MyMagic+ MagicBands to begin testing in parks soon

WDW1974

I know there is no sure date at all but does anyone have an idea as to when you think this will go in full effect? I'm really hoping by April they will be available because I really want to use it.

I would guess sometime in mid to late 2014 at the rate they are going. I don't think you have any chance of using 'it' in April unless you wind up as part of a test group.

Bryner84

To me it seems the only way this works is if the current fastpass rules remain and the only difference is you can book from your phone rather than running to the actual attraction...day of, with return times being predetermined based on availability. If they want to save face based on what they have already said, allow one attraction to be pre-booked so people feel like they got to do something cool, and the rest can be the system everyone is already used to minus the mad dash across the park. I am giving you an out Disney! Please take it!

ttalovebug

I think the problem with this, though, is if people don't get it, then they'll have a vastly lower quality experience at WDW.

With FP, even if you don't use it, you still can have a great visit. On my most recent trip, I used the service twice for one ride and just that one -- Tron Track. And it wasn't really required.

This is my issue with this "service", and bugs me more than the supposed privacy issues.

My family and I just decided today that we will visit WDW tomorrow. As a passholder living less than 90 minutes away, this is how all of my trips work.

I don't want to be punished for being a loyal AP holder all these years. My guest experience depends on spontaneity, becuase that's the kind of customer I am. A truly beneficial service is one that works for all guests, from the uber-planners to the casual guests. From the looks of it, this service will not.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Once MM+ is in full swing, how will it affect someone who books a last minute trip? For instance, if i book a trip only 2 weeks in advance. Will I be able to reserve a FP for any ride or get stuck with whatever isnt reserved because all the FP's for the big attractions have been dolled out?

My trip in April was just shy of two weeks out, why would I want to go if I had to stand in stand-bye lanes? It would be like buying the dining plan and no ADRs available.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Ah, so this is just another test and if they're using the CMs as guinea pigs, then it would appear as if they have no faith in using it for guests again just yet.

That is such a good point. The roll out was to be at the Beach Club with real guests. Interesting change of plans.

And I get the test, but if it goes wrong, is it a true measure of real guest annoyance?

John

That is such a good point. The roll out was to be at the Beach Club with real guests. Interesting change of plans.

And I get the test, but if it goes wrong, is it a true measure of real guest annoyance?

I would think that if it was to be tested at BW and the BC & YC it would be guest. If it is only going to be Cm's testing....its not much of a "real" test. If you are having trained Cm using the bands. That is hardly a true indication on how "regular" guest will use the system. Not to mention all the testing in the world will not replicate what the system will do under the stress of a total roll out. They are testing at some of the deluxe resorts....hmmmm How about going to the ALL Stars and hand out a few hundred bands to the once in a life crowd....or maybe to a few of those beloved tour groups. You want a test....thats a test.

Tip Top Club

Ah, so this is just another test and if they're using the CMs as guinea pigs, then it would appear as if they have no faith in using it for guests again just yet.

I can now confirm RAXIP's information that will be based at Animal Kingdom Lodge and not at the EPCOT resorts like I previously reported. However, the test will span all four parks (It will only be for about three days though, so a casual guest probably wouldn't notice anything at all) I would expect about half of the touch-point entrances to be available by the time this test happens though (February 17th) or if not then very closely after.

ParentsOf4

I'm sorry but I'm having a hard time buying what you are saying. Compared to how many visit the Disney parks a year, one million really isn't that big. And would be a very small percentage of the posple that will be in the parks at any one given time. There will be a heck of a lot of competition for those slots. And based on at least what I've read here... And there are many Disney pass holders on here, they fast pass the same as everyone else. Eventually when this rolls out, guests just entering the park for a day will be able to do that.
My opinion (no facts to support it) is that, on average, passholders use FP more than most other WDW guests. FP is about spending less time in line. Generalizing a bit, AP holders are WDW "experts" and know how to use FP better than most in order to spend he least amount of time in line.

Relatively infrequent WDW guests are less experienced at optimizing FP use.

As Disney rolls out MM+, it will be interesting to obverse how they treat their passholders. Recent signs suggest Disney doesn't value passholders as much as they use it:
  • Premium Annual Passes went up 7.7%.
  • Annual Passes went up 10.6%.
  • Children under the age of 10 now are charged the full adult AP price.
  • AP merchandise discount was cut in half.
  • TIW price went up 33%.
It will be interesting if Disney does something with MM+ to reverse this trend.

ParentsOf4

I know there is no sure date at all but does anyone have an idea as to when you think this will go in full effect? I'm really hoping by April they will be available because I really want to use it.
At the recent Q1 financial results teleconference, Iger stated:
So I'd say you're going to see the product rollout at some point later this year. We're purposely not announcing when it will be rolled out. In effect, a lot of the features of this product will actually be rolled out over a long period of time. We want to make sure that we get this right before we go too fast with it.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I think the problem with this, though, is if people don't get it, then they'll have a vastly lower quality experience at WDW.

With FP, even if you don't use it, you still can have a great visit. On my most recent trip, I used the service twice for one ride and just that one -- Tron Track. And it wasn't really required.

Welcome to life, people need to be able to "get it", and I still believe the majority will. Using FP+ is not exactly difficult. If they can't use this I would seriously question how they can operate in the rest of the world. Let's face it, Disney are going to do a serious amount of hand-holding throughout this. People wont get that the rest of the world.

I saw an article in the Orlando news about Publix now rolling out pre-ordering sandwiches, deli meats and cheeses via - you guessed it - smartphone, web site, and in store kiosks. YOu choose what you want, and when it will be ready for pickup. Like it or not, this kind of things is here, and here to stay. People are going to expect it in every facet of their life. Disney are right to roll this out.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I think the reality is it is a far more sensible approach to test things properly that rush in and make a mess of the deployment. This is how you introduce massive new systems. It isn't about having faith - it is about going through a proper deployment cycle.

danv3

Heard from a CM that once the bands roll out, there will not be an alternative key card for on site guests. You can stick the ugly band in your pocket, but you can't request a card instead. :(

Bryner84

This isn't exactly helpful if you don't have a data plan with your phone, and a decent amount of people don't. In fact, it kind of places you at a disadvantage if you don't have a smartphone. I feel like my ability to use Fastpass is diminished, compared to previous trips, because I don't have a smartphone. It sounds like it will be harder for me to get a Fastpass now and that I'll have wait in stand-by more often.

You're exactly right. For instance, there's nothing difficult about reserving a Fastpass+ online; we've all been making ADRs for years. But I have no interest in deciding what I want to ride and when before my trip. I don't want my vacation to be that regimented. Incidentally, the advance ride reservations are one of the reasons I do not plan to return to WDW for the foreseeable future.

Furthermore, payment and room access via MagicBand...is this really that big of a deal? It's not like any of these things were difficult before.
I believe it has already been confirmed that Disney will be providing a device for booking fastpasses in the event you don't have a smart phone. There are tons of reasons to not like the new fastpass+ but this isn't one of them. Like I said, I too am against the advance ride reservations, but if they limit it to one just so they can advertise it, but it has an overall negligible effect, then I would suggest that would be a way to minimize the negative.

Bryner84

My point is, if they can lower their expectations and can use this technology simply to prevent the "rope drop race" and allow me to book a fastpass day of, with predetermined "real time" return times just like the current system with the only difference being that I can book from my smartphone, a free handheld device provided by disney, or at any on property kiosk for any of the 4 parks without actually hoofing it over to the attraction that I won't be able to ride yet...then I consider that a win. I wouldn't mind sleeping in, waking up, checking my phone and seeing a 6pm return time for TSMM, booking it, then leisurely planning what to do in the meantime. Maybe that's the perk to staying on site...that as long as you are on property you can book your fastpasses. So for those staying offsite, they still have the same opportunities to all fastpasses for the day, they just aren't able to book from the comfort of their hotel room. That's a win for everyone. Everyone has equal opportunities to ride all the rides, no fastpasses are distributed until after park opening, but there is a slight perk to those who choose to stay on property in that they can book from their hotel room in their underwear if they so choose. Unfortunately this is not at all what they seem to be proposing. This only works if the general fastpass rules stay the same and the advanced planning component is largely thrown out the window.

PolynesianPrincess

So are they going to eventually do away with all the fastpass machines in the parks? And have everyone book FPs before their trip? I'm planning on moving to Jacksonville at the end of the year. My Disney trips will not be planned months ahead of time. I will still want to be able to hit the major headliners when I visit there. But if it comes down to having to book FPs in advance and not being able to get any the day of, I won't be visiting much there anymore. My mom also owns a timeshare off-site and if we have to pay for the bracelets due to staying off-site, I think my family will start looking at other vacation destinations. Don't get me wrong, I do like the idea of planning some attractions before your trip. That way you can make sure you get to see what you want. But if this works against those people who like to make last minute trips, then it's clear Disney is moving towards catering to the "once in a lifetime guest" and away from the Florida residents and annual passholders.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But if it comes down to having to book FPs in advance and not being able to get any the day of, I won't be visiting much there anymore

Disney knows this.. we just have to wait to see how they plan on addressing it. No point in stressing over it because the info hasn't been rolled out.

PolynesianPrincess

Disney knows this.. we just have to wait to see how they plan on addressing it. No point in stressing over it because the info hasn't been rolled out.

Oh, I'm definitely not stressing out about it. I just was reading about the bands and thinking about planning FPs in advance and wondered if they will completely do away with the FP machines in the park.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Oh, I'm definitely not stressing out about it. I just was reading about the bands and thinking about planning FPs in advance and wondered if they will completely do away with the FP machines in the park.

It appears the old kiosks will go away once the system is fully transitioned. But no one knows yet how much attention/priority Disney will give 'day of' reservations by keeping capacity held back, etc.

But Disney obviously is aware of the situation - its just none of us know their choice yet..

muteki

Seriously, what do you guys think is so different from what is currently in place? The only new element with the band is that you don't need to go to a fast pass kiosk for every fast pass. And the ability to customize your Test Track experience without a separate card. The band is essentially a Key to the World card in all other aspects. This is NOT a totally new thing.

Have you missed the pages and pages of discussion on FP+? If the whole thing was just old FP and Magic Bands I don't think anyone would have a problem with it. But it is not. FP+ will completely change how you tour the parks, but it is not all good. You may think it is worth it not to have to walk around to get FP's, or find the band more convenient, but you are making sacrifices to get this. You won't be able to get as many FPs as you want, you won't be able to choose which rides you want them for outside of some strict brackets, and you won't be able to get them in more than one park per day.

There is a lot more to this than just convenience. In moving to this system I think we are given up a lot of choice and freedom, and if it is just for convenience's sake I don't think it is worth it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom