Monorail Expansion?

bamboo7

Re: Busses... good and bad

Originally posted by leebier
Ok, I have a couple things to say about the buses...

"we know you've been waiting 22 minutes, we've been tracking it." She explained that the bus on the route was not responding on the radio and was essentially lost (I still wanna know what happened to this bus, it was like the last week of May from ASM to MGM if anyone out there would know)
Lee

i'd also like to know about that. tyler, know anything about it?

and welcome to the boards lee.

bamboo7

Originally posted by ntn_haqqer

I agree. Next topic please! :hurl:

its fine if you don't feel like discussing what it would take to expand it, but no one is forcing you to read this thread, or any other.

btw - this is not meant to be rude, so please don't take offense to it

TURKEY

In fact, I would say I became most impressed by the bus system when something went wrong. On the morning we were going to MGM we just missed a bus leaving the hotel. It was hot and we waited and waited. 22 minutes later a Disney Transportation van pulled up and a lady got out, before anyone could even complain to her she said "we know you've been waiting 22 minutes, we've been tracking it." She explained that the bus on the route was not responding on the radio and was essentially lost (I still wanna know what happened to this bus, it was like the last week of May from ASM to MGM if anyone out there would know) and a special bus was on the way. No more than 5 minutes later, the new bus was there and we were (only somewhat belatedly) on our way to MGM.

If a driver isn't responding to his radio (sometimes radios are turned off), it's hard to know exactly where a bus is.

jmarc63

Monorail petition campagin!!!!!!

I was considering starting a new thread but I wasn't shure if any on would migrate to it, so I'll start it here and move it later (maybe)

I was reading some comments about how Disney should get off there butts and build the extension of the Monorail on some other disscussion/comments boards, and I had this idea.
If anyone who,s on this discussion board and wants the expansion to get going, I was thinking that we make up some postcards/ flyers with Presslers address and number on it and on our next visit to WDW covertly drop by as many resorts as you can and slip them in the door and tell the other Guests to please write or send in the card saying that "I want my Monorail Extension" and see where it goes. there was a simular communications idea reguarding investor dissatifaction to the payoff of iger for his depature.

What do you think, Whos with me on this. What about you steve. lets get a "wispering campagain" going

MKCustodial

Re: Monorail petition campagin!!!!!!

Originally posted by jmarc63
I was considering starting a new thread but I wasn't shure if any on would migrate to it, so I'll start it here and move it later (maybe)

I was reading some comments about how Disney should get off there butts and build the extension of the Monorail on some other disscussion/comments boards, and I had this idea.
If anyone who,s on this discussion board and wants the expansion to get going, I was thinking that we make up some postcards/ flyers with Presslers address and number on it and on our next visit to WDW covertly drop by as many resorts as you can and slip them in the door and tell the other Guests to please write or send in the card saying that "I want my Monorail Extension" and see where it goes. there was a simular communications idea reguarding investor dissatifaction to the payoff of iger for his depature.

What do you think, Whos with me on this. What about you steve. lets get a "wispering campagain" going

OK, so after 17 pages of discussion, we got to the conclusion that, even though a monorail expansion would be impractical and a logistic and financial nightmare, we should get together and get Disney to do it anyway because monorails are cool? :confused:

Boy, am I lost! :hammer:

Anyways, I wanna say it again: I don't think there are enough people out there who think of the monorails as cool ways of transportation rather than an old ride that happens to take you to MK and EPCOT. Maybe I'm missing the whole beauty of it, and I do think they're kinda cool, but after reading all the explanations and numbers, I'm willing to keep what we have and take the buses any day. :p

WDWFREAK53

Re: Re: Monorail petition campagin!!!!!!

Originally posted by MKCustodial

OK, so after 17 pages of discussion, we got to the conclusion that, even though a monorail expansion would be impractical and a logistic and financial nightmare, we should get together and get Disney to do it anyway because monorails are cool? :confused:

Anyways, I wanna say it again: I don't think there are enough people out there who think of the monorails as cool ways of transportation rather than an old ride that happens to take you to MK and EPCOT. Maybe I'm missing the whole beauty of it, and I do think they're kinda cool, but after reading all the explanations and numbers, I'm willing to keep what we have and take the buses any day. :p

MONORAIL HATER!!!

GET HIM!!!

JUST KIDDING AROUND :)

JLW11Hi

Yep :p

wdwjmp239

Originally posted by bamboo7

its fine if you don't feel like discussing what it would take to expand it, but no one is forcing you to read this thread, or any other.

btw - this is not meant to be rude, so please don't take offense to it

No offense taken. Have a good one!:D

WDWspider

Re: Re: Re: Monorail petition campagin!!!!!!

Originally posted by JLW11Hi

Yep :p

See, you don't build a Monorail because of how practical it is... money is an issue, but the monorail is really what the customers want. There is an intangable profit to be made from expanding the monorail, people will be more happy and not feel like Disney is Penny Pinching. When people feel like that, they come back more and brag more, and overall, spend more.

We Want a Monorail. You can do paperwork forever, but some things just can't be logically explained and accepted. Sometimes you have to spend extra to get back extra. Sure, Disney is sitting pretty and they don't have to attract more people, but why not give back some times too. I feel Splash Mountain was a good example of giving back.

bamboo7

although i would love to see the monorail system expanded, i know that right now it is just too impractacle. i'd rather see them spend oney on other projects, like expanding animal kingdom. i think that lee made a great point here........

I know that for now, I can live with the buses, as long as I believe that Disney wants to and will do something better as soon as a new, viable technology comes around. (i.e. I don't mind taking a bus next year, but 10 years from now, it would irritate me)

Lee

instead of pushing for a monorail system now, lets wait 10 years and see what amazing new transportation systems technology brings us. after all, we still have 2 monorail lines we can enjoy.

MKCustodial

Re: Re: Re: Re: Monorail petition campagin!!!!!!

Originally posted by spider-man

See, you don't build a Monorail because of how practical it is... money is an issue, but the monorail is really what the customers want. There is an intangable profit to be made from expanding the monorail, people will be more happy and not feel like Disney is Penny Pinching. When people feel like that, they come back more and brag more, and overall, spend more.

We Want a Monorail. You can do paperwork forever, but some things just can't be logically explained and accepted. Sometimes you have to spend extra to get back extra. Sure, Disney is sitting pretty and they don't have to attract more people, but why not give back some times too. I feel Splash Mountain was a good example of giving back.

But this exactly what I'm trying to ponder: you guys think that people care enough for the monorail that an expansion will increase park attendance? If that's the goal, use that money to refurbish and clean the rides and build new ones. Oh, maybe a couple of bucks to the Entertainment people and the Florida Animation Studio...
At least, that's how I see it.

mlnance

Original Poster
Personally speaking, I went to Animal Kingdom when it first opened and I really wasn't impressed. An animal park is just not my thing. I know they have expanded a lot of it now, added a lodge and such. If they are going to spend money on something they need to spend it on the following: bringing back World of Motion, Horizons, Mr. Toads Wild Ride, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, bringing back the old Universe of Energy (get rid of Ellen's Stupid Adventure) and skyride @ Magic Kingdom. I think it's ridiciulus to spend more money on AK. But, thats my opinion.

I have spent some time looking at various monorail web sites and from what I can tell, I think Disneyland did a good job with designing Downtown Disney and California Adventure along the monorail route.

When I went to WDW in 1988, of course we were still in the 80s era, but EPCOT had that 80s feel to it. And I wished that Disney had kept that image and just maintained and kept the park cleaned. Now, it has that 2000 look that looks so stupid. I know this is off topic, but if you were to watch Sesame Street in 1986 it was more recognizable, now if you watch Sesame Street today, you would think that Barney or those stupid Tubby-Babies or whatever had invaded Sesame Street. It ruins the whole image.
And I am afraid thats whats happening to WDW. Maybe it's for the better, but I dunno.

Mike

bamboo7

Originally posted by mlnance
Personally speaking, I went to Animal Kingdom when it first opened and I really wasn't impressed. An animal park is just not my thing. I know they have expanded a lot of it now, added a lodge and such. If they are going to spend money on something they need to spend it on the following: bringing back World of Motion, Horizons, Mr. Toads Wild Ride, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, bringing back the old Universe of Energy (get rid of Ellen's Stupid Adventure) and skyride @ Magic Kingdom. I think it's ridiciulus to spend more money on AK. But, thats my opinion.
Mike

i don't see why you think money would be better spent bringing back un-popular attractions (some of which were just gotten-rid-of recently) instead of expanding a park that needs more attractions. you can't expect the parks to stay exactly how they were when you first visited them. if an attraction becomes un-popular or too expensive to maintain, it should not be kept simply because 'its always been here and i don't like change'.

jmarc63

The Monorail Is more than just a ride. I dont want to debate this right now, Just take a look at these websites and then tell me that.

Maybe the US is behind the curve but look at other countries. The Biggest problem is that Disney is moreprofit driven and not customer oriented like Walt would have done.

Walt disney once had a fight with the accountants he was charging 25 cents for the guide brocure and the guide was costing them 24 cents to produce. the accountants wanted to raise it to 30 or 40 cents to get some profit. Walt mused our profit will come from the Guests having on their coffee table and they have company over and see it it will intrest them in comming . He was relaying on free advertising as the profit. I think there forgetting that pholosophy

http://www.monorails.org/
http://www.monorails.org/tMspages/Links.html
http://www.lvnvmonorail.com/

MKCustodial

Re: Re: Re: Monorail petition campagin!!!!!!

Originally posted by jmarc63
The Monorail Is more than just a ride. I dont want to debate this right now, Just take a look at these websites and then tell me that.

Maybe the US is behind the curve but look at other countries. The Biggest problem is that Disney is moreprofit driven and not customer oriented like Walt would have done.

We can skip the money issue, let's say they had all funding possible for this project. After all the numbers Tyler and others have posted for all to read, can't you imagine the miles those monorail lines would be covering, and how ed Guests would get? Right now, it's already a nightmare to get in the monorail for MK early in the morning as much as it is during the night. And I'm talking not only as a Guest but as a Custodial CM who had to clean all the transportation spots at the end of the day before clocking out. The buses were always practically empty, followed by the ferries. The monorails were ALWAYS full.
Try to picture December 31st, 1999, and you'll see what Tyler means by nightmare if we had monorails going all over the place.

JLW11Hi

Re: Re: Re: Re: Monorail petition campagin!!!!!!

Try to picture December 31st, 1999, and you'll see what Tyler means by nightmare if we had monorails going all over the place.

Hey, I was at Downtown Disney that night!

(Sorry, just had to say that)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom