New announcement.. "the year of we ain"t doing nothing.."

Status
Not open for further replies.

menamechris

I don't think Comcast ever wanted the parks. That may have changed since Harry Potter has brought a lot of new revenue, but it's probably more likely that Comcast is purchasing from Blackstone to make it easier to sell the entire unit rather than just their 50% interest.

This is exactly what I have understood. It's not a matter of Comcast wanting 100% - its a matter of Blackstone not wanting their 50%. It is more responsible for a parent company to reacquire interest than to cross their fingers and hope for the best when the other side sells. Regardless.... I don't know why someone felt it necessary to debate a news headline... :hammer:

ASHLAND WDW MAN

Hey ATOMICMICKEY how about these general predictions, the World Series winner will be.... the first team to win 4 games in the series and of course the Super Bowl winner will outscore the loser of the game. Have a great day and let me know if you need any other predictions because I am full of (it), ah I mean them.

George

Liker of Things
I know what you mean. You would think that being the longest serving federal judge would at least score you a meet n greet.:lol:

PhilharMagician said:
but "it's a wonderful Life"

Bravo to both of you. I'm not a fan of the Henry Potter referenced by Philharmagician. I believe he's a jerk. Yoda's Henry Potter I'm wholly unfamiliar with. :lol:

freediverdude

Well let's take a look at those new attractions, shall we?

I would hardly say nothing is happening. Outside of California Adventure, I don't think there is any US resort that is getting anywhere near the additions of WDW.

Just off the top of my head
Star Tours II (pretty much just an update to the movie, unlike Disneyland)
New Haunted Mansion queue and Hitchhiking Ghosts scene (very minor)
Magic, Memories and You (seriously? lol)
Town Square Theater (required while Toontown is gone)
Complete refurb of all Main Street Exteriors (normal maintenance)
Wild Africa Trek (money-grabbing extra tour)
New Tiki room (yes a welcome refurb but not a new attraction)

2012 - 2013
New Dumbo (again, we already had Dumbo, now we have two, lol)
Little Mermaid (ok one actual new B-C ticket yay)
Snow White coaster (have to see whether this is another Goofy's Barnstormer)
New Fantasyland restaurants and place-making (seriously, a teeny model of Beast's castle with no attraction, just another restaurant?)
Art of Animation Resort (this should have been the other half of Pop Century long long ago, and now they're trying to turn it into $200+ per night suites)

+ whatever else will be announced, which is likely.

I rest my case.

PhilharMagician

Meanwhile the news reports today say that Universal Orlando has been sold to Comcast. Hhmmmm...

I am not arguing a lot of what you say, as I think many parts of WDW are in dire need of work and improvements, BUT the expansions that Universal do now will probably be it. And though they have been extremely hyped up and good for Universal, these would be considered minor expansions if Disney had done them.

While not quite sold yet, what is really interesting is the rumored price of 1 - 1.5 billion. That would be some bargain for 50% of Universal parks. Anyone what to chip in a few bucks?

George

Liker of Things
I would hardly say nothing is happening. Outside of California Adventure, I don't think there is any US resort that is getting anywhere near the additions of WDW.

Just off the top of my head
Star Tours II
New Haunted Mansion queue and Hitchhiking Ghosts scene
Magic, Memories and You
Town Square Theater
Complete refurb of all Main Street Exteriors
Wild Africa Trek
New Tiki room

2012 - 2013
New Dumbo
Little Mermaid
Snow White coaster
New Fantasyland restaurants and place-making
Art of Animation Resort

+ whatever else will be announced, which is likely.

This is all true. However, I think that a pervasive feeling that exists that more could/should be for two reasons. 1) After years of not doing much, Universal has started to add nice things (even beyond Potter). However, in the big picture sense they don't have to do as much since their resort footprint is smaller which leads me to 2) I think that the size of WDW means that something is always going to be lacking attention. So...if something new were announced for WS and DAK tomorrow, people would wonder why TL wasn't receiving any attention or why DHS didn't have a more muscular Pixar Place, etc. ,etc. I'm not sure if anything can be reasonably done for this problem. An interesting analysis (which I don't want to undertake due to time constraints (i.e. laziness)) would be to look at the property wide rate of additions/refurbs since a 4th gate was added and see if there have been significant peaks/valleys over the past 13 years. Now, I'm not saying the current rate of progress is adequate. WDW may be a bit over-extended. However, that's a different argument than nothing is happening at WDW.

JohnnyDollaz89

So, um, where's the press release from Universal? What is THE TON that they are doing, right now?

Where is this Fanstasy Land that you speak of?

And, as long as you know that the final Henry Potter film will be making record box office, can I get the final scores for the World Series, Super Bowl, etc. from you, as well, please? That would be helpful, thanks!

LOLOL now thats funny

devoy1701

Wow, how pithy....

And I'm also willing to bet you still think King Louie was part of the Jungle Cruise ride?

Careful you don't trip doing all of that backpedaling.....

:drevil:

...and Star Tours, The Dream, The Fantasy, refurbishment of the Inferno Barge, new restaurants and Hyperion Wharf...

You're really putting a refurbishment to the Inferno Barge (seems like this things gets an extensive refurb every year lately) up there with Star Tours and the Dream and Fantasy. You really want to pat TDO on the back I guess.

Horizons1

I heard a rumor that Disney will announce the addition of King Louie to the Jungle Cruise by way of popular demand.

Gracy_hm

I hold record of numerous occasions where garbage was removed from Main Street and all over the parks. So please also count the Daily Refurbishment of Disney asphalt to the list of ever growing additions. Fantasyland expansion is a big deal for me. And no Be our guest isn't just a restaurant it will be magic!

Rowdy

Oh, I thought it was, "The year of we're not holding a gun to your head so you don't have to come to our parks.":rolleyes:

Goofy6294

Didn't you see the announcement Disney is bringing King Louie and the crumbling temple back to the Jungle Cruise and Pirates of the Caribbean is bringing live ammo back for park guests to duck and dodge.

:hammer:

LOL...I'm all for it if the riders can shoot back!

Now.. while my post is a farce.. you have to admit, that Universal is doing a TON, and Disney world isn't hardly doing anything.. NO major rides.. and the Fanstasy Land Upgrade, is minor at best..

I am sorry, but its NOT WHINING, when your direct competitor is Expanding TWICE, while you sit on your hands..

wait until this last HP movie comes out.. oh and I purposely use HENRY POTTER instead of Harry Potter.. as a jab towards Universal..

but when this last movie comes out and does RECORD BOX OFFICE, its going to affect UNIVERSAL IN A BIG WAY.. and its going to be extremely profitable for them..

so go ahead, ,defend the Michael Eisner school of theme parks, because if it continues, MY ORIGINAL POST will not be very far off..

In an enterprise such as this, it's a marathon, not a sprint. Many posters have already listed the abundance of projects in the works at WDW. And won't this be the last installment of the HP series? I personally am curious to see what sort of staying power the franchise has over the next 5-10 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom