New attractions for AK

Rob562

My thoughts: He's wrong. While that expansion pad certainly exists, it's inacccessible right now. You would have to do a variety of things to access it.
  1. Modify or Move Maharajah Jungle Trek
  2. Modify or Re-Move the Wildlife Express Train
  3. Modify or Re-Move Kali River Rapids
The idea that has been thrown out most often has been modifying or removing the wildlife express train, but it seems that logistically all of this would be a nightmare. I would also say that if you look at the Animal Kingdom like a map of the world, it doesn't make sense to put Australia in that location. It would make more sense to put a Europe land devoted to mythical animals in that location. The problem with that is that it would likely be too similar to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Actually, Kali and the train would be able to stay as-is. The only thing that would have to get re-worked is the last part of the Jungle Trek, from the exit of the bridge overlooking the tigers back to the entrance, which for the most part is just the walk-through aviary (which a lot of people zoom right through because the birds there aren't as visible as the one on Pangani in Africa).

They could easily extend the main pathway from Asia, and thread it between the Jungle Trek and Kali River Rapids. Looking at aerial views, the only things that would have to be relocated slightly are a couple backstage animal buildings, of which there is plenty of room to "shuffle" them west around the edge of the Jungle Trek. There's also the shop associated with Kali, but that's easily disguised.

Once you're beyond that narrow stretch (which is about the equivalent distance of Yak & Yeti to the bathrooms near EE), you open right up into the expansion pad, with tons of space to build.
On the northern end, you simply connect to the walkways by the Conservation Station train station, and the train gets something to actually LOOK at between CS and Harambe, and not just trees. This also gives Guests the option of walking or taking the train to Conservation Station, or walking in one direction and taking the train in the other. The train becomes a TRUE mode of transportation within the park, and not just a necessary ride to go on to get to CS.

As for using the CMM land, the only thing standing in the way of using it for a major expansion (well, apart from money and management) is FotLK, which has been discussed before.

Well, looking at aerial photos, there's a grove of trees behind Tusker House just *asking* to have a brand new theater built on it to house the relocated show, with access along the nice, wide walkway between TH and the river... (Which right now only leads to a nice, quiet and secluded spot to eat your lunch or taking a break in the shade...)

-Rob

RSoxNo1

Thanks for the explanation Rob. I guess the question then becomes, does it make sense to have people navigate that far back there to an area that is otherwise secluded? It would stand to reason that the only logical thing to put in that area is another Asia attraction where the bulk of the space is occupied by a ride instead of a walking path.

Rob562

Thanks for the explanation Rob. I guess the question then becomes, does it make sense to have people navigate that far back there to an area that is otherwise secluded? It would stand to reason that the only logical thing to put in that area is another Asia attraction where the bulk of the space is occupied by a ride instead of a walking path.

Well, you throw an E-ticket attraction (possibly with plans to add a second off in the future), a C- or D-ticket (or two), restaurant (TS & CS), a couple shops, and a few animal exhibits and some street entertainment, and you've got yourself a land that people will spend an hour or two in, and not just a very long pathway with a ride alongside it. That's a LOT of land back there. You could almost duplicate Kilimanjaro Safaris on that land...

Or another size comparison, how about ALL of Adventureland (including the full Pirates show buildings, Jungle Cruise and the block of buildings that contains Tiki Room and Country Bears) plus Haunted Mansion tacked on for good measure?

The walk from the main area of Asia to the CS train station then becomes the equivalent of walking from the Hub to Splash via Adventureland, with all the attractions and other things to see and do along the way. (About the only downside is that once you make that walk, you'd be forced to either re-trace your steps, or hop on the railroad to get back, which is actually how Fronteirland was back in the days before Caribbean Plaza was built...)

You'd increase visits to the exhibits at CS, increase ridership on the railroad (which would then help justify the expense of the upkeep on the locomotives), and all those new attractions drawing people into the park. A win-win-win in my book.

-Rob

zweltar

I'll hope that they do something interesting with DAK, but until I hear something official from Disney, I'm not going to get excited at all about any expansion or additions.

Spike-in-Berlin

How do they even get to these old threads? I can only go one month back.

I think they use the search function. I used it a few days ago to find threads about my favorite project, Fire Mountain (oh my god I said it out loud) and the search function brought up threads that were more than 8 years old.

MotherOfBirds

This was 6 mos or so before the FLE rumors began to surface, but I remember a lot of speculation on either this board or Micechat that perhaps TDS Journey to the Center of the Earth would be headed our way.

And perhaps we don't see a lot of fodder for an Austalia land, but you know the imagineers will come up with anything and everything ^^ I personally would like to see South America make an appearance and get rid of that ridiculous Dinoland carnival disaster

PurpleDragon

MK bathroom cleaners know about expansion plans at AK!?

No, hence why I made that statement. Outlandish claims from some random newcomer on the site tells me that his "sources" are completely out of touch, like potentially a bathroom cleaner at MK thinking hes in the loop about the goings on at AK.:p

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The keeper of the stool is a top job, so I wouldn't be surprised if the cludgy cleaner were well placed to catch things that were accidentally released.

JustInTime

I have said it once, I will say it 1,000 times. Beastly Kingdom/Mysterious Island are the ONLY things that can solve Animal Kingdom's major problems. We need more mythical creatures represented in Animal Kingdom. So, I will sit and pout until it happens. :brick:

PurpleDragon

I have said it once, I will say it 1,000 times. Beastly Kingdom/Mysterious Island are the ONLY things that can solve Animal Kingdom's major problems. We need more mythical creatures represented in Animal Kingdom. So, I will sit and pout until it happens. :brick:

Especially seeing the park logo still has a dragon in it.

disney-animal-kingdom-logo-787823.jpg

It would make sense for them to actually have a dragon themed attraction. While I admit the yeti fills the the mythical creature gap, it can't stand alone, he needs friends.

fractal

If an official announcement of an AK expansion is going to be made - my guess is that it will be around June 18th ( Grand Opening of Harry Potter ).

JustInTime

Especially seeing the park logo still has a dragon in it.

disney-animal-kingdom-logo-787823.jpg

It would make sense for them to actually have a dragon themed attraction. While I admit the yeti fills the the mythical creature gap, it can't stand alone, he needs friends.

Thats what I am saying! I want the Dragon castle and the Loch Ness Restaurant.

Tigerace81

So after looking at the latest satellite images on Bing, there is really only two places anything major can go.

AKa.png

Those two areas are the only ones "prepared" and can make an easy connection to the park.

Anyone know what that spot marked with a ? is for?

If an official announcement of an AK expansion is going to be made - my guess is that it will be around June 18th ( Grand Opening of Harry Potter ).
That would be pretty stupid. Nothing will steal WWoHP's thunder that day.
So after looking at the latest satellite images on Bing, there is really only two places anything major can go.

AKa.png

Those two areas are the only ones "prepared" and can make an easy connection to the park.

Anyone know what that spot marked with a ? is for?
Pretty sure it's marsh.

And am I the only person that thinks Australia should go where BK was supposed to go, and BK go behind Asia. The yeti is mythical so having Everest as the borderline between Asia and BK sounds perfect, plus it would be a nice sightline from both lands.

Tigerace81

Well they could put BK up at the top red circle i outlined.

I forgot to clarify, the lower circle where BK is supposed to go would take out Camp Minnie Mickey entirely and use that as part of a new land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom