News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

ToTBellHop

The plan was most likely muppets, hence the reason it wasn't announced at the presentation. They didn't want to suck the air out of what is a great ride announcement for the studios. If it was animation courtyard, we absolutely know the day of the announcement or the day after.

They've now received significant pushback and I think it threw them for a loop. I don't think they figured people actually care about the Muppets still. So in my opinion this delay in where monsters inc is going, screams of panic mode. It's either they're rethinking where it's going. Or getting their ducks in a row for huge PR spin job to mitigate the terrible press they're probably going to get.
Agreed. Hopefully, it is that they’re moving it into AC and just want to cross their Ts and dot their Is once they determine exactly what must close since they won’t touch Mermaid.

Brer Panther

Can't they just move the Little Mermaid show to the Mickey Shorts Theater or the Frozen Sing-Along?

And if they're so insistent on keeping it, can we replace the Little Mermaid ride in the Magic Kingdom to avoid redundancy?

James Alucobond

Why is Mermaid even a problem? The facade on the right side isn’t especially inconsistent with the Monsters theme, and they could just add some additional plantings, kiosks, or themed barriers on that side of the courtyard. If they’re feeling more ambitious, shift the marquee a bit so that it exclusively faces away from the courtyard instead of straddling the corner. It doesn’t seem like a big impediment.

RSoxNo1

The plan was most likely muppets, hence the reason it wasn't announced at the presentation. They didn't want to suck the air out of what is a great ride announcement for the studios. If it was animation courtyard, we absolutely know the day of the announcement or the day after.

They've now received significant pushback and I think it threw them for a loop. I don't think they figured people actually care about the Muppets still. So in my opinion this delay in where monsters inc is going, screams of panic mode. It's either they're rethinking where it's going. Or getting their ducks in a row for huge PR spin job to mitigate the terrible press they're probably going to get.
The delay could mean a number of things:

1. They didn't know where it was going at the time of the announcement and have not yet decided.
  2. They thought it was going to Muppets Courtyard and are now reconsidering
  3. It's going in Muppets Courtyard and a replacement Muppets attraction is in the works but not ready to be green lit yet.
  4. People who would have to be relocated at either location have not yet been contacted and they need to go through that process before announcing it to the public.
  5. Disney is tone deaf and generally takes one step forward and two steps back.

WorldExplorer

Why do these people just constantly assume no one actually likes the stuff in their theme parks?

erasure fan1

The delay could mean a number of things:

1. They didn't know where it was going at the time of the announcement and have not yet decided.
  2. They thought it was going to Muppets Courtyard and are now reconsidering
  3. It's going in Muppets Courtyard and a replacement Muppets attraction is in the works but not ready to be green lit yet.
  4. People who would have to be relocated at either location have not yet been contacted and they need to go through that process before announcing it to the public.
  5. Disney is tone deaf and generally takes one step forward and two steps back.
I could definitely add to your list. But it's really hard to give any one in the Iger clown show the benefit of the doubt.

Your point 1 - they very easily could have just said that sometime during D23. So it's unlikely that was it.
Point 2 - that's what I said as well
Point 3 - that would tie into what I said about getting the ducks in a row to spin it. Hey, muppet vision is leaving but you are getting xyz new attraction.
Point 4 - I don't think they'd need to wait to contact anyone. They'd be moving to somewhere else on property, not another state.
Point 5 - that pretty much sums up what I said. I think the only one worse at this kind of stuff right now is Microsoft with Xbox. I never thought it was possible to take so many steps backwards after doing something good. Lol

There are obviously many reasons that we haven't been given the information yet. But with Disney, usually the least customer friendly option problem is the answer.

CoasterCowboy67

Can't they just move the Little Mermaid show to the Mickey Shorts Theater or the Frozen Sing-Along?

And if they're so insistent on keeping it, can we replace the Little Mermaid ride in the Magic Kingdom to avoid redundancy?
I think Muppets would be perfect for that Mickey Shorts theater since it’s a film (i.e., not a stage show with actors) with smaller demand than its current theater requires. Monsters can take the Muppets Couryard and then the “bigger thing” TBD can take AC with Mermaid entrance moved to the side next to One Man’s Dream

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Mermaid is “a problem” because the AC art presumed that building would be repurposed. With that said, they were planning on Muppet Courtyard as of D23 which is why we are getting a new Mermaid show. They can’t actually build the AC version as depicted with Mermaid and/or Disney Jr. staying. They can modify the plan and use up more space (where those “very important” offices are) or they can build a less ambitious MI area (coaster, a little bit of merch, and perhaps move Disney Jr. to free up space for a TSR if they want). Another option is to put a MI show in the Disney Jr theater and convert Brown Derby into a MI TSR.

This kind of movement could explain the delayed announcement of details though. Maybe they want updated art.

erasure fan1

Why do these people just constantly assume no one actually likes the stuff in their theme parks?
I don't think Iger has ever been a fan of the Muppets. They have a very narrow minded approach when it comes to the parks. It's all based on monetization. Unfortunately the Muppets haven't done well in the merch department. Of course it's hard to sell merch when it's not available to buy. It's what happens when you reduce their store to approximately 12 square feet, then just shutter it completely.

Sneaky

I think Muppets would be perfect for that Mickey Shorts theater since it’s a film (i.e., not a stage show with actors) with smaller demand than its current theater requires. Monsters can take the Muppets Couryard and then the “bigger thing” TBD can take AC with Mermaid entrance moved to the side next to One Man’s Dream
Muppets can’t just “fit” in any theatre. It needs a lot of infastructure that’s usually built in.

Sneaky

I don’t want MuppetVision if it doesn’t have Statler & Waldorf or the Penguin orchestra.
Even beyond them and the chef, without the bubbles, water, holes in the wall, smoke, and fireworks on the ceiling, it becomes just another 3D show. A REALLY GOOD 3D show, but still without a lot of its soul. It’s everything working in tandem that makes it special. Here’s my stance: if you have to move it, and if you can put it somewhere that it makes sense and no effects are lost, go right ahead. If they can’t move it or keep it where it is it without making it a cheapened version, it’s better for a successor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom