New announcement.. "the year of we ain"t doing nothing.."

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcnole

I'm a huge fan of Universal and at times they have seemed ahead of Disney in the investment department but I would hardly say that Disney is doing nothing.

1. We just received a major upgrade to Star Tours
2. The Fantasyland upgrade is a major investment. No, it won't be finished this year, but its certainly well on its way. I would say that two major rides under construction, a major entertainment restaurant, and the other minor changes to Fantasyland including major theming upgrades is pretty major. Its no HP, but its nothing to sneeze at.

So far all we know that is coming to Universal is the Despicable Me attraction which will probably just be a re-issue of the motion simulator with a new film in 3d and an upgrade to Spiderman. None of that will be finalized this year either.

I think the big thing everyone here is missing is that Universal does has not announced anything of substance for the next year.

A retheme of a simulator and a switch to digital 3-d projection is something Disney has already done (and from the sound of the Star Tours reviews, much better). Potter is there and has allowed Universal to stay afloat, but there's no way you can say that Universal is adding a LOT, when in fact, it is adding NOTHING.

This, of course, is to be expected, as with a change of hands, old projects are being wrapped up and new investments are being made. Also, there is something to be had for biting your tongue and waiting until D23 Expo happens to see what else is up their sleeves. For the time being, I think I'll just fly over to the Universal resort in Dubai...oh wait...

Testtrack321

What it comes down to is that people want constant attraction expenditure, and parks can't compete that way. Just ask the old owners of Six Flags who nearly destroyed the whole chain.

You know what's more fair? How about we compare all the IoA additions over the past 12 years to INDIVIDUAL parks at Disney. It's easy and lazy to compare the past year between Universal and Disney, but that hardly tells the whole story.

What Disney knows is that you can't constantly expand with attractions, you must expand with shows, alternative experiences, AND attractions. Universal Hollywood knows this too as they're debuting new VIP tours and experiences. Universal Orlando knows that as they're adding putt-putt, updating old attractions, and probably would add new tours too.

Lots of Roller Coaster Tycoon fans seem to know how to run parks on forums.

magictrickboy71

I don't post here very much but this post made me feel the need to speak out. I guess all the changes they are doing now are just old news to you, you want the next great thing. New rides being built, new resturants, new hotels, referb of existing attractions, referb of DTD, new display on the castle. Yeah Disney is just sitting on money and not doing a thing with it.

Well if you are unhappy then just don't go until something you like comes along, that would mean shorter lines for me and that would be great.

Frank

menamechris

I don't post here very much but this post made me feel the need to speak out. I guess all the changes they are doing now are just old news to you, you want the next great thing. New rides being built, new resturants, new hotels, referb of existing attractions, referb of DTD, new display on the castle. Yeah Disney is just sitting on money and not doing a thing with it.

Well if you are unhappy then just don't go until something you like comes along, that would mean shorter lines for me and that would be great.

Frank

Unfortunately, that would also mean shorter park hours, fewer cast members, fewer resort offerings and amenities, fewer rehabs and needed maintenance, more empty pavilions, etc., etc. Be careful what you wish for... :wave:

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Lots of Roller Coaster Tycoon fans seem to know how to run parks on forums.

Are you implying that random people on the internet do not know how to run the world's largest theme park better than those currently tasked with doing it? How dare you?

Dont you know that every single acre of forest, lake, pond, and field in the entire WDW property needs to be leveled and had a unique, mind-blowing E-Ticket attraction to it? The monorail should travel at nothing less than 100mph. The ferry boats should be replaced with jet boats. If Disney researchers are not working on a functioning teleport device to allow me to spend my morning at Magic Kingdom and my afternoon at Tokyo DisneySea, they are wasting their time! Instead of updating Star Tours, they should have built an actual functioning Death Star and taken out Universal once and for all. Disney has 100 gazillion dollars and should spend every single solitary penny on creating as many new E-ticket attractions as they can.

Sorry, I had to blow off a little steam. I've been quite encouraged to see the ammount of investments that they are making as it currently stands. I'm sure that in the end, as with all projects of a large scale, there will be things that could have been done better, things they went above and beyond with, and things that turn out just as expected. Either way, I think they are doing a ton to improve the guest experience with what they have already announced.

devoy1701

Frank

Not all change is good change....see the various threads on Hyperion Wharf/Pleasure Island.

We also aren't shooting down everything TDO is doing as being bad...see reviews for Star Tours 2, Magic Memories and You, refurbed Haunted Mansion, Main Street Refurbs, Enchanced Queues, etc.

If it's done right, we applaud, then we look at the things that are bothering us...empty Pavilions and guest spaces in the park, lack of major attractions at AK, rides that are in need of enchancement/repair (Jungle Cruise, Soarin, Imagination, E:E), Monorail fleet in need of service.

If you've been over to Disneyland recently, the difference in care and upkeep between WDW and there is night and day.

It's also not all about New Attraction Expansion as one person posted. It's about general care and upkeep of everything already in the parks in addition with a steady flow of a variety of guest offerings including restaurants, shows, meet and greets, dark rides, thrill rides, parades, night time shows, etc. in all of the parks.

AndyMagic

I don't think Comcast ever wanted the parks. That may have changed since Harry Potter has brought a lot of new revenue, but it's probably more likely that Comcast is purchasing from Blackstone to make it easier to sell the entire unit rather than just their 50% interest.

Incorrect. Comcast is the first owner of Universal to ever show interest in the parks. The CEO of NBCUniversal and the Vice President of Comcast is a former Disney Parks executive and a known theme park lover. From the start, Steve Burke has said only positive things about the theme parks. They have zero intention of selling. If they wanted to sell, they would have simply allowed the June deadline to expire and partnered with Blackstone to sell the entire thing.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Not all change is good change....see the various threads on Hyperion Wharf/Pleasure Island.

We also aren't shooting down everything TDO is doing as being bad...see reviews for Star Tours 2, Magic Memories and You, refurbed Haunted Mansion, Main Street Refurbs, Enchanced Queues, etc.

If it's done right, we applaud, then we look at the things that are bothering us...empty Pavilions and guest spaces in the park, lack of major attractions at AK, rides that are in need of enchancement/repair (Jungle Cruise, Soarin, Imagination, E:E), Monorail fleet in need of service.

If you've been over to Disneyland recently, the difference in care and upkeep between WDW and there is night and day.

It's also not all about New Attraction Expansion as one person posted. It's about general care and upkeep of everything already in the parks in addition with a steady flow of a variety of guest offerings including restaurants, shows, meet and greets, dark rides, thrill rides, parades, night time shows, etc. in all of the parks.

The funny thing is, all parks are in need of some upkeep to one degree or another. WDW all the more so because of the sheer volume that passes through its gates on a daily basis. But I was just there the day before yesterday, and even on a holiday weekend the upkeep looked solid. Yes, some rides (such as Soarin') can use maintenance and/or upgrading. But I also went on IASW and I was frankly surprised at how good it looked. Resources are unfortunately limited.

As usual, the OP went off the hyperbolic deep end (as is too far often his want). As Steve and others have pointed out, not only are there many projects lined up throughout WDW, but many others have been recently completed as well. Perhaps not personally exciting to some, but they're there nonetheless. They may not be "E tickets" or thrill rides, but that doesn't change the fact that the effort is being made.

minniemickeyfan

From the OP: THE YEAR of "WE AIN"T DOING NOTHING"

I am not usually one to point out someone elses grammer as I make mistakes too...But did anyone else notice that using the word "ain't" and "nothing" together actually means the opposite? I agree with the OP and can't wait for all the new things Disney is doing!

devoy1701

The funny thing is, all parks are in need of some upkeep to one degree or another. WDW all the more so because of the sheer volume that passes through its gates on a daily basis. But I was just there the day before yesterday, and even on a holiday weekend the upkeep looked solid. Yes, some rides (such as Soarin') can use maintenance and/or upgrading. But I also went on IASW and I was frankly surprised at how good it looked. Resources are unfortunately limited.

As usual, the OP went off the hyperbolic deep end (and is too far often his want). As Steve and others have pointed out, not only are there many projects lined up throughout WDW, but many others have been recently completed as well. Perhaps not personally exciting to some, but they're there nonetheless. They may not be "E tickets" or thrill rides, but that doesn't change the fact that the effort is being made.

to your second point, he did go off the deep end. To your first point. it's rides like Soarin', Imaginations, UoE, E:E, Jungle Cruise, Thunder, Dino, Splash that we are all upset about. All of those have mechanical issues of some sort or have gone so long without a major refurb that it isn't funny. I don't care about some paint chipping, or if a ride occasionally goes 101, or light bulbs (though I am intriged that they used to chart out the light bulbs on Main Street and replace them before they reached the end of their usable life to minimize the burnt out bulbs and still wish they practiced this because there are quite a bit of lights out on Main Street anymore!)

That's just my opinion anyway. I like to think that I fall in the middle of the pack when it comes to extremeties on how people feel about TDO.... :)

Flip83

Is this a serious post?! Really? What else would you want? I guess they also need to expand HS and Epcot and AK, expand monorail, and then offer you a free week all at the same time. That will make u happy. Good god, this thread is pathetic and sad.

magictrickboy71

Unfortunately, that would also mean shorter park hours, fewer cast members, fewer resort offerings and amenities, fewer rehabs and needed maintenance, more empty pavilions, etc., etc. Be careful what you wish for... :wave:

I wish that people would not complain about everything that disney does. They are not going to please everyone with everything. Sure there are things that I don't really care for. I don't complain, I just do something I enjoy instead. My family and I go to disney 2 to 3 times a month and we have a blast. Some days are more fun than others but I go because I enjoy being there. There are times I will do 2 or 3 attractions, get a Mickey Bar and then head home. I live 1 hour away.

You should stop complaining about things that you can't change. Just enjoy Disney for the Magic now not that Magic you wish for. Your dreams make take a long time to come true.

devoy1701

I wish that people would not complain about everything that disney does. They are not going to please everyone with everything. Sure there are things that I don't really care for. I don't complain, I just do something I enjoy instead. My family and I go to disney 2 to 3 times a month and we have a blast. Some days are more fun than others but I go because I enjoy being there. There are times I will do 2 or 3 attractions, get a Mickey Bar and then head home. I live 1 hour away.

You should stop complaining about things that you can't change. Just enjoy Disney for the Magic now not that Magic you wish for. Your dreams make take a long time to come true

But things like poor maintenance and lackluster offerings and dimishing quality can be changed. The fans were able to change things over at Disneyland thanks to people like Al Lutz who was able to unite the fan base and give them a voice loud enough for TDA to acknowledge.

yeti

I am reading these "rumors" around here about this and that, and Disney Seas, and I am telling you I got the scoop on Disney World announcement in October..

its the YEAR OF" WE AIN"T DOING NOTHING."

Source please??

menamechris

You should stop complaining about things that you can't change. Just enjoy Disney for the Magic now not that Magic you wish for. Your dreams make take a long time to come true.

Your post is...well....bizarre, but I will respond. Quite frankly, you do sound like an average guest - which interestingly enough makes me wonder why you would even join any type of Disney discussion group, given that your indifference is obvious. There are MANY people who go to the parks and do not notice the scaling back of cast members, the decreasing quality of food, the lack of maintenance on various attractions (and in some cases, blatantly ignoring their principle of show), and decrease in customer service - all the while the prices are rising - but many of us do. If you think we go to WDW and don't have a good time and just complain, that's crazy - but we know when something is being ignored or a problem is getting out of hand. I assure you that if no one cared and watched out for it - the average guest's experience wouldn't be as magical as it is - and there would be no point to Disney holding themselves to a higher standard. As many people have said, DL has a very vocal local community - and we can see what that resort has been able to do as a result of being held accountable.

Jo DeVil

I seem to be missing something.
We do stay a WDW and we do visit Universal and we are Harry Potter Fans,
But What I seem to be missing is the amazement that everyone seems to have with Harry Potter World, Yes the themeing is good but the area is too small the layout of the shops are crazy and they only gave us one new ride (as good as it maybe), and they managed to re-theme 2 old rides with just a bit of decoration.
We have visited twice and have had a go on the rides, the first visit we took photos, but then we moved on, we didn't attempt to go in to the shops on either visit after trying to get thru the shop after FJ.
So the phase 2 what rides are they re-packaging this time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom