News Monorail Red in motion with guests on board and doors open

jpeden

In the Parks
No
If Hitachi was chosen to build new monorails, (just a thought) would they change the design/framework from their current monorails? I don't know if it's just me but Hitachi's monorails seem a little bit too... "boxy." They seem neither futuristic nor sleek to me.

Whoever builds them (if this goes through at all) is most likely going to just be the contractor, working off a WDI design.

s8film40

If Hitachi was chosen to build new monorails, (just a thought) would they change the design/framework from their current monorails? I don't know if it's just me but Hitachi's monorails seem a little bit too... "boxy." They seem neither futuristic nor sleek to me.
They would absolutely have to redesign a new train or copy the Bombardier train. Their trains wouldn’t work on that size beam. I would expect the design to be influenced by what Disney wants.

s8film40

A WDI Design? WDI designed all of the previous monorails.
No the last one they really designed was the Mark IV, and a lots changed since then not to mention all those people are long gone. Mark V’s and VII’s were just reworkings of existing designs and Mark VI was done by Bombardier.

Rteetz

That’s a really scary thought, I don’t think Disney really has any people with experience in that area.
I don't find WDI designing a monorail to be a scary thought especially if they contract with a major company to build it. I know you are under the belief it can only be Bombardier but right now it looks like Disney doesn't want to work with them or at least is making it look that way. I really think its possible it will be someone else. We still have a long way to go though.

msg7

No the last one they really designed was the Mark IV, and a lots changed since then not to mention all those people are long gone. Mark V’s and VII’s were just reworkings of existing designs and Mark VI was done by Bombardier.
Valid point. While I Imagine that Bob Gurr would have some input on the new trains, the older Imagineers leaving is definitely a very important issue.

s8film40

Valid point. While I Imagine that Bob Gurr would have some input on the new trains, the older Imagineers leaving is definitely a very important issue.
I don’t think Bob Gurr had input on even the last three Disney Monorail’s. His last monorail project was the Mark IV’s.

s8film40

I don't find WDI designing a monorail to be a scary thought especially if they contract with a major company to build it. I know you are under the belief it can only be Bombardier but right now it looks like Disney doesn't want to work with them or at least is making it look that way. I really think its possible it will be someone else. We still have a long way to go though.
Well it depends if they’re designing it or contracting a company to design it like they did with the Mark VI. I don’t actually believe it’s happening at all, but it’s not that I think it has to be Bombardier that’s just the overwhelming obvious choice. Much the same way Vegas went with Bombardier, it’s their system so it will be easier and more efficient for them to do it. To me if Disney is truly having meetings with other companies then I think they’re either doing that for negotiating purposes or just aren’t really taking a serious approach to getting new trains. Now if they’re looking to contract a company to refurbish their existing trains, I would totally buy that. No doubt they would also consider those to be “new trains”.

Rteetz

Well it depends if they’re designing it or contracting a company to design it like they did with the Mark VI. I don’t actually believe it’s happening at all, but it’s not that I think it has to be Bombardier that’s just the overwhelming obvious choice. Much the same way Vegas went with Bombardier, it’s their system so it will be easier and more efficient for them to do it. To me if Disney is truly having meetings with other companies then I think they’re either doing that for negotiating purposes or just aren’t really taking a serious approach to getting new trains. Now if they’re looking to contract a company to refurbish their existing trains, I would totally buy that. No doubt they would also consider those to be “new trains”.
I know I am not @marni1971 or @Magic Feather but I wouldn't post this info if I didn't trust it. Just because Bombardier is the obvious choice doesn't mean Disney is or has to go with them. This is Disney after all, they don't make sense most of the time.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
I am not sure if there are meetings on both coasts but I know there was rides on the WDW system involved.

If they're bringing people on-site to look at and develop proposals, they must be somewhat serious. You as a company don't incur that type of travel cost and investment (or on the flip side, if Disney paid for it, I couldn't imagine them spending the money), if you aren't somewhat serious about the job. They could have easily had basic discussions via Skype or without a site visit.

I'm not saying it's happening, but a true site visit as @Rteetz describes shows that they're somewhat serious about this in my opinion.

msg7

I am not sure if there are meetings on both coasts but I know there was rides on the WDW system involved.
Now if you can't disclose this info yet/ don't want to, you don't have to answer, or, you might not even know it, but does Disney view getting new monorails as a priority?

lazyboy97o

A WDI Design? WDI designed all of the previous monorails.
WED sold their transportation portfolio. All of the new train sets could easily be considered Bombardier designs.

Bob Gurr was scoffed at when he offered to help with the Mark VII.

esskay

I would probably also look into a patent infringement lawsuit against whatever company ended up getting the deal. Certainly far more frivolous patent lawsuits have been won.

Given Disney had a big hand in Bombardiers success, I'd assume they would've been smart enough to think 'hey these monorails may need replacing one day and we're about to sell the entire IP to do that' - at that point you have a contract in place giving you perpetual usage of the designs for your own system, and agree not to sell it to anyone else.

Of course I could be completely wrong, but I really dont see there being a lawsuit over Disney upgrading its monorail fleet.

Creathir

Given Disney had a big hand in Bombardiers success, I'd assume they would've been smart enough to think 'hey these monorails may need replacing one day and we're about to sell the entire IP to do that' - at that point you have a contract in place giving you perpetual usage of the designs for your own system, and agree not to sell it to anyone else.

Of course I could be completely wrong, but I really dont see there being a lawsuit over Disney upgrading its monorail fleet.

Agree completely. Given Disney owned the original design and patents (thru their acquisition of WED) I would imagine the contractual sale to Bombardier included perpetual usage rights to the design and system.

Bombardier was looking to sell monorails, Disney was looking to get some money, but they wouldn’t have gone from a state of owning the IP for systems installed at multiple parks, which then would require a dependency on the organization they were selling the design to.

As others have said, Disney wouldn’t even be talking to other manufacturers if their legal had not already addressed this issue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom