Mulan coming to Disney+

doctornick

For me, this isn't about the $30 for Mulan. If I took my daughter to a theater, we'd pay more than that for tickets and concessions.

The problem I have with this is Disney monetizing content on a service I'm already paying a subscription price for. This is an extension of "freemium" games on your phone, or the extra-fee dessert party for the extra-fee MVMCP.

I am wary that the next thing is "We're glad you love the Mandalorian. New episodes drop weekly for the low-low price of $4.99, or you can subscribe to the season for just $44.99."

Slippery slope is slippery.

Would you prefer they develop a completely different platform solely for the purpose of VOD?

The movie is not (in September) going to be “on” Disney+. It is not content on the service that costs extra. Rather it’s content being sold directly to consumers that is just using the app as a platform and means to distribute. In fact, it doesn’t sound like a person will need a Disney+ subscription to order it.

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
Would you prefer they develop a completely different platform solely for the purpose of VOD?

The movie is not (in September) going to be “on” Disney+. It is not content on the service that costs extra. Rather it’s content being sold directly to consumers that is just using the app as a platform and means to distribute. In fact, it doesn’t sound like a person will need a Disney+ subscription to order it.

Honestly, it wouldn't have bothered me in the least if they had released this via the On Demand service that was used for Trolls World Tour, Scooby-Doo and Irresistible. And I may have actually rented it as I did for TWT (really fun) and Scooby-Doo (dreadful).

But releasing it as an add-on through Disney+ means I absolutely will not pay for it and will wait to watch it, if at all, when it's included. I'm not saying this is an entirely rational position, but we are talking about a company that found a way to sell the same park 4 times in a single day (EMM, Base, MVMCP, MVMCP Dessert Party).

Like I said, my concern is that if this goes well and gets a bunch of rentals through D+, ol' Chappy and the accountants will start to look to ways to monetize other high-profile properties that exist on D+, with the Mandalorian being the obvious choice due to its popularity with fans, critics and Emmy voters.

Lucky Rabbit

Honestly, it wouldn't have bothered me in the least if they had released this via the On Demand service that was used for Trolls World Tour, Scooby-Doo and Irresistible. And I may have actually rented it as I did for TWT (really fun) and Scooby-Doo (dreadful).

But releasing it as an add-on through Disney+ means I absolutely will not pay for it and will wait to watch it, if at all, when it's included.
Mulan was setup to be a billion dollar movie for Disney. Black Widow is probably in a similar situation. If they went PVOD like you’re suggesting Disney gets 80% of the profits.

By going through their existing infrastructure they keep 100% of the sales. You pay your cable provider, you’d honestly feel better if they got their 20% cut so you could rent it outside of Disney+?

Like I said, my concern is that if this goes well and gets a bunch of rentals through D+, ol' Chappy and the accountants will start to look to ways to monetize other high-profile properties that exist on D+, with the Mandalorian being the obvious choice due to its popularity with fans, critics and Emmy voters.
I think overly monetizing anything is a valid concern, but then you’re turning Disney+ into an iTunes Store not a streaming service.

You’d also be limiting the reach of your product. How much money did Disney make off The Child merchandise? If you had to pay per episode you’d severely limit who’d watch any of your original content.

mf1972

I was agreeing, or thinking your movie theater cost comparison was a good benchmark for comparison.

$40 is unheard of, because this is a new phenomena, so the pricing may seem high but for the option to watch a new blockbuster movie at home, during the theatrical window, is going to cost more than a traditional movie rental or purchase.

Heck, I remember when VHS movies were $100 to buy. The only option to watch at home was initially to rent them. It was a year or more before one could own a copy of a movie.

This is a steal, comparatively speaking.
i remember those days too & having to wait a year or so before it went to cable. and now i feel old...

Tony Perkis

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney must be desperate for revenue if they can't delay this movie anymore.

Chapek gave the game away in the quarterly call:

Big tent pole movies drive up D+ subs. (Hamilton and Frozen2)

Mulan is expected to be an international hit, and so, this will drive up D+ subs internationally.

For China, where it's expected to do very well, they're ready and thirsty for a big movie.

China's ready to go. The U.S. can afford the price tab. D+ subs go up. Pull the trigger.

Tamandua

Chapek gave the game away in the quarterly call:

Big tent pole movies drive up D+ subs. (Hamilton and Frozen2)

Mulan is expected to be an international hit, and so, this will drive up D+ subs internationally.

For China, where it's expected to do very well, they're ready and thirsty for a big movie.

China's ready to go. The U.S. can afford the price tab. D+ subs go up. Pull the trigger.

Are subs going to go down after the first year? My family signed up for a full year but I don't think we use it enough to keep it.

Lucky Rabbit

I’d rather purchase a 4K HDR Blu-Ray, as that $30 purchase doesn’t hinge on me continuing to pay $6 per month to have access to it.
That’s fair, but that be the same situation if you saw it in theaters. You see it once and that’s it. They are making the best of a bad situation since theaters won’t be open in the US for some time.

The alternative is stop making movies for a while and just delay everything until 2022. I think with how strong this will do internationally it’s the perfect test subject for this model.

erasure fan1

That’s fair, but that be the same situation if you saw it in theaters. You see it once and that’s it. They are making the best of a bad situation since theaters won’t be open in the US for some time.
Exactly. I don't really get why people keep bringing up the Blu-ray comparison. Every movie I pay 25 to 35 bucks to see it when it's released. And once I see it, I can't see it again unless I pay my money again. Or wait to purchase the Blu-ray for ANOTHER 25+. Now I get the it's only me argument and I'm really not keen on them charging 30 while it's behind a paywall. It should be on every VOD store front.

Wendy Pleakley

The alternative is stop making movies for a while and just delay everything until 2022. I think with how strong this will do internationally it’s the perfect test subject for this model.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of this model, but if you compare it to paying whatever it cost to rent Trolls World Tour it's not so bad. I would look at it as more of a rental, and if I "buy" it but let my Disney+ subscription lapse it's not the end of the world.

Tony Perkis

Exactly. I don't really get why people keep bringing up the Blu-ray comparison. Every movie I pay 25 to 35 bucks to see it when it's released. And once I see it, I can't see it again unless I pay my money again. Or wait to purchase the Blu-ray for ANOTHER 25+. Now I get the it's only me argument and I'm really not keen on them charging 30 while it's behind a paywall. It should be on every VOD store front.
The issue is you aren’t buying the film for $30. You’re buying the film and only allowed to access it if you pay $7 to retain Disney+ on a monthly basis. That’s nonsense.

Lucky Rabbit

The issue is you aren’t buying the film for $30. You’re buying the film and only allowed to access it if you pay $7 to retain Disney+ on a monthly basis. That’s nonsense.
But if you went to the movies or did another PVOD you’re not keeping it beyond 48 hours. Unlimited access is a perk, and you’re making it sound like a negative. No other studio is offering that on a rental.

But I’m sure if you wait a couple months it will be on regular Disney+. This is purely for those who want to view it during the theatrical window.

erasure fan1

I agree with the paywall rental as I said in my post. But you aren't buying the film at all. As you shouldn't be. You are renting it. So it should be just that, a rental. From ANY store front. It can't be compared to the Blu-ray just like you can't compare a theatrical release to Blu-ray either.

LittleBuford

Does anyone here know whether the film will eventually join the rest of Disney+'s regularly priced content? Their announcement that the $30 fee buys you continuous access makes it seem as if the film will never be made available to other subscribers, but that seems incredible to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom