Monorail to MGM

mocfan

Original Poster
Originally posted by MrPromey

Yes, old ideas - new mouths. You would think that people would want to know that there is absolutely nothing new in the arguments they are making but obviously, nobody in this thread seems to care that their ideas aren't unique. I think next time, we should just stay out of it and when they decide on a way, we won't tell them that it doesn't make sense or that it wouldn't work. They will eventually congratulate themselves for coming up with a great plan and use the old "Disney is too cheap" excuse for why it will never happen.

Not trying to offend anyone here but this discussion always boils down to two viewpoints in the end:

1. People who want Monorails or some other fixed rail system everywhere regardless of cost, guest confusion or extended traveling time (a lot of them end up going into denial about the last two points reverting back to the Disney is too cheap argument)

2. People who realize it won't work.

Please, please, please, if you really want to argue this with someone like Fantasia Boi, at least go back and read the other thread that I linked to on the first page so that you can see what he has ALREADY responded to and then try making a point. Not one NEW viewpoint has come up in this discussion so far.

If people want to argue something already brought up in a different thread on a new one, let them. You don't have to read it.

TURKEY

Originally posted by mocfan

If people want to argue something already brought up in a different thread on a new one, let them. You don't have to read it.

But people like MrP, Fantasia Boi, and myself keep coming to tell you why crazy ideas won't work, but people still won't get it.

mocfan

Original Poster
Originally posted by turkey leg boy

But people like MrP, Fantasia Boi, and myself keep coming to tell you why crazy ideas won't work, but people still won't get it.

Let them dream

MrPromey

Originally posted by mocfan

Let them dream

This is the News and Rumors section - not the Dream section. Perhaps, discussions about things that are neither news or rumors are better suited for other places on this forum. Perhaps general discussion?

mocfan

Original Poster
Originally posted by MrPromey

This is the News and Rumors section - not the Dream section. Perhaps, discussions about things that are neither news or rumors are better suited for other places on this forum. Perhaps general discussion?

Maybe so. I've come to the conclusion that maybe everything should be posted in chit Chat. That way it covers every topic possible.

Invero

Originally posted by dreamer
PS. I think you can do the monorails with just one transfer.

It's not a matter of whether you can do it or not... it's a matter of Its more of a hassle than its worth! The simple transfer of changing trains at the TTC to go from MK to Epcot is a concept that has baffled people for years.

When designing a transportation system... you have to keep a few things in mind. First... we have to deal with the lowest common denominator. You need a system that is idiot-proof. That means, direct.

Folks that use a city's public transit system are used to transfers, and they know what to expect. However, keep in mind, they've had potentially YEARS to figure it all out! Folks at Disney are down here for typically one week. They don't want to mess with a transportation system -- they just want to get to the parks, and have fun. No transfers, and minimum amount of time.

dreamer

FBoi

Uncle.

I even say tear down the existing monorail and pave over the lakes so we can park right at the entrance to MK. It will be sooo much faster.

And that's all we want, isn't it?

Invero

I even say tear down the existing monorail and pave over the lakes so we can park right at the entrance to MK. It will be sooo much faster.

The sad truth to the matter, is that there are tons of people out there that would like to see that happen. *sigh* Thankfully, I am not one of them.

MrPromey

and for the record, I was one of the people that thought they should have monorails EVERYWHERE until someone pointed out the logistical nightmare it would be to me... Then I was totally on board with the whole light rail idea till someone pointed out how it wasn't that much of an improvement so now, until Moller can get their cars (http://www.moller.com/) beyond prototypes, I'm content to wait and use busses. :rolleyes:

cymbaldiva

FBoi

Uncle.

Ummm...

No.

Cliff

The Monorail was not as BIG as an investment back then like they are today.

They were proportionally "cheaper" in 1970 and 1980.

CT : - )

Monorail Lime

Originally posted by 10021982
The Monorail was not as BIG as an investment back then like they are today.

They were proportionally "cheaper" in 1970 and 1980.

CT : - )
I'm curious how you come to that conclusion. It seems like the initial construction would have been a huge investment since they had to fund lots of R&D and testing.

jmarc63

Originally posted by Fantasia Boi

You're right. Then again, a car was a lot cheaper too. Heck, EVERYTHING was cheaper! :)

If I remember corectly from a friends B-day card a 1971 Caddy was around $7,500.00., noe you looking at around the upper $40 Gs

jmarc63

Originally posted by Monorail Lime

I'm curious how you come to that conclusion. It seems like the initial construction would have been a huge investment since they had to fund lots of R&D and testing.

From what I have understood from reading early Y E reports the monorail loop in phase one was figured in the the entire cost of building of the original project. The loop to Epcot was figures into the cost of the entire Epcot project. An expansion would be a project on it;s own in this case. One major flaw that Eisner didn't even consider was how anything new built would be effected by a link to the Monorail so everything was built all over the place with no inclusion of any coherent future layout. In walt's original plan there one line and everything was to be located along the flow of that line and not running all over the place

TURKEY

Originally posted by jmarc63

From what I have understood from reading early Y E reports the monorail loop in phase one was figured in the the entire cost of building of the original project. The loop to Epcot was figures into the cost of the entire Epcot project. An expansion would be a project on it;s own in this case. One major flaw that Eisner didn't even consider was how anything new built would be effected by a link to the Monorail so everything was built all over the place with no inclusion of any coherent future layout. In walt's original plan there one line and everything was to be located along the flow of that line and not running all over the place

Walt's original plan wouldn't have worked either.

Originally posted by Monorail Lime

:sohappy:

Excellent point! If we adjust for inflation and face the fact that the technology has already been invented and perfected the cost would actually be cheaper than the original costs (adjusting for inflation). By the way we also make a lot more than the $3,000 a year that they made when they were paying $7,500 for a cadillac.

I think that Fantasai Boi and the other monorail detractors must work for Pressler. I guess we have to accept the fact that it was just too unrealistic for Future World to stay open til closing like it did in the past and for world showcase to open earlier like it did, I guess forcing managers to stay in costume was also too unrealistic as well, I guess early entry was also too unrealistic as well (thank god it came back), hmmmm.... it sounds familiar with saying that any expansion would be too unrealistic. If you ask me these Pressler wannabes use the same code word that Pressler would use for something that was really nothing more than being cheap---unrealistic????? :p

And just for the record making a connection from the Epcot station to go to MGM (which would only be like a mile or two at most away) is nothing like the 7 miles from MK to Epcot and would be relatively simple. Get on at TTC, stop at Epcot let off monorail resort guests and MK transfers off at Epcot, pickup Epcot to MGM transfers and take monorail to stop at MGM, pickup MGM to EPCOT or TTC transfers and loop back to Epcot, and then loop back to TTC. It really doesn't sound that unrealistic or difficult to me. Again, thankfully none of you were around when it came to building the monorail to Epcot! Heck---maybe even Epcot would have been too unrealistic! :rolleyes:

cymbaldiva

Ouch!!

Harsh post - and I technically agree with you...but D***!

Now it's just going to be "Can open - worms everywhere" around this thread!

cymbaldiva---

Sorry, but I am so sick and tired of hearing of its too expensive, it can't be done, it's too unrealistic, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, excuse, excuse, excuse....

Although I do realize that even these detractors here really aren't like Pressler (well, maybe :rolleyes: ) because they in other instances do seem to care about quality and the old Disney magic.

As far as the can of worms they really only apply to MrPromey! Just kidding! :lol:

And I guess that most of the detractors would lean towards the Roy side of things while I just have nothing but Walt and imagination in mind. Although, in the end Walt and Roy really need each other and a good mix of the two can go a long long way. (Just don't ever let anyone else know this -- it's our secret :lookaroun :lookaroun :lookaroun )

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by thedisneyfan
cymbaldiva---

Sorry, but I am so sick and tired of hearing of its too expensive, it can't be done, it's too unrealistic, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, excuse, excuse, excuse....

Although I do realize that even these detractors here really aren't like Pressler (well, maybe :rolleyes: ) because they in other instances do seem to care about quality and the old Disney magic.

As far as the can of worms they really only apply to MrPromey! Just kidding! :lol:

And I guess that most of the detractors would lean towards the Roy side of things while I just have nothing but Walt and imagination in mind. Although, in the end Walt and Roy really need each other and a good mix of the two can go a long long way. (Just don't ever let anyone else know this -- it's our secret :lookaroun :lookaroun :lookaroun )

:) Okay, I forgive you! :animwink:

I think your explanation to me is what really makes the point - D*** good post! :D

BTW - I'm just loving your avatar! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom