News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

PizzaPlanet

Just to point out this looks similar to an earlier version of the door coaster. That one fitted inside studio one (which became the TSM 3rd track) and front foyer with a bit more spill.
That was circa 2007-2008 right? Out of curiosity do you know if that build would’ve impacted or shortened the backlot tour?

fgmnt

Slinky is awesome. A top 5 WDW ride for many. Top 2 for my family.
I think it's a poor show quality attraction but as I have shouted a bunch of times into the void, it is a popular attraction at DHS in an outsized way. It's not even really astute business to unshelve the Door Coaster, it's basic supply and demand. Pretty fun imagining the what-ifs of DHS if this got put in where they first wanted it on the TSM 3rd track.

UNCgolf

In this case, they may replace an area with one show with an area with a show and coaster.

They basically have to if they want this to actually improve the park experience for guests.

If they just replace Muppets with the coaster, it's a lateral move at best, and possibly hurts the park on an average day.

Last edited:

The Chatbox Ghost

I think some people gloss over 2020 like it didn’t happen.
First two were Covid and last was replaced with something better, so…
I'm just bringing up the point that there have been officially announced projects that never happened. Those are all recent so they're in my mind, but I can go super far back into the company's history:

(These are only projects that were publicly announced and advertised to the public, it doesn't include any scrapped projects that were never announced like the Snow Queen's Palace)

Entire Parks/Resorts
  • Mineral King Resort
  • St. Louis Park
  • Disney's America
  • WestCot
Disneyland
  • Edison Square
  • Liberty Street
  • International Street
  • Rock Candy Mountain
    • Land of Oz Dark scenes for Storybookland inside of RCM
  • Mickey's Starland
  • Indiana Jones Stunt Show
  • Hollywoodland
    • Dick Tracey's Crimestoppers
    • The Great Movie Ride
    • ToonTown Transit
    • Baby Herman's Runaway Baby Buggies
  • LucasPort / VenturePort
    • Star Wars Rollercoaster
  • Tomorrowland 2055
    • Alien Encounter
    • Plektu's Fantastic Galatic Revue
  • Here Come the Muppets
  • MuppetVision 3D (Replacing Lincoln)
  • Little Mermaid Dark Ride
Magic Kingdom
  • Thunder Mesa
    • Western River Expedition
    • Mine Train Coaster
    • Log Flume
  • Discoveryland
    • Flying Saucers
    • Astronomer's Club
    • Plektu's Fantastic Galactic Revue
  • Pixie Hollow in New Fantasyland
Epcot
  • Equatorial Africa, Israel, Spain, Soviet Union, and Switzerland at World Showcase
  • Meet the World in Japan
  • Mt. Fuji Coaster in Japan
  • Rine River Cruise in Germany
  • Space Pavillion
  • Hollywood Pavillion
  • Cherry Tree Lane
    • Mary Poppins Teacup Ride
  • Play Pavillion
MGM Studios/Hollywood Studios
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth in the Backlot Tour
  • Dick Tracey's Crimestoppers
  • Maroon Studios / Roger Rabbit's Hollywood
    • ToonTown Transit
    • Baby Herman's Runaway Buggies
    • Roger Rabbit Rollercoaster
  • Mickey's Movieland
  • Muppet Studios Land at MGM Studios
    • Great Muppet Movie Ride
    • Swedish Chef Restaurant
    • Gonzo's Pizza Restaurant
Animal Kingdom
  • Beastly Kingdom
    • Dragon Rollercoaster
    • Unicorn Maze
Walt Disney Studios Park/Disney Adventure World
  • Galaxy's Edge
A lot of these were scrapped due to financial issues, failure of movies the projects were to be based on, or in the Muppet's case, death of Jim Henson.
Credit to YesterWorld's video on this topic for most of these.
There's probably a lot I'm missing for the other parks, but after Animal Kingdom, Disney started to keep planned projects secret until they were most likely happening.

EDIT: Organized the list by Park!

Last edited:

PREMiERdrum

Mary Poppins seemed charming enough and modest. Honestly a bit surprised it hasn’t been approved as a small Epcot addition for 2026 when not much else is coming online.
They could build the slightly-lessened version they planned to do anyways just by shaking the change out of the seats on CoP. Alas, it wouldn't move merch or bump LL sales. And that's how we decide things now.

Back on topic, the AC plot has been earmarked - so to speak - for a larger expansion. An expansion that isn't funded yet. They were caught flat-footed with their HoP plans and are historically bad at adapting. Pressure seems to be having a tiny bit of effect, which is more than the typical zero. Still think this boots MV - which was going to be leaving within the next few years anyways under a few different plans - while AC soldiers on without another real expansion funded.

Sneaky

They could build the slightly-lessened version they planned to do anyways just by shaking the change out of the seats on CoP. Alas, it wouldn't move merch or bump LL sales. And that's how we decide things now.

Back on topic, the AC plot has been earmarked - so to speak - for a larger expansion. An expansion that isn't funded yet. They were caught flat-footed with their HoP plans and are historically bad at adapting. Pressure seems to be having a tiny bit of effect, which is more than the typical zero. Still think this boots MV - which was going to be leaving within the next few years anyways under a few different plans - while AC soldiers on without another real expansion funded.
is muppets in HOP dead basically?

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Josh Gad is not a "Disney Legend". He voiced one character that is kind of annoying.
I mean, he was also in the Live Action BatB movie, he narrated that really cool show on Disney+ about the animals at Animal Kingdom, he's done "one off" voice cameos for a bunch of other Disney cartoons, and he was in Artemis Foul (though I can forgive you if you didn't see that)... but otherwise, I agree with your sentiment...

Horizonsfan

It’s odd that Disney wouldn’t consider putting a new iteration of the Magic of Animation back into the Launch Bay building as a stop gap until AC is ready for redevelopment.

Is launch bay truly more popular than the animation exhibits were?

TrainsOfDisney

I believe “MI replaces MV” is etched in granite
Or maybe wet cement?
Why didn’t he care when they yanked it out of DCA? I presume he goes to DL more.
Well it never closed really… the frozen sing along was an overlay that didn’t take out any of the muppets infrastructure. It was temporary. After frozen it became philharmagic. I actually think if they had given muppets a street facing marquee like they did for philharmagic it would be getting decent numbers - it was very well hidden.

He did hear that somebody in the know was kicking around ideas rerouting the entrance for Muppets and they would have to build back behind it. I'm paraphrasing here, but maybe it's something they are wrestling with.
That’s an interesting thought…. It would be very easy to reroute just use the old extended Q and take down the marquee. If the theatre was going to remain anyways - this lowers the budget for the land since they don’t have to create a new show.
I feel like it's easier to demolish an abandoned animation studio than it is to completely reroute the entrance of Muppets AND build an entire land on top of the service road and employee parking lots
The animation studio is not abandoned - that’s part of the issue.
Josh Gad is not a "Disney Legend". He voiced one character that is kind of annoying.
He is a Disney Legend - you may not agree but he is. Haha.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom