Most Disappointing Meal in WDW?

KingStefan

...I am really surprised about the Garden Grill, we have it booked for September. Either way though DD loves Chip & Dale so I am sure she won't be complaining.

I didn't care for it either. It wasn't bad food or anything, though. In keeping with the theme of the pavillion, it was good, plain, healthy food. But I like highly spiced things, and I like my meat nicely marbled and cooked very rare. My meat was OK, but it was a bit overdone for my taste and very lean.

The characters were great, and spent a lot of time with us. The service wasn't bad per se, but the meal went along, let's say, at a VERY relaxed pace. Normally, this is what we prefer, but at this particular time, we were trying to make a show at the American Pavillion theater, and we didn't want to get stuck in Tapestry of Nations (that gives you an idea of how long ago it was - IRRC, the show featured Michael Flatley and the Riverdance cast).

So, although my experience was a long time ago, it jives with what I see in this and other threads about the Garden Grill. I think that you will have a great time there if you go knowing what to expect: good, plain, healthy food, and a relaxed-pace service. Don't expect anything too spiced up or fatty or dripping with butter, and don't be in a rush to get out of there. Relax and enjoy the characters. Good luck.

jemlover

My DH and I both got queasy after eating the fish at Yorkshire County Fish Shop. If you want good fish from a CS restaurant try Cooke's of Dublin on Pleasure Island. We both loved it!

texasteacher

My family was really excited to eat at the San Angel in Epcot. I'd wanted to eat there for years. It wasn't really what any of us expected, and despite rave reviews from other people, it didn't click with us.

I loved the environment, but was just disappointed with the menu options.

I agree with San Angel Inn. Texans love their Mexican food and we like it very spicy! I found the food at San Angel to be bland. Maybe it is what I ordered. I may try it again just to be sure.
That has been the only place in WDW that I have been disappointed with in 11 trips!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I agree with San Angel Inn. Texans love their Mexican food and we like it very spicy! I found the food at San Angel to be bland. Maybe it is what I ordered. I may try it again just to be sure.
That has been the only place in WDW that I have been disappointed with in 11 trips!

While not bland the trouble with much of the food at Disney is that its made to suit people who find chicken tenders exotic if they have BBQ sauce on them.

My DW and I have eaten at almost every table service restaurant over the last 7 years. We have not eaten at V&A and CRT among a few others. I am also frustrated with the standardization and simplification of the menus but I will say we have our favorites and there are only a few restaurants we will not return to. That being said

Top Five
1a. California Grill
1b. Narcoossee’s
  • Artist Point
  • Whispering Canyon (Breakfast)
  • Boma (Breakfast)

Bottom Three
  • Hollywood & Vine
  • Cape May
  • Tony’s Town Square

A few side notes…

My bottom three is not based on preparation errors, lackluster service, or ambiance. It is based on the lack of options, lack of complex flavors, and lack of originality in the entrees.

We loved San Angel Inn. Great Food. It is not the spicy Tex-Mex I enjoyed while living in San Antonio, but there is a sophistication to the food and I agree that there is a subtly to the taste.

If your standard is Taco Bell you will not like the food at SAI and if that is truly the standard you uphold you may want to ask a CM at AK for some leftover dung I am sure there is some lying around for your demanding palette.

shoppingnut

This last trip I was very disappointed in the Brown Derby, they no longer have filet mignon, just some ordinary steak that was so-so. I've had better at long horn and for less money.

disneydiva72

I have to say all restaurants in WDW that claim to be "Italian restaurants"....I'm a New York Italian, not even close people!

Rain Forest cafe.... the ABSOLUTE worst!

The Pop century food court, the breakfast was horrible! (powdered eggs, undercooked bacon, and dry biscuits)

wdwmomof3

Don't waste your time and money. We "tried it" three times and each time it was worse than before. We have learned our lesson, and we love Mexican food, their food is just bland, and the service was just as bad. I hate it because it's a cool place to see.

KingStefan

Don't waste your time and money. We "tried it" three times and each time it was worse than before. We have learned our lesson, and we love Mexican food, their food is just bland, and the service was just as bad. I hate it because it's a cool place to see.

Sorry for your bad luck. We love Mexican food, too, and we love the San Angel Inn. Only certain types of Mexican food is "spicy", meaning spicy in a hot-tangy-salsa peppers and celantro way. We have found the food at SAI to be complex and subtle. I do admit that it is a bit bland for my taste as well, but that is true for most foods at WDW compared with their authentic counterpart.

After discussing SAI with those who do not like it, invariably I find that they like Mexican foods that are full of salsa-like taste, hot onions and peppers. This is a very good style of Mexican food that comes from the Texas border and is generally referred to as Tex-Mex. We like it, too. However, if you expect SAI food to taste like that you are going to be very dissapointed, so I recommend that as wdwmomof3 said, don't waste your time and money.

However, if you are open to new things, and think you might like Mexican food that is not very spicy, but has a more subtle complexity, then I would suggest trying SAI.

Everytime we go there, the service is fine. The pace is relaxed, so if you are in a hurry, please skip this one. I've heard reports of people getting bad service, but don't always know the specifics. We always plan on spending about an hour or more eating there, depending on the courses we have. That is the pacing of this place. We have always gotten the right food, and special requests have always been honored. Perhaps we are just lucky.

yankspy

This last trip I was very disappointed in the Brown Derby, they no longer have filet mignon, just some ordinary steak that was so-so. I've had better at long horn and for less money.
What did you expect, Peter Luger's.:lol:
I have to say all restaurants in WDW that claim to be "Italian restaurants"....I'm a New York Italian, not even close people!

Rain Forest cafe.... the ABSOLUTE worst!

The Pop century food court, the breakfast was horrible! (powdered eggs, undercooked bacon, and dry biscuits)
In all fairness you really cannot expect that type of food in WDW. As a fellow N.Y. Italian, I never expect Grandma's lasagna or Cannoli's anywhere outside of N.Y. That kind of stuff is expensive and very labor intensive.
I could say that about any steak Ive had on property.
The steaks on property are decent but I am not sure if a proper high end steakhouse would do well there. You have to pay some good money for Prime or Kobe in the first place. I am sure Disney would charge even more. Is the average tourist going to pay $50 and up for a steak?

Dwarful

If we do Italian restaurants at WDW we never order the pastas. Simply because the regions of Italy vary and so do the tastes. My girls love to get spaghetti at a local spot on "The Hill" in St.Louis. The first trip to Tony's we couldn't talk them out of the spaghetti. They hated it. They love the atmosphere of Tonys just not the pastas!

Daddymouse

Went to Flying Fish late one night. Adult meals were nothing special but DS and DD had overpriced PBJ ond dried crusty bread (not acceptable). DW's parents went back last year and said it was the best meal they had. Personally I think that if you eat at WDW enough you will have a bad meal or experience at some point.

kverdon

Boy this is tough, so many different oppinions. Some people really don't like San Angel and we love it. Like many folks have said ANY place can have a bad night.

Here is our list:

Worst meal ever: Tony's - we ate there once and never again. It seems to get the worst reviews.

Most Overpriced: CRT - The meal we had there was at best so-so but was VERY expensive.

Most recent bad meal: Just to prove that any place can have an off night - La Cellier was our worst meal when were where at WDW last year. The cheese soup was stone cold and congealed. The rest of our meal was real ok as well. To top it off the bottle of wine we ordered was corked and she had to bring another bottle. All the other times we've eaten there it has been very good.

Kevin and Mona

YodaGirl

The worst place I have ever eaten is the Lotus Blossum Cafe in the China Pavillion. It was disgusting, and made DH and I both sick.

I've heard that it's been refurbed since then (April '06), so maybe it's better? :shrug:

Kandi

I liked Tony's:lookaroun maybe it was because the chef came out and spoke to me about my food allergys (Wheat and Cheese) and he made me some semolina bread rolls and wheat free spagetti bolanase. It made me feel so special as i normally have to go without and watch other family members eat yummy food

sarabi

I've not been back to CRT since my bad experience with them 10 or so years ago. Rubbery scallops. Need I say more? Chewy, rubbery scallops. Blech.

CBug88

I like most of the food at San Angel Inn (I've never really had a bad meal in Disney World for that matter--or I am not really picky - I dont know which):shrug:
But Chevy's, I've got to agree, good stuff!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom