Most Disappointing Meal in WDW?

Dwarful

We haven't done 1900 for breakfast, but the Strawberry Soup was so yummy, my nephew had to get the recipe so we could make it at home. It's very popular at our house during the summer months.

SchultzFamily

Probably a tie with two: Boatwright's (dinner) and Hollywood Brown Derby. After reading terrific reviews about both, we thought we'd try them. At both, the service was terrible, the food mediocre at both (we had steak at both and it was bland and fatty). Boatwright's was so loud you couldn't even hear yourself think and Derby the waiter acted as if he didn't want to be bothered with us or our questions--and their were only five tables with people in the whole place and he only had us to wait on. And my DH absolutely hated the grapefruit cake. He is a HUGE dessert lover, and he thought this was the worse thing he had ever had.

lighteningqueen

I was reading here about all the worst foods and can see a pattern here. Since the new dinnig plan without the apps and the now having to tip... seems as though the food has gone down and that the wait staff is the pitts. You would think that being said and with personal tipping that they would be working harder for their good tips. It seems they just do not care how they treat the customers and figure all of us are going to at least give the 18%. I am sure that when we go again for our second trip that I will only give 15% if they treat me like some of the stories I have read. In this economy they should be glad that they have a job and that people can even afford to tip that much with the high cost of Disney food. I have never paid such prices even in the finest restaurants where I live. I cannot name one meal that is worth $22.00 anywhere on the properties. Not even Las Vegas Buffets charge as much for their foods. But when you are in the world and having a good time and the dinning plan has been paid for in advance it sure helps when it comes time to get up from that table not to think how much you just paid for what you recieved. Its Disney after all. But the wait staff better wake up...

Mr.EPCOT

Tony's is a little disappointing, not too bad. There's nothing special about breakfast at 'Ohana, which seems silly since dinner there is so amazing. Boma was definitely disappointing after I heard everyone simply rave about it. But I would have to say the most disappointing restaurant at Walt Disney World is Sci-Fi. It's such a cool restaurant concept and the food is just so terrible. It's also a shame that they used to give you popcorn before your meal, and they don't seem to do that anymore. I haven't gone since 2002, so maybe I'll go again in the near future, but it sure hasn't sounded like the food has improved there any.

yankspy

I was reading here about all the worst foods and can see a pattern here. Since the new dinnig plan without the apps and the now having to tip... seems as though the food has gone down and that the wait staff is the pitts. You would think that being said and with personal tipping that they would be working harder for their good tips. It seems they just do not care how they treat the customers and figure all of us are going to at least give the 18%. I am sure that when we go again for our second trip that I will only give 15% if they treat me like some of the stories I have read. In this economy they should be glad that they have a job and that people can even afford to tip that much with the high cost of Disney food. I have never paid such prices even in the finest restaurants where I live. I cannot name one meal that is worth $22.00 anywhere on the properties. Not even Las Vegas Buffets charge as much for their foods. But when you are in the world and having a good time and the dinning plan has been paid for in advance it sure helps when it comes time to get up from that table not to think how much you just paid for what you recieved. Its Disney after all. But the wait staff better wake up...
I have to say that of all the over priced things in disney, food is not generally one of them. 22.00$ for a meal is not that expensive. In big cities it is a relatively cheap meal. There are a few pricey ones, such as Cali Grill, Artist Point, etc. If anything, I would say the snacks and sodas are a little high but they are still cheaper than food at a ball game. Comparing them to Vegas buffets is a little unfair because they probably lose money on those. However, it does not matter because they are raping you at the the slots and tables.

wdwfan100

We ate at the clam bake at the Cape May Cafe. Everything was good except the shrimp was very over cooked. Like I said though, everything else was very good.

Phonedave

I have never eaten at San Angel Inn, but now I may have to, just to see for myself.

I took a look at the menu, and it looks good to me. Any place that has chicken mole is off to a good start.

But where it the Tres Leches, you would think they would have that. I mean it's not "old world" Mexican, it by definition had to have been invented after canned milk was, but it's still part of the culture.

-dave

I've read most of this thread and I have to add my own thoughts...

San Angel Inn- I personally really like it there. I think it has a unique taste. Unfort, there isn't much food I like there, but everything I've had was good. The only thing I've noticed is that we always order chips and salsa, and sometimes they're really good- warm and delicious, but other times (only a few, though) they were like chips out a bag.

Coral Reef- I love it there, though they took off my favorite item on the menu, but I'm sure I'll find something I like as much.

Hollywood Brown Derby- Everyone I was with hated there meal- everything was overcooked!

One place that really made me sad was the Leaning Palms at TL. I was there 2 years ago and my burger was so delicious and moist, but I was there last year and everything was dry. I don't know if it's just a one time thing or not?

Basically I've noticed (as we all have) that the menus are decreasing because of the DDC and I find it terrible how they're taking out originality in each place by standardizing some food so it's easier for them. Like the kid's meals- they used to be different, but now it's the same *$##$*##*#&* (use your imagination) everywhere!

About the prices, Disney is expensive, but not as much as some people are saying. $22.00 isn't much for a meal and dessert- just near where I live in a small sub-urban town there's a place where it's around $45 per person, never mind New York City, prices there are insane.

Anyways, I'm done with my rant (for now) *insert evil cackle*

piratetreasure

As indicated in my previous post, I agree. It's only open seasonally. I don't know if that's a reason for the extremely poor quality. Like I said, I'm pretty sure the chicken was flaked chicken from a tin. In no way did it resemble real Asian food, or even fake Asian food. The fare at Anandupur Local Food Cafes was magical by comparison. Strange.
Yeah. I swore to good I was gonna throw up when I tasted the food there.

AEfx

The worst meal I ever had on property was at Garden Grille, and after waiting 20+ years to go there, it was especially disapointing.

I am not picky when it comes to food. I like meat and potatoes, which is what they have there. I loved the atmosphere, but the food, and service, was literally the worst I ever got in any restaurant everywhere.

The meat is served half cooked, I don't mind rare meat but several people with us did so we asked for some a little more well done. The next plate came out bloddy - after sitting for several minutes because no one (even I who like rare) wouldn't touch it, it began to congeal.

Everything was late, everything was cold, even the bread wasn't very good. For well over 100 bucks for four people I never felt so ripped off ever in my life.

With that exception, and one really awful burger at the ABC Commisary, my eating experiences at WDW have always been stellar. I really am easy to please when it comes to food, as long as it's not all froo-froo'd up.

AEfx

AEfx

I have to say that of all the over priced things in disney, food is not generally one of them. 22.00$ for a meal is not that expensive. In big cities it is a relatively cheap meal.

Yeah, it just depends on where you are from. I've always found food prices at Disney pretty reasonable, comparatively. There is a lunch truck down the road from my house, a double cheesburger and fries is $7, about the same you'd find at Disney. A large drink is $2.39, which is the same a large drink costs at my local McDonalds (and much less than at a movie theater, sporting event, etc.) and a bottle of water in a local 7-11 is a buck fifty, and it's $2 at WDW.

With food prices going up everywhere over the last year or two, Disney's food prices have remained relatively stable, at least where I go.

AEfx

wdwmomof3

My children say that their worst meal was the chicken fingers at Planet Hollywood, and my kids LOVE chicken fingers. They wouldn't eat it at all so I tried it and yuck. My DH had something that he didn't care for either so we have not been back.

shmmrname

Love, love, love Marrakesh.

One terrible experience in Italy and downstairs in France. BUT, by no means would I not try them again. Maybe it was my fault for being so adventurous when ordering, or it could've been just an off-day.

Erin_Akey

We used to love the Crystal Palace, but the last three times we had very mediocre food and trouble seeing the characters.

Hollywood and Vine was pretty disappointing as well. We did the dinner/fantasmic combo and had never eaten there before this past October. When we go back this Christmas, we will eat at Brown Derby with Fantasmic instead.

Other than that, we have never had a bad experience. Le Celleier and Boma seem to be our favorites along with the Hoop de Doo.

tasha99

I've always been underwhelmed by Disney food, though I think the low point was Goods to Go at OKW. Strangely, my favorite restaurant is the SciFi Dine-In. I just get a sandwhich or a burger and shake--simple food in a great atmosphere.

High points for me were the flatbreads at Jiko and chicken wings at Olivia's. And the Bread Pudding at Ohana and Raglan Road.

Disney_Belle

I have tried many restaurants in WDW, but the two that I have left a not so good impression on me were:

The Garden Grill (The atmosphere is nice and the characters are adorable, but the food - not so much).

Sci-Fi Diner - For some reason I think it is hyped up over the theming (again which is a good atmosphere) but the 2 times I have been the food wasn't too pleasant.

PSUNTNYLION

Worst meals...... Coral Reef!! Not worth the wait, bland food. Also, horrible service at Yak and Yeti (but food was good).
Best meal.... Chefs de France, Biergarten in Germany, and of course Narcoosees.

TowerOfTerror

Captain Cooks Tonga toast. It was way too oily for my tasting. I had it before several times upstairs in The Kona Cafe and it was great every time there. I have yet to retry the Tonga toast there. The other times I ate lunch and breakfasts at Captain Cooks were pretty good. I guess it might have been a bad batch. :shrug:

DisneyGigi

My children say that their worst meal was the chicken fingers at Planet Hollywood, and my kids LOVE chicken fingers. They wouldn't eat it at all so I tried it and yuck. My DH had something that he didn't care for either so we have not been back.

I forgot about Planet Hollywood... tried it once and never went back either. We always throw our vouchers away. :hurl:

*edit to add.. I am really surprised about the Garden Grill, we have it booked for September. Either way though DD loves Chip & Dale so I am sure she won't be complaining.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom