New attractions for AK

IWant2GoNow

Wow... summer's starting 20 days early here on the boards. While we're at it, I heard that the Disney's Villain Kingdom will open any day now. With 30 E-tickets and a VillaiNight fireworks stage show. :brick:

devoy1701

I'll bite... Wasn't the land behind Everest re-cleared/bulldozed within the past year?

No way we'll get something new in 2011, but maybe the info was alittle dated/from before some business plans were adjusted because of the economy, etc. Maybe the resort is finally going to start gaining some momentum again, and what better time to announce another expansion on it's way than when FLE opens up? I don't think it's out of the question that we might have a AK project underway in the near future.

Of course this is me thinking logically...and just like the multi-billion dollar company that I work for...ideas in big companies don't seem to flow in the most logical way...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'll bite... Wasn't the land behind Everest re-cleared/bulldozed within the past year?

No way we'll get something new in 2011, but maybe the info was alittle dated/from before some business plans were adjusted because of the economy, etc. Maybe the resort is finally going to start gaining some momentum again, and what better time to announce another expansion on it's way than when FLE opens up? I don't think it's out of the question that we might have a AK project underway in the near future.

Of course this is me thinking logically...and just like the multi-billion dollar company that I work for...ideas in big companies don't seem to flow in the most logical way...
No. It was cleared during the original construction of the park somewhere around 1996.

devoy1701

No. It was cleared during the original construction of the park somewhere around 1996.

But I thought I read on here awhile back that it was re-cleared recently (recently being last yr or 2). Probably just another hoax thread...but that still doesn't negate the thought process I was going with in my first post.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
But I thought I read on here awhile back that it was re-cleared recently (recently being last yr or 2). Probably just another hoax thread...but that still doesn't negate the thought process I was going with in my first post.
I have not heard of that but considering that the area was almost 100% stripped "re-clearing" could be done with a riding lawn mower. From my understanding it has been used for storage since the park opened so it is conceivable that areas not being used would not receive a regular mowing. If those unused areas were needed they of course would be "re-cleared".

jjharvpro

Animal Kingdom is loved by many, but I think(and for sure others are with me) that this is the weakest park by far. Everest brought it to a whole new level, but still-they need some umph! I think it would be great for an AK expansion, but I do not think that it is underway physically. Most likely(if real), the Imagineers have been discussing it for a while!

PurpleDragon

Animal Kingdom is loved by many, but I think(and for sure others are with me) that this is the weakest park by far. Everest brought it to a whole new level, but still-they need some umph! I think it would be great for an AK expansion, but I do not think that it is underway physically. Most likely(if real), the Imagineers have been discussing it for a while!

I wouldn't doubt that Imagineers are brainstorming constantly on how they can push the execs to approve an expansion budget, but as of this moment there is nothing stirring that is of any merit.

Evil Genius

I wouldn't doubt that Imagineers are brainstorming constantly on how they can push the execs to approve an expansion budget, but as of this moment there is nothing stirring that is of any merit.

This is so true!

The imagineer (or should I say now former imagineer...he started his own business) told the group I was with that we wouldn't believe how many projects are on the table for possible completion just waiting on the go ahead from the "powers that be". Some projects are obviously closer to fruition (i.e. something is coming to AK...just not anytime soon) but there are those 'Blue Sky' projects that may well set on the shelf for the unforeseen future.

Jerm

No really guys, I heard this also!!!! My sister is dating a guy that works at an airport, that heard from a guy who was putting the luggage on the plane, that talked to a guy at the ticket counter, that he had gotten an IM from a guy that worked for Magic Express, who got a tweet from a guy he knows that drives one of the buses on property, that he had seen a blog by a guy that helps with the monkeys, that he had seen a guy with a tie carrying the plans for something HUGE!!!!
:hammer:

fractal

I heard it's going to be a new meet and greet featuring the Yeti, Hopper and Carnotaurus. It's going to be called; Broken Audio-Animatronics Land.

Evil Genius

No really guys, I heard this also!!!! My sister is dating a guy that works at an airport, that heard from a guy who was putting the luggage on the plane, that talked to a guy at the ticket counter, that he had gotten an IM from a guy that worked for Magic Express, who got a tweet from a guy he knows that drives one of the buses on property, that he had seen a blog by a guy that helps with the monkeys, that he had seen a guy with a tie carrying the plans for something HUGE!!!!

Very nice. It blows my mind how much credence people put into these rumors they receive from "sources". They might as well be talking to themselves in the mirror.

TimNRA757

Actually he was just carrying new order sheets for paper towels...

RSoxNo1

Here's what's going on with the Animal Kingdom right now... nothing.

Here's what could happen with the Animal Kingdom

Source Kevin Yee on Episode 16 of our show:
The expansion pad behind Asia is the future home of Australia
My thoughts: He's wrong. While that expansion pad certainly exists, it's inacccessible right now. You would have to do a variety of things to access it.
  1. Modify or Move Maharajah Jungle Trek
  2. Modify or Re-Move the Wildlife Express Train
  3. Modify or Re-Move Kali River Rapids
The idea that has been thrown out most often has been modifying or removing the wildlife express train, but it seems that logistically all of this would be a nightmare. I would also say that if you look at the Animal Kingdom like a map of the world, it doesn't make sense to put Australia in that location. It would make more sense to put a Europe land devoted to mythical animals in that location. The problem with that is that it would likely be too similar to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Source Jim Hill on Episode 21 of our show:
The only thing being sought after right now for the Animal Kingdom is a World of Color type show for the lagoon area near Expedition Everest, and even that is unlikely.
My thoughts: While they are currently not being used, I would think a World of Color type show in that area would make it very difficult for the Discovery River Boats to operate. While I would welcome this type of nighttime show, I would like to see a way where they can incorporate both a nighttime show as well as reopening the River Boats with significant enhancements.

Other ideas thrown around this site:
  1. Relocation of Festival of the Lion King, and a version of Mysterious Island to take over Camp Minnie Mickey - I haven't heard much about this in a while.
  2. Leveling of Dinorama to make way for Australia - I think this is more a fanboy dream

To summarize, none of these ideas seem to be concrete enough to get our hopes up. The good news is, there are areas for expansion in this park. The bad news is, it appears that nothing is imminent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom