Monstropolis Coming to DHS?

whiterhino42

OK, it's popped up in another thread now too. So I just need to lay this question down somewhere, and this is the better place.

Why does *everyone* seem to be enthrawled by the idea of a Monsters Inc. land above any other option - it just keeps surfacing again and again. I don't get the fascination, nor the fit for that location of this concept over any other ideas - particularly because going too vertical to make a city here would destroy some careful sight lines.

I've seen Monsters Inc. once - meh.
Skipped Monsters U because meh.
Rode Mike & Sulley in DCA once - meh.
I've not been into MILF but once when I was a kid because - meh.

I get different strokes and all, but I just don't understand the single minded fixation on this particular option over any others, aside from maybe that they could clone Hide and Go Seek. From what I've seen it's an impressive ride, but seems redundant so close to TSMM.

Up, Zootopia, & Inside Out all out-grossed them both, and this footprint seems just as usable for any of those worlds as well (though not as much Zootopia because of the vertical issues too). Roger Rabbit - which I know has Amblin issues - would be just as good a fit for the area and has another off-the-shelf ride to clone and save cash to boot.

I just don't get it. Can someone explain some of the mystique?
Roger Rabbit? Meh
I know im in the minority but I loved monsters university.
I also LOVE the laugh floor as does everyone I know. I get it doesnt belong in future world but the attraction itself is great IMHO.
I think people bring up this possibility a lot because a. It has more than one film
b. The rumored forever door coaster
c. The fact that other Disney parks have rides based on this franchise.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
Hmmm.. I keep going back and forth in my mind over that. Certainly Green would be a simulator. But Orange isn't simulating extra Gs, it's actually creating them. OTOH, when the extra Gs suddenly stop, that simulates zero Gs...

FoP simulates a large drop with only about two feet of actual motion. If you closed your eyes and sat upright, you could ride the small ups and downs while drinking a cup of tea and not spill a drop. Orange, OTOH, can physically mess you up.

If the ride was just a centrifuge, that would be just a ride in and of itself without the simulation. If Soarin' was just bench seating that gently swayed a foot or two without the screen... I don't think anyone would call that a 'ride'.

So, in the end, like classifying what is a planet or not (sorry, Pluto), there are edge cases and hybrids.

For the next iteration of the chart, I'll move it to simulator. Especially since Green is all simulation.

Next question: Should Green and Orange be counted as two different rides?

Not sure on exact definition but I would think a simulator, at-least in the most basic definition would just be motion or motion seats paired with a video footage.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Not sure on exact definition but I would think a simulator, at-least in the most basic definition would just be motion or motion seats paired with a video footage.

So, you have M:S Green, which is pretty much a simulator. But then you have Orange, which is a ride all by itself, but then it has a simulator built around that. Is that a ride or simulator or both?

What about coasters that have VR headsets? Ride, simulator, both?

BrianLo

Next question: Should Green and Orange be counted as two different rides?

That’s too much of a slippery slope. Arguably if you consider those different there are possibly ?4 fully unique from beginning to end Star Tours videos and profiles. It’s hard to therefore qualify what counts as unique. Matterhorn’s tracks are unique from one another too. I’d still just consider that one ride.

You could perhaps just asterisks these few attractions as singular attractions with multiple experiences, but still ultimately one attraction.

whiterhino42

I think I counted the galleries as being 2-3 for all of them. I don't recall exactly
Oh okay because I thought of 1. Soarin, 2. Living with the land, 3. Imagination, 4. Pixar Shorts, 5. Seas with Nemo, 6. Turtle 🐢 Talk, 7. Mission Space, 8. Test Track, 9. Spaceship Earth, 10. Frozen, 11. 3 Cabelleros, 12. O Canada film, 13. China Film, 14. Impressions De France, 15. The American Experience......I guess you could count the aquarium as 16.....and the sad remnants of innovations as 17 but I guess something like the German train or that little Norway church I don't consider experiences....to me those r just part of the ambiance of the country.....maybe that's just me though.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Oh okay because I thought of 1. Soarin, 2. Living with the land, 3. Imagination, 4. Pixar Shorts, 5. Seas with Nemo, 6. Turtle 🐢 Talk, 7. Mission Space, 8. Test Track, 9. Spaceship Earth, 10. Frozen, 11. 3 Cabelleros, 12. O Canada film, 13. China Film, 14. Impressions De France, 15. The American Experience......I guess you could count the aquarium as 16.....and the sad remnants of innovations as 17 but I guess something like the German train or that little Norway church I don't consider experiences....to me those r just part of the ambiance of the country.....maybe that's just me though.

You should count each food booth!!

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
So, you have M:S Green, which is pretty much a simulator. But then you have Orange, which is a ride all by itself, but then it has a simulator built around that. Is that a ride or simulator or both?

What about coasters that have VR headsets? Ride, simulator, both?

Coasters stay coasters regardless of gimmick. M:S is a simulator.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
M:S spins to simulate another type of movement. You’re not actually spining in the experience.

A regular centrifuge / spin ride isn’t simulating anything.

Yeah, there are rides that are just centrifuges for the sake of experience the sideways Gs...

1528761371852.png

Now, if you put a simulation screen in front of them, does it stop being a ride?

Does a coaster stop being a ride if you strap on VR headsets?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
No?

Do you not consider Mission Space, Star Tours, FoP and Soarin rides? I certainly do

Mission Space Orange... yes. Mission Space Green... I would call that a simulator.

But then here's the question: Is a simulator a ride? What if Star Tours only had seats that rumbled instead of being a vehicle that shook? Would it still be a ride.

Again, there's a spectrum of movement and simulation which makes edge cases debatable.

HauntedMansionFLA

I just don't understand the appeal. I don't recall any notable landmarks in the Monsters, Inc. series -- yes, you could build a ride in a recreation of the Inc. building, but after that?
I don’t either. It made okay money. If the Laugh Floor is an example of what come into the land, I would hope they would pass. One attraction inside a Pixar Land Aivwoulf say yes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom