Movies...movies...movies

EpcotServo

Saw Leap Year...Ugghhh. Average of the Avergest Romantic Comedies.

During which though, I had a long retrospective of the American Romantic Comedy, and found it to be the most depressing genre in Film History. The only people in their world of two dimensional characters who are single get stuck as "The Annoying Flirty Blonde Friend of the Leading Actress who wants to kill/or harm her for her life at all times". So in their bubbly romantic world, make no mistake, you will only be a pathetic annoying side character and can't possibly find any happiness being single.
:lol:

Never mind the subservent role women play, even the Lead Character has some glaring personality defect. (Here BLUNTLY SAID IN THIS STUPID MOVIE by her literally saying "I don't like surprises." Oh boy, we're in for a treat! She doesn't like surprises! He's an irish good looking unpredictable rougue! It's kooky! :lol: :brick:)

Anyways, so the women always have a poison personality that conflicts with the Man's (Always more embraced) personality, and no matter weither she's happy or not-Must change her personality as she learns from The Man.

Seriously...These American Romantic Comedies these people call "Cute" are really very depressing cardboard vignettes where love is a cookie cutter series of accidents, only leading in a "love" that's generally just a gender swapping of personallities. (I.E. The woman who hates surprises learns to be unpredictable, the unpredictable man who hates commitment suddenly wants to commit to everything. Now the pants are on the right gender, right lazy screenwriters? :lol: :brick:)

Seriously, I'll take a REAL film like Up in the Air over some of these flat popcorn PG13 movies. Their rigidness and predictability of their world of caricatures makes me depressed that other people think that's "how it should work."

Want to see good Romantic Comedies? Go international. Shaun of the Dead, Love Actully, and Train Man (Densha Otaku) are the best.

catinthehat

Yeah...I would put that under romantic comedy either - LOL.

Not to totally change the topic, but I just watched "I've Loved You So Long" and I can't get over Kristen Scott Thomas' performance - absolutely amazing.

EPCOT Explorer

Saw Leap Year...Ugghhh. Average of the Avergest Romantic Comedies.

During which though, I had a long retrospective of the American Romantic Comedy, and found it to be the most depressing genre in Film History. The only people in their world of two dimensional characters who are single get stuck as "The Annoying Flirty Blonde Friend of the Leading Actress who wants to kill/or harm her for her life at all times". So in their bubbly romantic world, make no mistake, you will only be a pathetic annoying side character and can't possibly find any happiness being single.

Never mind the subservent role women play, even the Lead Character has some glaring personality defect. (Here BLUNTLY SAID IN THIS STUPID MOVIE by her literally saying "I don't like surprises." Oh boy, we're in for a treat! She doesn't like surprises! He's an irish good looking unpredictable rougue! It's kooky! :lol: :brick:)

Anyways, so the women always have a poison personality that conflicts with the Man's (Always more embraced) personality, and no matter weither she's happy or not-Must change her personality as she learns from The Man.

Seriously...These American Romantic Comedies these people call "Cute" are really very depressing cardboard vignettes where love is a cookie cutter series of accidents, only leading in a "love" that's generally just a gender swapping of personallities. (I.E. The woman who hates surprises learns to be unpredictable, the unpredictable man who hates commitment suddenly wants to commit to everything. Now the pants are on the right gender, right lazy screenwriters? :lol: :brick:)

Seriously, I'll take a REAL film like Up in the Air over some of these flat popcorn PG13 movies. Their rigidness and predictability of their world of caricatures makes me depressed that other people think that's "how it should work."

Want to see good Romantic Comedies? Go international. Shaun of the Dead, Love Actully, and Train Man (Densha Otaku) are the best.
Thoughts on Avatar? :wave:

Lee

Adventurer
Saw Avatar tonight! WOW!
Yeah. Saw it last weekend in the Imax. Easily the most visually stunning film I have ever seen. Had to keep telling myself "None of that is real. There is no jungle.":lol:
Saw Daybreakers yesterday. Quite good. Nice to see vampires with some bloodthirst and anger in them for a change.

EPCOT Explorer

Yeah. Saw it last weekend in the Imax. Easily the most visually stunning film I have ever seen. Had to keep telling myself "None of that is real. There is no jungle.":lol:
Saw Daybreakers yesterday. Quite good. Nice to see vampires with some bloodthirst and anger in them for a change.

I kept thinking..."This needs to be built...Disney?!" :lol:

Heck, they have the huge tree...two of them, really...:lookaroun

dxwwf3

Saw Avatar tonight! WOW! I was not expecting ANYTHING out of this movie, thought it would be a all effects. I was very, very wrong. FANTASTIC storyline, acting, effects, everything. A mix of Pocahontas, Star Wars, WALL-E, Terminator, and the Vietnam War. Superb!

I completely agree. Star Wars and Jurassic Park are some of the most enjoyable movies ever made, but nobody complains about their stories for some reason? There is every bit as much originality in Avatar's story and characters than in any of the Star Wars and Jurassic Park films.

EPCOT Explorer

I completely agree. Star Wars and Jurassic Park are some of the most enjoyable movies ever made, but nobody complains about their stories for some reason? There is every bit as much originality in Avatar's story and characters than in any of the Star Wars and Jurassic Park films.

I agree....and I must say, I was NOT expecting such a powerful message and story out of that. I was expecting it all to be effects. So happy I was wrong.

This thing gave me GOOSEBUMPS, if that's a indication. Disney and other franchises like Star Wars only do that to me, for instance. That's something huge, IMHO! :lol:

dxwwf3

I agree....and I must say, I was NOT expecting such a powerful message and story out of that. I was expecting it all to be effects. So happy I was wrong.

I think some people were expecting Avatar to have an "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" type of storyline. It wouldn't have worked. Small, independent type of movie storylines work for those type of films. Avatar needed a broad, somewhat general storyline to make it as appealing to as many people as possible and to not upstage the character development so key to the film.

EpcotServo

Shaun of the dead wasn't made to be a purely Zombie or parody film. The whole point of the movie is that "it's a Romantic Comedy...with zombies."

And I'll say it again, Avatar is a great movie. It isn't the Movie of the decade, has a dry and standard story, and no character depth. This isn't biting criticism, just my level-headed opinion on an otherwise enjoyable and visually spectacular popcorn film.

And it's not a matter of expecting a deep storyline-Just some depth to a simple one.

I mean here's something to think about- John Cameron recently said the Dr. character (Who I liked) was a metaphor for living in the video game world and abandoning your real body by treating it poorly.

Ok...so what of the main character who also abandons his body for the Avatar one? Say what?

:lol: :dazzle:

It's those kinds of things. As I said, it's a very good and well directed film that for me serves as the best example yet for using special effects and 3-D when it's right, not trying to cram it in.

dxwwf3

Shaun of the dead wasn't made to be a purely Zombie or parody film. The whole point of the movie is that "it's a Romantic Comedy...with zombies."

Well I don't think it succeeded at that. I thought as a parody, it was fine and as an overall movie it was slightly above average, but instantly forgettable :shrug:

EpcotServo

Well I don't think it succeeded at that. I thought as a parody, it was fine and as an overall movie it was slightly above average, but instantly forgettable :shrug:

Then there's nothing else to discuss.

Fire when ready.

*Blows up your homeworld with my Death Star*

:fork::lol:

Edgar Wright is my director of the decade and a big inspiration. And Like Tarantino, would pay to have a conversation about movies with.

dxwwf3

Edgar Wright is my director of the decade and a big inspiration. And Like Tarantino, would pay to have a conversation about movies with.

Edgar Wright's segment in Grindhouse "Don't" was better than Shaun of the Dead. One of the best trailers in Grindhouse for sure.

imagineer boy

And I'll say it again, Avatar is a great movie. It isn't the Movie of the decade, has a dry and standard story, and no character depth. This isn't biting criticism, just my level-headed opinion on an otherwise enjoyable and visually spectacular popcorn film.

And it's not a matter of expecting a deep storyline-Just some depth to a simple one.

I mean here's something to think about- John Cameron recently said the Dr. character (Who I liked) was a metaphor for living in the video game world and abandoning your real body by treating it poorly.

Ok...so what of the main character who also abandons his body for the Avatar one? Say what?

:lol: :dazzle:

It's those kinds of things. As I said, it's a very good and well directed film that for me serves as the best example yet for using special effects and 3-D when it's right, not trying to cram it in.

I agree. I enjoyed the film too, but the story left me a little cold. For one thing I found the whole evil corporation thing really cliche and the rest was obviously like Dances with Wolves, Last Samurai, Ten Commandments, etc. Its not a bad thing to reuse an old story, but I think Cameron could've disguised it a bit more.

One thing I do disagree on is the characters. I think they were well developed and made up for the predictable plot.

Don't get me wrong, I REALLY enjoyed the movie but simply felt the story could've been stronger.

EpcotServo

You're on Twitter, right?
Tell Edgar he MUST move forward on the sequel, "From Dusk 'til Shaun".
That would reek of awesome.

I don't think they were ever serious about that...

I do know there is a last film in the "Blood and Cornetto" Trilogy called "world's end." He said something in an interview along the lines of doing a small film (Far quicker than the epicness of Scott Pilgrim) then getting together with Simon and Nick to do it. Can't wait.
:D

imagineer boy

Anyone see the Percy Jackson and the Olympians movie yet? I went in fully expecting it to suck, and it was actually pretty good! Nice little surprise.

Jasonflz

FINALLY saw District 9 last night. It was a fairly weird movie but, to be honest, it was definitely not like anything else I have ever seen so far.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom