Monstropolis Coming to DHS?

PizzaPlanet

Plus remember we could’ve gotten the MI Coaster and a version of Radiator Springs Racers. Now that would have been impressive.
Is this the version of the DHS makeover that would have included the cheaper, Echo Lake version of SWL instead? If so then I guess it's a tradeoff for what we're getting now.

Timothy_Q

Why does *everyone* seem to be enthrawled by the idea of a Monsters Inc. land above any other option - it just keeps surfacing again and again. I don't get the fascination, nor the fit for that location of this concept over any other ideas - particularly because going too vertical to make a city here would destroy some careful sight lines.
Monstropolis is not a high-rise city.
It's mostly 4-story buildings

Robbiem

OK, it's popped up in another thread now too. So I just need to lay this question down somewhere, and this is the better place.

Why does *everyone* seem to be enthrawled by the idea of a Monsters Inc. land above any other option - it just keeps surfacing again and again. I don't get the fascination, nor the fit for that location of this concept over any other ideas - particularly because going too vertical to make a city here would destroy some careful sight lines.

I've seen Monsters Inc. once - meh.
Skipped Monsters U because meh.
Rode Mike & Sulley in DCA once - meh.
I've not been into MILF but once when I was a kid because - meh.

I get different strokes and all, but I just don't understand the single minded fixation on this particular option over any others, aside from maybe that they could clone Hide and Go Seek. From what I've seen it's an impressive ride, but seems redundant so close to TSMM.

Up, Zootopia, & Inside Out all out-grossed them both, and this footprint seems just as usable for any of those worlds as well (though not as much Zootopia because of the vertical issues too). Roger Rabbit - which I know has Amblin issues - would be just as good a fit for the area and has another off-the-shelf ride to clone and save cash to boot.

I just don't get it. Can someone explain some of the mystique?

I think it’s because of the movies visuals, the movie creates an entire alternative world which a lot of people would want to visit. A movie like up is great but im not sure how you could translate it in to a theme park land, a standalone ride maybe but a land, im not so sure. I agree that roger rabbit has the same appeal with toontown and nightmare before Christmas is another movie which could create a world of its own

TP2000

That's not true. Disneyland does not have more rides than all of WDW.

Disneyland Resort's two parks currently have 7 more rides than Walt Disney World's four parks, but in three weeks when Toy Story Land opens at DHS that will shrink to 5 more rides than Walt Disney World. (I included Carousel of Progress as a WDW "ride" instead of a show since the theater revolves)

Walt Disney World, June 30th 2019 = 50 Rides

Magic Kingdom = 25 Rides (Railroad, Main Street Vehicles, Horse Drawn Streetcar, Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Rafts to Tom Sawyer Island, Liberty Belle Riverboat, it's a small world, Peter Pan's Flight, Winnie The Pooh, The Little Mermaid, Snow White Mine Train, Teacups, Carousel, Dumbo, Goofy Coaster, Speedway, Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear, Astro Orbiter, PeopleMover, Carousel of Progress)

Epcot = 10 Rides (Spaceship Earth, Mission Space, Test Track, Journey Into Imagination, Listen To The Land, Soarin', The Living Seas Nemo dark ride to Seabase Alpha, Gran Fiesta Tour, Frozen Ever After, Friendship Boats)

Disney's Hollywood Studios = 6 Rides (Star Tours, Tower of Terror, Rock n' Roller Coaster, Midway Mania, Alien Saucer Swirl, Slinky Dog Coaster)

Disney's Animal Kingdom = 9 Rides (Kilimanjaro Safari, Everest, Kali River Rapids, Dinosaur, Triceratops Spin, Primeval Whirl, Train to Conservation Station, Flight of Passage, Navi River Journey)

Disneyland Resort, June 2019 = 55 Rides

Disneyland Park = 34 Rides (Railroad, Main Street Vehicles, Horse Drawn Streetcar, Jungle Cruise, Indiana Jones Adventure, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Winnie The Pooh, Explorer Canoes, Rafts to Pirates Lair, Sailing Ship Columbia, Mark Twain Riverboat, Big Thunder Mountain, Pinocchio's Daring Journey, Snow White's Scary Adventures, Peter Pan's Flight, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Alice In Wonderland, Casey Jr. Circus Train, Storybook Land Canal Boats, Teacups, Carousel, Dumbo, it's a small world, Matterhorn Bobsleds, Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, Gadget's Go Coaster, Submarine Voyage, Autopia, Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear, Star Tours, Astro Orbiter)

Disney California Adventure = 21 Rides (Red Car Trolley, Monsters Inc., Guardians of the Galaxy, Francis Ladybug Boogie, Flik's Flyers, Drive 'Em Buggies, Heimlich's Chew Chew Train, Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters, Radiator Springs Racers, Maters' Junkyard Jamboree, Incredicoaster, Carousel, Midway Mania, Pixar Fun Wheel, Silly Symphony Swings, Goofy's Sky School, Jumpin' Jellyfish, Golden Zephyr, The Little Mermaid, Grizzly River Run, Soarin')

Dutch Inn '76

Disneyland Resort's two parks currently have 7 more rides than Walt Disney World's four parks, but in three weeks when Toy Story Land opens at DHS that will shrink to 5 more rides than Walt Disney World. (I included Carousel of Progress as a WDW "ride" instead of a show since the theater revolves)

I'm not going to get down into the weeds to verify your numbers, but the original claim was on DISNEYLAND vs. all of WDW - not all of Disney at Anaheim vs. all of WDW. So you've changed the parameters.

TP2000

I'm not going to get down into the weeds to verify your numbers, but the original claim was on DISNEYLAND vs. all of WDW - not all of Disney at Anaheim vs. all of WDW. So you've changed the parameters.

Oh, I apologize. The thread here was talking about rides at all parks on both coasts, WDW compared to DLR. I assumed you meant both Disneyland Park and DCA.

The count specifically for Disneyland Park, not counting DCA 100 yards to the south, is 34 Rides.
(Railroad, Main Street Vehicles, Horse Drawn Streetcar, Jungle Cruise, Indiana Jones Adventure, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Winnie The Pooh, Explorer Canoes, Rafts to Pirates Lair, Sailing Ship Columbia, Mark Twain Riverboat, Big Thunder Mountain, Pinocchio's Daring Journey, Snow White's Scary Adventures, Peter Pan's Flight, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Alice In Wonderland, Casey Jr. Circus Train, Storybook Land Canal Boats, Teacups, Carousel, Dumbo, it's a small world, Matterhorn Bobsleds, Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, Gadget's Go Coaster, Submarine Voyage, Autopia, Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear, Star Tours, Astro Orbiter)

Technically the Monorail at Disneyland Park is a Ride, but I have left it off the list here and will just consider it as Resort transportation.

That would compare to the Magic Kingdom Park total of 25 Rides.
(Railroad, Main Street Vehicles, Horse Drawn Streetcar, Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Rafts to Tom Sawyer Island, Liberty Belle Riverboat, it's a small world, Peter Pan's Flight, Winnie The Pooh, The Little Mermaid, Snow White Mine Train, Teacups, Carousel, Dumbo, Goofy Coaster, Speedway, Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear, Astro Orbiter, PeopleMover, Carousel of Progress)

Or 50 Rides for all four WDW theme parks combined (including the two all-new rides opening in three weeks at DHS).

Last edited:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Voyage Little Mermaid becomes Monster's Laugh Floor
Parking Lot and pad behind Voyage becomes the infamous Door Coaster
One Man's Dream becomes Monster's Ride and Go Seek

Actually, is there even space for all that or is my armchair spit-balling off scale?

FWIW, I do think Monstropolis would still have considerable draw and value within DHS. Still, it's only a gain of 1 more ride.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Magic Kingdom = 25 Rides (Railroad, Main Street Vehicles, Horse Drawn Streetcar, Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Rafts to Tom Sawyer Island, Liberty Belle Riverboat, it's a small world, Peter Pan's Flight, Winnie The Pooh, The Little Mermaid, Snow White Mine Train, Teacups, Carousel, Dumbo, Goofy Coaster, Speedway, Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear, Astro Orbiter, PeopleMover, Carousel of Progress)

Epcot = 10 Rides (Spaceship Earth, Mission Space, Test Track, Journey Into Imagination, Listen To The Land, Soarin', The Living Seas Nemo dark ride to Seabase Alpha, Gran Fiesta Tour, Frozen Ever After, Friendship Boats)

Disney's Hollywood Studios = 6 Rides (Star Tours, Tower of Terror, Rock n' Roller Coaster, Midway Mania, Alien Saucer Swirl, Slinky Dog Coaster)

Disney's Animal Kingdom = 9 Rides (Kilimanjaro Safari, Everest, Kali River Rapids, Dinosaur, Triceratops Spin, Primeval Whirl, Train to Conservation Station, Flight of Passage, Navi River Journey)

Disneyland Resort, June 2019 = 55 Rides

Disneyland Park = 34 Rides (Railroad, Main Street Vehicles, Horse Drawn Streetcar, Jungle Cruise, Indiana Jones Adventure, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Winnie The Pooh, Explorer Canoes, Rafts to Pirates Lair, Sailing Ship Columbia, Mark Twain Riverboat, Big Thunder Mountain, Pinocchio's Daring Journey, Snow White's Scary Adventures, Peter Pan's Flight, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Alice In Wonderland, Casey Jr. Circus Train, Storybook Land Canal Boats, Teacups, Carousel, Dumbo, it's a small world, Matterhorn Bobsleds, Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, Gadget's Go Coaster, Submarine Voyage, Autopia, Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear, Star Tours, Astro Orbiter)

Disney California Adventure = 21 Rides (Red Car Trolley, Monsters Inc., Guardians of the Galaxy, Francis Ladybug Boogie, Flik's Flyers, Drive 'Em Buggies, Heimlich's Chew Chew Train, Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters, Radiator Springs Racers, Maters' Junkyard Jamboree, Incredicoaster, Carousel, Midway Mania, Pixar Fun Wheel, Silly Symphony Swings, Goofy's Sky School, Jumpin' Jellyfish, Golden Zephyr, The Little Mermaid, Grizzly River Run, Soarin')

Not sorry for being pedantic... ;) ....

The four rides in DCA that were part of Bug's Land are gone (Cups, Train, Bumpers, Swings). Although, Flik Flyers is supposed to come back to Pixar Pier in the form of an Inside Out ride. That brings the Anaheim ride count from 55 down to 51.

And you missed the Aladdin Carpets ("well, I wouldn't say I *missed them*"). That brings Orlando to 51 rides. They're both the same! Even if you had monorails in, that's plus one for both cities.

I made a chart (of course). It categorizes the rides into types: boat v. vehicle; fast v. slow; dark v. outside; simulators, spinners, transportation. It gives a good idea what types of rides are missing from each park, and if there's any parks which have way, way, way too many of the same type of ride, e.g., a slow moving dark ride vehicle...

uE685aT.png

SuperStretccch

The four rides in DCA that were part of Bug's Land are gone (Cups, Train, Bumpers, Swings). Although, Flik Flyers is supposed to come back to Pixar Pier in the form of an Inside Out ride. That brings the Anaheim ride count from 55 down to 51.

And you missed the Aladdin Carpets ("well, I wouldn't say I *missed them*"). That brings Orlando to 51 rides. They're both the same! Even if you had monorails in, that's plus one for both cities.

I made a chart (of course). It categorizes the rides into types: boat v. vehicle; fast v. slow; dark v. outside; simulators, spinners, transportation. It gives a good idea what types of rides are missing from each park, and if there's any parks which have way, way, way too many of the same type of ride, e.g., a slow moving dark ride vehicle...

uE685aT.png

Mission Space doesn't count as a simulator? Is there something that differentiates it?

TeriofTerror

OK, it's popped up in another thread now too. So I just need to lay this question down somewhere, and this is the better place.

I've seen Monsters Inc. once - meh.
Skipped Monsters U because meh.
Rode Mike & Sulley in DCA once - meh.
I've not been into MILF but once when I was a kid because - meh.

I get different strokes and all, but I just don't understand the single minded fixation on this particular option over any others, aside from maybe that they could clone Hide and Go Seek. From what I've seen it's an impressive ride, but seems redundant so close to TSMM.

Up, Zootopia, & Inside Out all out-grossed them both, and this footprint seems just as usable for any of those worlds as well (though not as much Zootopia because of the vertical issues too). Roger Rabbit - which I know has Amblin issues - would be just as good a fit for the area and has another off-the-shelf ride to clone and save cash to boot.

I just don't get it. Can someone explain some of the mystique?
Because from the first time I saw the scene with all of the doors flying by, I desperately wanted that to be a ride.

TP2000

uE685aT.png

Oh my gosh, I'm so jealous of your chart! I love it! And how could I forget the WDW Aladdin spinner?!?

I have not removed the four Flik's Fun Fair rides because they have not yet closed, although the strong rumor is that they will close this fall. But with Disney, you can't count on something being official until the bulldozers move in. Sometimes even after a splashy D23 Expo reveal and after the bulldozers move in, stuff still gets cancelled; Main Street Theater, Disneyland Eastern Gateway, etc.

So for now, I've left the four Flik's Fun Fair attractions on the list as they continue to operate daily at DCA. But seriously, about that chart... Love it!

So as of today, June 9th 2018 the ride tally is currently;

Walt Disney World = 51 Rides
Disneyland Resort = 55 Rides

On June 30th 2018, when Toy Story Land opens, the ride tally will be

Walt Disney World = 53 Rides
Disneyland Resort = 55 Rides

But assuming the bulldozers do actually arrive this fall in A Bug's Land, and the four currently operating Fun Fair attractions close without replacements for at least two years, on October 1st 2018 the ride tally could potentially be

Walt Disney World = 53 Rides
Disneyland Resort = 51 Rides

Last edited:

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Because from the first time I saw the scene with all of the doors flying by, I desperately wanted that to be a ride.
Yup. Hubby and I walked out of the theatre that night saying, “Those flying doors would make a great Disney ride!” It would be another two years before we took the boys to WDW, so they just nodded their heads like they knew what we were talking about.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Mission Space doesn't count as a simulator? Is there something that differentiates it?

Hmmm.. I keep going back and forth in my mind over that. Certainly Green would be a simulator. But Orange isn't simulating extra Gs, it's actually creating them. OTOH, when the extra Gs suddenly stop, that simulates zero Gs...

FoP simulates a large drop with only about two feet of actual motion. If you closed your eyes and sat upright, you could ride the small ups and downs while drinking a cup of tea and not spill a drop. Orange, OTOH, can physically mess you up.

If the ride was just a centrifuge, that would be just a ride in and of itself without the simulation. If Soarin' was just bench seating that gently swayed a foot or two without the screen... I don't think anyone would call that a 'ride'.

So, in the end, like classifying what is a planet or not (sorry, Pluto), there are edge cases and hybrids.

For the next iteration of the chart, I'll move it to simulator. Especially since Green is all simulation.

Next question: Should Green and Orange be counted as two different rides?

britain

Next question: Should Green and Orange be counted as two different rides?
Only if you count right/left sides of Space Mt or Matterhorn as two different rides. Or maybe a better example would be the two different rope trails at Shanghai. Different levels of difficulty.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Only if you count right/left sides of Space Mt or Matterhorn as two different rides. Or maybe a better example would be the two different rope trails at Shanghai. Different levels of difficulty.

You're conflating the two different levels that Mission: Space and a Shanghai attraction has with two attractions whose two tracks are only slightly different.

Are you saying that the two tracks of Space Mt. and Matterhorn are significantly different enough to qualify as two separate attractions?

britain

You're conflating the two different levels that Mission: Space and a Shanghai attraction has with two attractions whose two tracks are only slightly different.

Are you saying that the two tracks of Space Mt. and Matterhorn are significantly different enough to qualify as two separate attractions?

Well I wasn't saying that. I was essentially saying since you don't split Space Mt & Matterhorn up, you shouldn't split Orange & Green up. But you bring up a good point: It's not just the intensity difference but the ride film/story. I suppose if we really look at Mission:Space as a pavilion, you could say it houses two similar attractions huh? But I think since it was originally conceived as a singular attraction and it simply has been split in two, you could cite historical intent or something like that to keep them together.

whiterhino42

Still not true. According to their official websites, Disneyland Resort has 90 attractions in the parks, while WDW has 133. If you expand to include resorts and extra activities, WDW's number goes way up from there.
They include things like dino sue as attractions but those are just inanimate objects.

whiterhino42

Being generous on both fronts, I used the filters on their respective websites and eliminated duplicates/overlays as well as ones that I feel most here would not count (individual animals at AK, Kidcot stops, etc.). These figures exclude stage shows:

WDW
- MK: 40
- Epcot: 24
- DHS: 10 (if you include Toy Story Land and Path of the Jedi)
- AK: 15
- Total: 89

DL
- DL: 45
- DCA: 27
- Total: 72
What did you count in epcot? More than I would have I think. The film's and the handful of rides .... what else did you count?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom