Monsters, Inc. Hollywood Studios rumor

Mstr Gra-c

I don't see any problems in putting coaster track in a preexisting building... as long as some type of entrance can be made for construction materials and footings can be placed into a well-defined slab foundation (I assume that this building has a substantial foundation, since Disney seems to build well past building codes... however, I could be sorely mistaken).

This also may very well be true...but again if you have to design a ride around a space instead of designing a space around a ride, the ride quality could suffer. It would essentially hamstring the imagineers into having to design a unique experience, as long as it fits in this little box...doesn't sound to magical to me.

Unplugged

I have to agree with everyone that stated the building is not large enough and will have to be expanded. Let's consider physical examples in that Midway Mania is next door, it's building is larger, and a ride like it requires less space than a coaster of any type. Also consider Space Mountain and Rock'n'Roller. The soundstage in question is less than half the size of SM and still slightly smaller than just the ride building for RnR. If you add in the rest of RnR structure, again, less than half the size. Additionally, the height won't work either. Review the same coaster examples. The ride buildings are much taller.

I'm also on the band wagon with those that say major construction off the back will take place. Disney moved an entire water way for Lights Motors Action, they can move a few backstage work shops for a ride.

I'll venture to say that should this attraction be built, it's a sure end to Studio Tour. Whether the coaster goes to the back or side, something for the tour will be effected in a big way. Any more nails in that coffin and they'll have to call it Haunted Mansion II. :lol:

Mstr Gra-c

I have to agree with everyone that stated the building is not large enough and will have to be expanded. Let's consider physical examples in that Midway Mania is next door, it's building is larger, and a ride like it requires less space than a coaster of any type. Also consider Space Mountain and Rock'n'Roller. The soundstage in question is less than half the size of SM and still slightly smaller than just the ride building for RnR. If you add in the rest of RnR structure, again, less than half the size. Additionally, the height won't work either. Review the same coaster examples. The ride buildings are much taller.

I'm also on the band wagon with those that say major construction off the back will take place. Disney moved an entire water way for Lights Motors Action, they can move a few backstage work shops for a ride.

I'll venture to say that should this attraction be built, it's a sure end to Studio Tour. Whether the coaster goes to the back or side, something for the tour will be effected in a big way. Any more nails in that coffin and they'll have to call it Haunted Mansion II. :lol:

Very well put sir...and I agree 100%:sohappy:

EpcotServo

I have to agree with everyone that stated the building is not large enough and will have to be expanded. Let's consider physical examples in that Midway Mania is next door, it's building is larger, and a ride like it requires less space than a coaster of any type.

Actually the other side is bigger.

Soundstage 1 pre-Midway Mania was 92'-2" wide by 136'-6" long. Soundstage 2 and 3 with the divider in place was 92'-2" by 77'-9". But when you took out the divider the total Soundstage floor was 92'-2" by 160'-4".

Since Midway Mania still needed two expansions for the building (One to house the repair bay and the other to house the load area.) I'd take it this Monsters coaster would need expansions as well.

RSoxNo1

Per Jim Hill, this should be officially announced in October. No mention as to whether or not additional items would be announced then and if it would be through the form of a press release or an event.

elabron

Pleased to see HISTK play area changing over to Bug's Life......I wish I could find the thread where I suggested this months ago! :)

The Pauper

Actually the other side is bigger.

Soundstage 1 pre-Midway Mania was 92'-2" wide by 136'-6" long. Soundstage 2 and 3 with the divider in place was 92'-2" by 77'-9". But when you took out the divider the total Soundstage floor was 92'-2" by 160'-4".

Since Midway Mania still needed two expansions for the building (One to house the repair bay and the other to house the load area.) I'd take it this Monsters coaster would need expansions as well.

That is amazing information! Based on this it sure doesn't seem like they have enough room for a coaster, but do you happen to know the dimensions of the show and support buildings for Crush's Coaster at Walt Disney Studios Park in France?

backlottour.jpg

Backlot tour
yellow=pre-show (water tank)
light green= prop shop / tram boarding
red= tram path
orange= costume shop
purple= scene shop
blue= tram unload / AFI Showcase Shop

Dark green= sound stage 1 (Monsters' Inc Ride?)
pink= I don't know:lol:

It looks like they will have alot of room back there. Especially if they use the parking lot past the costume / scene shops.

What is the pink building? Isn't it just that place where they had the Star Wars temporary gift shop during Star Wars Weekends? I can't remember. If it was just the gift shop, it seems like it is easily reclaimed real estate for a ride if they need it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
room for the que, and stations, maybe. I have a feeling the ride section will be in addition built onto the sound stage.

And structurally, I don't think you can just set up a coaster track in a pre-made building.
Well.... it worked for Universal.

There will be expansion into the backlot area.

Jasonflz

Since this new Monsters, Inc. attraction is supposedly set to follow almost the exact same storyline as the infamous Laugh Floor, might we see a premature end to that attraction? I realize it is in a different park, but the new attractions risks being rather redundant. Perhaps Mike Wazaowski will have moved onto bigger nd better open houses by the time this coaster opens and we can see another new attraction in Tomorrowland.
I will keep my fingers crossed.

PeeplMoovr

I know i make Jim Hill look like a credible source by saying this...but I will go out and confirm all of this.

WDI made a mistake a few weeks back and posted a video on their part of the company site showing in detail the concept drawings, ride mock-up, scale model, etc.
The video was on the site for about an hour before it was removed. Whether the attraction will be built by summer 2011, as stated in the video, or if it will get cut I'm not sure. But WDI has fairly detailed plans for this overhead suspended roller coaster.
Looks really nice and Studios needs the love

I saw that video and artwork as well, and agree it looks real nice.

Kman101

The Simpsons Ride isn't a rollercoaster. You're in a "vehicle" and you follow along with the Simpsons as they are thrust into one dangerous situation after another in a weird theme-park parody (Sea World, Disney, etc.). It's actually a fun ride. It's just a motion simulator type attraction. Monsters would be a coaster of sorts (probably along the lines of the Crush coaster and Primeval Whirl, etc. unless this idea was changed into an actual coaster)

HinunterZuNich

With Disney's connection to Vekoma (R'NRC), if the ride were to be a variant of the suspended coaster it could possibly be like this ride http://rcdb.com/ig1037.htm

It's a family suspended coaster that seems to have the capability of providing a thrill in a small setup!

I know this is all speculation, but thought people could check out the possibility :)

Mike

Denscott

visitors will periodically encounter scream / laugh cannisters with funnels sticking up out of them. These Guests will then be encouraged to scream / laugh into these funnels. Which will cause the sides of these cannisters to light up and reveal how much energy was just gathered

Sounds like the perfect ride for those with wild mood swings! :lol::cry:

I'm not sure how a suspended roller coaster can be described as a "family ride"...with the shoulder harness and straps it's hard to even see the person next to you!

I agree with the Monsters Inc overload...great movie but's let's have an Incredibles or Ratatouille water ride before another Laugh Floor

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom