Mulan coming to Disney+

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Ah, so you can dish it out but can't take it I see. ;)

And actually it does matter, because that is how businesses like Disney make decisions.

But its ok my friend. I'm not here to break down your door and take your discs.

In reality I think you're actually partially right. Just like there is a collectors market for vinyl, VHS, and other forms of outdated media. I believe there will be one for Blu-Ray and 4k UHD here very soon. So yes in that sense it'll never go away, as there will always be collectors. But new releases, over time that will diminish in favor of all digital media.
I am right. physical media is never going away.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Reminder: DVD and BluRay are also digital media as opposed to VHS which is analog.

If, in the future, DVD and BluRay are no longer available as digital storage media, you can still store a purchased UHD 4K version of a movie on digital drives (if available).

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Reminder: DVD and BluRay are also digital media as opposed to VHS which is analog.

If, in the future, DVD and BluRay are no longer available as digital storage media, you can still store a purchased UHD 4K version of a movie on digital drives (if available).
I will be waiting for its big release on betamax.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

I think some just don't like the idea of not having something tangible they can hold. I suspect long term they will be in the very small minority based on the current trends.

erasure fan1

I think some just don't like the idea of not having something tangible they can hold. I suspect long term they will be in the very small minority based on the current trends.
The fear is not really owning your purchase and loosing everything if whatever service you used goes bye bye. Also people want to know what they purchased won't be changed, altered, censored. If you buy a disc, it's that content forever. Do you really trust Disney to not change or edit a movie years later to pander to some stupid agenda? I sure don't.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The fear is not really owning your purchase and loosing everything if whatever service you used goes bye bye. Also people want to know what they purchased won't be changed, altered, censored. If you buy a disc, it's that content forever. Do you really trust Disney to not change or edit a movie years later to pander to some stupid agenda? I sure don't.
No honestly I don't have that fear. This is a larger discussion that can turn very political very quick. So let me just say movies have been edited for content, length, and even aspect ratios and quality for many generations now based on the medium and time period they are shown. Even the physical media that you cling to has been altered in some cases from the theatrical release.

So I get it some people just want the physical disc, and there is nothing wrong with that. Its just not a long term distribution model, but hey nothing is. The content business is always changing and so is the way that content is being distributed to consumers.

CaptainAmerica

The Movies Anywhere model is extremely consumer-friendly. If you own a digital movie through Amazon, Apple, Vudu, Google/YouTube, Microsoft, Xfinity, Fandango, Verizon, or DirecTV, you own it on all of them.

Wendy Pleakley

I'm not a fan of my digital purchases being altered in any way either, but I would also consider the following in terms of the fear that a service will simply disappear.

Most of my digital movies are on iTunes. I really don't think Apple will be folding any time soon. They also upgraded many of my HD movies to 4K at no cost.

In the future Blu-ray will be obsolete. Disc owners will have a shelf full of obsolete media, while I have a higher quality 4K digital library that I can always access, even if/when blu-ray players disappear completely.

I also had some movies on Ultra Violet which closed, but they transferred my films to YouTube, so the consumer isn't always screwed in those cases.

I do own physical and digital media, and there's pros and cons to both.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

Even the physical media that you cling to has been altered in some cases from the theatrical release.
Hold up there champ. I don't cling to physical, I was giving a reason a lot of people aren't super keen on digital. Yes, things get altered, but the version you buy, is the version you always have. Do I like physical? Yes. Do I hate digital? Nope. Digital has a ton of upside. Unfortunately as long as Internet is as restricted as it is, I can't fully embrace digital, especially in games. More people across the country have Internet limits and issues than most people know. So in my opinion, until they do something about Internet, physical will have a follwing.
some people just want the physical disc, and there is nothing wrong with that. Its just not a long term distribution model, but hey nothing is
Realistically, buying a movie, either physical or digital, is going away. Streaming is the way the future will be if the studios get their way. With direct to consumer streaming, the studio has 100% control, and that is what they want.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Hold up there champ. I don't cling to physical, I was giving a reason a lot of people aren't super keen on digital. Yes, things get altered, but the version you buy, is the version you always have. Do I like physical? Yes. Do I hate digital? Nope. Digital has a ton of upside. Unfortunately as long as Internet is as restricted as it is, I can't fully embrace digital, especially in games. More people across the country have Internet limits and issues than most people know. So in my opinion, until they do something about Internet, physical will have a follwing.

Realistically, buying a movie, either physical or digital, is going away. Streaming is the way the future will be if the studios get their way. With direct to consumer streaming, the studio has 100% control, and that is what they want.
Sorry, I didn't mean to insinuate you specifically, I really meant the royal "you".

And I agree about internet restrictions, it a shame. I personally don't have that problem, but can see it being a problem. My guess is over the next decade or so it'll be a problem that is tackled especially as more telecom consolidation happens by the media companies.

And yes I believe streaming is the "wave of the future".

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
The Movies Anywhere model is extremely consumer-friendly. If you own a digital movie through Amazon, Apple, Vudu, Google/YouTube, Microsoft, Xfinity, Fandango, Verizon, or DirecTV, you own it on all of them.
But this is the issue - you don't really "own" any of the content. You have a license to view it until and unless the content is removed or altered. Amazon has removed books from Kindles. And what happens when sensibilities change and something you only have a digital license to view is deemed too offensive for you to watch? Or the creator decides to continue to tinker with his creation so that not only does Han not shoot first, but there is some asinine McClunkey being yelled? If you have a VHS box set from before the special editions were released, you can watch the Cantina scene without the subsequent bastardizations.

(But I do agree that the Movies Anywhere model is great, as long as the content isn't pulled down or changed.)

Wendy Pleakley

Disney is now calling the $29.99 "Premier Access" allowing you access "before other Disney+ subscribers". This implies that it will eventually be available to everyone.

I don't think this was ever in doubt.

The $29.99 is basically a rental fee with the "bonus" that you can watch it more than once if you maintain an active D+ subscription.

Viewing it as a "purchase" that is tied to D+ is what rubs some people the wrong way.

ppete1975

its a bad precedence, if this succeeds expect a lot of newer movies to cost when they are first put on dis+
I hope it fails
I also hope black widow is at the theaters before I end up paying for it... cause marvel and star wars are a weakness.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom