New Details Emerge on Art of Animation Hotel (2012)

Tom

Beta Return
Maybe I am missing something but I just don't see it. Crush looks to be on what would be the staircase/elevator section flanked by 2 sets of rooms.

I agree with what you're seeing. But the building is also curved in that rendering. I think it is just a bad interpretation of the design intent by whomever did the illustration.

They probably outsourced it and the poor artist was given a pile of prints and WDI sketches and told "hurry, sketch up something for the outside of this building so we can publish it right away". And we ended up with a hybrid building in the rendering - half hotel, half main building.

That's just my guess though. I really don't think the guest room buildings will look like this.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I agree with what you're seeing. But the building is also curved in that rendering. I think it is just a bad interpretation of the design intent by whomever did the illustration.

They probably outsourced it and the poor artist was given a pile of prints and WDI sketches and told "hurry, sketch up something for the outside of this building so we can publish it right away". And we ended up with a hybrid building in the rendering - half hotel, half main building.

That's just my guess though. I really don't think the guest room buildings will look like this.
I guess we shall see in the not so distant future.

Ignohippo

Is it just me or are those room interiors horribly ugly. I mean ouch.

It's one thing to do them on the cheap. But those things look like they were done on the cheap in 1972. Certainly there are ways to do them cheap that doesn't look that bad. Yowsers.

Cosmic Commando

It's one thing to do them on the cheap. But those things look like they were done on the cheap in 1972. Certainly there are ways to do them cheap that doesn't look that bad. Yowsers.
It will be like Pop or the All-Stars with better themed furniture. If you like the values, then you'll probably like this. If you don't like the values, well then what did you expect?

ChrisM

It's not just you. That looks like the 3rd or 4th Circle of Hell to me. Yikes.

(To be fair, I think the vinyl back-seat looking couch in the "Cars"-themed room was pretty cool.)

Tiggerdude

That link with all of the pictures was great. I'm a big fan of the value resorts. My thinking is that I would rather spend my time in the parks, and my money on merchandise than in a resort. We have stayed at Pop Century 3 times, and never had any issues with noise or trouble of any kind.

We just returned from a week at Pop, and with my job being in construction, I had to nose around. This may have been clarified already, but in looking at the ongoing construction, the new buildings will only have the outside corridor on one side. The existing buildings will be the same type of rooms as the existing Pop. They have been gutted to clean aything nasty from sitting abandoned and un-conditioned for 9 years. The site is a beehive of activity now.

trr1

That link with all of the pictures was great. I'm a big fan of the value resorts. My thinking is that I would rather spend my time in the parks, and my money on merchandise than in a resort. We have stayed at Pop Century 3 times, and never had any issues with noise or trouble of any kind.

We just returned from a week at Pop, and with my job being in construction, I had to nose around. This may have been clarified already, but in looking at the ongoing construction, the new buildings will only have the outside corridor on one side. The existing buildings will be the same type of rooms as the existing Pop. They have been gutted to clean aything nasty from sitting abandoned and un-conditioned for 9 years. The site is a beehive of activity now.
any pictures?

RunnerEd

I have a construction background as well. That's kind of what I figured they would do. I'm glad to have a "boots on the ground" report from someone who knows what he's looking at. Is all of the site prep work done or is there still some wiggle room on the final footprint?

Tom

Beta Return
I have a construction background as well. That's kind of what I figured they would do. I'm glad to have a "boots on the ground" report from someone who knows what he's looking at. Is all of the site prep work done or is there still some wiggle room on the final footprint?

It's pretty much etched in stone (almost literally) where all of the buildings will sit. Check out google earth or maps and you can see that they poured the footings and/or slab for all of the buildings.

I can't tell if they did all of their plumbing underslab rough-ins or not - but I imagine they've at least gotten sanitary INTO each building's footprint, so as not to have to bore later.

The new buildings will require a new plumbing configuration, unless they keep the bathrooms toward the middle of the building, which is where they would have been with back-to-back rooms.

RunnerEd

It's pretty much etched in stone (almost literally) where all of the buildings will sit. Check out google earth or maps and you can see that they poured the footings and/or slab for all of the buildings.

I can't tell if they did all of their plumbing underslab rough-ins or not - but I imagine they've at least gotten sanitary INTO each building's footprint, so as not to have to bore later.

The new buildings will require a new plumbing configuration, unless they keep the bathrooms toward the middle of the building, which is where they would have been with back-to-back rooms.

I saw what you were talking about on Google Earth but didn't know how "solid" those areas were. From the satelite shots, they could have simply been cleared and had the dirt brought in but no further than that. I agree that it would make sense if they have done the footings/plumbing rough in to just work with what's there. Thanks!!!!

Tom

Beta Return
I saw what you were talking about on Google Earth but didn't know how "solid" those areas were. From the satelite shots, they could have simply been cleared and had the dirt brought in but no further than that. I agree that it would make sense if they have done the footings/plumbing rough in to just work with what's there. Thanks!!!!

It appears that they started the block walls and some plumbing on 2 buildings (up north), and the other 6 are either just stone pads, or perhaps even the slab. Hard to tell, even on Bing's Bird's Eye.

Lots of weeds and grass growing up through, but you can still see the defined outline of all of the buildings. Plus, they all have their elevator pits installed, with safety railings around them. That tells me they've at least poured the foundations, since they pour elevator pits at the same time.

I'm leaning towards thinking they've built up those 6 pads out of #53 stone and have the footings poured. Time to set some block walls and pour a slab.

Tom

Beta Return
Photos From Jan 2 2011 of DAoA construction

http://picasaweb.google.com/tehood/DAoA?authkey=Gv1sRgCI_ZjviglLDz7gE&feat=directlink

Numbers still there. quite a bit of concrete walls, some look prefab ready to place others are in place very hard to get an idea of what is what.

How long have there been windows in the unfinished buildings?

Wow, very nice.

They're hitting it hard! That's a lot of progress since the last photos were taken. Heck, they may beat FLE at this rate. Ok, not really, but it seems as if the pace is a bit quicker.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom