Monsters, Inc. Hollywood Studios rumor

menamechris

The Backlot Tour is pathetic. It was once my alltime favorite attraction there (this is early 90s, when they had nothing else, but the tour was awesome). Time for that entire area to bulldoze.

I literally dozed off on it yesterday. It had been a few years since I had bothered to go on it. I can't believe how boring it is now. It should be bulldozed. Good riddance...

NoChesterHester

I literally dozed off on it yesterday. It had been a few years since I had bothered to go on it. I can't believe how boring it is now. It should be bulldozed. Good riddance...

In my opinion the whole fake "movie set" theme needs to go. It isn't believable any longer that they are "shooting."

Backlot your used to mean something, now they just don't lose it because there are so few attractions.

ctxak98

In my opinion the whole fake "movie set" theme needs to go. It isn't believable any longer that they are "shooting."

Backlot your used to mean something, now they just don't lose it because there are so few attractions.

I may be the ONLY one on the side of NOT destroying the backlot tour even though it is in a veyr sad state!

I think Disney should come up with some new ideas for it and add them in and make it as good as it use to be! Also I dont think the "working set" was ever that believable....atleast to me. But in my opinion every "hollywood" themed park needs an area like this. If you add attractions within the new york streets then it wouldnt matter as much. But I can see where your coming from because right now its just a big walking are with barely ANYTHING to do.

Tom

Beta Return
I may be the ONLY one on the side of NOT destroying the backlot tour even though it is in a veyr sad state!

I think Disney should come up with some new ideas for it and add them in and make it as good as it use to be! Also I dont think the "working set" was ever that believable....atleast to me. But in my opinion every "hollywood" themed park needs an area like this. If you add attractions within the new york streets then it wouldnt matter as much. But I can see where your coming from because right now its just a big walking are with barely ANYTHING to do.

When Disney-MGM Studios was actually a (somewhat) working studio, the tour made sense. So did the Animation tour, when they had a couple animators in FL.

The Backlot tour was incredible. The water effects demonstration was new and novel. The walking tour took you through sets from actual movies, and they even put guests on the back of a bee in front of a blue screen and recreated a scene from Honey I Shrunk the Kids. Then, of course, the entire explanation of The Lottery. After that, on many occasions, we saw Disney Channel shows either in set-building mode, or ACTUAL FILMING. The culmination was a pretty lengthy tram tour of a real backlot, passing by house facades from famous shows and movies, and the incredible Catastrophe Canyon. The original tour was almost worth the price of admission - to me.

Now, it's a joke. The water effects show is boring and extremely dated. After 10 minutes there, you walk through a prop cage, and board a tram to look at costumes and experience the canyon. Done. It's an embarrassment compared to what it once was.

Disney's Hollywood Studios has no right pretending like it's an actual studio in any way, shape or form. Not a lick of video is produced there other than their own promotional DVDs and Travel Channel shows.

It's time to find the park an identity. It can easily fall back on Eisner's term of it being "the Hollywood that always was, but never will be." Give us Pixar Land. Give us Lucas Land. Give us old Hollywood up front. Give us ABC Land/Echo Lake. And if they're going to do anything park-wise with Marvel, this is the park to dump it in. Don't tarnish any of the cohesively themed parks with it.

DsnySodec

I would rather see Disney put more effort into this project than wasting money on Avatar Land. Emphasis on this would have more a "Disney Feel" IMO.

NoChesterHester

When Disney-MGM Studios was actually a (somewhat) working studio, the tour made sense. So did the Animation tour, when they had a couple animators in FL.

The Backlot tour was incredible. The water effects demonstration was new and novel. The walking tour took you through sets from actual movies, and they even put guests on the back of a bee in front of a blue screen and recreated a scene from Honey I Shrunk the Kids. Then, of course, the entire explanation of The Lottery. After that, on many occasions, we saw Disney Channel shows either in set-building mode, or ACTUAL FILMING. The culmination was a pretty lengthy tram tour of a real backlot, passing by house facades from famous shows and movies, and the incredible Catastrophe Canyon. The original tour was almost worth the price of admission - to me.

Now, it's a joke. The water effects show is boring and extremely dated. After 10 minutes there, you walk through a prop cage, and board a tram to look at costumes and experience the canyon. Done. It's an embarrassment compared to what it once was.

Disney's Hollywood Studios has no right pretending like it's an actual studio in any way, shape or form. Not a lick of video is produced there other than their own promotional DVDs and Travel Channel shows.

It's time to find the park an identity. It can easily fall back on Eisner's term of it being "the Hollywood that always was, but never will be." Give us Pixar Land. Give us Lucas Land. Give us old Hollywood up front. Give us ABC Land/Echo Lake. And if they're going to do anything park-wise with Marvel, this is the park to dump it in. Don't tarnish any of the cohesively themed parks with it.

Truth. 100%.

MGM was my favorite park in the early to mid 90's. Right around the time Tower came on line...

When the working studio ceased to exist it lost its way. A couple of the best rides on property can be found there but otherwise it is a mess.

NoChesterHester

I would rather see Disney put more effort into this project than wasting money on Avatar Land. Emphasis on this would have more a "Disney Feel" IMO.

I'm one of the few proponents here of Avatar, but if the money for Avatar were actually diverted to an extreme makeover of Hollywood Studios I would be 100% behind that.

I just fear that if Avatarland is actually cancelled we get nothing. Far from a guarantee the budget would be re-allocated.

Cornballman

Truth. 100%.

MGM was my favorite park in the early to mid 90's. Right around the time Tower came on line...

When the working studio ceased to exist it lost its way. A couple of the best rides on property can be found there but otherwise it is a mess.

I agree. This used to be my favorite and was badly dissapointed when I went this year. I loved the Bee ride and was lucky enough to go on it twice with my older brother. What if they brought some of these things back with a modern twist, say perhaps the water tank looking like the captains deck of the Black Pearl and they shoot the scene with cameras and play it back for you using audience people. Then going into the next area and get to go onto a working deck of the black pearl perhaps in Studio 4 which isn't that far away. All the while walking down the "backlot" with props from other movies. Then you get on the tram and tour the costume shop and perhaps the scene shop if the windows aren't boarded over with secrecy. Then finish it up with catastrophe canyon and then bam, a tour that makes sense and is all about behind the scenes, all while using a movie that has been successful and people know.

Just a thought....

I agree. This used to be my favorite and was badly dissapointed when I went this year. I loved the Bee ride and was lucky enough to go on it twice with my older brother. What if they brought some of these things back with a modern twist, say perhaps the water tank looking like the captains deck of the Black Pearl and they shoot the scene with cameras and play it back for you using audience people. Then going into the next area and get to go onto a working deck of the black pearl perhaps in Studio 4 which isn't that far away. All the while walking down the "backlot" with props from other movies. Then you get on the tram and tour the costume shop and perhaps the scene shop if the windows aren't boarded over with secrecy. Then finish it up with catastrophe canyon and then bam, a tour that makes sense and is all about behind the scenes, all while using a movie that has been successful and people know.

Just a thought....

There's not enough room. About half of the tour was consumed by Lights, Motors, Action.

PhilharMagician

Just a thought....

You just described the current ride with the exception of removing Pearl Harbor and replacing with PotC. Oh and removing window coverings in the shops.

At this point, remove the whole thing and move on to something new. It will never and I mean never be even 10% of what it once was. Unless real production moves back to FL, then pull the plug and rethink the area.

Tom

Beta Return
You just described the current ride with the exception of removing Pearl Harbor and replacing with PotC. Oh and removing window coverings in the shops.

At this point, remove the whole thing and move on to something new. It will never and I mean never be even 10% of what it once was. Unless real production moves back to FL, then pull the plug and rethink the area.

The very sad truth.

misterID

We'll probably get a clone of RSR on that plot at some point, but I would be pretty interested in what they could do with an "Incredibles" themed attraction.

The very sad truth.

I'd say both DHS and USF lost a giant amount of atmosphere once they shut down production.

PS: Yes, I know SOME production still takes place at USF, however it is nowhere near what it used to be, especially when Nickelodeon was headquartered there. :shrug:

C.FERNIE

I love DHS but it is a mess, they could produce some things there and there is plenty of space to expand! as has been said before since the Back lot tour was reduced to a joke the studios has not been soo good. there is soo many people that say they could do better, i do not know why TDO has not realised. :wave:

CinematicFusion

Did they put it on hold when they started fantasyland expansion?
There were some strong signs back in 2008. Jim hill had a article on it from July of 2008.....

Judging by the long lines at "Toy Story Mania" as well as the brisk business that "Hey Howdy Hey!" & the gift shop across the way have been doing, it would appear that Pixar Place has already proven to be a very popular addition to Disney's Hollywood Studios.

The only problem with the studio theme park's new "land" is ... Well, it's only got one ride. Sure, once they've finished firing virtual cannonballs at TSM's CG targets, tourists typically linger for a little while in this part of DHS. But that's only because they want to have their photo taken with Woody & Buzz in the Picture Takin' Corral. Once that's done ... These WDW Guests quickly head off for other sections of the Studio.

Which doesn't fly with the guys at WDI. They really want you to loiter in their highly stylized recreation of Pixar's Emeryville campus. Which is why Walt Disney Imagineering has decided to add a new attraction to Pixar Place. Something that will come on line by the Fall of 2011. Just in time for Disney World's 40th anniversary.

"So what's it going to be?," you ask. That long-rumored clone of Walt Disney Studios' "Crush's Coaster" ? Or -- better yet -- some "Ratatouille" -themed restaurant that will feature regular appearances by that new Living Character Initiative version of Remy ?

Nope. Disney's Hollywood Studios is actually getting the attraction that theme park enthusiasts have been itching for ever since "Monsters, Inc." opened back in November of 2001. DHS will be soon be home to an inverted coaster that recreates the Door Hangar sequence from that Pete Docter film.

Copyright 2001 Disney Pixar. All Rights Reserved

This family-friendly attraction will be housed inside of Soundstage One. Though -- in order to queue up for this ride -- WDW Guests will first have to go around to the backside of this building and then enter through the old Jim Henson Creature Shop.

Here, they'll find an elaborate recreation of the Monsters, Inc. lobby. With Ceilia (You know? Mike Wazowski's one-eyed, snake-haired girlfriend?) working behind the reception desk. Given that this attraction will be set in the post-film world (After monsters have learned that laughter is 10 times more powerful than screams), Monsters, Inc. is holding an open house today. Actually inviting humans in the Monster world to come tour their energy-gathering facility.

Speaking of energy-gathering ... As they make their way through the queue, Disney World visitors will periodically encounter scream / laugh cannisters with funnels sticking up out of them. These Guests will then be encouraged to scream / laugh into these funnels. Which will cause the sides of these cannisters to light up and reveal how much energy was just gathered.

As they make their way up to the attraction's load area, these WDW visitors will learn that this Open House is all Mike Wazowski's idea. That -- along the route that their coaster is supposed to travel through the Door Hangar -- this wiley one-eyed monster has placed even more scream / laugh cannisters. Which will then collect all of the energy that these humans produce as they scream & laugh their way through this attraction.

These Guests will then board a train that's two seats wide and eight-to-ten cars long. After chugging up the lifthill past show scenes where Mike & Sulley will quickly recap the backstory of this attraction, these WDW visitors will drop down into the Door Hangar building. Where they then quickly whip past various comic tableaus featuring some of the more memorable characters from the "Monsters, Inc." film. Not to mention some far-too-close encounters with huge scare / laugh cannisters (Whose sides -- once again reinforcing this attraction's interactive aspect -- will light up depending on how loudly the Guests on board that particular coaster train scream).

Copyright 2001 Disney Pixar. All Rights Reserved

As for the finale of this two-minute-long attraction ... Well, it seems that these Disney World visitors will produce so much energy with all of their screams & laughter that the cannisters in the Door Hangar just can't contain it all. So there's this huge explosion near the end with bright lights & smoke. And just before their train rolls back into the station, these Guests will see a slightly charred versions of Mike & Sulley. With Wazowski telling his big blue friend "I think we need to get some bigger cannisters."

Now please keep in mind that this is a very bare-bones description of DHS's new "Monsters, Inc." ride. As for the attraction itself ... WDI's looking to spend some serious dough here. Even the exterior of this show building will be reworked so that it then closely resembles the exterior of the Door Hangar building that we all saw in the movie.

Mind you, Mike, Sulley & Ceilia aren't the only Pixar characters who will be moving into this soon-to-be-Super-sized version of Pixar Place. The Imagineers are also getting ready to retheme the "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure" around "A Bug's Life."

Don't believe me? Okay. Then click on over to the official Disney World website. Then access the DHS "Attractions" listings section on that site. Please note this 17-year-old Backlot attraction is now just called "Movie Set Adventure." That -- in preparation for the coming retheming -- the "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" portion of this attraction's name has already quietly been dropped.

Come 2012 ... Don't be too surprised if elements of "Cars 2" (Which will send Lightning McQueen and his friends from Radiator Springs off to Europe for a all-new racing adventure) start popping up in the "Lights, Motors, Action! Stunt Show." And beyond that ... There's even talk of pulling out DHS's Studio Backlot Tour. Flattening everything from the "Harbor Attack" tank show on back to Catastrophe Canyon in order to make room for a WDW version of DCA's "Carsland."

Copyright 2007 Disney Pixar. All Rights Reserved

But that's some real Blue Sky stuff right there (And -- to be honest -- that particular proposed DHS addition will only happen if Disneyland Resort Guests go truly nuts for the "Radiators Springs Racers" ride. And given that this California Adventure thrill ride is rumored to cost more than $200 million ... WDW execs will have to think long & hard before they finally agree to spend that much money on a single attraction). For now ... Let's just concentrate on the monstrous new ride that will be opening at the Studios just in time for Disney World's 40th anniversary celebration.

Just so you know, though ... Disney's Hollywood Studios isn't the only WDW theme park that's slated to have a brand-new attraction up & running by the Fall of 2011. Magic Kingdom managers have just been informed that their park will also be receiving a significant new addition. A ride that will send that park's Guests "Under the Sea" to spend a little quality time with a certain Disney Princess. But that's a tail ... er ... tale for another time.

But what do you folks think? Are you ready to fill up a few scream cannisters for the nice folks back in Monstropolis?

Turtle

I don't understand why if Monsters Inc Laugh Floor came out in 2007 they must have known in WDI about Pixar Place coming in 2008. So why couldn't they just wait since they knew Pixar Place is coming and put the Laugh Floor in the Pixar land?

And yes I would love the coaster but if not the Laugh Floor is always easy to insert just put a few chairs and a screen in the Prince Caspian building!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom