New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Chi84

Premium Member
What are the requirements, legally? I am just curious. Such as what does an airline or a theater have to do? For ADA , I know about requiring ways into a pool, having ways other than stairs into buildings impaired, but not sure what it is how specifically these requirements are met in other instances. I did find a bit of case law on it and Disney argument which the court agreed with was this.

From the link below:

In court documents, Disney argues that it’s impossible for them to prevent these meltdowns and that they have no legal obligation to do so. They claim the court’s decision to move the suits to trial “assumes that Disney somehow has the ability, let alone legal obligation, to prevent meltdowns with instant and unrestricted ride entry.”
Security lines at the airports can get very long. I haven’t heard what accommodations they make for people with autism or anxiety. Maybe someone here can weigh in?

MickeyLuv'r

What are the requirements, legally? I am just curious. Such as what does an airline or a theater have to do? For ADA , I know about requiring ways into a pool, having ways other than stairs into buildings impaired, but not sure what it is how specifically these requirements are met in other instances. I did find a bit of case law on it and Disney argument which the court agreed with was this.

From the link below:

In court documents, Disney argues that it’s impossible for them to prevent these meltdowns and that they have no legal obligation to do so. They claim the court’s decision to move the suits to trial “assumes that Disney somehow has the ability, let alone legal obligation, to prevent meltdowns with instant and unrestricted ride entry.”
The idea of what is legal has been tossed around back and forth in this thread many times already, but IMO, Disney's accommodation has always served a further purpose. To some degree, Disney's interests are served if the most people possible have a positive experience when visiting the parks.

It is not in WDW's interest if people are suffering in the queues. Someone throwing up, or fainting, or having a panic attack is going to be disruptive.

Disney can't prevent all meltdowns of course, but Disney also wants to sell WDW as a happy place to be.

MickeyLuv'r

Security lines at the airports can get very long. I haven’t heard what accommodations they make for people with autism or anxiety. Maybe someone here can weigh in?
TSA Cares offers some options. A little like WDW, people call and discuss their specific needs. I don't know all they offer, but private screenings are an option. Some staff have extra training and expertise.

ditzee

Well, will they increase the number of Genie+ sold and increase the number of return times in the system?

I think they will need to increase the number of Genie+ as will as increase the number of return times in the system to accommodate the folks who previously legitimately qualified for DAS and now do not and need to be in the shortest queue possible.
It's going to be a fiasco because a lot of former DAS users will buy Genie+ (if they still patronize Disney).Then, there will be the "waaaghs" because former DAS users are making Genie+ run out faster.

Jrb1979

I said it might help, not that it would fix anything.

WDW does not have the capacity to make a paid line-skip system work, and they understood this during the 20+ years of free FP and FP +. Now everyone is suffering the consequences of that greed and there’s no help for that.
They do have the capacity if they made it similar to every other park and limited how many can buy it. Limit it to 10% of guests per day and price it accordingly

MickeyLuv'r

I think everyone can agree with this. And the current system, where a relatively small percentage of park guests were using a relatively huge amount of park capacity on all the popular rides belies that goal.
Sigh, yes.

But this thread keeps going in circles. with people saying the same thing over and over.

I know, it happens on many threads, but this one is starting to remind me of the covid thread. :banghead:

This is a big change, and there is much to discuss.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
It's going to be a fiasco because a lot of former DAS users will buy Genie+ (if they still patronize Disney).Then, there will be the "waaaghs" because former DAS users are making Genie+ run out faster.
It's a finite supply of accounted for capacity.

ditzee

They do have the capacity if they made it similar to every other park and limited how many can buy it. Limit it to 10% of guests per day and price it accordingly
I don't know why Disney wouldn't sell tiered tickets with Genie+ and/or Individual Lightning Lanes included in the price instead of the shuffle stupidity.. The tickets are already tiered at base and park hopping. Buy once and done and maybe have a few extra each day in case a few guests decide they want to add on.

Disstevefan1

What if they increase the number of Genie+ sold to accommodate the former DAS folks. Is it possible there will be the SAME number of folks in LL queues and the only difference is most are now paying to be in the LL queue?

Fido Chuckwagon

What if they increase the number of Genie+ sold to accommodate the former DAS folks. Is it possible there will be the SAME number of folks in LL queues and the only difference is most are now paying to be in the LL queue?
Even if this is what happens the capacity will still be more equitably distributed because DAS users use so much more capacity than even genie+ users can.

MickeyLuv'r

I don't know why Disney wouldn't sell tiered tickets with Genie+ and/or Individual Lightning Lanes included in the price instead of the shuffle stupidity.. The tickets are already tiered at base and park hopping. Buy once and done and maybe have a few extra each day in case a few guests decide they want to add on.
When the DAS changes were first announced, changes to G+ were also mentioned.
that's part of why i am reading this thread.

If G+ came with prebooks, it might mitigate the DAS changes to some degree.

April2248

Well, will they increase the number of Genie+ sold and increase the number of return times in the system?

I think they will need to increase the number of Genie+ as will as increase the number of return times in the system to accommodate the folks who previously legitimately qualified for DAS and now do not and need to be in the shortest queue possible.
My guess is no. Genie has always been separate from das.

April2248

From the link below:

Well they didn’t limit waits to 15 minutes lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom