News Monorail Red in motion with guests on board and doors open

lazyboy97o

Honestly the doors and the flush loading should be a huge priority, plus opening up both sides of the car to allow for more scooters and strollers.. The 200 series solves these both. I hope new trains and not a rebuild is in order.
The INNOVIA 200 was formerly branded as the M-VI, because it was based on the Mark VI designed by WED Transportation Systems. There is really no reasons those upgrades could not be made to the existing trains.

I'm not that familiar with the DLR monorail upgrades but, in the video he said that they re-designed and remodeled the lead cars. Back to the 200's though, personally, I'm not a fan of the nose. I think that Disney should stick with the classic lear jet nose. Also, would Disney change the seating arrangement?
The Mark VIIs have a different nose than the Mark Vs but otherwise reused the Mark V body. The Mark VII also reused the Mark III chasis. Disneyland has not received an entirely new set of trains since before Walt Disney World opened.

What if they went with a company that we necessarily haven’t thought about?
That doesn’t sound good.

msg7

Now if they do get new monorails, which will most likely happen, what will happen with the current automation system implemented by Thales? Is it compatible with different trains? If so, would they bring the existing sensors & computers from the M-VI's over to the new trains?

Last edited:

s8film40

Honestly the doors and the flush loading should be a huge priority, plus opening up both sides of the car to allow for more scooters and strollers.. The 200 series solves these both. I hope new trains and not a rebuild is in order.
I agree that flush loading as you say would be great. It’s ironic the background behind that. Bombardier wanted sliding doors. Of course sliding doors couldn’t sit flush with the train. The lead imagined Geaorgr McGinnis claimed he wanted the doors on the train to be flush when closed similar to the Mark IV. From a design standpoint this is far better looking. This however is what led to the whole up and down and out and around motion that also led to the need for wheelchair ramps and not being able to place station gates near the train.
I'm looking over the specs of the 200 and the capacity seems to be about the same, if not a little less then the current Mark VI's. That could wind up being a problem.
There’s more useable standing room so the net result should be the same or higher capacity.
What if they went with a company that we necessarily haven’t thought about?
It kind of seems to me that if they didn’t go with Bomabardier it would likely have to be some virtually unheard of company. Most other companies that make Monorail’s have their own designs and probably wouldn’t be interested in working on a Bombardier monorail system. Ive also been curious if another company even could. Since Bombardier owns patents on much of the technology involved for that specific system I wonder if the alternate company Disney chose could just end up in a patent lawsuit with Bombardier.

Rteetz

It kind of seems to me that if they didn’t go with Bomabardier it would likely have to be some virtually unheard of company. Most other companies that make Monorail’s have their own designs and probably wouldn’t be interested in working on a Bombardier monorail system. Ive also been curious if another company even could. Since Bombardier owns patents on much of the technology involved for that specific system I wonder if the alternate company Disney chose could just end up in a patent lawsuit with Bombardier.
Disney hasn't only used Bombardier. They have used Martin Marietta. Disney also doesn't have the strongest relationship with Bombardier which doesn't help things out.

s8film40

Disney hasn't only used Bombardier. They have used Martin Marietta. Disney also doesn't have the strongest relationship with Bombardier which doesn't help things out.
They used Martin Marietta to build the trains they designed. They then sold those designs to Bombardier.

They don’t exactly have a bad relationship with Bombardier. They’ve done business together several times for various things since the Mark VI project.

Rteetz

They used Martin Marietta to build the trains they designed. They then sold those designs to Bombardier.

They don’t exactly have a bad relationship with Bombardier. They’ve done business together several times for various things since the Mark VI project.
And one of those more recent times made the relationship not as good. Just going off what I was told and Bombardier is not involved due to a bad relationship.

s8film40

And one of those more recent times made the relationship not as good. Just going off what I was told and Bombardier is not involved due to a bad relationship.
I haven’t really heard of anything negative towards Bombardier, but who knows. More importantly Bombardier has the experience with that system necessary to do the job right. If anyone else does it they’ll essentially be starting from scratch and probably create a subpar product whereas Bombardier is the only company that has a tested design ready to go. Business is business and either side could easily put aside differences for a project like that.

If Disney is really thinking of getting new trains, and that’s likely a very big if really the two best options are get some new trains from Bombardier or rebuild what they have. They know the design of the trains they have works well. A complete tear down and refurbishment would make them like new. They could add new bodies to update the design and reconfigure the cabins for a more efficient layout.

lazyboy97o

It seems doubtful that Lockheed Martin would be up for building monorails. Yes, any number of fabricators could build the parts based on a Disney design (see Mark VII) but then you also run the risk of having problems (see Mark VII). The whole advantage of going to Bombardier is that you are buying the closest thing to a stock design, not a truly custom one off.

Brad Bishop

I hope @Rteez is correct.

I don't remember hearing a rumor from him before and usually it comes from a few other sources and none of them have said a peep.

Without further confirmation my mind is stuck on: Disney will keep doing more of the same and the solution for this latest thing will be signs, which they've already implemented, and having someone look at the door/process. I just don't see them doing anything more with it.

Rteetz

It seems doubtful that Lockheed Martin would be up for building monorails. Yes, any number of fabricators could build the parts based on a Disney design (see Mark VII) but then you also run the risk of having problems (see Mark VII). The whole advantage of going to Bombardier is that you are buying the closest thing to a stock design, not a truly custom one off.
I don’t disagree. Bombardier just currently isn’t involved.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I hope @Rteez is correct.

I don't remember hearing a rumor from him before and usually it comes from a few other sources and none of them have said a peep.

Without further confirmation my mind is stuck on: Disney will keep doing more of the same and the solution for this latest thing will be signs, which they've already implemented, and having someone look at the door/process. I just don't see them doing anything more with it.
The signs are a stopgap. I highly doubt their legal team would let them get away with just signs. If it's an easy repair, sure, but if it's more systemic, they have two real choices: replace or shutter. And I don't think they will shutter the monorail.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom