it's going to happen we should see permits filed with the South Florida Water Management District.
I just noticed that he did say "This is a rumor."

I'm not sure if that statement was there to begin with or not.

@drew81 is pretty trustworthy about his information though...perhaps he edited/added it?:confused:

dhall

he's talking about park expansion to the east/south... not drew81's road stuff

One of the more addicted users has long maintained that the space across world drive is where they'll expand the park, but it seems to me to be far more likely that they'd eliminate/reduce the parking lot & backstage areas and move those over world drive: building a flyover across world drive for parking lot trams & employee busses seems a lot more likely than some sort of guest walkway or having a satellite park reachable only by train or something.

luv

I'm torn here. It would help with the back-ups at the entrance off Buena Vista, but will clog up Victory Way.

Me, personally, for my own reasons, I hope it doesn't happen. So it probably will!

Goofyernmost

But the road would pass through the conservation area also. If it's going to happen we should see permits filed with the South Florida Water Management District.
I'm sure this would be a formality. There is a better then even chance that the South Florida Water Management District is just another arm of Disney anyway. But, if it isn't Disney has the ability and the resources to just move a wet land over. They have shown over the years that they are ahead of most places in water management and I'm sure that with the proper plans in hand it would be rubber stamped.

I remember when I was working for an earth moving company building a shopping center that had a wetland right in the middle of what was going to be a parking lot. We just redug the pond, transferred the plants to the new location and, just like that, there was a parking lot and a wetland. Nature is a strong force but so are bulldozers. The wildlife stayed on and all was well with the world.

muteki

I'm sure this would be a formality. There is a better then even chance that the South Florida Water Management District is just another arm of Disney anyway. But, if it isn't Disney has the ability and the resources to just move a wet land over. They have shown over the years that they are ahead of most places in water management and I'm sure that with the proper plans in hand it would be rubber stamped.

I remember when I was working for an earth moving company building a shopping center that had a wetland right in the middle of what was going to be a parking lot. We just redug the pond, transferred the plants to the new location and, just like that, there was a parking lot and a wetland. Nature is a strong force but so are bulldozers. The wildlife stayed on and all was well with the world.

I agree, if Disney stayed off every piece of land marked as conservation from here on out they would have hardly anywhere to go. There is very little land that isn't marked as conservation and what isn't is out in the middle of nowhere. There has to be some recourse for them if they need to expand, or the WDW as we see today will be the same for decades.

rct247

I wouldn't think they would build an new entrance point off of Victory Way seeing as it is a 4 lane divided road compared to Buena Vista being much wider. I would think Osceola Parkway would serve as a better entrance point with it being 6 lanes with room to expand the road if needed as well.

E

Engenie

To mention for all the wetland stuff: Disney already has this covered... Disney Sponsors a property south of Orlando for this exact purpose. For every acre they touch in WDW, they finance and rebuild the exact same acreage of wetlands at the Disney Wilderness preserve, managed by the Nature Conservancy. See there website at:

http://www.nature.org/ourinitiative...sweprotect/the-disney-wilderness-preserve.xml

A quick excerpt from their about section:

"The preserve began as the country’s first large-scale, off-site wetlands mitigation project. In the early 1990s, The Walt Disney Co. purchased and donated 8,500 acres to the Conservancy to offset lands impacted by the development of Walt Disney World. The Disney Co. also provided funds for restoration and wildlife monitoring, and continues to partner a number of on-site projects."

jt04

I agree, if Disney stayed off every piece of land marked as conservation from here on out they would have hardly anywhere to go. There is very little land that isn't marked as conservation and what isn't is out in the middle of nowhere. There has to be some recourse for them if they need to expand, or the WDW as we see today will be the same for decades.

The reason Disney did the Lake Kissimmee conservation project was to mitigate loss of wetlands associated with the rapid development during the Disney Decade. So they do have ways of using land that may be considered protected by creating conservation areas elsewhere.

I really can't believe that the land between PC and DHS is all that "sensitive" at this point considering it is now surrounded be expressways and constant traffic. So all they should need to do is buy some ranch land and donate it to the state or the Nature Conservancy to offset any development. IMO

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom