Monstropolis Coming to DHS?

kap91

OK, it's popped up in another thread now too. So I just need to lay this question down somewhere, and this is the better place.

Why does *everyone* seem to be enthrawled by the idea of a Monsters Inc. land above any other option - it just keeps surfacing again and again. I don't get the fascination, nor the fit for that location of this concept over any other ideas - particularly because going too vertical to make a city here would destroy some careful sight lines.

I've seen Monsters Inc. once - meh.
Skipped Monsters U because meh.
Rode Mike & Sulley in DCA once - meh.
I've not been into MILF but once when I was a kid because - meh.

I get different strokes and all, but I just don't understand the single minded fixation on this particular option over any others, aside from maybe that they could clone Hide and Go Seek. From what I've seen it's an impressive ride, but seems redundant so close to TSMM.

Up, Zootopia, & Inside Out all out-grossed them both, and this footprint seems just as usable for any of those worlds as well (though not as much Zootopia because of the vertical issues too). Roger Rabbit - which I know has Amblin issues - would be just as good a fit for the area and has another off-the-shelf ride to clone and save cash to boot.

I just don't get it. Can someone explain some of the mystique?
I mean I think for a long time the rumor just made so much sense as a way to transform the Streets of America into something really cool. And the idea has just stuck around since then.

Last edited:

JohnyKaz2078

I mean I think for a long time the rumor just maid so much sense as a way to transform the Streets of America into something really cool. And the idea has just stuck around since.

How could the Streets of America be transformed to incorporate Monsters.Inc?

JohnyKaz2078

Imagine the Streets of America but themed to Monster Inc.

Like the Monstropolis or the area of Monsters University? Nah. It would need a lot of work and the Streets of America took a lot of space to be dedicated to a single movie. And I can't see anything that Monsters.Inc and the old Studio Tram Tour have in common.

kap91

How could the Streets of America be transformed to incorporate Monsters.Inc?
Not anymore, obviously but back in the day it was a pretty easy mental jump to make between the dense cityscapes of those streets and Monstropolis - with the shops and such filled out into real places you could enter. Easy to imagine the removal of the HISTK playground and backlot express for the Monsters Inc building etc. Not entirely sure that was ever the plan, the coaster was going to go next to Midway mania if I recall, I'm just speculating as to why the idea had a lot of resonance.

JohnyKaz2078

Not anymore, obviously but back in the day it was a pretty easy mental jump to make between the dense cityscapes of those streets and Monstropolis - with the shops and such filled out into real places you could enter. Easy to imagine the removal of the HISTK playground and backlot express for the Monsters Inc building etc. Not entirely sure that was ever the plan, the coaster was going to go next to Midway mania if I recall, I'm just speculating as to why the idea had a lot of resonance.

Ok, but I mean it wouldn't make a lot of sense to dedicate an area of this size to a movie that hasn't proven to be very popular. The idea though, of walking through the Monstropolis is kinda cool I have to say ;)

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Like the Monstropolis or the area of Monsters University? Nah. It would need a lot of work and the Streets of America took a lot of space to be dedicated to a single movie. And I can't see anything that Monsters.Inc and the old Studio Tram Tour have in common.

I assume they would essentially use what's there: Brighten the colors a little. Exaggerate or simplify select architectural features. Replace storefront signage. '60s era modernist designs. Subtle prop placement (maybe a TV repair store showing clips) a newspaper stands, monster-crossing sign, etc. and possibly a looming MI building facade in the distance. I suppose it should be an understated themed area, mostly generic in appearance but with subtle additions and sight gags making everyday city life a little more "monstrous" than it seems at first glace. Obviously a lot of stuff would need to go. But for the most part, I'd think much of the area could be simple overlay. Not that it matters.

Last edited:

kap91

Ok, but I mean it wouldn't make a lot of sense to dedicate an area of this size to a movie that hasn't proven to be very popular. The idea though, of walking through the Monstropolis is kinda cool I have to say

The two movies together have grossed $1.3 Billion dollars. Not exactly unpopular. Also the other properties you mention did not exist when the rumor first started and people have been attached to it since. Monstropolis is a really interesting world with aspirational experiences baked in. And the area is about the size of a normal land these days.

Granted what I would really have liked to see would have been a Pixar Studios amalgamation land incorporating TSMM, Monstropolis, and a few other Pixar movies into a Pixar world - perhaps as if the studio was coming to life or all the films took place in the same universe: like Fantasyland or the new port coming to Disney Sea. But that whole dividing DHS into different "studio" lands: lucas land, pixar land, disney, abc, etc was always a bit of a pipe dream.

JohnyKaz2078

The two movies together have grossed $1.3 Billion dollars. Not exactly unpopular. Also the other properties you mention did not exist when the rumor first started and people have been attached to it since. Monstropolis is a really interesting world with aspirational experiences baked in. And the area is about the size of a normal land these days.

Granted what I would really have liked to see would have been a Pixar Studios amalgamation land incorporating TSMM, Monstropolis, and a few other Pixar movies into a Pixar world - perhaps as if the studio was coming to life or all the films took place in the same universe: like Fantasyland or the new port coming to Disney Sea. But that whole dividing DHS into different "studio" lands: lucas land, pixar land, disney, abc, etc was always a bit of a pipe dream.

Agreed. I don't know exactly though when the rumor started. If it had started when Monsters.Inc was released (aka 2001) it wouldn't have been a bad idea. But if it had started when Monster's University was released (aka 2013) it wouldn't have made much sense. And compared to the other Pixar franchises it isn't as popular:

Finding Nemo-Dory: $1.9 billion
Toy Story 1-2-3: $1.9 billion
Cars 1-2-3: $1.7 billion
Incredibles 1-2: have already crossed $900 million and will surely surpass $1.3 billion

So, compared to other pixar franchises it isn't very popular. I would prefer the idea of a pixar "fantasyland" in the Streets of America rather than an entire land devoted to Monsters Inc.

pdude81

Agreed. I don't know exactly though when the rumor started. If it had started when Monsters.Inc was released (aka 2001) it wouldn't have been a bad idea. But if it had started when Monster's University was released (aka 2013) it wouldn't have made much sense. And compared to the other Pixar franchises it isn't as popular:

Finding Nemo-Dory: $1.9 billion
Toy Story 1-2-3: $1.9 billion
Cars 1-2-3: $1.7 billion
Incredibles 1-2: have already crossed $900 million and will surely surpass $1.3 billion

So, compared to other pixar franchises it isn't very popular. I would prefer the idea of a pixar "fantasyland" in the Streets of America rather than an entire land devoted to Monsters Inc.

So we are comparing franchises with different numbers of films over decades without indexing for inflation or even comparing the numbers to the other top movies of that year? Does that mean the Incredibles will be more popular than the Lion King franchise and Toy Story when all is said and done? I think it's a lot more complicated than that, but even under the financial standard if you compare the Monsters movies to the other things that came out in a given year they did just fine

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom