News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I hear you my only question is: where?

As far as I can see, Hollywood Studios is probably the most landlocked park out of the current 4.
Theres a few places you can go but a lot of it is backstage that needs to be moved somewhere and thats not cheap either.

A parking garage would be a one time cost that could yield new expansion land for 15-20 years (maybe more if you expand beyond the land the current parking lot to the south of the park occupies). I realize it's not a huge cost savings, but a parking garage would also result in the cost savings of not needing to run a parking lot tram. The massive Mickey & Friends parking garage at Disneyland cost about 110M USD (from what I can find) to build. I don't think DHS would need a parking garage quite that large, but even if a garage in 2025 cost 150M UDS, that would seem like a drop in the bucket when they spend 500M to guild Cosmic Rewind and 1B for Galaxy's Edge.

Alternatively, I believe @marni1971 at one point indicated that they were looking at expansion to the west (across World Drive). Again, the one time cost of building themed/"hidden" bridges and relocating the firework launch site wouldn't be insignificant, but again, it's a one time cost that would yield new land for expansion decades into the future. Just need to make that commitment for the first step...

doctornick

If I remember correctly from when the marathon ran us back that way, Those two behind animation and the one next to rock and roller are park operations buildings, the offices for the leaders in the park. Unlike the offices in the animation building, those can’t just be moved to Celebration.

Move the functions of the building I outlined in blue to the location of the parking deck and the entire area in red is opened up for expansion.

You could also move it to backstage next to the parade building or elsewhere to the south beyond Galaxy's Edge or Muppets, but this is just for illustration. Or you could build it on the far side of World Drive which is "suitable for building" land and put in a walkway over the road.

1725043575283.png

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Its big but demolishing 3 buildings (1 huge one) and a parking garage and just "moving them" is not necessarily an easy task. I'm not 100% sure whats in that building but I'm sure atleast something in there is pretty essential to Hollywood Studios as a whole. Moving the other buildings would even further complicate this as we're basically taking all of the backstage of Hollywood Studios and moving it... somewhere?? (Would most likely have to be less than 1 mile away) so really in Disney's terms 'a few feet away'

And people called me crazy for wanting them to move Muppetvision. This project would be insanely expensive and not have any real benefits to the guest for years as I'm sure they will have to build the new buildings first, then begin tearing down these and clearing the area, THEN they can start making it presentable

They aren't going to move Muppetvision. The decisions as to where to put Monsters isn't just about finding space for it, but also about what they want to get ride of. If they put Monsters where Muppets is then it's as much about getting rid of Muppets as it is making space for Monters.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

MagicEye99

I hear you my only question is: where?

As far as I can see, Hollywood Studios is probably the most landlocked park out of the current 4.
Theres a few places you can go but a lot of it is backstage that needs to be moved somewhere and thats not cheap either.
It's pretty interesting when you step back and think about why it might be so landlocked, relative to the other parks. The park was purpose built as a working studio theme park - my belief is that the original Imagineers on the project probably did not anticipate it being anything other than that (but maybe they did, idk). Therefore, they felt comfortable keeping the park within its original borders as much as possible, even to the point where backstage, offices, etc. were built nearly on top of it. So to your point, they're in a pickle.

lazyboy97o

It's pretty interesting when you step back and think about why it might be so landlocked, relative to the other parks. The park was purpose built as a working studio theme park - my belief is that the original Imagineers on the project probably did not anticipate it being anything other than that (but maybe they did, idk). Therefore, they felt comfortable keeping the park within its original borders as much as possible, even to the point where backstage, offices, etc. were built nearly on top of it. So to your point, they're in a pickle.
In the case of the Feature Animation building the building and some of its office space was also part of the theme park experience.

doctornick

Move the functions of the building I outlined in blue to the location of the parking deck and the entire area in red is opened up for expansion.

You could also move it to backstage next to the parade building or elsewhere to the south beyond Galaxy's Edge or Muppets, but this is just for illustration. Or you could build it on the far side of World Drive which is "suitable for building" land and put in a walkway over the road.

View attachment 812426

Or to piggie back on my own post, if they really want to do long term planning, they could move back of house stuff to the other side of World Drive which would free up not only backstage but allow flexibility in the future to use some of the parking adjacent to the park to the South or Southeast for future expansion. The land across World Drive is considered "suitable for development" and could be used more easily and cheaply than a lot of the undeveloped land on the WDW property. But it is not ideal for any in park expansion given the large roadway in between.

So something like this where the orange building and red parking deck move are replaced across the road. the Blue is an elevated walkway backstage for CM to get from parking into the park. all the area in yellow then can be used for expansion.

1725046776012.png

Figments Friend

Gotta be the AC area.
Such a wasteland now, with a lot of empty space.
We all know at this point how much could be developed back there….we have talked about it for years here on this very Forum.

Would also make a lot more sense to utilize that huge lot of land for not just this proposed project, but for future expansion in the years to come.
Cannot really do that kind of expansion with the narrow spacing over in the Muppets area.

-

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom