Monorail to MGM

Monorail Lime

There was talk about an Atlantis themed monorail for a while... don't know if it got scrapped due to legal or cost but I am glad they didn't do it. These days city busses are turning into moving billboards with ads that take up the entire side of the bus and I think it looks pretty tacky in traffic. I don't want WDW busses or monorails to devolve into advertising because it would really cheapen the clean "transportation fleet" image.

That excludes monorail lime of course... anything they do to it would be an improvement over its current paint job.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Tyler,

In a previous thread (and maybe in this one, I'm afraid I might have missed spots) you mentioned that fuel cell buses still weren't practical. I saw recently that Philadelphia (and I'm sure other cities) is purchasing hybrid buses as a step in the right direction:

Philadelphia Hybrid Buses

Is anything like this in the works at WDW?

Lissydog

monorail thoughts

I can understand why so many are tired of this conversation...they have been there, said that, and nothing substantial has ever materialized concerning a monorail expansion. I think some have been harsh though in their responses to the original poster. I guess I best watch what I say for fear of bringing up a sore topic.

On the point of feasibility: I beleive anything with Disney is possible. Of course there are many factors to consider, cost, guest traffic patterns, convenience vs. price increases, etc... So while I beleive it is possible, it may not be probable for those reasons and more.

Was it not Disney who drained a natural lake, cleaned it, and lined the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake with the white sand found at its bottom? Did they not build the entire MK up 14 feet to accomodate tunnels below its surface? Did they not create the world's premier vacation destination out of worthless swamp land? As Walt once said, it is fun to do the impossible - and that's what they continue to do. A monrail expansion - possible if not likely.:cool:

Fido

Re: monorail thoughts

Originally posted by Lissydog
I think some have been harsh though in their responses to the original poster. I guess I best watch what I say for fear of bringing up a sore topic.

On the point of feasibility: I beleive anything with Disney is possible. Of course there are many factors to consider, cost, guest traffic patterns, convenience vs. price increases, etc... So while I beleive it is possible, it may not be probable for those reasons and more.

I think the reason people get a little harsh is the fact that topics like these have been rehashed to death, yet people still feel the need to bring them up again as a 'new' topic. Some do this for less than innocent reasons (to get a heated debate started for example), and some are less malicious in their reasoning.

This one seemed genuine, the original poster heard information from a cast member (who was probably just repeating rumor himself), but some others just want to yank everyone's respective chain. The other reason tempers tend to flare in a regurgitation topic is the fact that some here give genuine, practical reasons why Disney is likely never going to extend the monorail line, but others just accuse them of lacking the ability to dream, have a vision, etc.

As I said before, nobody here has the power or connections to make such a thing happen, so why blame them if they are merely trying to tell you why there will be no new monorail routes?

no2apprentice

Originally posted by MrPromey

As for your transporter statement: As crazy as it may sound, it is actually already possible to some degree. A few months back some university (MIT, possibly?) did a demonstration where they “transported” a laser beam from one location to another. Now, the significance of this is that the “transport” got the beam from one point to the other at faster than the speed of its own light and the data information on the receiving side was identical to that from the sending side. This is a long ways off from solid objects being moved in this fashion much less living things but who knows one day? I know, it sounds totally crazy and I wouldn’t believe me on any of this either but you can probably find info on it online if you do a search.
We may not see a "transporter" system in our lifetime, but it's not as far away as some people think. At the Oak Ridge laboratories, they've been working with moving atoms for several years now. They are not publicity hungry, since they are linked with the government, so not many people have heard about their work.

Invero

Originally posted by garyhoov
Tyler,

In a previous thread (and maybe in this one, I'm afraid I might have missed spots) you mentioned that fuel cell buses still weren't practical. I saw recently that Philadelphia (and I'm sure other cities) is purchasing hybrid buses as a step in the right direction:

Philadelphia Hybrid Buses

Is anything like this in the works at WDW?

Currently, Fuel Cell technology for transit busses is far from mainstream. As it stands, the technology exists, but it's still very expensive, breaks often and easily, and needs much improvement before it can become practical.

The Fuel Cells themselves take up a LOT of space, and add a lot of weight to the bus. In addition, from what folks who have been in contact with these busses tell me, is that they often spend more time in the shop than on the road. I think as time goes by, and the technology improves, Fuel Cells should prove to be a viable alternate fuel.

Another alternative is currently being implemented with that SEPTA article you linked to, as well as on the Boston Silverline... Diesel-Electric hybrid engines. I'm eagerly awaiting reports on how these hybrids perform. While it is a relatively new technology, it's based on one solid rock, and one well developed technology, so I have strong faith that these new hybrid engines will do well.

It should also be noted that todays Diesel engines are about 80% cleaner than those you might have found just 5 years ago. With proper maintenance, Ultra-Low Sulfer Diesel fuel, and filters on the exhaust, these new diesel engines are actually cleaner than the "Green" CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) engines.

As for Disney... I know in the past we have tested alternate fuels. We are always looking to improve our operation. One of our head transportation honchos

Marijil

Not to get too far off the subject..and excuse me for being new (the only way to increase the # of posts is to poat without fear of being berated)...but are there any plans to provide alternate transportation from AKL to AK...is there a waterway? CAn one be built...

Disney features so much water transportattion b/c it was built on a swamp...... is this possible?

Invero

Originally posted by Marijil
Not to get too far off the subject..and excuse me for being new (the only way to increase the # of posts is to poat without fear of being berated)...but are there any plans to provide alternate transportation from AKL to AK...is there a waterway? CAn one be built...

Disney features so much water transportattion b/c it was built on a swamp...... is this possible?

That's actually a very good idea... and one that I wish they had done to begin with. I mean, you have those Discovery River Boats or whatever they were... I wouldn't imagine it'd be hard to retrofit. The only problem I can forsee is getting the actual real-estate to do so... Currently, there's no area in which a canal could flow, feasibly at least. It would have to be a seperate canal from the existing waterways (due to security)... and somehow it'd have to go under a road...

It really should have been thought about during the whole construction phase. It's certainly possible... but would require a whole mess of things to be done.

SirNim

Here's a pic of the area (and my changes) which illustrate where a canal would have to go - There would have to be at least two roads the canal would go either over or under (gray boxes), and this setup would require the canal to go through some of the animal space at the horseshoe-shaped AKL (yellow box). Secondly, there would be a very slim chance the canal would connect with the Discovery River because there is a large area already with a canal and some other buildings (backstage) highlighted by the two red circles. Thus, the canal would have to connect with the main entrance area/parking lot of AK (yellow circle). The two black buildings at either end of the blue canal would be loading docks/drop off and pick up points. But this is just my cheap, quick interpretation.

Attachments

• animalkingdom-lodge.jpg
    animalkingdom-lodge.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 262

Marijil

AK water trans

Thanks guys... I didn't expect such a quick and intelligent reply...its appreciated

6/02 FW Cabins
11/01 Polynesian
11/00 Dixie
11/99 Port Orleans
1/99 FW Cabins
1/97 Dixie
10/95 Wilderness Home
6/94 Wilderness Lodge (grand opening)
11/92 Honeymoon at Disney Inn
7/88 Contemporary

Invero

Okay... so I did a lil tinkering... obviously needs some work... and a lot more planning... but... I'm sure it could be done, with a lot of work arounds. The major problems that I forsee is where it ends up at DAK... Cast Parking and access makes it tricky.

Attachments

• dakboat.jpg
    dakboat.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 225

Invero

Originally posted by Monorail Lime
1. Why would the waterway have to be seperate for security reasons?

Security of the animals... you wouldn't beleive the security around that place...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom