MyMagic+ MagicBands to begin testing in parks soon

KevinYee

There is a lot more to this than just convenience. In moving to this system I think we are given up a lot of choice and freedom, and if it is just for convenience's sake I don't think it is worth it.

The could be (and has been) said about the transition from the old system to the regular-Fastpass world. It changes the way you tour the parks, and not always for the better.

muteki

The could be (and has been) said about the transition from the old system to the regular-Fastpass world. It changes the way you tour the parks, and not always for the better.

Certainly. But in the case of FP vs. FP+, I'd rather have the lesser of two evils.

parker4fm

Have you missed the pages and pages of discussion on FP+? If the whole thing was just old FP and Magic Bands I don't think anyone would have a problem with it. But it is not. FP+ will completely change how you tour the parks, but it is not all good. You may think it is worth it not to have to walk around to get FP's, or find the band more convenient, but you are making sacrifices to get this. You won't be able to get as many FPs as you want, you won't be able to choose which rides you want them for outside of some strict brackets, and you won't be able to get them in more than one park per day.

There is a lot more to this than just convenience. In moving to this system I think we are given up a lot of choice and freedom, and if it is just for convenience's sake I don't think it is worth it.

The program is only in initial testing. I imagine once it is fully functional that you'll have many more options than is currently available. But I could be wrong...

Galen

So far, the number I have been hearing floating around is 4 FastPass+'s. My guess is that that number is the average number of FastPasses that guest used on a daily basis. If that is true, the average guest will not suffer a lack of availability. My guess is that a portion of FastPass+'s will be set aside for early booking and a portion set aside for that day. Whether it will require being at the location or if you can do it from the site/mobile app, I can only guess. The only ones I don't think will have ones for the day will be the parades, fireworks, and shows.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
So are they going to eventually do away with all the fastpass machines in the parks? And have everyone book FPs before their trip?

Yes FP ticket machines will be gone. You will be able to make FP+ reservations ahead of your trip, or on the day of your trip whilst inside the park. To do this you will be able to use a smartphone, kiosks in the parks, or a computer with a web browser.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
can't say that we ever grab more than one or two fastpasses per day if that when we visit any of the parks so i don't see what the problem with having 4 would be . As for the AP people being "moved aside" i wonder about the amount of profit difference between an AP holder who pops in multi times a year and rides rides and spends a bit of cash on merch/meals and a once a year visitor who spends far more on merch/meals .
I do think pushing out the AP holders is kinda harsh but it is always going to come down to the bottom line in all reality

WDW1974

Welcome to life, people need to be able to "get it", and I still believe the majority will. Using FP+ is not exactly difficult. If they can't use this I would seriously question how they can operate in the rest of the world. Let's face it, Disney are going to do a serious amount of hand-holding throughout this. People wont get that the rest of the world.

No, I agree. But the fact remains that if ... let's make up a number ... let's say that today 27% of guests at the MK have little or no knowledge of what FP is. Sucks for them, BUT ... their days still should be enjoyable. They still should be able to see plenty and do plenty -- perhaps, with longer waits -- but they will not be getting a significantly diminished experience because of it.

Now, turn it around and let's say -- perhaps, optimistically -- that a year from now MM+ is up and totally operational and that same amount of 27% of guests at the MK have little or no knowledge as to what it is, how it works and how they fit in. They will have a significantly less MAGICal visit.

That IS how the system is set up. We all are going to OPT IN for the MAGIC or we'll pay just as much and get a vastly lower quality experience.

That seem distinctly unfair and unDisneylike to me.

People have never been forced to use intrusive technology and that is the direction society is headed, Steve. You are quite right. But that doesn't make it a good thing or a needed thing. And that's leaving out all the other factors ... including the fact some of us like to be spontaneous.

I saw an article in the Orlando news about Publix now rolling out pre-ordering sandwiches, deli meats and cheeses via - you guessed it - smartphone, web site, and in store kiosks. YOu choose what you want, and when it will be ready for pickup. Like it or not, this kind of things is here, and here to stay. People are going to expect it in every facet of their life. Disney are right to roll this out.

Ah, Steve, yet another reason why you should give up that cold grey UK weather and join your many countrymen living in O-Town!:) ...And those sandwiches are worth moving for too! Funny you mention Publix as I have a half of one of their delicious subs sitting in my fridge from Friday (hope it's still good!) ... Pre-ordering food is something that has been happening since Old Dead Guy Walt was alive. Only difference now is using technology -- or different tech -- to do so.

Considering how tough it can be to get your order straight when dealing with a person one-on-one, I hate pre-ordering because something is always wrong (usually more than one).

Have you watched people struggle to use those kiosks at Pecos Bill's? Now, imagine 11,000 lunch orders coming in via smartphone. I see nothing but disaster written all over that. And not the UNI attraction either.

I also don't think I've asked you directly your opinion, but do you really believe that this way of spending $1.5 billion is smarter than building actual attractions like what UNI and SW are doing or investing in physical infrastructure like monorails, roads and buildings? And before you answer, let's try and separate the back of the house tech upgrades, which were needed, from the entire MM+ program.

armmh

can't say that we ever grab more than one or two fastpasses per day if that when we visit any of the parks so i don't see what the problem with having 4 would be . As for the AP people being "moved aside" i wonder about the amount of profit difference between an AP holder who pops in multi times a year and rides rides and spends a bit of cash on merch/meals and a once a year visitor who spends far more on merch/meals .
I do think pushing out the AP holders is kinda harsh but it is always going to come down to the bottom line in all reality

Being that we only go once a year, we use well over 1 FP per day. Last summer at DHS we did this:
FP and ride TSM
Ride RnR
FP RnR
Ride ToT
Ride TSM w/FP
Ride RnR w/FP
FP RnR
Ride ST
lunch
Ride RnR w/FP
FP ST
some show
ST w/FP
FP RnR for later

Yes, my son's most favorite ride is RnR.... so that's 5 FP in just over 1/2 day, and mostly for the same ride which wont be possible if the FP+ rumors hold true.
THAT is really my only concern about FP+, Muppets doesnt have quite the same appeal to my 8 yo boy as riding RnR multiple times.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
No, I agree. But the fact remains that if ... let's make up a number ... let's say that today 27% of guests at the MK have little or no knowledge of what FP is. Sucks for them, BUT ... their days still should be enjoyable. They still should be able to see plenty and do plenty -- perhaps, with longer waits -- but they will not be getting a significantly diminished experience because of it.

Now, turn it around and let's say -- perhaps, optimistically -- that a year from now MM+ is up and totally operational and that same amount of 27% of guests at the MK have little or no knowledge as to what it is, how it works and how they fit in. They will have a significantly less MAGICal visit.

That IS how the system is set up. We all are going to OPT IN for the MAGIC or we'll pay just as much and get a vastly lower quality experience.

That seem distinctly unfair and unDisneylike to me.

People have never been forced to use intrusive technology and that is the direction society is headed, Steve. You are quite right. But that doesn't make it a good thing or a needed thing. And that's leaving out all the other factors ... including the fact some of us like to be spontaneous.

Ah, Steve, yet another reason why you should give up that cold grey UK weather and join your many countrymen living in O-Town!:) ...And those sandwiches are worth moving for too! Funny you mention Publix as I have a half of one of their delicious subs sitting in my fridge from Friday (hope it's still good!) ... Pre-ordering food is something that has been happening since Old Dead Guy Walt was alive. Only difference now is using technology -- or different tech -- to do so.

Considering how tough it can be to get your order straight when dealing with a person one-on-one, I hate pre-ordering because something is always wrong (usually more than one).

Have you watched people struggle to use those kiosks at Pecos Bill's? Now, imagine 11,000 lunch orders coming in via smartphone. I see nothing but disaster written all over that. And not the UNI attraction either.

I also don't think I've asked you directly your opinion, but do you really believe that this way of spending $1.5 billion is smarter than building actual attractions like what UNI and SW are doing or investing in physical infrastructure like monorails, roads and buildings? And before you answer, let's try and separate the back of the house tech upgrades, which were needed, from the entire MM+ program.
Chipotle has app for preordering food we have never had a problem. People who have smart phone tend to know how to use them. You aren't suddenly going to have 1000s if people with no clue ordering by smart phone.

The problem at Pecos Bills and BOG is you have guests who have never used the tech before and may not be tech savvy trying to use the system.

G00fyDad

Yes FP ticket machines will be gone. You will be able to make FP+ reservations ahead of your trip, or on the day of your trip whilst inside the park. To do this you will be able to use a smartphone, kiosks in the parks, or a computer with a web browser.

I just thought of another question that I have not seen answered or asked (not that it hasn't been). What if I choose to have one or two FP's in MK in the morning but am not sure where I'll be later? Can I make two FP+ reservations in the morning and then later, after hopping to another park, make more for that park at that time?

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I just thought of another question that I have not seen answered or asked (not that it hasn't been). What if I choose to have one or two FP's in MK in the morning but am not sure where I'll be later? Can I make two FP+ reservations in the morning and then later, after hopping to another park, make more for that park at that time?

The info Disney has posted says one park per day for the FP+ so you would have to choose which park to use all your FP+ credits at.

orky8

Chipotle has app for preordering food we have never had a problem. People who have smart phone tend to know how to use them. You aren't suddenly going to have 1000s if people with no clue ordering by smart phone.

The problem at Pecos Bills and BOG is you have guests who have never used the tech before and may not be tech savvy trying to use the system.

Are you kidding? My grandma has an iPhone. And no, she doesn't have a clue how to use it. We are at the point now where everybody and their grandmother has a smartphone. Literally.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Are you kidding? My grandma has an iPhone. And no, she doesn't have a clue how to use it. We are at the point now where everybody and their grandmother has a smartphone. Literally.

I said they "tend" to know how to use it. It is not likely your Grandmother who doesn't know how to use her smart phone it will be downloading the Disney App and trying to reorganize her FP+ or ordering off of the Chipotle or Publix Apps for lunch.

Genie of the Lamp

Seriously! Not singling your grandma out here, but many older folks such as parents and grandmas and grandpas want AND get these Iphones and Ipads cause they're eye candy but then once they have them..............THEY DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE THEM! I am just going to feel bad about the older elderly crew (ex. 70 yr old husband with his 67 year old wife) who want to come to WDW and they're going to not luck out simply due to their lack of technology causing a less than satisfying WDW experience.They won't know how to deal with the technology and they'll most likely be the ones who just don't get it vs the middle aged adult parents and twenty something aged couples who will get it.

Todd H

I keep seeing the "ordering a Publix sandwich online" scenario compared to MM+. To me there's no comparison. Imagine having to order your sandwich from Publix six months in advance. Now imagine the later you wait to order the sandwich the less chance you have of getting one. Who wants to order a sandwich six months ahead of time?

Disneyhead'71

Well, at least there will be kiosks for people without smartphones, but they are still at a bit of a disadvantage because they won't be to reserve any FP+'s while in line for another attraction like smartphone users will be able to do.

I'd hate to be a local WDW fan having to deal with all this; it sounds to me like they stand to suffer the most from all this MyMagic stuff...as if shutting locals out of dining with the 180-day ADR window wasn't bad enough, now we're reserving rides months in advance :( .
Yeah, Us locals already have to deal with mostly counter service meals. To be honest we have as much an opportunity to reserve our meals 180 day out just like tourists, but that sort of defeats the advantages of being a local and having an AP. None of the locals I know of do that. We just leave the parks early or arrive late and eat off property.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom