Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

misterID

No offense intended here (although some will take offense, so be it) but the point is I've never seen the situation you described....I have always seen evc/handicapped riders getting first ofthe line preferential treatment, sometimes at the expense of others. Nothing to argue there...it's fact and likely codified in WDW transportation policy....

The point is that such a small demo of people (evc riders that use EEMH at epcot or mk) is getting affected here and they think Disney is out to screw them to make the income statement look a little better....really?!?!

This company bends over backwards for people in wheelchairs and ecv's, legitimate or not....queue advancing everywhere except restaurants, prefered viewing locations for parades and fireworks....

And the company decides to address a failing infrastructure with needed schedule cuts and the first reaction is 'they're scrooing us, damn Meg crofton!!'

Since you haven't noticed, puntagordabob has pretty much destroyed your argument and handed it back to you with a big bow on it. Just so you know...

PirateFrank

I posted a pic of my sons (one in a wheelchair) in a previous response.... I take offense to your holier than thou attitude.... I suggest you drop this load of crap about handicapped use of the busses as it is peeving me off and I suspect I am NOT alone in this feeling.

I suggest that your anger is misdirected in more ways than one. First, stop blaming Disney for cost cutting when they are trying to improve the stability of the system. Second, start blaming abusers of WDW's (and 99% of non handicapped guests) Very generous handicapped tolerances....And not those that call attention to the abusers....

I'm not sure what your picture accomplishes? Can I post a picture of my daughter's split lip from 2008....which occurred on an overstuffed bus that comfortably carried a party of 10, one of which was an evc abuser of the most foul variety....still I was tolerant of that issue then....perhaps if I post a picture of what my daughter looked like the next morning, I can selfishly feel better that my illogical point may be better received.....:hammer:

Again, if you don't like this change....stay elsewhere...I still think that the overall result of this service cut will be positive.....if not for allowing disruptive service to be performed during down times, then there might be a slight reduction in selfish vacationers staying on property...doubtful, but a guy can hope....

devoy1701

I have a simple question for the readers here. For those of you saying "all the little things add up" and "you're paying for services you aren't getting", do you guys still go to WDW?

And if you read my earlier response, we're not going back next year. And quite honestly, maybe not after that for a couple of years. We've been wanting to go to Hawaii and other places. However, we already had this trip in September booked back in August of last year, well before the monorail decision. We didn't start going until 08, so I haven't been around long enough to notice any declining that started before that. However, I can promise you that a cutback WDW is better than a regular Memphis any day. Not to mention that we actually cut a couple of days off of the Disney portion to add to IoA/US.

I can say that we go less now. We were passholders for 5 years (up until this past February). We won't be going back until next May as we're staying at the Wilderness Lodge on our Wedding night, but we're not going to the parks...just getting halfway to Canaveral for our Disney Cruise on the Fantasy the following day.

We also prefer Disneyland, and more often find ourselves wishing to go back there now than talking about when we're going back to WDW. The decline in quality is starting to stare us in the face...

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I'm selling pitch forks and torches if anyone would like to organize a mob and storm the castle......:rolleyes:

However, the stand will be closed for maintenance during EMH hours.

Buried20KLeague

I have a simple question for the readers here. For those of you saying "all the little things add up" and "you're paying for services you aren't getting", do you guys still go to WDW?

And if you read my earlier response, we're not going back next year. And quite honestly, maybe not after that for a couple of years. We've been wanting to go to Hawaii and other places. However, we already had this trip in September booked back in August of last year, well before the monorail decision. We didn't start going until 08, so I haven't been around long enough to notice any declining that started before that. However, I can promise you that a cutback WDW is better than a regular Memphis any day. Not to mention that we actually cut a couple of days off of the Disney portion to add to IoA/US.

I went last October, but in the previous two years we decided to go elsewhere. Tokyo. Paris. DL. Now we're DL passholders, and will have made 5 trips there in a little over a year. It used to be that WDW was our routine location. 3-4 trips a year. But when all the declining started, we decided to see what else Disney had to offer out there in the world. And that only made the problems at WDW more evident. That's why I suggested earlier in the thread that people see what else is out there, even staying within the Disney Parks. I would be willing to bet you'd be surprised.

I'd say over all, we've made 9 trips to other Disney resorts in the past 3 or 4 years. Say we spend 5K between room/food/souveniers each trip... That's $45,000 dollars of my money that WDW is missing out on in the past 3 or 4 years. While that's not a HUGE amount... It's definitely not small. And it doesn't take too many others like me for that number start looking large enough for TDO to notice.

mickeysaver

No offense intended here (although some will take offense, so be it) but the point is I've never seen the situation you described....I have always seen evc/handicapped riders getting first ofthe line preferential treatment, sometimes at the expense of others. Nothing to argue there...it's fact and likely codified in WDW transportation policy....

The point is that such a small demo of people (evc riders that use EEMH at epcot or mk) is getting affected here and they think Disney is out to screw them to make the income statement look a little better....really?!?!

This company bends over backwards for people in wheelchairs and ecv's, legitimate or not....queue advancing everywhere except restaurants, prefered viewing locations for parades and fireworks....

And the company decides to address a failing infrastructure with needed schedule cuts and the first reaction is 'they're scrooing us, damn Meg crofton!!'

From the official Disney website:
MAINSTREAM

Walt Disney World Resort strives to provide mainstream access whenever possible; that is, all Guests utilize the main entrance to the attraction. However, accessibility varies from attraction to attraction within Disney Parks. The Guide for Guests with Disabilities and Park Guidemaps use symbols to indicate boarding procedures for each attraction. In addition, Guests should contact a Disney Cast Member at each attraction before entering.

Mainstream queues can be found at these attractions at Walt Disney World Theme Parks:

Magic Kingdom Park

Astro Orbiter
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
Mickey's PhilharMagic
Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor
Pirates of the Caribbean
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
Stitch's Great Escape!
The Enchanted Tiki Room Under New Management
The Hall of Presidents
The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Tomorrowland Indy Speedway
Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress (seasonal)

.Return To Top ..Epcot Theme Park

Energy: Ellen's Energy Adventure
FriendShip Boats
Imagination!: All attractions
France: Impressions de France
Innoventions East
Innoventions West
Norway: Maelstrom
Mission: SPACE
China: Reflections of China
Test Track
The American Adventure theater
The Land area: All Attractions
The Seas with Nemo & Friends: All Attractions

..Disney's Hollywood Studios

Disney's Hollywood Studios Backlot Tour
Fantasmic!
Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show
Muppet*Vision 3D
Disney Junior–Live On Stage!
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
Sounds Dangerous - Starring Drew Carey
Star Tours – The Adventures Continue
The Great Movie Ride
The Magic of Disney Animation
The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Voyage of the Little Mermaid
Walt Disney: One Man's Dream
Toy Story Mania
The American Idol Experience

..Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park

DINOSAUR
Expedition Everest
Festival of The Lion King
Finding Nemo - The Musical
Flights of Wonder
It's Tough To Be A Bug
Kali River Rapids
Kilimanjaro Safaris
Maharajah Jungle Trek
Primeval Whirl
The Boneyard
TriceraTop Spin
Pangani Forest
Exploration Trail

..Guests in a wheelchair or electric convenience vehicle (ECV) may enter and enjoy these Disney Theme Park attractions:

Magic Kingdom Theme Park

Country Bear Jamboree
Dream Along with Mickey in the Castle Forecourt Stage
Fairytale Garden
Frontierland Shooting Arcade
Jungle Cruise
Liberty Square Riverboat
Mickey's PhilharMagic
Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor
Shrunken Ned's Jungle Boats
The Enchanted Tiki Room Under New Management
The Hall of Presidents
Tomorrowland Arcade
Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress (seasonal)

..Epcot Theme Park

Imagination: Journey Into Your Imagination with Figment
Imagination: Honey, I Shrunk the Audience
Imagination: Journey Into Your Imagination with Figment
France: Impressions de France
Innoventions East & West
Canada: O Canada!
China: Reflections of China
Norway: Stave Church Gallery
The American Adventure in The American Adventure Pavilion
The American Adventure: The America Gardens Theatre
The Land: The Circle of Life
The Seas with Nemo & Friends: All attractions

..Disney's Hollywood Studios

Beauty and the Beast at the Theater of the Stars
Studios Backlot Tour
Fantasmic!
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure
Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show
Muppet*Vision 3D
Disney Junior&ndashLive On Stage!
The American Film Institute Showcase
Voyage of the Little Mermaid
Walt Disney: One Man's Dream
The American Idol Experience
The Magic of Disney Animation
The Great Movie Ride

..Disney's Animal Kingdom Park

Conservation Station
Cretaceous Trail
Discovery Island Trails
Festival of the Lion King show at Lion King Theater
Finding Nemo - The Musical
Flights of Wonder show at Caravan Stage
Fossil Fun Games
It's Tough To Be A Bug
Maharajah Jungle Trek
Pangani Forest Exploration Trail
The Boneyard
TriceraTop Spin
Wildlife Express Train
Disney's Animal Kingdom

Guests in motorized vehicles or electric convenience vehicles (ECVs) must transfer into an available wheelchair at these Disney Theme Park attractions:

Magic Kingdom Theme Park

Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
"it's a small world"
Stitch's Great Escape!
The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts
Walt Disney World Railroad

..Epcot Theme Park

Ellen's Energy Adventure in Universe of Energy Pavilion
Gran Fiesta Tour Starring The Three Caballeros in Mexico Pavilion
Living with the Land in The Land area

..Disney's Hollywood Studios Theme Park

Toy Story Mania

Affection section in Rafiki's Planet Watch
Kilimanjaro Safaris
TriceraTop Spin

..Guests must transfer from their wheelchair to board these Disney Theme Park attractions:

Magic Kingdom Theme Park

Astro Orbiter
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Cinderella's Golden Carousel
Dumbo the Flying Elephant
Mad Tea Party
Main Street Vehicles
Mad Tea Party
Peter Pan's Flight
Pirates of the Caribbean
Snow White's Scary Adventures
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
Swiss Family Treehouse - Guest must be ambulatory
The Haunted Mansion
Tomorrowland Indy Speedway
Tomorrowland Transit Authority

..Epcot Theme Park

Maelstrom show in Norway Pavilion
Mission: SPACE
Soarin' in The Land area
Spaceship Earth
Test Track

..Disney's Hollywood Studios Theme Park

Rock 'n' Roller Coaster starring Aerosmith
Star Tours & The Adventures Continue
The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

DINOSAUR
Expedition Everest
Kali River Rapids
Primeval Whirl

So, where again is it that we get to jump ahead of the lines? I actually tend to wait longer for some rides than if I were walking. KS at AK comes to mind as being the worst offender in that respect. The posted wait could be 10 minutes, but my wait has been as long as 2 hours on the ECV. JC at MK can be a long wait too, but it has improved a bit, but it depends on how many other wheeled guests are there already too.

misterID

You have the weirdest basis for an argument EVER! :lookaroun

Not picking on you, but you're constanly saying that you're "not effected by the decision, but your not happy with it" but procede to argue about it with people who basically... Agree with you, I guess???

And not only did you write Disney an email complaining about the park, now you say you haven't been going long enough to notice any "declining" so you really don't have a real stance or knowledge about the argument... But you're still arguing with people who do!

Am I missing something? I'll gladly apologize if I've misinterpreted something or missed something here...

bunnyman

Again with my fuzzy math. I dont know why I am doing this.

So, as someone did the math earlier difference between I think base contemporary and base WL was $135/night, meaning that the bonus of having a monorail (not getting into any other differences in ammenities as it is probably even) is worth $135 / night.

If you stayed a week, used the monorail for every trip to and from the park (again assuming you just went in the morning and left in the evening) and went to every EMH you could.
That would mean that with the new system 11 out of 14 trips would be unaffected, 3 of 14 would. Meaning your total usage would be 11/14ths of what it was for a week long trip. I used this to come up with the fact that your transportation is now worth 78.5% of what it was previously

reduced that would mean your transportation is only 78.5% of what it used to be, so about $106/night.

Would a reduction of $29/night off the rack rate make those upset less upset? Just curious.

You know, math can be very fuzzy indeed. How about I say this:

*I'm willing to pay $135 a night to stay at Poly over Wilderness, for the right to be in a monorail hotel.
*Let's further say I intend to stay five nights, for a total premium of $675 over that span.
*Let's say I only intend to go to each park once in that stay (MK, Epcot, DHS, and AK), so that there is only the potential for 4 monorail rides (to and from MK and Epcot for one visit each, assuming I don't go back to the hotel mid-day for a break to read my old math text book).
*Therefore, assuming the monorail premium of $675, that breaks down to $168.75 each way for my four rides (yikes!, I'd be better off hiring a limo anyways). So, if you cut my ride potential in half from 4 to 2, I'd now be paying $337.50 per ride.

P.S.-my father was thankful my employer paid for my Master's in Finance.

PirateFrank

Since you haven't noticed, puntagordabob has pretty much destroyed your argument and handed it back to you with a big bow on it. Just so you know...

My argument that Disney needs to increase the monorails continuous downtime each nite in order to make needed repairs/maintenance to the system?

Or that the extremely small demographic of 'evc riding EEMH attendees who can still ride a bus first in line' should see the bigger picture?

I'm not sure how posting family portraits accomplishes that, but, if it works for you....great!:sohappy:

BrittanyRose428

How are we still going on about the wheelchair debate? I'll admit that sometimes I see someone in a scooter or wheelchairand wonder if they really need it, no one's perfect and we all make judgments. But you never know what's actually wrong with someone so it's unfair to make accusations like this even on an online forum. The problem with the monorail not running through EMH is simply that a lot of handicapped people pay for a monorail resort specifically because they want to be able to take the monorail. And from my experience of traveling with someone who uses a scooter, they do not always need to skip bus lines but in the case that they actually need to have you ever thought of why they actually do this? Someone in a wheelchair isn't sitting there plotting of ways to cut someone in line with small children. Its simply easier to get a wheelchair or scooter on a bus before it gets crowded.

draybook

You have the weirdest basis for an argument EVER! :lookaroun

Not picking on you, but you're constanly saying that you're "not effected by the decision, but your not happy with it" but procede to argue about it with people who basically... Agree with you, I guess???

And not only did you write Disney an email complaining about the park, now you say you haven't been going long enough to notice any "declining" so you really don't have a real stance or knowledge about the argument... But you're still arguing with people who do!

Am I missing something? I'll gladly apologize if I've misinterpreted something or missed something here...

Once again, I never said I wasn't affected by the monorail decision, I said that I adapt to the situation. That's what the service taught me to do, adapt and move on. And I never said what I complained about to Disney, but I guess that making assumptions is your right. Let me know how that one turns out.

That's $45,000 dollars of my money that WDW is missing out on in the past 3 or 4 years. While that's not a HUGE amount... It's definitely not small.

Shoot, that's big bucks to me. We're probably spending roughly 3k for this vacation, and that includes Disney, Universal, gas, food, hotel, rental car and souvenir money.

mickeysaver

I suggest that your anger is misdirected in more ways than one. First, stop blaming Disney for cost cutting when they are trying to improve the stability of the system. Second, start blaming abusers of WDW's (and 99% of non handicapped guests) Very generous handicapped tolerances....And not those that call attention to the abusers....

I'm not sure what your picture accomplishes? Can I post a picture of my daughter's split lip from 2008....which occurred on an overstuffed bus that comfortably carried a party of 10, one of which was an evc abuser of the most foul variety....still I was tolerant of that issue then....perhaps if I post a picture of what my daughter looked like the next morning, I can selfishly feel better that my illogical point may be better received.....:hammer:

Again, if you don't like this change....stay elsewhere...I still think that the overall result of this service cut will be positive.....if not for allowing disruptive service to be performed during down times, then there might be a slight reduction in selfish vacationers staying on property...doubtful, but a guy can hope....

While I am sorry that your daughter was injured, I still don't see how that minor non-life threatening non-permanent non-life altering injury compares with the struggles and needs of someone that uses a wheelchair as a daily living tool. How you can say that someone who was riding an ECV on the bus that night was an abuser? You have no idea what daily struggles that person goes through and why they needed that ECV. When you get down to it, you chose to get on that overloaded bus. The ECV user had NOTHING to do with your child being injured. They had just as much right to transportation as you did. I find your intolerance of people's needs to be very offensive.

fosse76

You really are drinking the Kool Aid. Cutting service for maintenance issues is indicative that there is a severe maintenance problem. Even major cities replace their trains and buses when they no longer can be properly maintained. Whay can't Disney maintain 12 monorail trains? Obviously it is time to replace them, but to say this is an acceptable alternative to replacing them is ridiculous.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
You know, math can be very fuzzy indeed. How about I say this:

*I'm willing to pay $135 a night to stay at Poly over Wilderness, for the right to be in a monorail hotel.
*Let's further say I intend to stay five nights, for a total premium of $675 over that span.
*Let's say I only intend to go to each park once in that stay (MK, Epcot, DHS, and AK), so that there is only the potential for 4 monorail rides (to and from MK and Epcot for one visit each, assuming I don't go back to the hotel mid-day for a break to read my old math text book).
*Therefore, assuming the monorail premium of $675, that breaks down to $168.75 each way for my four rides (yikes!, I'd be better off hiring a limo anyways). So, if you cut my ride potential in half from 4 to 2, I'd now be paying $337.50 per ride.

P.S.-my father was thankful my employer paid for my Master's in Finance.

I love this statement, so true! It's one of the reasons I've never decided to make a hop over to a monorail resort, it's just not worth the extra cash to my family. basically $950/week for a few rides on a monorail, when my personal preferred method is via boat. That's a personal preference though and everyone's own preference fits in here.

And yes, math (not my major by any means, nor finance, in fact, talk to my wife, I'm fairly finance ignorant :lol:) can be made to say a lot of things. While I was using your potential usage as your basis, which could be argued is what you are paying for when you spend the extra to stay at a monorail resort (the ability to hop a monorail any time during the operating hours), you are using your actual usage.

That is where personal choice comes in. If you choose not to use every potential, even with the current method, you are by your own choice deciding to make each other ride "cost" more for you.
Yes, in doing this they reduce your potential rides as well, taking that decision away from you, and I'm in agreement that there should be some form of cost reduction. I was using a "highest potential usage" to calculate for simplicity. There are probably better ways to get at a good average cost. I just didnt feel I had the time or the brain power today to try and figure out an average person's average usage per week vacation, so I went with the highest possible.

bunnyman

Listen, the point is this is not about wanting more maintenance, convenience, ECV usage (that point should have been dropped a loooong time ago), but it's about overall quality.

Disney, like many other companies, is trying to squeeze out every last drop it can of $$. But if you look at things over recent years, their pattern has been to a little bit at a time cut back on things, that when you add it up it makes a difference. Someone earlier mentioned to appetizer with the DDP, but it was also the tip being dropped as well, and for what, they cut the price $1? At the same time, the menus at all of the sit down restaurants have been cut way back to better fit into the DDP, thereby limiting your choices.

Hey, don't forget the EMH character greetings gone as well.

And someone along the way mentioned ticketed events, and if you've been to them, they also have been cut back on as well.

So yes, we might just shut up and shuffle along and keep going to WDW, but our family has started to cut back on how long we go and instead go to other non-Disney destinations. We still vacation the same amount, but Disney gets less of my $$.

bunnyman

I love this statement, so true! It's one of the reasons I've never decided to make a hop over to a monorail resort, it's just not worth the extra cash to my family. basically $950/week for a few rides on a monorail, when my personal preferred method is via boat. That's a personal preference though and everyone's own preference fits in here.

And yes, math (not my major by any means, nor finance, in fact, talk to my wife, I'm fairly finance ignorant :lol:) can be made to say a lot of things. While I was using your potential usage as your basis, which could be argued is what you are paying for when you spend the extra to stay at a monorail resort (the ability to hop a monorail any time during the operating hours), you are using your actual usage.

That is where personal choice comes in. If you choose not to use every potential, even with the current method, you are by your own choice deciding to make each other ride "cost" more for you.
Yes, in doing this they reduce your potential rides as well, taking that decision away from you, and I'm in agreement that there should be some form of cost reduction. I was using a "highest potential usage" to calculate for simplicity. There are probably better ways to get at a good average cost. I just didnt feel I had the time or the brain power today to try and figure out an average person's average usage per week vacation, so I went with the highest possible.

Actually, my overall favorite hotel is the Wilderness, however, we've stayed at the Poly for shorter extended weekend type trips when we only intend on hitting 2 parks. Depending on when we go, if it works out that we can catch both the MK and Epcot with the EMH within the same trip, all the more reason we stayed at the Poly because of the monorail. Hey, if I have it and can afford it, why not. But, without being able to take the monorail back from the EMH, I see no point in staying at the Poly.

Buried20KLeague

Shoot, that's big bucks to me. We're probably spending roughly 3k for this vacation, and that includes Disney, Universal, gas, food, hotel, rental car and souvenir money.

I've got 3 kids... Two teenage girls. We started getting a second room for them a while back. Really jacked what we spend each trip, but it's worth it... For both of us. (and don't get me started on DVC. :zipit:)

We also usually stay in deluxes, and do the dinner shows and all that. Sometimes a fireworks cruise, too.

It's not ALWAYS that much... But I'd say that's a good average.

Thrill

Even if it's two nights out of a week...big whup....the problem still remains. You need more continuous down time....where do you make the cut?

Others have said it, I'll repeat it: Fix it the right way. The monorail system has been up for 40 years. It needs a couple weeks of downtime. Fix the tracks. Do some heavy maintenance on trains. Plan it ahead of time, let guests know. Do it in the offseason, offer a subsidized cost to those staying at the monorail resorts during that period, add buses to Epcot, increase boats, even add an MK bus if the boats can't handle it.

Do you consistently inconvenience guests, albeit a few hours a week, plus run the risk of breakdowns, or do you inconvenience two weeks worth of guests and have the monorail running whenever the park is open? I go with the latter. Besides, 3-6 hours a week isn't going to make the difference. I don't think it will, at least.

Keep in mind, the complaints aren't entirely about the EMH cut. I see this as a symbolic cut more than anything. Prices keep on rising, quality keeps on declining. You want proof, it's right in front of you.

draybook

I've got 3 kids... Two teenage girls. We started getting a second room for them a while back. Really jacked what we spend each trip, but it's worth it... For both of us. (and don't get me started on DVC. :zipit:)

We also usually stay in deluxes, and do the dinner shows and all that. Sometimes a fireworks cruise, too.

It's not ALWAYS that much... But I'd say that's a good average.

Two teenaged girls, yikes. Yeah, I can imagine the boost from getting a second room.

Mr_Incredible

Others have said it, I'll repeat it: Fix it the right way. The monorail system has been up for 40 years. It needs a couple weeks of downtime. Fix the tracks. Do some heavy maintenance on trains. Plan it ahead of time, let guests know. Do it in the offseason, offer a subsidized cost to those staying at the monorail resorts during that period, add buses to Epcot, increase boats, even add an MK bus if the boats can't handle it.

Do you consistently inconvenience guests, albeit a few hours a week, plus run the risk of breakdowns, or do you inconvenience two weeks worth of guests and have the monorail running whenever the park is open? I go with the latter. Besides, 3-6 hours a week isn't going to make the difference. I don't think it will, at least.

Keep in mind, the complaints aren't entirely about the EMH cut. I see this as a symbolic cut more than anything. Prices keep on rising, quality keeps on declining. You want proof, it's right in front of you.

Very good proposition imo. I agree with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom