New attractions for AK

Well they could put BK up at the top red circle i outlined.

I forgot to clarify, the lower circle where BK is supposed to go would take out Camp Minnie Mickey entirely and use that as part of a new land.
Well I'm not to sure. I've read that CMM was always planned to be on the way to BK, but I've also read that once BK was cut, due to the budget, CMM was designed and put onto some of the land. Can anyone clarify?

RSoxNo1

Well, you throw an E-ticket attraction (possibly with plans to add a second off in the future), a C- or D-ticket (or two), restaurant (TS & CS), a couple shops, and a few animal exhibits and some street entertainment, and you've got yourself a land that people will spend an hour or two in, and not just a very long pathway with a ride alongside it. That's a LOT of land back there. You could almost duplicate Kilimanjaro Safaris on that land...

Or another size comparison, how about ALL of Adventureland (including the full Pirates show buildings, Jungle Cruise and the block of buildings that contains Tiki Room and Country Bears) plus Haunted Mansion tacked on for good measure?

The walk from the main area of Asia to the CS train station then becomes the equivalent of walking from the Hub to Splash via Adventureland, with all the attractions and other things to see and do along the way. (About the only downside is that once you make that walk, you'd be forced to either re-trace your steps, or hop on the railroad to get back, which is actually how Fronteirland was back in the days before Caribbean Plaza was built...)

You'd increase visits to the exhibits at CS, increase ridership on the railroad (which would then help justify the expense of the upkeep on the locomotives), and all those new attractions drawing people into the park. A win-win-win in my book.

-Rob

I agree about the size of that area north of Asia. It's huge. It's even larger if they want to extend to the other side of the access road. That would allow for an Asian Safari comparable in scope to Kilimanjaro Safaris. However as much as I would like another major Animal expansion to the park, I don't think it's the #1 demand. I really think it needs more attractions that aren't based on live animals. That's how the day will be extended.

I really think having Rafiki's Planet Watch accessible only by train is a huge mistake. Because of the nature of what Rafiki's Planet Watch is, I do think it's something that could reside on a walking path beyond an area that's connected to that Africa to Asia pathway.

I don't know how unrealistic it would be to move Maharajah Jungle Trek either, but if that's a viable option, I think providing that amount of space to access the large patch of land would be ideal.

For me, that park should stick with a continent theme, and the large patch of land near Asia should be used as Europe. You don't have to recreate Beastly Kingdom, but there are certainly elements of it that could take shape there. It would also be a prime location for a major attraction.

I think the Camp Minnie Mickey area should maintain a North America/Adirondack theme, you can keep the meet and greets, and you can put in a walking path that would feature North American animals. I would also suggest a Bambi dark ride.

Festival of the Lion King could either stay in that area or be moved to a walkway between Africa and Rafiki's Planet Watch as a transitional element of sorts.

Lastly, many have suggested Australia as a land, and I think that could be a relatively easy thing to do as well. While Kangaroos are already in the Tree of Life exhibits, and Wallaby's are in the Oasis, they can moved to a pathway near Finding Nemo the Musical. Add some Koala's (which don't take up a substantial amount of space), and a ride, and you have 3 significant attractions in the land.

Thats what I am saying! I want the Dragon castle and the Loch Ness Restaurant.

In some early concepts of the Discovery River boats there was meant to be a Kraken, I'm not sure of the Loch Ness monster was ever involved, but I would love to see the boats revived and mythical animals incorporated like once intended.

I have been told there wont be anything major at Animal Kingdom. until after the Hawaii resort opens. since WDI has Joe Rohdes team working on that project.

Next Big Thing

I believe they announced the Fantasy Land Expansion right after some big Harry Potter announcement. So maybe they'll continue to be "stupid".

The FLE announcement came during last year's D23 Expo.......

There was a WWoHP announcement around the same time as the FLE and D23 last year in september, but it was (smartly) Universal who waited until after the D23 Expo to make their announcement. Here is a link to their announcement form 9/15/09: http://www.disunplugged.com/2009/09/15/universal-releases-wizarding-world-of-harry-potter-details/.

It has been updated a few times since that initial post so you'll have to scroll down just a bit if you want to see it.

MotherOfBirds

I recall hearing tell of WWoHP sometime in 07/08, long before FLE was on anyones radar. I imagine it took Disney a bit to formulate their response.

Anyhow, can anyone give me a good reason as to a. Why Rafiki's Planet Watch was even built and b. Why they haven't scrapped it by now. It isn't like guests are coming in droves to pet a goat and have more environmental messages shoved down their throats.:shrug:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well I'm not to sure. I've read that CMM was always planned to be on the way to BK, but I've also read that once BK was cut, due to the budget, CMM was designed and put onto some of the land. Can anyone clarify?
BM was cut so CMM was designed and built - after park construction had already begun - for somewhere around the pocket change level of a million dollars.

IWant2GoNow

But they can't. It would require a lot of tearing down and relocating buildings just to build a path to get to it.

Walt and the Imagineers firmly believe in the statement "Yes, if..." and never "No, because...". They can build anything they want to get over to that area. I have full belief that if BK or MI or whatever they are conjuring up goes anywhere, that it would best fit right there where there is more room to create a vast new land.

That would be pretty stupid. Nothing will steal WWoHP's thunder that day.

Pretty sure it's marsh.

And am I the only person that thinks Australia should go where BK was supposed to go, and BK go behind Asia. The yeti is mythical so having Everest as the borderline between Asia and BK sounds perfect, plus it would be a nice sightline from both lands.

This, story wise, is the best fit yet. The Yeti left BK to avoid humans who were endangering his habitat and now resides in the mountain of Everest. Sounds perfect as you say. :sohappy:

imagineer boy

Walt and the Imagineers firmly believe in the statement "Yes, if..." and never "No, because...". They can build anything they want to get over to that area. I have full belief that if BK or MI or whatever they are conjuring up goes anywhere, that it would best fit right there where there is more room to create a vast new land.

Believe me, it wouldn't work. Especially since you would have to have a VERY long one-way walkway that would cause crowd taffic problems. What I think should go in that space is maybe an Animal Kingdom Lodge-like resort but themed to Asia since its in close proximity to the Asia themed area.

Now here's what I think should be done. Build Beastly Kingdom over Camp Minnie-Mickey, and build Australia on the west side of animal kingdom where some backstage buildings are now (there's really not that many, they can be easily torn down and rebuilt some place else.).

Anyhow, can anyone give me a good reason as to a. Why Rafiki's Planet Watch was even built and b. Why they haven't scrapped it by now. It isn't like guests are coming in droves to pet a goat and have more environmental messages shoved down their throats.:shrug:
It may not bring in the crowds, but it expresses the message of AK and shows the guests some of the backstage stuff at AK. Plus you get to meet Rafiki, Jiminy Cricket, and Pocahontas. I'm sure this section also pleases PETA as I believe they were very loud during the park's planning and construction.
BM was cut so CMM was designed and built - after park construction had already begun - for somewhere around the pocket change level of a million dollars.
Thanks! :wave:
This, story wise, is the best fit yet. The Yeti left BK to avoid humans who were endangering his habitat and now resides in the mountain of Everest. Sounds perfect as you say. :sohappy:
Thank you, thank you. I try. :)

Tigerace81

And am I the only person that thinks Australia should go where BK was supposed to go, and BK go behind Asia. The yeti is mythical so having Everest as the borderline between Asia and BK sounds perfect, plus it would be a nice sightline from both lands.

I believe it should go there also. Put Australia where BK is supposed to go, and put Europe up at the top where I circled that already cleared place of land.

Probably wont happen for a long time though if any new land is added.

I believe it should go there also. Put Australia where BK is supposed to go, and put Europe up at the top where I circled that already cleared place of land.

Probably wont happen for a long time though if any new land is added.
A Europe section with mythical tie-ins is what Busch Gardens Virgina is all about.

BrerFrog

It may not bring in the crowds, but it expresses the message of AK and shows the guests some of the backstage stuff at AK. Plus you get to meet Rafiki, Jiminy Cricket, and Pocahontas. I'm sure this section also pleases PETA as I believe they were very loud during the park's planning and construction.

That is true, I think that place has a beautiful message but its potential is totally wasted. I mean, a petting zoo for goats?! :brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom