New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

April2248

My son has level 1 and got denied today. We have used das in the past. We are passholders who are typically in the park for only a.few hours then leave to head back and relax at the resort. It worked for my son who if the wait is too long will vocally stim by singing. We don't want to bother others and will try to distract him by talking about other things, playing games etc but he will inevitably go back to singing. Now I'm the lady in line quieting my kid constantly to not disturb others with 2 younger kids. I was told we should use return to queue. I guarantee we will not be returning to most rides if we leave the line. Also we will now be bringing constant attention to my son who is sensitive about autism in the first place. I'm pretty disgusted with the whole situation. We will go early and leave around lunch. Probably be done for the day. Maybe next year we do universal instead and just stay in the premier hotels for unlimited express. Vacation shouldn't be stressful but Disney seems to be making it that way.
Any other diagnosis? Im
Sorry btw this is my fear.

jaklgreen

Individualized is great... my concern is the inconsistency will be experienced by a single person... which is bad.

If you take a 100 different employees, do not give them a clear method, give them conflicting motivations, and then say GO - you're gonna get dozens of different outcomes.

Imagine if every time you got in line for the same attraction, you never knew what you were going to get day to day. That's stressful and ripe for conflict.... ESPECIALLY when dealing with a situation where you are reducing the offering to someone.

It also opens Disney to huge liabilities when the accommodation assessment will vary from employee to employee.. That's not how Disney tends to roll. This whole system screams of being pushed by people who don't actually own all sides of the problem... it sounds like throwing it over the fence and believing they will just sort it out.

This will end up just being DAS assignment at the greeter position all over again...
Exactly. And people will get upset, rightfully so, if a cast member earlier gave them the return to queue for a ride, but the next shift cast member denied it. That is not a fun way to go about your vacation, not knowing if you will get the "right" or "wrong" cast member. It just sounds like an extremely frustrating experience for everyone.

April2248

Hugs. How frustrating 😥. Especially because the basic information they release makes it seem like your son should is who it should be for
Yeah now I’m super worried. The youngest two are asd level 2, spd, adhd, and ocd. The daughter also has odd and an anger disorder as well as severe anxiety. Our house is chaos every day and I am constantly trying to end meltdowns.

April2248

Sure, except there is a difference between an 11 year old with autism and a 5 year old. I have both. I wouldn't try to get accommodations for my 5 year old. Why? Because he will outgrow being 5. My daughter will not outgrow autism.

We teach her strategies, we make accommodations for her in our lives, we do our best. Many years of therapy and practice have gotten us to this place where she can wait in a 30-40 minute line. Level 1 autism requires accommodations to participate in normal, daily activities.

Like I said, we if we get denied and get nothing (which is what I'm betting on), we'll be fine, but bummed. We'll have a nice trip, but it will be a different trip.
That’s awesome. Mine can’t even do 15 minutes. The girl starts screaming until she vomits and the boy screams rocks flaps and eventually will hit his head on the ground. They are between ages 11 and 14 so too big to carry out. I’m having massive panic attacks thinking about being denied. They are both level 2 with several other diagnosis. Technically other two would Qualify too but they are better able to handle things. Sadly when the younger ones go nuts, it triggers a meltdown in me too and I start crying. It’s very traumatic and then there’s always those peo ppl e that stare at you like you are the worlds worst parent

Angel Ariel

What are the requirements, legally? I am just curious. Such as what does an airline or a theater have to do? For ADA , I know about requiring ways into a pool, having ways other than stairs into buildings impaired, but not sure what it is how specifically these requirements are met in other instances. I did find a bit of case law on it and Disney argument which the court agreed with was this.

From the link below:

In court documents, Disney argues that it’s impossible for them to prevent these meltdowns and that they have no legal obligation to do so. They claim the court’s decision to move the suits to trial “assumes that Disney somehow has the ability, let alone legal obligation, to prevent meltdowns with instant and unrestricted ride entry.”
It's been a very long day in a very long week and I'm in a good amount of pain right now, so i just honestly don't have the bandwidth to go google and bring back sources and such. There's a lot readily available to read online (though don't go looking to the ADA for flight/airline stuff - that's regulated under another act I believe).

I appreciate the question and I know you are sincere, so please know my response right now is also sincere and not at all snarky. If I had the bandwidth I'd happily engage - I just don't have it in me tonight and didn't want you to think I was ignoring you

jaklgreen

Honestly we will cancel if we don’t get approved. And that’s not a threat. We simply can’t do it. We tried genie and it required us to run all over the park with the youngest ones who can’t be rushed. We were five minutes they wouldn’t accommodate and with asd they fixate on certain rides - they would only be able to ride their favorite once. Sadly standby will end with them or someone in both injured crying and covered in puke.
This is something that I wanted to point out also and it goes with what you just said. I think that many are seeing this from their healthy point of view. But for many of us, we spend a good portion of the day dealing with our issues. For example, with my issue, I can get flare ups where I can't really do anything for a couple of hours other than walk from one bathroom to the next. If I had a Genie+ return time in that time frame, I would be out of luck.
This is why DAS worked so great for me, because I could book my return time and if I happen to have a flare up, I had the rest of the day to get back to that ride. As it is, I only do about 3 rides a day, if that. And as I posted earlier, many rides are just not doable even with DAS.
I know that there are a lot of families that are in a similar situation, having to spend a good deal of time dealing with their medical issues. Most of us don't do rope drop or stay until close. A lot of these scenarios that are being discussed here are how a healthy person would go about if they didn't have DAS. I think that it is important to remind people that we are talking about people with legitimate medical conditions, not just the fakers. A bit more understanding would be nice.

lazyboy97o

What are the requirements, legally? I am just curious. Such as what does an airline or a theater have to do? For ADA , I know about requiring ways into a pool, having ways other than stairs into buildings impaired, but not sure what it is how specifically these requirements are met in other instances. I did find a bit of case law on it and Disney argument which the court agreed with was this.

From the link below:

In court documents, Disney argues that it’s impossible for them to prevent these meltdowns and that they have no legal obligation to do so. They claim the court’s decision to move the suits to trial “assumes that Disney somehow has the ability, let alone legal obligation, to prevent meltdowns with instant and unrestricted ride entry.”
The law as written is, by design, very open ended. Yes, there are some specific regulations, with the Standards for Accessible Design being the most visible and well known., but they’re not everything. The baselines is that disabilities are to be accommodated in a reasonable manner, but the specifics are up to the business to work out and then potentially defend if challenged.

sndral

From the link below:

There’s no simple answer to what is legally required, although the 9th circuit case brought by plaintiffs who were denied DAS passes offers some clarity.
Preliminarily, the party seeking accommodation must show they are disabled. One of the California DAS litigants lost because the court found his anxiety wasn’t a disability for ADA purposes.
Once the plaintiff proves they are disabled they must prove that the requested modification is reasonable & that it is necessary.
The standard for what is necessary is does the offered accommodation give plaintiff access to a ‘like experience’ to that of non disabled guests. The other 9th circuit DAS plaintiff lost on this point. Disney offered them a wheelchair which Plaintiff declined & the court found that to be sufficient.
Finally, even if the plaintiff meets their burden the defendant can refuse the requested accommodation if they can show that it would ‘fundamentally alter‘ their businesses services to other visitors. The court in Disney’s 11th circuit GAC case found that GAC was severely impacting non GAC users by lengthening their wait times resulting in reduced guest satisfaction which they held to be a fundamental alteration of Disney’s services to those other visitors.
I seriously doubt that Disney would have changed the DAS system unless it had reached the no longer sustainable point that GAC reached 11 years ago.
I don’t know how much longer standby lines are because of DAS, but I assume Disney did the same studies on DAS that they did before they abandoned GAC & that the results were similar to the GAC results a decade ago & found that ‘the portion of the population holding …passes was consuming a substantial portion of ride capacity.’

DisneyHead123

On the updated DAS system, are DAS users limited to a single ride of any given attraction per day?
I’m 99% sure the answer is no as that would be legally problematic. Accommodations are supposed to provide access that is closer to what a non disabled customer has. At Disney, non disabled guests can re-ride the same thing over and over, so DAS also has to allow for re-rides.

Chi84

Premium Member
I’m 99% sure the answer is no as that would be legally problematic. Accommodations are supposed to provide access that is closer to what a non disabled customer has. At Disney, non disabled guests can re-ride the same thing over and over, so DAS also has to allow for re-rides.
Oh I think that’s drilling down way too far in figuring out what is required in way of accommodation.

DisneyHead123

Oh I think that’s drilling down way too far in figuring out what is required in way of accommodation.
Really? That one actually seems pretty fundamental to me. If a non disabled guest wants to stand in line for Space Mountain over and over and over they are totally allowed to do that. Ergo a DAS user can do the same. I feel like limiting it would be similar to making handicapped parking spots 30 minutes only in a parking lot where everyone else can park all day.

ConfettiCupcake

There’s been a lot of talk in here on and off about restricting the number of times a DAS user could use it.

To be honest, it feels like if you can say you’d be okay with a limit (a limit that is strict enough to actually be felt and have impact), you probably don’t actually need DAS. Their other accommodations will probably suffice for those small number of times it would be needed. I’d exclude the people who only say this because all they do is a small number of attractions before leaving.

Chi84

Premium Member
Really? That one actually seems pretty fundamental to me. If a non disabled guest wants to stand in line for Space Mountain over and over and over they are totally allowed to do that. Ergo a DAS user can do the same. I feel like limiting it would be similar to making handicapped parking spots 30 minutes only in a parking lot where everyone else can park all day.
There’s nothing to prevent a disabled guest from riding multiple times. Are you talking about giving DAS holders unlimited line-skips while Disney is selling Genie+ to many of its guests and limiting them to one ride?

I think you have to look at the reality of Disney’s current business model and how it’s being employed in the parks. A court won’t look at how many times a non disabled guest can theoretically get on rides.

DisneyHead123

There’s nothing to prevent a disabled guest from riding multiple times. Are you talking about giving DAS holders unlimited line-skips while Disney is selling Genie+ to many of its guests and limiting them to one ride?

I think you have to look at the reality of Disney’s current business model and how it’s being employed in the parks. A court won’t look at how many times a non disabled guest can theoretically get on rides.
The whole concept behind DAS is that it is a line alternative though, not an absolute “skip”. It’s supposed to provide equal access to lines but without standing in a physical line. Saying a disabled guest can’t stand in their accommodated version of a line as many times as they want to sounds like a clear case of discrimination, as non disabled guests can stand in line as many times as they want to.

Chi84

Premium Member
The whole concept behind DAS is that it is a line alternative though, not an absolute “skip”. It’s supposed to provide equal access to lines but without standing in a physical line. Saying a disabled guest can’t stand in their accommodated version of a line as many times as they want to sounds like a clear case of discrimination, as non disabled guests can stand in line as many times as they want to.
Right now there is nothing in the law that requires Disney to give line-skips (I know what they are - same as Genie+) at all, much less unlimited ones.

Given the nature of the theme park business and Disney’s current business model, I don’t think any court is going to impose that requirement on it, much less require it to be unlimited.

I could be wrong, obviously, because court cases are decided on particular facts and no case has been filed yet (as far as I know).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom