Mulan coming to Disney+

It looks like a great movie, however, I'm in no hurry. I'm not too crazy about paying for disney+ and then having to pay for extras. It's like paying to go to the magic kingdom and then having to pay extra to ride Tron when it opens. I realize disney is heading in that direction but I'll fight it to the bitter end. Anyways... I'll wait until the price drops... probably when it's below $15.

GSP Guy

Personally I'll vastly overpay for a stay at the Polynesian and I'll happily vastly overpay for various snacks and dining experiences at WDW. However there is no chance on earth I'm paying even remotely close to $30 to watch a movie at home. When we go to a theater to watch a movie it's to go out and for the overall experience. If that's a thing of the past I'll wait to watch the movie or simply won't watch it at all.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Or $30, $20, $10 depending on level of Disney+ subscription. They're unlikely to recoup budget and turn a profit.
Why not use the Mulan movie to boost Disney+ subscribers!? A free rental for new signups.

Tony Perkis

Or $30, $20, $10 depending on level of Disney+ subscription. They're unlikely to recoup budget and turn a profit.
Why not use the Mulan movie to boost Disney+ subscribers!? A free rental for new signups.
Disney already showed with Hamilton that this isn't an option for them.

J4546

Original Poster
yeah I would like to see it at 20 as well but 30 is about what 2 tickets to a movie costs without food/drink, then it gets way more expensive. My gf will end up getting this and we will watch it. I wonder how long the rental is or do you get digital ownership so you can just watch it wenevs on the app until its free for everyone else too.

Ldno

29.99 for a platform exclusive is wayy to much. 24.99 is the best i would do. I was hoping this would be on itunes but they don’t do 4k hdr streaming from disney studios so the price wouldn’t even be worth it.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Disney already showed with Hamilton that this isn't an option for them.

Can't compare Hamilton to a "tentpole" release. Different target demo entirely. Disney had the potential to give the people Mulan and gain subscribers. But it looks like they're after shorterm gains and nothing more. I suspect that $30 is to help pay off the production budget. Forget turning a profit in the US.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Can't compare Hamilton to a "tentpole" release. Different target demo entirely. Disney had the potential to give the people Mulan and gain subscribers. But it looks like they're after shorterm gains and nothing more. I suspect that $30 is to help pay off the production budget. Forget turning a profit in the US.

They probably did the math and figured they would do better with this model then try to get more subscribers. Hamilton probably tapped an audience that wasn't Disney fans, but Mulan would probably appeal to a lot of people who are already subscribers.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
They probably did the math and figured they would do better with this model then try to get more subscribers. Hamilton probably tapped an audience that wasn't Disney fans, but Mulan would probably appeal to a lot of people who are already subscribers.

Exactly. If the core audience for Hamilton aren't "Disney fans" why would they go in for a Disney+ Subscription? The Mulan IP however was perfectly positioned to attract potential subscribers. The type of viewer that is with 100% certainty Disney's bread and butter target viewer but one that failed to sign up. If they didn't sign up previously they'd be more inclined to do so with a free rental dangled in front of them.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Exactly. If the core audience for Hamilton aren't "Disney fans" why would they go in for a Disney+ Subscription? The Mulan IP however was perfectly positioned to attract potential subscribers. The type of viewer that is with 100% certainty Disney's bread and butter target viewer but one that failed to sign up. If they didn't sign up previously they'd be more inclined to do so with a free rental dangled in front of them.

I have two family members who aren't Disney fans who subscribed just for Hamilton.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I have two family members who aren't Disney fans who subscribed just for Hamilton.

That's great! In the comparison made Hamilton is less Disney and therefore less likely to have Disney subscribers. Mulan IS Disney. Mulan could bring subscribers. It's not mutually exclusive though. In Disney's case I think they'd prefer brand retention over one-off subscribers. Non-Disney fans are less likely to subscribe. But I fear we're getting off topic.

Mulan on Disney+. Could have been a boon for "new" subscribers. Instead it could very well cause current subscribers to cancel. $30 is steep ask for the one-off Disney+ viewer.

Last edited:

Ldno

What does this price point indicate?

Disney knew they had a major flop on their hands with Artemis Fowl.
This actually es me off even more because it shows them how desperate they are to make some profit, they could have had this on prime/itunes/roku/Microsoft store for 19.99 or 24.99 and make more with a bigger audience. Now it feels like they are bottlenecking customers to get them on disney +. I always knew they wouldn’t do this streaming for free, is Mulan a movie worth paying for? I would have dropped 30 bucks for an at home marvel film new release, not Mulan, they have butchered a lot IMHO. Shows you how much the Disney Brand thinks they are worth.

That’s how you get customer, reel them in for cheap, then we will milk you for expensive VOD releases in the future!!! Oh you want to watch Black Widow give us 35 bucks

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Normally, when a movie hits VoD after having been in the theater, you can expect it to be about $20. Then the movie goes through more resale windows: Premium cable, cable & broadcast channels, DVD, and "included in your streaming subscription." At that point you can then find it on VoD for $5-10.

Mulan is being released in theaters... in markets in which theaters are open. In COVID countries, it's not going to premiere in theaters, but on D+'s VoD. In this premiere window, $30 is not extraordinary. Although that's hard to tell since you normally can't get a movie on VoD during its theatrical window. And so, you pay a premium price for this 'first run' window.

Mulan will then move through the other resale windows: premium cable, cable/broadcast, DVD, and eventually at no extra cost on D+ (and probably $10 VoD). Just like every other major theatrical movie.

So, if you don't want to pay to see Mulan in its first saleable window, then wait. Just like if you didn't want to pay to go to a theater to see any other movie, it eventually winds up free with advertising or no-extra-cost on your streaming subscription.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom