Mulan coming to Disney+

Disney Irish

Premium Member
its a bad precedence, if this succeeds expect a lot of newer movies to cost when they are first put on dis+
I hope it fails
I also hope black widow is at the theaters before I end up paying for it... cause marvel and star wars are a weakness.....
Early access and direct access via PVOD is not new, even on subscription services. It was bound to happen, and some even predicted it, with D+ as well.

Darkprime

Disney is now calling the $29.99 "Premier Access" allowing you access "before other Disney+ subscribers". This implies that it will eventually be available to everyone.

I'm guessing 3 months or 90 days (mirroring the original theatrical window) on premiere access before going on standard Disney+

Slpy3270

So it looks like Disney is serious about collecting *all* profits from the sales of Mulan, so much that they're willing to risk Disney+ getting banned from the App Store and Google Play.

Per this from the Disney Plus website:

"Starting September 4, with Premier Access, you can watch Mulan before it's available to all Disney+ subscribers. Disney+ will offer Premier Access to Mulan for $29.99 on disneyplus.com and select platforms. Once you have Premier Access to Mulan, you can watch as many times as you want on any platform where Disney+ is available. Your access to Mulan will continue as long as you are an active Disney+ subscriber."

Aren't they not paying attention to the Fortnite situation now?

Wendy Pleakley

So it looks like Disney is serious about collecting *all* profits from the sales of Mulan, so much that they're willing to risk Disney+ getting banned from the App Store and Google Play.

"Starting September 4, with Premier Access, you can watch Mulan before it's available to all Disney+ subscribers. Disney+ will offer Premier Access to Mulan for $29.99 on disneyplus.com and select platforms. Once you have Premier Access to Mulan, you can watch as many times as you want on any platform where Disney+ is available. Your access to Mulan will continue as long as you are an active Disney+ subscriber."

What's the rule Apple has for in-app purchases? Is it that content can be sold within an app, or outside the app, but not both?

I know for example, I bought comics through the Comixology app in the past. The company didn't want to lose that 30% to Apple so they decided to sell the comics direct on their website, but I can read them through the app.

However, to muddy the waters, the DC Comics specific app, which is part of comixology, allows both. I can do in-app purchases but can also read DC comics purchased through the Comixology website.

So, based on that this might not be an issue. I can buy Mulan directly from Disney.com or whatever and still access it through the Disney+ app. Of course, this sounds like what Fortnite tried to do and the app got pulled, so I'm not clear what is and isn't allowed.

ppete1975

Early access and direct access via PVOD is not new, even on subscription services. It was bound to happen, and some even predicted it, with D+ as well.
Its new for disney+. My main concern is netflix, amazon, apple, hulu (which is the closest comparisons) never charge for a new movie. My opinion only i think its too pricey and if disney+ is a requirement to people that dont have it, its even costlier. My issue with it being a precedence is i can see movies when the first go to dvd/bluray to cost extra. Or maybe other charges. In my opinion they should have released it as a vod seperate from disney+ but discounted if you have disney +. Hopefully this is just a reflection of the time and just going to happen during covid. Then again universal and amc had a spat over the future vod/ movie theater release thing so who knows.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

I suspect this is different though. As I suspect this wouldn't be an in-app purchase for Mulan and other "premier access" movies as it would be going through your Disney+ account and not the Apple app pay system.

lazyboy97o

What's the rule Apple has for in-app purchases? Is it that content can be sold within an app, or outside the app, but not both?

I know for example, I bought comics through the Comixology app in the past. The company didn't want to lose that 30% to Apple so they decided to sell the comics direct on their website, but I can read them through the app.

However, to muddy the waters, the DC Comics specific app, which is part of comixology, allows both. I can do in-app purchases but can also read DC comics purchased through the Comixology website.

So, based on that this might not be an issue. I can buy Mulan directly from Disney.com or whatever and still access it through the Disney+ app. Of course, this sounds like what Fortnite tried to do and the app got pulled, so I'm not clear what is and isn't allowed.
Streaming apps have different rules than other apps because Netflix was too big to ignore. In-app purchases must use Apple’s (or Google’s if downloaded via the Google Play Store) in-app payment processing giving Apple a 30% cut of the transaction, be it a one time purchase or a subscription (which now drops to 15% after a year). Services can offer purchases outside of the app but they must 1) have free functionality (unless it is a streaming app because Netflix didn’t want to give Apple 30% of their revenue) and 2) there cannot be a link in the app to the outside purchase system.

lazyboy97o

I suspect this is different though. As I suspect this wouldn't be an in-app purchase for Mulan and other "premier access" movies as it would be going through your Disney+ account and not the Apple app pay system.
Apps from the Apple App Store must use Apple’s payment system. Fortnite was removed for adding their own payment system.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Its new for disney+. My main concern is netflix, amazon, apple, hulu (which is the closest comparisons) never charge for a new movie. My opinion only i think its too pricey and if disney+ is a requirement to people that dont have it, its even costlier. My issue with it being a precedence is i can see movies when the first go to dvd/bluray to cost extra. Or maybe other charges. In my opinion they should have released it as a vod seperate from disney+ but discounted if you have disney +. Hopefully this is just a reflection of the time and just going to happen during covid. Then again universal and amc had a spat over the future vod/ movie theater release thing so who knows.
Um what do you mean. I can go right to Amazon right now and get "early access" to movies right now.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Apps from the Apple App Store must use Apple’s payment system. Fortnite was removed for adding their own payment system.
"Must they"? Because I wasn't required to pay for D+ through Apple's pay system in order to use the app, nor is it linked to my Apple account. But yet I'm still able to use the app on my iPhone.

I think that rule only applies to apps that provide an "in-app" purchase option. Which is not how D+ works currently.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

If there is a conflict with Apple, I'm sure D+ is OK with not showing Mulan on iOS devices. Most people wanting to watch a movie and pay a premier price for it don't usually watch it on their phone. This is a big-TV event. Don't know how many people would pay the price if their only venue to watch it was an iPhone.

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

I think Apple mandates a 30% cut.

lazyboy97o

"Must they"? Because I wasn't required to pay for D+ through Apple's pay system in order to use the app, nor is it linked to my Apple account. But yet I'm still able to use the app on my iPhone.

I think that rule only applies to apps that provide an "in-app" purchase option. Which is not how D+ works currently.
I thought you were referring to Disney using your Disney account to make the purchase in the app.

Streaming apps are allowed to require a subscription and not offer an in-app purchase. For other apps if a subscription is required they must offer an in-app subscription purchase using Apple’s system.

If there is a conflict with Apple, I'm sure D+ is OK with not showing Mulan on iOS devices. Most people wanting to watch a move and pay a premier price for it don't usually watch it on their phone. This is a big-TV event. Don't know how many people would pay the price if their only venue to watch it was an iPhone.
The rules also apply to AppleTV apps.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I thought you were referring to Disney using your Disney account to make the purchase in the app.

Streaming apps are allowed to require a subscription and not offer an in-app purchase. For other apps if a subscription is required they must offer an in-app subscription purchase using Apple’s system.

The rules also apply to AppleTV apps.
Nope, I was referring to the purchase of the "Premier Access" content from the Disney+ account and just using the app to access it. The app is just the access point not the purchase point.

Ldno

If there is a conflict with Apple, I'm sure D+ is OK with not showing Mulan on iOS devices. Most people wanting to watch a movie and pay a premier price for it don't usually watch it on their phone. This is a big-TV event. Don't know how many people would pay the price if their only venue to watch it was an iPhone.
Apple controls pricing of all content on Itunes, hence why all movies are regularly released consistently at 19.99 for brand new 4k digital digital movies no matter the studio, or 14.99. Believe it or not Disney and Apple had a falling out on how Disney wanted to charge consumers 24.99 for 4k Digital HD movies, 19.99 for HD (which is their current pricing for disney movies) 14.99 for SD, etc. Apple stuck it to them and told them no. Disney just decided not to updated their digital content to 4k for consumers who already bought their movies for free like other studios have done already and is the last movie studios who has not done so.

Disney on the other hand sells you their 4k movies for 24.99 through Vudu and the Microsoft Store. Amazon is on the same boat with apple. Basically they will want you to double dip on digital content or watch it through their D+ app as exclusive content, but Mulan would be treated as PPV more than anything. The key thing here is that if you rent it via itunes you can watch it on iphone, ipad, Apple TV, basically anywhere you want to Up to 6 apple devices. But oh boy, since movie theaters are planning to reopen in my area this week, Warner Brothers gearing up towards Tenet is doing a 10th anniversary inception screening and also throwing in Interstellar, what irks is the seating arrangement for an imax theater! On top of the fact that you can’t get free popcorn refills or drinks anymore as an update I just read while buying tickets from their policies thanks to covid, I am not feeling the theater experience. Look at the seating arrangement, split families are going to be sooooo social distanced it’s not going to be funny, but Hey, what can i do, this is the same screen i saw endgame, bvs, civil war, winter soldier, the Star Wars trilogy, it will be weird.

Attachments

• 0A94C9AA-969E-401A-9100-06A2B9CBCFB4.png
    0A94C9AA-969E-401A-9100-06A2B9CBCFB4.png
    104.1 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Support our cinemas!

The best way to support cinemas is to get your community/state to do all the right things to get positivity rates under 1% so that theaters can safely open. Wear your masks everywhere. Attack the cause of why cinemas can't open, not just demand that they open.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom