Monstropolis Coming to DHS?

YodaMan

Dusting off an old rumor, on the latest episode of Disney Dish with Jim Hill and @lentesta, they discuss that Monstropolis could be coming to DHS and potentially stretch from Walt Disney One: Man's Dream all the way to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster.

I'd like to thank Jim for giving me something to do on a Saturday night, time to update the old rumor mill.

One Man's Dream to RnR for *just* Monstropolis? Sounds a lot like the TSL model of using a crap ton of land and acreage for what might amount to very few new offerings.

doctornick

Well IIRC, insiders here indicated that Monstropolis was the third phase (along with Toy Story and Star Wars) that was planned for DHS which was scuttled when Star Wars was placed in the old SoA space -- which is were Monstropolis was going to go. Also, Monstropolis was strongly considered/planned as an expansion for DCA in the Hollywood Backlot area there before it was apparently passed by Marvel plans.

And we know good ideas never seem to fully die at WDI and often come back in later times. So, it wouldn't exactly be surprising to me if Monstropolis is being considered as a DHS addition, at least in some form. I guess we'll see over time if anyone else can collaborate the rumor.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
Some food for thought. This could be a relatively inexpensive land. The DCA ride is closing so that can be used for parts, add in a relocation of Monster's Inc Laugh Floor and the retheming of an existing coaster and you've got 3 attractions (2 rides) without paying full price for any of them.

clemmo

Some food for thought. This could be a relatively inexpensive land. The DCA ride is closing so that can be used for parts, add in a relocation of Monster's Inc Laugh Floor and the retheming of an existing coaster and you've got 3 attractions (2 rides) without paying full price for any of them.
What's the DCA ride closing for?

roj2323

Dusting off an old rumor, on the latest episode of Disney Dish with Jim Hill and @lentesta, they discuss that Monstropolis could be coming to DHS and potentially stretch from Walt Disney One: Man's Dream all the way to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster.

I'd like to thank Jim for giving me something to do on a Saturday night, time to update the old rumor mill.

When will people realize Jim Hill is full of crap? Even if this is a being talked about it's nothing more than an idea and wouldn't be fleshed out until 2024 or later. To be completely honest I see an expansion to Starwars land being developed before this project would get off the ground.

huwar18

Honestly, I am okay with RRC being replaced with Monsters, Inc. If they are going to fill Hollywood Studios with IPs, I rather have more Pixar and Disney cartoon themed lands. Also, I am not a fan of RRC or Aerosmith. I think it is logical to replace the Aerosmith theme. They are an older rock band. Their popularity will continue to fade throughout the years. I understand the same thing can happen with IPs. However, Disney can easily keep their IPs more relevant than an old band.

huwar18

When will people realize Jim Hill is full of crap? Even if this is a being talked about it's nothing more than an idea and wouldn't be fleshed out until 2024 or later. To be completely honest I see an expansion to Starwars land being developed before this project would get off the ground.

I would believe it if it did not come from Jim Hill.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

If they do go ahead with Monstropolis I hope they don't do it cheaply.

flyerjab

At this time? No.

(Not to mention the logic of putting an IP aimed primarily at children on a ride system with a 48” height restriction)

Something that I have been pondering over since the plans for TSL and SWL were announced was the Star Wars Land Effect (my term :)). At one time, insiders @1023 in particular (whatever happened to him/her?), were hinting at future phases 3 and 4 of the DHS metamorphosis. Now, according to some of @marni1971's posts, any chance of that happening immediately following SWL seems to have been put on hold for the near term.

I think that this might have something to do with how the masses react to SWL. We all are aware of how popular Star Wars is - there is no denying this fact. What will be interesting to see is exactly HOW popular it is in the theme park world. This will be easily observable since DL's version will open before the DHS's version does. This could be unprecedented in terms of popularity. I was surprised to see the amount of people lined up to see Pandora, and that was from a stand-alone film from a decade ago that completely fell out of pop culture. Now take those crowds and multiply them by, oh I don't know, a thousand?

I can only imagine what the crush of people in this expansion will be like. Maybe the hunger for a land like this will be so great that more Star Wars will be ordered. If able to choose between a second Star Wars expansion or a Monstropolis expansion in DHS, I would bet that more people would want a further expanded SWL than Mike and Sully - just my honest opinion. Especially after the rich level of detail and immersion is experienced, including what might be premier ride experiences, my bet is that the average park goers will want more Star Wars.

Is it something that I personally would want? I don't know, as I would really like a well-balanced park, with multiple lands harboring different IPs. However, if another Star Wars area were to be added with details and a ride (or two) equal to what this initial expansion appears to have…well…that could be a harder decision than we all think.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom