• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Monorail Red in motion with guests on board and doors open

the.dreamfinder

I'm not that familiar with the DLR monorail upgrades but, in the video he said that they re-designed and remodeled the lead cars. Back to the 200's though, personally, I'm not a fan of the nose. I think that Disney should stick with the classic lear jet nose. Also, would Disney change the seating arrangement?
As @lazyboy97o could tell you best, the Mark VII monorails were something of a sh-tshow.

Rteetz

Advertisement
Was just thinking about this. I think this is viable. While I respect what everyone is saying about the 200 being a likely choice, I have a gut feeling that WDI will design a new monorail from scratch. Think about it, every monorail that Disney has created so far was custom designed by them. No "off the shelf models."
I’m thinking about a major company that I haven’t seen named here yet.

the.dreamfinder

I’m thinking about a major company that I haven’t seen named here yet.
Going through the list of possible partners.

Named
Siemens (Shanghai Maglev)
Bombardier (Legacy WED-Alweg System)

Not Named
Alstom
Hitatchi Monorail (Tokyo Disney Resort Line)
Intamin (Moscow and Shenzhen)
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries

lazyboy97o

Honestly the doors and the flush loading should be a huge priority, plus opening up both sides of the car to allow for more scooters and strollers.. The 200 series solves these both. I hope new trains and not a rebuild is in order.
The INNOVIA 200 was formerly branded as the M-VI, because it was based on the Mark VI designed by WED Transportation Systems. There is really no reasons those upgrades could not be made to the existing trains.

I'm not that familiar with the DLR monorail upgrades but, in the video he said that they re-designed and remodeled the lead cars. Back to the 200's though, personally, I'm not a fan of the nose. I think that Disney should stick with the classic lear jet nose. Also, would Disney change the seating arrangement?
The Mark VIIs have a different nose than the Mark Vs but otherwise reused the Mark V body. The Mark VII also reused the Mark III chasis. Disneyland has not received an entirely new set of trains since before Walt Disney World opened.

What if they went with a company that we necessarily haven’t thought about?
That doesn’t sound good.

msg7

Now if they do get new monorails, which will most likely happen, what will happen with the current automation system implemented by Thales? Is it compatible with different trains? If so, would they bring the existing sensors & computers from the M-VI's over to the new trains?

Last edited:

s8film40

Honestly the doors and the flush loading should be a huge priority, plus opening up both sides of the car to allow for more scooters and strollers.. The 200 series solves these both. I hope new trains and not a rebuild is in order.
I agree that flush loading as you say would be great. It’s ironic the background behind that. Bombardier wanted sliding doors. Of course sliding doors couldn’t sit flush with the train. The lead imagined Geaorgr McGinnis claimed he wanted the doors on the train to be flush when closed similar to the Mark IV. From a design standpoint this is far better looking. This however is what led to the whole up and down and out and around motion that also led to the need for wheelchair ramps and not being able to place station gates near the train.
I'm looking over the specs of the 200 and the capacity seems to be about the same, if not a little less then the current Mark VI's. That could wind up being a problem.
There’s more useable standing room so the net result should be the same or higher capacity.
What if they went with a company that we necessarily haven’t thought about?
It kind of seems to me that if they didn’t go with Bomabardier it would likely have to be some virtually unheard of company. Most other companies that make Monorail’s have their own designs and probably wouldn’t be interested in working on a Bombardier monorail system. Ive also been curious if another company even could. Since Bombardier owns patents on much of the technology involved for that specific system I wonder if the alternate company Disney chose could just end up in a patent lawsuit with Bombardier.

Rteetz

It kind of seems to me that if they didn’t go with Bomabardier it would likely have to be some virtually unheard of company. Most other companies that make Monorail’s have their own designs and probably wouldn’t be interested in working on a Bombardier monorail system. Ive also been curious if another company even could. Since Bombardier owns patents on much of the technology involved for that specific system I wonder if the alternate company Disney chose could just end up in a patent lawsuit with Bombardier.
Disney hasn't only used Bombardier. They have used Martin Marietta. Disney also doesn't have the strongest relationship with Bombardier which doesn't help things out.

Top Bottom