New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Disstevefan1

No, a lot of the people who previously qualified for DAS could only sometimes not use standby. That’s why they tightened it up and offered new alternatives for that category of people.
Well just as you say legitimate DAS users who previous qualified but now do not, could sometimes use standby , I guess I cant assume they could never use stand by.

Neither of us can speak for each and every legitimate DAS users who previous qualified but now do not.

This DAS change will NOT be a magic fix for wait times of stand by and LL.

All we can hope for is a slight change in wait times.

April2248

Will standby queue times increase with less people being given DAS?🫠
Most likely and the lines will even fuller with more crabby people. I am worried we go in a few months and I have 4 kids with spectrum disorders and it will not work if we have to wait in standby. There will be screaming head butting head banging and probably vomiting.

ditzee

Most likely and the lines will even fuller with more crabby people. I am worried we go in a few months and I have 4 kids with spectrum disorders and it will not work if we have to wait in standby. There will be screaming head butting head banging and probably vomiting.
I'm sorry. Hoping all goes well for you.

Fido Chuckwagon

Well just as you say legitimate DAS users who previous qualified but now do not, could sometimes use standby , I guess I cant assume they could never use stand by.
I’m not assuming anything. In this very thread there is a user who admitted he got DAS for heat sensitivity, and absolutely could wait in indoor air-conditioned standby queues, but nevertheless used DAS. That user was absolutely a legitimate DAS user who could sometimes use standby.

April2248

Well when these wait times where posted over the holiday weekend people where saying it was evidence that the new DAS system was working.

Using that logic it is now safe to assume the new system isn’t helping at all.

Of course anyone with some sense would know that none of this matters, but hey why not stir the pot by posting completely useless data points
A lot of that was the drone show - almost no one went to mk but Epcot and Hollywood studios were packed.

Chi84

Premium Member

Neither of us can speak for each and every legitimate DAS users who previous qualified but now do not.

This DAS change will NOT be a magic fix for wait times of stand by and LL.

All we can hope for is a slight change in wait times.
I think it will help because of the limitations on Genie+. But as I’ve said Disney has now changed its business model to selling line-skips and I believe Len said at one point only 1 out of 4 guests in an LL appeared to have paid for it. That’s a definite concern for any business.

April2248

I was just saying this to someone. DAS should probably have been retired in favor of the other 2 accommodations and then Disney Guest Relations could offer some (unpublished) disability pass in the exceedingly rare circumstances where someone cannot otherwise experience the parks without. And IMO this pass should be like the old one back in the 90s where you more or less had unfettered access to skipping the standby queue.
So what about cases of autism where it’s unlikely either of these would work?

April2248

It sounds like the new alternative to DAS for this poster was DAS accommodations.

So it would make sense that DAS worked as well as DAS.
Honestly we will cancel if we don’t get approved. And that’s not a threat. We simply can’t do it. We tried genie and it required us to run all over the park with the youngest ones who can’t be rushed. We were five minutes they wouldn’t accommodate and with asd they fixate on certain rides - they would only be able to ride their favorite once. Sadly standby will end with them or someone in both injured crying and covered in puke.

Disstevefan1

I think it will help because of the limitations on Genie+. But as I’ve said Disney has now changed its business model to selling line-skips and I believe Len said at one point only 1 out of 4 guests in an LL appeared to have paid for it. That’s a definite concern for any business.
Well, will they increase the number of Genie+ sold and increase the number of return times in the system?

I think they will need to increase the number of Genie+ as will as increase the number of return times in the system to accommodate the folks who previously legitimately qualified for DAS and now do not and need to be in the shortest queue possible.

TrojanUSC

From what I have heard, a typical abuser of the service is a local FL AP. The suspicion is that they simply will ride less attractions; not purchase Genie+ because doing so every time they visit is not realistic and also not waiting on 75+ min waits because it just doesn't make sense for someone who lives so close.

I go to the parks often and have many friends who go to the parks often. No less than six people I know, all of them APs, have DAS for medical reasons which they all "need," but with a wink and a nod. Issues like "anxiety," "IBS" or "some new medication that makes me pee a lot." I think people are really underestimating the level of abuse that was out there, particularly among the local/influencer crowd.

At Disneyland, the number must have been astronomical - I'd guess that the percentage of Magic Key holders with DAS had to be 25%+.

Edit: I'd also add that one thing all of suggested is an unlimited G+ option for APs. If Disney offered a $500-600/year upcharge for unlimited G+, I think people would be happy to do it.

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

Agreed. 11 y/os are significantly different in many ways than a 5 year old. Not the least of which is size. When DD was 5 and needed physical assistance of any kind due to her disability (whether actual physical assistance to move or physical assistance to calm/regulate), it wasn't an issue - either DH or I could do it. Now? I can't provide any meaningful physical support. It legitimately causes me injury. I'm still in pain from trying to help her access a less than accessible field trip yesterday. It's not the same thing as a neurotypical 5 year old even remotely.
I don't know this kind of comparing is particularly useful or helpful.

There are plenty of older adults who were never diagnosed, but have a degree of neurodivergence. Today many girls and those who lack access to medical care are underdiagnosed.

If we see a 5 year old child in extreme distress in a queue at WDW or elsewhere, as external observers, we are not in a position to determine if that child is neurodivergent or not. It shouldn't matter.

Further, neurodivergent people are sometimes known to have some strengths other children do not have, like noticing small details that others overlook, or an exceptional ability to memorize. A number of neurodivergent people have successfully cultivated those strengths into exceptional careers.

I was surprised to recently learn that Henry Winkler has severe dyslexia that went undiagnosed in his youth. How many times were his struggles dismissed because the people around him did not understand?

The goal should be a WDW that everyone can enjoy.

Chi84

Premium Member
Well, will they increase the number of Genie+ sold and increase the number of return times in the system?

I think they will need to increase the number of Genie+ as will as increase the number of return times in the system to accommodate the folks who previously legitimately qualified for DAS and now do not and need to be in the shortest queue possible.
I said it might help, not that it would fix anything.

WDW does not have the capacity to make a paid line-skip system work, and they understood this during the 20+ years of free FP and FP +. Now everyone is suffering the consequences of that greed and there’s no help for that.

Club Cooloholic

The ADA is not limited to physical disabilities.
What are the requirements, legally? I am just curious. Such as what does an airline or a theater have to do? For ADA , I know about requiring ways into a pool, having ways other than stairs into buildings impaired, but not sure what it is how specifically these requirements are met in other instances. I did find a bit of case law on it and Disney argument which the court agreed with was this.

From the link below:

In court documents, Disney argues that it’s impossible for them to prevent these meltdowns and that they have no legal obligation to do so. They claim the court’s decision to move the suits to trial “assumes that Disney somehow has the ability, let alone legal obligation, to prevent meltdowns with instant and unrestricted ride entry.”

Fido Chuckwagon

What are the requirements, legally? I am just curious. Such as what does an airline or a theater have to do? For ADA , I know about requiring ways into a pool, having ways other than stairs into buildings impaired, but not sure what it is how specifically these requirements are met in other instances. I did find a bit of case law on it and Disney argument which the court agreed with was this.

From the link below:

In court documents, Disney argues that it’s impossible for them to prevent these meltdowns and that they have no legal obligation to do so. They claim the court’s decision to move the suits to trial “assumes that Disney somehow has the ability, let alone legal obligation, to prevent meltdowns with instant and unrestricted ride entry.”
That article is old. Disney won that lawsuit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom