New Details Emerge on Art of Animation Hotel (2012)

hosewater

How could changing the name from Pop Century to Pop Culture be considered a shortening of the name when it's the same amount of letters?

People call it that anyway...wouldnt be a much of a stretch for the minds that I heard say once, "After we ride 'Fast Track', let's go to 'Nemo Finds The Living Seas'." :confused:

TRONorail10

Has anyone realized the one main problem with the Art of Animation Resort? It is supposed to be comprised mostly of family suites. Don't get me wrong, I am happy to see another resort on Disney property, but i think there are going to be a lot of long term problems for Disney with this resort. First the facts, the hotel is opening around the same time as the Fantasyland Expansion. Fantasyland will create an increase in attendence at the parks for a while, which in turn means there *may* be a need for more hotel rooms. I think Disney is building the resort for more economic reasons, because I feel I am safe to assume that a lot of families who frequented deluxe resorts are now scaling back to moderates and values in order to save money. My main problem is the fact that Disney is not building a moderate family suite resort, but a value family suite resort. Disney's resorts are already priced well out of the hotel market for central florida, so even a value resort isn't really a value. If they are building family suites, then a suite is more likely going to be more expensive than a regular hotel room. Judging by the huge pricing gap between suites/villas and regular rooms at Disney, I cannot contemplate how these rooms are going to be any sort of value to the guests. I feel like a lot of people are going to be dooped into thinking they are gonna get a deal for these rooms and wind up still spending an arm and a leg for a one bedroom suite at a lackluster resort. At the same time, Disney's deluxes are already hurting from the economy, and the Art of Animation Resort is going to hurt them even more by drawing away guests that would have otherwise coughed up more money for the suite at the deluxe. I know most people on these boards are excited about the theme of the resort, but the bottom line is that it is themed off of movies, just like the All-Star Movie Resort. I really think they could have done something different, i know the imagineers probably have drawers full of hotel ideas for all price levels.

jvalencia

Ditto, this looks like what the value resorts should have been all along, not the cheesy, I-drive quality hotels like the All-stars and the existing Pop Century.

It looks like there are interior hallways on these buildings. If this is acurate, then all I can say is thank you and it's about time! It has driven me insane how the moderates and the values had (old school motel-style:hurl:) exterior hallways, which gave your room window less privacy and still left you fairly open to the rain. I really hope the art is accurate in that aspect. :D:D:D

Exactly! I wonder if they will make any changes to the "value" hotels:wave:

Tom

Beta Return
Has anyone realized the one main problem with the Art of Animation Resort? It is supposed to be comprised mostly of family suites. Don't get me wrong, I am happy to see another resort on Disney property, but i think there are going to be a lot of long term problems for Disney with this resort. First the facts, the hotel is opening around the same time as the Fantasyland Expansion. Fantasyland will create an increase in attendence at the parks for a while, which in turn means there *may* be a need for more hotel rooms. I think Disney is building the resort for more economic reasons, because I feel I am safe to assume that a lot of families who frequented deluxe resorts are now scaling back to moderates and values in order to save money. My main problem is the fact that Disney is not building a moderate family suite resort, but a value family suite resort. Disney's resorts are already priced well out of the hotel market for central florida, so even a value resort isn't really a value. If they are building family suites, then a suite is more likely going to be more expensive than a regular hotel room. Judging by the huge pricing gap between suites/villas and regular rooms at Disney, I cannot contemplate how these rooms are going to be any sort of value to the guests. I feel like a lot of people are going to be dooped into thinking they are gonna get a deal for these rooms and wind up still spending an arm and a leg for a one bedroom suite at a lackluster resort. At the same time, Disney's deluxes are already hurting from the economy, and the Art of Animation Resort is going to hurt them even more by drawing away guests that would have otherwise coughed up more money for the suite at the deluxe. I know most people on these boards are excited about the theme of the resort, but the bottom line is that it is themed off of movies, just like the All-Star Movie Resort. I really think they could have done something different, i know the imagineers probably have drawers full of hotel ideas for all price levels.

The problem right now is that families with more than 4 people (with or without a child under 3) are extremely limited in where they can stay at WDW. If they have 5 family members, and one of them is 9 or under, they can stay in one room at Riverside with a Trundle Bed.

Otherwise, they have to book two rooms or get a suite at a Deluxe or Villa. The creation of the All-Star Music Family Suites was a plus for many families. They're already strapped for cash because they have 3 or more kids in their lives. Taking a Disney vacation is a luxury for most of them, and being able to stay on property is even MORE of a luxury (and out of the price range for many).

The benefit about the value suites is that you can have everyone in one "room" with only one exit to monitor (especially if you have little ones). If you book two rooms, you can request adjacent or adjoining rooms, but there's still no guarantee. And if you end up with adjacent rooms (but no adjoining door), one parent pretty much needs to stay in each room to supervise the young ones and make sure they don't kill themselves or wander off in the middle of the night (this is completely ignoring the rule that one adult must be in each room...which is pretty much ignored after check-in when mom & dad sleep in one room with the kids in the other).

A family suite at Music is a couple hundred bucks more (for a week) than two Standard Rooms (and only a few bucks more than two Preferred Rooms for the same stay). That extra money is often worth it to families for the "luxury" of a private MBR, 2 bathrooms and a convertible sleeping/living area all behind one front door. At the same time, jumping to two rooms at a Moderate Resort would be cost prohibitive.

^^^What is this all about? Seriously. Every thread has a "thanks for the info!" or "awesome!" response pasted in.

DisneyWall-E

I think that too because she is already a Senior Member for having over 1000 posts, so for the life of me I cant figure out why shes doing this. Is there another title you can get past senior member?

G00fyDad

Or how about this idea. The rooms have TWO bathrooms instead of the ONE in a normal Disney value Suite, and THREE seperate Sleeping areas instead of the TWO in a normal Disney value suite, and the normal Master Bedroom like the ones in a normal Disney value Suite. That would make the rooms far larger than any other value resort suite. That being said, wouldn't that negate a door on the side you are viewing in the concept art? I mean the new rooms sound like they'd take up a normal size room and go far deeper into the building. So maybe in this concept art the doors are on the opposite sides of the wall, away from the (loud, since this is a FAMILY suite :) ) courtyard .

Tom

Beta Return
Or how about this idea. The rooms have TWO bathrooms instead of the ONE in a normal Disney value Suite, and THREE seperate Sleeping areas instead of the TWO in a normal Disney value suite, and the normal Master Bedroom like the ones in a normal Disney value Suite. That would make the rooms far larger than any other value resort suite. That being said, wouldn't that negate a door on the side you are viewing in the concept art? I mean the new rooms sound like they'd take up a normal size room and go far deeper into the building. So maybe in this concept art the doors are on the opposite sides of the wall, away from the (loud, since this is a FAMILY suite :) ) courtyard .

The All-Star Music suites have 2 bathrooms, if this is what you're referring to as a "normal value suite". They take up the footprint of 2 standard rooms, and all they did was bust a hole in the wall between the two rooms and wall off a bed in one room, calling it a MBR.

It was a good idea, but it's cramped when you put as many people in there as are intended (at least 5, often 6).

The hope/theory is that the new suites will be bigger than the Music ones, but they'll probably have roughly the same layout. They need to keep the bathrooms together (they'll likely be near the door to the room, by the interior corridor) for plumbing economy.

G00fyDad

I doubt they will just do the same thing as the ASM Suites and "bust a hole in the wall". What about the 3rd bedroom?? I think that they will take up two rooms worth and maybe a little more but it will be deeper/normal width rooms instead of normal depth/wider rooms.

Tom

Beta Return
I doubt they will just do the same thing as the ASM Suites and "bust a hole in the wall". What about the 3rd bedroom?? I think that they will take up two rooms worth and maybe a little more but it will be deeper/normal width rooms instead of normal depth/wider rooms.

I didn't suggest that they'd do the same thing as Music.

A 3rd room (i.e. 2-Bedroom Suite) is definitely a possibility, but again, it would set yet another new definition for Disney.

Tom

Beta Return
Hopefully the exit to the outside will be in the master room as opposed to the kids room.

That would be nice, but building code does not allow the only form of egress (exiting) to be through another room (i.e. through the MBR), and specifically not through a room which could possibly have a locked door (i.e. MBR probably has a privacy lock on it, like the bathrooms).

The main door to the suite, if only one, will likely be in the living room.

Kamikaze

I think that too because she is already a Senior Member for having over 1000 posts, so for the life of me I cant figure out why shes doing this. Is there another title you can get past senior member?

Why is everyone just noticing this now? She's always posted like that, from day one. Just go back and look at her old posts.

Tom

Beta Return
Why is everyone just noticing this now? She's always posted like that, from day one. Just go back and look at her old posts.

I had to find that out by looking up her post history, after seeing this recent trend. I must not have posted in a lot of threads as her before now, because I've never noticed it until now.

It's almost troll-like. What gives?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom