Monorail to MGM

tahoe98

I hate to say it, but whatever works...

I believe I read in this forum that the monorail at Tokyo Disneyland requires a daily pass. Make people pay for it.

If you stay in a resort--it's covered.
If you are a day guest--you can buy a monorail pass.

In this way, the monorail can make money, and pay for its own up-keep and expansion. Until Disney finds some way to make money for itself or the resort, it's going to be a sour spot and a target for non-expansion or even potential removal.

Would I pay $4 or $5/day for a monorail pass? If I was going to MK or Epcot, absolutely. If the monorail was expanded all over WDW, most definately.

Would having people pay for a pass hinder attendance? I don't think it would. Kids see it and say "let's ride it!!!"

Oh well...Disney...if you are reading this consider this just another idea to make money at WDW.

My 2 cents,
Ben
:rolleyes:

dreamer

Originally posted by 10021982
The resorts directly make money.

Monorails do not.

If disney had a billion dollars to blow on something, I'd MUCH rather they spend it on upgrading AK....or something like that.

CT : - )

All of us monorail lovers are sure glad that WED didn't think that way in the 1960's. The risk vs possible benefit was WAAYYY greater then, without any existing revenue, than it would be now. Come on, think about it.

I think a ' monorail system WOULD bring more people on site to spend the night. It sure is a big draw to the existing monorail resorts. Then Disney could capture more business from offsite guests and fill more Disney resorts.

I think Fantasia Boi makes lots of sense, but just because he can't see how it would work doesn't mean there isn't a way. I think there is a way. Wasn't that one of WED's goals -- to solve problems and make things work better?

It's a matter of politics and priority. The people running DW have their own agenda, and it really isn't "what's best for DW." They are not visionaries like WD was. They bow to polls and bucks.

Even if they're unwilling to redirect existing funds, if they tack on an extra teeny weeny bit to each customer (especially the resort guests who shell out hand over fist anyway and wouldn't notice a little bit) Disney could raise capital easily if they wanted too.

Invero

Originally posted by dreamer
I think Fantasia Boi makes lots of sense, but just because he can't see how it would work doesn't mean there isn't a way. I think there is a way.

Not to pull rank or anything, however, I work for Disney Transport, and I've been quite involved with both Monorail and Bus operations. I know how things work around here, I know how the traffic flows, and I know what the guests want. I might not be a senior transportation imagineer... but I know how things work. Transportation is my life.

You say my points make sense, but then you set them aside and ignore them. So, perhaps you could shed some light onto this, and explain to me how you think it could work. But, before you do... here are some additional thoughts.

1. It can't go to the All-Stars. There's no money there. You'd have to increase thier room rates, which defeats the purpose of a Value resort. Also, think about it. Under the logic that people come to ride the monorail, why pay $300 a night for a Monorail resort, when you can spent $60 a night?
  2. What route would it go? Is there enough real estate on those areas to handle a monorail system? How would it affect the current theming of the resort? Would we have a monorail plyon in the middle of the pool? How many stops would there be? You can't have a stop every 200 feet like you might with a bus. The seven stops at Caribbean Beach couldn't exist. Now you have to make people walk long distances to get to the monorail.
  3. Would it involve Transfers? Probably so... because of the Fixed Guideway, it can't operate on a flex schedule like a bus. So that means you're going to really confuse the guests. Plus, you're going to inconvenience them by making them wait in more long lines, and taking longer to get to the parks. Despite what you may think, the VAST MAJORITY of guests want the quickest and easiest way to get to the park. Not the coolest. The QUICKEST.
    [/list=1]

Invero

Originally posted by mocfan
Looks like starting this thread wasn't a waste after all.

I'm not saying it's a waste, however, I seem to be bringing up the same reasons why a monorail expansion would not be feasible, and people keep on ignoring them and saying how Disney needs that monorail. It basically seems like a copy of the mega-thread from a while ago.

:brick: :hammer: :rolleyes:

Fievel

RunDisney Addict

All of us monorail lovers are sure glad that WED didn't think that way in the 1960's. The risk vs possible benefit was WAAYYY greater then, without any existing revenue, than it would be now. Come on, think about it.

I think a ' monorail system WOULD bring more people on site to spend the night. It sure is a big draw to the existing monorail resorts. Then Disney could capture more business from offsite guests and fill more Disney resorts.

I think Fantasia Boi makes lots of sense, but just because he can't see how it would work doesn't mean there isn't a way. I think there is a way. Wasn't that one of WED's goals -- to solve problems and make things work better?

It's a matter of politics and priority. The people running DW have their own agenda, and it really isn't "what's best for DW." They are not visionaries like WD was. They bow to polls and bucks.

Even if they're unwilling to redirect existing funds, if they tack on an extra teeny weeny bit to each customer (especially the resort guests who shell out hand over fist anyway and wouldn't notice a little bit) Disney could raise capital easily if they wanted too.

Once again you're letting "the dream" get in the way of reality. Tyler has done EXTENSIVE research on this subject, and I would take him very seriously, as he is pretty much the most schooled person on these boards on the subject. He has gone into great lengths on two threads now, but people don't seem to listen.

Take into consideration that the cost doesn't justify the end result. At a billion dollars, I'd rather see many....MANY new rides get put into a park, or even perhaps a new park get built. Take in mind that if MGM got monorail service, people would be griping for AK to be next, and that would even be more costly.

In these days of cost-cutting measures, I'm seeing a lot of complaints that Disney isn't doing enough with upkeep and new rides. How do you think the budget would be affected if they were to spend billions on monorail expansion. Upkeep would be even more severely reduced. It does cost something to maintain the magic. Yes, They are speding a lot on Mission:Space, but that also has a sponsor who is footing a large chunk of that bill. Therefore, it isn't all Disney's cost.

We're not all dream crushers here. We're realists. Even the great Walt Disney had to have his brother around to handle the finances. If not for Roy figuring out what was possible and what wasn't, Walt's dreams never would have come to pass. Remember that. People complain about monorail expansion not happening, rehabs that need to be done, rides they want to see built, and general other issues that cost much more money than ANY budget would allow. How do you expect them to get all this money? You realize how much the rates to stay on property would go up?

mocfan

Original Poster
Originally posted by Fantasia Boi

I'm not saying it's a waste, however, I seem to be bringing up the same reasons why a monorail expansion would not be feasible, and people keep on ignoring them and saying how Disney needs that monorail. It basically seems like a copy of the mega-thread from a while ago.

People are responding though. :lookaroun

dreamer

You say my points make sense, but then you set them aside and ignore them. So, perhaps you could shed some light onto this, and explain to me how you think it could work. But, before you do... here are some additional thoughts.

1. It can't go to the All-Stars.
  2. What route would it go?
  3. Would it involve Transfers?

[/list=1]

1. 1. I'm not ignoring your reasons, I'm just telling you that if DW wants to build a monorail they can make it work. Just like you and I are talking to each other through what is to me an inconceivable "transportation system for ideas" called the WWW. Just because I could never conceive it to be possible, didn't make it impossible. Ten years ago I wouldn't have ever imagined anything to be faster and easier than fax. Wrong.

Do you think the world is limited by what you and I think we have the solution to? If you think that a more efficient system than buses will never be developed by someone, somewhere then I think you are dead wrong. Disney could lead the way like it has before.

I'm talking about a new paradigm. A new box.

2. Charge All-Stars guests proportionately less. Give em a break. Or just don't run it to All Stars.

3. I think retro-fitting resorts would be a problem. That's what problem-solvers are for. See #1 above.

4. I think it could be done with one transfer to get from each resort to each park -- or to another resort. Again, I think that it is possible to get from one place to another faster than by bus. Someone just needs to invent it.

Fantasia Boi, you would be a great person to work on it. You just need to start thinking about what IS possible rather than what is not. You need to figure out how to overcome the difficulties rather than succumb to them.

dreamer

In spite of what I said. I'm not expecting it in my life time. Unless Walt rises from the dead.

Although, Disney is progressing toward becoming a religion. That may come before the monorail.

mocfan

Original Poster
In spite of what I said. I'm not expecting it in my life time. Unless Walt rises from the dead.

Although, Disney is progressing toward becoming a religion. That may come before the monorail.

You mean it isn't a religion now? :veryconfu

Cliff

Let's take a survey:

Let's say the shareholders approve a 500 million budget for developement of any of these projects of your choice:

1.) New amazing Austrailia land and E-ticket super high tech ride at AK
2.) Renovation of Tomorrow land and construction of new "Bald mountain" E- ticket attraction at MK
3.) All new super tricked-out Great Movie Ride and new mega E- ticket attraction in the newly renovated New York and backlot area of MGM
4.) A new mind- blowing "weather" pavillion joining The Land and Living seas as well as a new E-ticket attraction in Wonders of life at EPCOT Center.
5.) A Monorail from the Ticket and Transportation Center to MGM.

Who picks what?

Of course, I want them all at once like everybody else out here.

Am I being a "negative thinker" for understanding that Disney has limited resources?

As FIEVEL points out, I guess it must be the "Roy Disney" in me. (The Disney company needed him too....In fact, Walt never could have started this without is bro keeping his feet on the ground)

I DO love number 5...I really do!! But not as much as any of the first three.

CT : - );)

leebier

1. I'm not ignoring your reasons, I'm just telling you that if DW wants to build a monorail they can make it work. Just like you and I are talking to each other through what is to me an inconceivable "transportation system for ideas" called the WWW. Just because I could never conceive it to be possible, didn't make it impossible. Ten years ago I wouldn't have ever imagined anything to be faster and easier than fax. Wrong.

Do you think the world is limited by what you and I think we have the solution to? If you think that a more efficient system than buses will never be developed by someone, somewhere then I think you are dead wrong. Disney could lead the way like it has before.

I'm talking about a new paradigm. A new box.

If we're shifting to a new paradigm, then why stick with the monorail concept? I LOVE the monorail. The monorail IS Disney to me. When I went this year, I forced my friends to ride it with me even though they really couldn't understand why. That doesn't mean I blindly want it expanded at the loss of other great things.

The easiest and quickest reason the Monorail isn't the answer is the cost, but there are more reasons. The monorail (or any other fixed track system) isn't flexible. Disney moves a TON of people from 20ish places to 7 or so in the morning, then a few people relatively randomly from point to point during the day, and in the afternoon, a whole bunch of people from MGM/AK to the other parks and then a TON of people from just 2 or three places back to 20ish. Doesn't that sound like a system that needs to be able to quickly add and remove capacity along routes? The monoral can add/remove trains, but the limit is a small number (leading to not much in the way of increased capacity), and the process is slow. What happens when one monorail breaks down? The ENTIRE LINE has to stop! That's not very efficient. Plus it increases wait times, and really frustrates everyone on a working monorail that is stuck somewhere along the beam.

On the subject of lines, people complain about lines for the busses. Now, the vasy majority of the time (I know there are exceptions, and we don't need to here the stories here, the point it that the great majority of the time this is the case, Tyler has numbers to back this up) the wait for a bus is under 20 minutes. Now, with only 3-4 trains running on any monorail beam, particularly in the morning/evening, there is NO WAY waits can be less than 20 minutes. There are too many people at too little of a capacity to move the thousands of people that quickly.

This isn't me being a pessimist, or bet set "inside my box." Monorails hold a set amount of people (though the number could flutuate by maybe 10 or so with changes, but the possible change is negligible). Monorails must keep a certain distance apart for safety reasons. The track is a set length. Knowing these numbers, you can easily calculate the maximum number of people the monorails could transport per hour. This number is SIGNIFICANTLY less than a flexible system (like buses, or something cooler down the road) can move per hour.

Fixed guideway systems work in some cases. But for Disney's traffic flow, it just doesn't work.

4. I think it could be done with one transfer to get from each resort to each park -- or to another resort. Again, I think that it is possible to get from one place to another faster than by bus. Someone just needs to invent it.

Fantasia Boi, you would be a great person to work on it. You just need to start thinking about what IS possible rather than what is not. You need to figure out how to overcome the difficulties rather than succumb to them.

Assuming for the moment that monorails could be efficient at moving people, what sort of layout would require just one transfer to move from any location to another?

Keep in mind: most travel on the current, flexible bus system requires NO transfers. Just about every remaining route requires only one transfer. Many layouts have been discussed on this forum, and thus far, no one has a simple system (like, stand under the sign of where you want to go for the current bus system) with a maximum of one transfer.

One other problem with monorails that Tyler has mentioned and no one has really responed to it. No one likes standing at a monorail station (particularly after waiting in a long line), seeing a monorail come in, open the doors, and then close them with no one getting on because it's already full. In a point-to-point system, that does not happen. On the monorails, that happens all the time (I believe people at the Contemporary and the GF are the victims of this daily with the current setup, one on the morning and one in the evening).

Now, getting back to your paradigm, you're completely right. We need to think outside the current transportation box. That box includes buses AND monorails.

Monorails- have the WOW factor, the coolness, and the "magic" that makes WDW what it is. We've already discussed their problems.
Buses- efficient, flexible, low wait times. Buses are definately NOT cool. They are not particularly green friendly (though not NEARLY as bad as they are perceived to be) and they are not innovative nor particularly magical (though some drivers can make it so).

We need to get out of the bus/monorail box. There are some exciting new technologies on the way, and Disney Transport is looking into them. Some were discussed in great depth on a thread called "The future of disney transportation." Read about them, if some of THOSE ideas are on the way, I'm very happy with what is coming.

In the meantime...
1) Take a bus when you have to get somewhere.
2) Take the monorail when you wanna get somewhere in a more cool way, when you want to feel the magic. Think of the monorail like the Friendship boats, or the ferry from the TTC to MK. They are magical, they are fun.

I believe there is a transportation answer that is magical, that is cool, that is fun to look at, that is efficient an that is flexible. I also believe that Disney WANTS to have that system very much. Buses aren't the long-term answer, but neither are monorails.

I LOVE monorails, and I will make it a point to ride one every time I go to WDW, but expanding the monorail is not the answer for getting around the world.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
And take this into consideration. Why spend millions on a new monorail system that you'll only spend maybe 10 minutes on a day?

Not worth it in my book.

BTW...great post leebier :)

Cliff

Yes, great post Leebier.

You broke it all down pretty intensly!

Dude, are you like a lawyer or something?

If not, you should look into it!

Excellent points!

CT :animwink:

leebier

not a lawyer, but a college student (Markeing and Economics) :)

...spent WAY too much time this summer on the monster transportation thread and the follow-up I mentioned above.

Leebier

Invero

Just like you and I are talking to each other through what is to me an inconceivable "transportation system for ideas" called the WWW Just because I could never conceive it to be possible, didn't make it impossible. Ten years ago I wouldn't have ever imagined anything to be faster and easier than fax. Wrong.
But here's the thing... we're not talking about technology here. Fixed guideway transportation systems have been around for over a hundred years. The only thing that has changed is the vehicle in which rides on the track.

It needs to be done with ZERO transfers. Guests do NOT want to have the complication of transferring. That just means that they have to gather up all thier stuff again, move, find the next train, wait in line again... a mess. Guests want a DIRECT route to thier destination. And I can guarantee you that adding a transfer will add a LOT of time to thier total travel time.

I was driving out of Epcot today... I timed how long it took me from the All Stars to Epcot... It ranged from 5 minutes, to 7 minutes, depending on how I hit the traffic lights. Now, if we were to add in a transfer point... my guess is that it would take about 20 minutes to get to the All Stars. I can promise you, that the majority of guests will take the 5 minute route, and skip the "wow" factor of the monorail.

You're completely missing my point. I'm not saying that a monorail expansion is impossible. I'm saying that it's not in Disney's best interest, and certainly not in the guest's best interest, despite what they might think. Expanding the monorail simply because it's cool is NOT a reason to do it.

Think of it this way... You have a family. A spouse, and three kids. What kind of car would you buy? A Porsche 911, or a Dodge Caravan? The Porsche costs a heck of a lot more... is only a two seater... but dayum, it looks wicked cool!! Granted, it would take a few trips to get your entire family to the Mall... but you'd look cool doing it. Meanwhile, the Caravan will fit your needs, hold your entire family... but, it looks so boring, and has a Soccer Mom image attatched to it.

Which do you choose? I'm hoping the answer is obvious.

cymbaldiva

Here's my .02 -

Just imagine having a monorail to go everywhere you wanted to go when you wanted to go there....Isn't that just the sweetest dream?

That is the point though...it is just a wonderful dream - I don't see how in the world it could ever realistically work.

Course, I'd rather see the monorail expansion to MGM than a new park...there's already wayyyy to much to do! :animwink:

Invero

Originally posted by Fievel
Take into consideration that the cost doesn't justify the end result. At a billion dollars, I'd rather see many....MANY new rides get put into a park, or even perhaps a new park get built.
If my memory serves me right... DAK cost $800m to build. So, in theory, you could build a whole new theme park for less than the cost of a proposed monorail expansion. However, I personally would rather see a bunch of new E-Ticket style rides within the current parks (Especially DAK, which needs them)

Originally posted by Fievel
We're not all dream crushers here. We're realists. Even the great Walt Disney had to have his brother around to handle the finances. If not for Roy figuring out what was possible and what wasn't, Walt's dreams never would have come to pass.
Indeed, a point that not too many people really think about. Although Walt Disney World is a fantasy world... and a vacation kingdom... keep in mind, it's also a BUSINESS. A business that is designed to make money. And in order for that business to be sucessful, they need to carefully plan where they invest thier money. If they're going to spend a Billion dollars, they sure as heck better make sure it has a potential to return that money back! Otherwise, they're just throwing it away.

MrPromey

Yes, old ideas - new mouths. You would think that people would want to know that there is absolutely nothing new in the arguments they are making but obviously, nobody in this thread seems to care that their ideas aren't unique. I think next time, we should just stay out of it and when they decide on a way, we won't tell them that it doesn't make sense or that it wouldn't work. They will eventually congratulate themselves for coming up with a great plan and use the old "Disney is too cheap" excuse for why it will never happen.

Not trying to offend anyone here but this discussion always boils down to two viewpoints in the end:

1. People who want Monorails or some other fixed rail system everywhere regardless of cost, guest confusion or extended traveling time (a lot of them end up going into denial about the last two points reverting back to the Disney is too cheap argument)

2. People who realize it won't work.

Please, please, please, if you really want to argue this with someone like Fantasia Boi, at least go back and read the other thread that I linked to on the first page so that you can see what he has ALREADY responded to and then try making a point. Not one NEW viewpoint has come up in this discussion so far.

Here is a thought: Fixed rail systems work great for large cities that deal with more people with a more constant flow of traffic than Disney has but the whole concept of a fixed rail system is not all that efficient for Disney's transportation needs. That is fact. Any system is either going to be too small to handle the required amount of traffic at peak times or is going to be major overkill (and a huge waste of money) to accommodate peak times of the day and then sit half unused the rest of the time. So with that in mind, what about some alternatives to busses that DON'T require a fixed rail? After all, there isn't anything that magical or special or even advanced about a vehicle that can only go forwards and backwards that MUST always go forwards because of vehicles behind it suffering from the same problem. If you people really wanted to think outside of the box, you would come up with something BETTER than the monorails rather than spending your time trying to justify why Disney should expand them even when it will cost more and do less than their current system.

dreamer

Leebier and Fantasia Boi

I don't want Disney to invest in something that won't work. But I know there's something better than buses waiting to be discovered. I agree, Leebier, that it probably won't be monorails --- at least not like we conceive them. Monorails are too much inside the box and will be dinosaurs someday like buses are now. (The monorails at the airports are just as cool as the ones at DW.) But I want people to start looking for a better way rather than getting stuck on what can't be done, doggone it.

I think a new system will involve myriad smaller vehicles that carry 5 to 10 passengers. The passengers program the destination when they enter and a central computer system carries them along a rail (or other) system directly to their destination. Like cars, except the cars will have no drivers. They will be controlled externally. Maybe DW could do this with a ride to test it.

PS. I think you can do the monorails with just one transfer. Draw a dot and label it TTC. Then draw 20, 30 or 50 dots around it. Label them MK, AK, MGM, E, P, C, BC, YC, AKL, AS etc. Draw a line from each surrounding dot to the TTC dot. It is then possible to get from any dot to any other dot with just one stop at the TTC. Fred Smith invented this system with Fed Ex. All the airlines use it now.

(I agree this wouldn't be the greatest system. My kids said it last week: Why can't we just park right by the MK? It would be a lot faster! I told them that WD didn't want it that way.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom