MyMagic+ testing beginning with limited number of Annual Passholders during the next few weeks

How do they choose the APs for testing? I should be heading up to the World later in February. Will they email you or do you have to sign up on the AP website?

I signed up while visiting Epcot on Saturday morning; was able to customize it on Sunday, and they said it would be overnighted. The cast members said we would have to visit again before February 9th to participate.

freediverdude

So to your point... why couldn't I just loan my gold card to someone else?
And if the new cards will replace the old cards... why didn't Disney have enough foresight just last year to give out the right kind of cards last year when they did the AP to AP-RFID swap outs.

There is more to the story... or Disney are complete buffoons.

I think they're trying to get rid of cards as ticket media, for the most part. They had to do the RFID cards as an interim step, because they were transitioning over the turnstyles to the touch points, but the magic bands weren't ready for prime time at that point. I think they're going to try to encourage most guests to have a MDE account and magic band going forward.

doctornick

Quoting from the article:

Presumably this means AP holders can make a total of up to 42 days worth of FP+ selections per year without staying onsite.

I would think that Passholders can make 365 days of reservation, actually. But they can only have 7 days reserved at any point in time. So, if you logged on today and reserved for tomorrow (1/28) though next Mon (Feb 3), you would be able to book on Tues Feb 4 once you used (or cancelled) the FP+ reservations for tomorrow.

The goal would be to prevent Passholders from simply reserving and holding too many FP+ slots at a time. Limiting Pass holders to only having 7 days reservde at a time means that people won't be able to just reserve Space every day for the next two months on the chance that they want to go to the MK on a whim and ride.

Foolish Mortal

Even though I always have a resort reservation, it's good to hear some kind of progress is being attempted. Especially if it leads to what was mentioned in the Mickey Monitor.

JohnD

I stayed in December and can still make FP+ reservations as well.

That's right, you "stayed", meaning you stayed at resort and received an MB. I did the same thing over Veterans Day Weekend--I have an AP and stayed at AS-S, and have the same advanced access as you. Once the testing is completed and implmented, APs will have FP+ advanced access with or without a resort reservation.

ParentsOf4

No, they can make 365 days' worth of FP+ reservations. They're just limited to 7 *active* days at any one time.
After you have 7 days of reservations, you'll need to either use a day, cancel a day or allow your earliest day to auto-expire when it becomes that date before you can make another day.
I would think that Passholders can make 365 days of reservation, actually. But they can only have 7 days reserved at any point in time. So, if you logged on today and reserved for tomorrow (1/28) though next Mon (Feb 3), you would be able to book on Tues Feb 4 once you used (or cancelled) the FP+ reservations for tomorrow.
Thanks, I stand corrected. That makes sense with a rolling 60-day window.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So to your point... why couldn't I just loan my gold card to someone else?
And if the new cards will replace the old cards... why didn't Disney have enough foresight just last year to give out the right kind of cards last year when they did the AP to AP-RFID swap outs.

There is more to the story... or Disney are complete buffoons.

I vote for the latter

Sped2424

I for one am very excited! I can't wait to get a magic band and test it out for myself! Just glad to hear they haven't forgotten about us AP's! Although does anyone know what method they should be contacting you for testing and how gets to test? Is it only Ap's staying at the resorts?

StarWarsGirl

Does anyone know if, when this eventually rolls out completely, you can request an RFID card rather than a MB? My father can't stand wearing a MB and I know would prefer an actual card.

JohnD

Does anyone know if, when this eventually rolls out completely, you can request an RFID card rather than a MB? My father can't stand wearing a MB and I know would prefer an actual card.

I don't see why you can't now. If it's like KTTW cards, then even if not offered, you should still be able to request one. I think having a card should be the norm and the MB simply a convenience. I lost my MB after only a day and a half and I was extremely grateful for still having my AP card with me (in addition to my KTTW card to use as a room key for my resort). Not against the MB at all but I know one thing -- when my folks and I check in for our April trip, I am going to request KTTW cards for us and ticket cards for them, if only as backup and never used. (I already have my AP card.)

biggy H

No, they can make 365 days' worth of FP+ reservations. They're just limited to 7 *active* days at any one time.
After you have 7 days of reservations, you'll need to either use a day, cancel a day or allow your earliest day to auto-expire when it becomes that date before you can make another day.

I've said it in a few places, but I'll repeat that I think they should expand the AP to 10 days' worth of FP+ to match the maximum number you can have on a MYW ticket.

-Rob

Or 14/21 days for those of us that can get 14/21 day tickets...

StarWarsGirl

I don't see why you can't now. If it's like KTTW cards, then even if not offered, you should still be able to request one. I think having a card should be the norm and the MB simply a convenience. I lost my MB after only a day and a half and I was extremely grateful for still having my AP card with me (in addition to my KTTW card to use as a room key for my resort). Not against the MB at all but I know one thing -- when my folks and I check in for our April trip, I am going to request KTTW cards for us and ticket cards for them, if only as backup and never used. (I already have my AP card.)
I hear ya, I nearly lost my MB on Space Mountain and had to grab it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
From what it sounds to me, this won't be an additional card, the current card will be going away (or just won't be used most of the time), and you'll have a magic band and either a gold or black card.

So I go back to my earlier point... did they not think of this when they just replaced everyone's cards just last year? Failure. The current APs already distinguish who has parking privileges... a new card (as described) would only make that more visible. Not a bad thing in itself.. but this is not a new problem, nor is it unique to MM+ in anyway. This basically boils down to making FL passes look different than all other passes. You think this is something Disney would have sorted out in the last 20+ years?

The only way this makes any sense (that I can see) is if they need to replace all the cards.. again. And if you have a MB and need a Card AS WELL to get your discounts.. that's just dumb.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think they're trying to get rid of cards as ticket media, for the most part. They had to do the RFID cards as an interim step, because they were transitioning over the turnstyles to the touch points, but the magic bands weren't ready for prime time at that point. I think they're going to try to encourage most guests to have a MDE account and magic band going forward.

Well they are going to have to come up with something better than what they have now to motivate AP users to use bands.. because there is very little benefit to the band right now for an AP. And given they will offer a card alternative for ticket holders, they are going to have to do the same for APs too.

As for the cutover... while the FP+ functions weren't rolled out... the media and radio gear is all the same. The same RFID card issued a year ago is working the same as a MB issued today.. and the MB hardware had been set in stone long before that. I get them not handing them out to APs at the time... but there is no need have a MB for FP+. They don't need a MB to test AP use of FP+ now. Software is what must have been holding them back.

The only thing I'm really curious about is if they will actually switch to providing discounts or parking by scanning the pass/mb... without requiring additional ID.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So I go back to my earlier point... did they not think of this when they just replaced everyone's cards just last year? Failure. The current APs already distinguish who has parking privileges... a new card (as described) would only make that more visible. Not a bad thing in itself.. but this is not a new problem, nor is it unique to MM+ in anyway. This basically boils down to making FL passes look different than all other passes. You think this is something Disney would have sorted out in the last 20+ years?

The only way this makes any sense (that I can see) is if they need to replace all the cards.. again. And if you have a MB and need a Card AS WELL to get your discounts.. that's just dumb.

Flynn,

I'm not going to make a sweeping statement but this just reeks of amateur hour - where did they find this development team need to know because I never want to hire one of them by accident.

DisneyGentleman

Check out an interesting story from our friends over at Westcoaster called

"FP+ and Annual Passholders…"

The gist of it is that annual passholders will only get to use Fastpass+ 7 out of every 60 days.

Why create new attractions when you can simply make current attractions more rare? The pattern continues - collect more money by making it harder to do the things you have always done.

Pirates of the Caribbean - the new Club 33.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom