Mulan coming to Disney+

Wendy Pleakley

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

If its for a rental only, make it $20 and I am good with a 48 hour rental. But for $30.00 I would only spend that type of cash to own it on blu-ray. So if this offer came with not only the rental but also acts as my purchase for the blu ray where they will send me a copy of the blue ray with a digital download once its released on blu-ray, yeah I would spend money on that. But just for a rental on top of paying for the service? No.

Now for those who are saying "well you pay that much to see it in theatres one time" you forget one thing. I am getting value for my money. I am choosing to pay that price to experience the movie going experience. I am choosing to have a day or night out and go see this and get my popcorn and soda and be in a theatre with awesome sound and a big butt screen. I am getting value that I deem worthy spending money on for the experience. I would rather wait for it to be either on Disney+ for free or pay 2 bucks at the red box to rent the blu ray when it comes out.

You forgot most films on Disney+ Disney fans also own on dvd or blu-ray so people are also going to buy it when it comes out on Blu-Ray so why would they want to be double dipped??

Last edited:

Fox&Hound

Mulan looks amazing! I will pay that to honor all of the people who worked so hard on the film and no longer get to see their hard work played out on the big screen....

champdisney

Anyone here have an account with Disney Movie Rewards and have points racked up and have yet to utilize on those points to claim prizes because the current prizes listed... suck?

Here’s a thought. What if... Disney included ‘Mulan 2020’ as one of those prizes as long as you are a Disney+ subscriber. And in the case in which someone isn’t a subscriber... how about Disney includes a prize option that includes a monthly and/or yearly Disney+ subscription for FREE with the necessary points accumulated.

erasure fan1

Now for those who are saying "well you pay that much to see it in theatres one time" you forget one thing. I am getting value for my money. I am choosing to pay that price to experience the movie going experience.
No matter how you cut it though, you do pay that much to see it in the theater. Once. With no free digital download later. So I'm still not sure why the, I should get the movie to own as well, keeps coming up. I get it that a movie theater has the big screen and that is definitely part of the experience. But $30 just doesn't seem that out of line, considering most spend considerably more with snacks. Yes, if it's just you, it stinks, really bad. But never have I ever heard someone legitimately complain they weren't getting the home video free because they spent $30 for the family to see a movie in a theater. So why now is that such an issue? And again, the D+ paywall is bad, it should just be available on every platform to rent.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

No matter how you cut it though, you do pay that much to see it in the theater. Once. With no free digital download later. So I'm still not sure why the, I should get the movie to own as well, keeps coming up. I get it that a movie theater has the big screen and that is definitely part of the experience. But $30 just doesn't seem that out of line, considering most spend considerably more with snacks. Yes, if it's just you, it stinks, really bad. But never have I ever heard someone legitimately complain they weren't getting the home video free because they spent $30 for the family to see a movie in a theater. So why now is that such an issue? And again, the D+ paywall is bad, it should just be available on every platform to rent.
I clearly explained it. I am chosing to pay for that day or night out and have a theatre going experience. I deem I am getting value for that trip. There is no value in me renting a 30 dollar movie that I do not get a physical copy of. The price to me is unjust. Have to pay $30 on top of a membership fee and if I want to own the film on blu Ray I will have to pay another $30. Not worth it. I can wait until its in red box to rent it or on Disney+ as part of the subscription or just buy the blu ray for that price.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I clearly explained it. I am chosing to pay for that day or night out and have a theatre going experience. I deem I am getting value for that trip. There is no value in me renting a 30 dollar movie that I do not get a physical copy of. The price to me is unjust. Have to pay $30 on top of a membership fee and if I want to own the film on blu Ray I will have to pay another $30. Not worth it. I can wait until its in red box to rent it or on Disney+ as part of the subscription or just buy the blu ray for that price.
You are aware over time the physical media distribution model will be going away in favor of an all digital media model or even a no media streaming only model. Just like VHS, BetaMax, LaserDisc, DVD, and HD-DVD before it; Blu-Ray will be phased out in favor of new technology. Which is in this case digital media and no media streaming only models. Samsung the leading producer of Blu-Ray players will no longer be making new Blu-Ray players. There was even debate whether the new gaming consoles would include an optical drive to play Blu-Rays. They did this time around but don't bet on it for the next models in a couple years. And studios have even started offering digital releases of their films, and producing less physical Blu-rays.

So I wouldn't bet on Mulan automatically coming to Blu-Ray, it may, but don't be surprised if it doesn't. Also I wouldn't be surprised if you don't see Mulan on the subscription side of D+ until April or May of 2021.

Point is the future is being written now, and Disney is one of the authors of that future. Mulan is just the first domino to fall, more will come. And you can bet other studios will soon follow suit.

erasure fan1

And that’s perfectly fine. I am what they call a gloom and doomer on this site when it comes to Disney and its pricing. So I feel like I'm in the Twilight zone defening them. I just don't think the argument is fair except the double dip. If you think 30 is too much, great. I think quarter pounders from McDonald's aren't worth the money, so I don't buy them. But the I should get the movie free on home video, when that has never been a thing, I don't get. It will still come to D+ normally, it will still come to redbox/local video store. And I will wager a bet, that if the movie doesn't stink, it will see a limited run in the theaters at a later date as well. I've never seen anyone complain ordering take out from their favorite restaurant should cost less or their next meal should be free because you aren't getting the "full experience".

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

You are aware over time the physical media distribution model will be going away in favor of an all digital media model or even a no media streaming only model. Just like VHS, BetaMax, LaserDisc, DVD, and HD-DVD before it; Blu-Ray will be phased out in favor of new technology. Which is in this case digital media and no media streaming only models. Samsung the leading producer of Blu-Ray players will no longer be making new Blu-Ray players. There was even debate whether the new gaming consoles would include an optical drive to play Blu-Rays. They did this time around but don't bet on it for the next models in a couple years. And studios have even started offering digital releases of their films, and producing less physical Blu-rays.

So I wouldn't bet on Mulan automatically coming to Blu-Ray, it may, but don't be surprised if it doesn't. Also I wouldn't be surprised if you don't see Mulan on the subscription side of D+ until April or May of 2021.

Point is the future is being written now, and Disney is one of the authors of that future. Mulan is just the first domino to fall, more will come. And you can bet other studios will soon follow suit.
phyiscal media is not going anywhere and DVDs and blue rays are still being sold plenty. stop it. If there is one thing this pandemic has shown us is that people want physical copies of movies so that streaming service cant take them away or change the like with what happened with Gone with the Wind this summer.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
phyiscal media is not going anywhere and DVDs and blue rays are still being sold plenty. stop it. If there is one thing this pandemic has shown us is that people want physical copies of movies so that streaming service cant take them away or change the like with what happened with Gone with the Wind this summer.
If you say so.

Wendy Pleakley

Physical media may not go away completely, but there is a shift happening.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

people would rather own a disc and have peace of mind they will never lose the movie. it wont ever go away.

Tony Perkis

This is different, though. This isn’t entirely a shift in philosophy because the market switched to digital only, but because Disney wants to leverage Disney+.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Oh so Gone with the Wind did not become the #1 selling blu ray in america when it was removed from whatever streaming service it was on?
One example does not a trend make. However the 1000s of titles that are not being offered on physical media does show a trend.

But hey maybe you’re right and we'll see a resurgence of media companies offer all their content on physical media again. I however won’t be holding my breath waiting.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

One example does not a trend make. However the 1000s of titles that are not being offered on physical media does show a trend.

But hey maybe you’re right and we'll see a resurgence of media companies offer all their content on physical media again. I however won’t be holding my breath waiting.
There are more titles on physical media than on streaming services easily. tell me what titles are not on physical media.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom