Monorail Expansion?

jmarc63

Originally posted by JLW11Hi
Hey, sorry to get of the subject, but how often and when do they have those monorail washing machines go by? I am guessing they do it at night, but it would be cool to see it go by.

It was around 1AM and I couldne sleep so I went for a rid and saw them cleaning

jmarc63

Originally posted by garyhoov
jmarc63,

Where did that info. come from? Since it said they would start in 2001, something is wrong. Either the report was false or it got delayed or cancelled. I have not heard anything about such bold plans, so if the report is true, the Disney Brass must be keeping very tight lipped.
[/QUOT

This is from steves transportation newes section under transportation on the home page

July 23 2000: Several tidbits revealed in recent reception at the Contemporary

Al Weiss gave a speech revealing the future of WDW to newly hired or promoted Cast:

New state of the art transportation system. Weiss stated "in two years,
we are committed to drastically reducing the number of buses required to
fulfill our internal transportation needs." He put the two year date on a
"transport system which will whisk guests from the airport to a new hub on
property in five minutes." High speed rail, the rumors have been around,
Weiss seems to lend credibility to this rumor here.
Weiss also revealed all resorts will be fitted with digital TV's, which
will have internet access and interactive capabilities.
The development of airport lounges and playzones for families traveling to
WDW, with access to dining reservations, park planning and a variety of other Disney services.

E]

This is what we have been pinning our hopes on for the last two years. where these other romors get stated I dont know but they were planning to do something at one point

jmarc63

Originally posted by garyhoov
jmarc63,

Where did that info. come from? Since it said they would start in 2001, something is wrong. Either the report was false or it got delayed or cancelled. I have not heard anything about such bold plans, so if the report is true, the Disney Brass must be keeping very tight lipped.

Heres the link to where I was this.

I have been on 15 sites that have some form of this rumor and different senarios and takes on the expansion.

I wish they would do the expansion but you guys are getting me to just give up on it.

with all these rummors we should have a seperate site just for the rumors of the monorail.

http://members.aol.com/usmalum/news.html

plpeters70

Just for fun, let's say they did decide to expand the monorail system at WDW, but in order to pay for it they've decided to once again charge guests for a Transportation Pass (like they do at the Tokyo Resort). How much would you all be willing to pay for such a pass, or would you be willing to pay?? Also, how much do you think the general public would be willing to pay?? Do you think hotel guests should be exempt from this charge??

Just for discussion, let's assume this new monorail is attached to every theme park, most hotels, and Downtown Disney. No Water Parks, Wide World of Sports, or Fort Wilderness. Plus, let's assume that all 4 theme parks are on 1 monorail loop -- how much would you be willing to pay for the priveledge of using such a system???

jmarc63

Originally posted by plpeters70
but in order to pay for it they've decided to once again charge guests for a Transportation Pass (like they do at the Tokyo Resort). /B]

They have never done that at WDW, or at the times I was there. I have never heard of this happening at WDW

plpeters70

Originally posted by jmarc63

They have never done that at WDW, or at the times I was there. I have never heard of this happening at WDW

Actually, in the early days of WDW, you used to have to by a Transportation Ticket for the Monorails and Ferries. I'm not exactly sure when they stopped this practice, but I think it was shortly before EPCOT Center was built.

plpeters70

Now that I think about it more, I think they stopped the Transportation Tickets around the same time that they eliminated the Ticket Books for the rides at the MK. They probably just added the cost of the monorail pass into the price of a 1-day ticket.

jmarc63

Actually, in the early days of WDW, you used to have to by a Transportation Ticket for the Monorails and Ferries. I'm not exactly sure when they stopped this practice, but I think it was shortly before EPCOT Center was built.

Maybe they did this for the day visitors, Since we were staying at the contempoary at christmas 71-76 and took the monorail every where there was to go you had to show your resort ID card to get on the monorail, since that was the main transportation in the beginning, I dont recall taking the ferry in the early years since there wasn't a need to. I do remember once some day visitors wanted to take the resort loop to the hotels and they wouldn't let them on because they didn't have a resort ID

Then in 77 we started staying at the Buens vista Villas and that was my first experience with the busses, and they used little mini coaches then, and all we had to do to ride was shoe our resort ID as well.

jmarc63

Now that I think about it more, I think they stopped the Transportation Tickets around the same time that they eliminated the Ticket Books for the rides at the MK. They probably just added the cost of the monorail pass into the price of a 1-day ticket.

That probably sounds right since they probably put a transportation ticket in the books. I know there were diffrent ticket books for resort guests and day visitors as we refered to them then. The books we bought at the resort ticket booths had three- four- and five Magic Kingdom entrance tickets since we were for 14 days we usually had to buy three books for all of us and ude them the next year of the ones we didnt use.

FYI when Disney used the ticket books for the attractions there were a "Juniors" series of books priced between child and adult

I think the age for then started at 12 and I know they went to 17 since i was 17 years old the last year I went with my parents in 79 and I was still considered a Junior then. When they did away with the books they did away with the juniors.

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by JLW11Hi
cool! did you get a picture? Ok, not everyone has a camera ready at 1 am. :p

I'm ALWAYS up at 1 am! :D If I ever get to go back to the world again I'll make sure and take some pics! :)

DBF John

FYI

Had to buy this when E.P.C.O.T opened, to take the ride up to TTC and back.

Attachments

• wdwtrans.jpg
    wdwtrans.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 196

DBF John

jmarc63

No Im a Florida Res. I live in Daytona Beach. I went to EPCOT opening day and had to by the transport ticket, but didnt go back for more that 10 years, so I cant really say when they stop selling them.

plpeters70

Which probably means that guests of the WDW hotels didn't have to pay for Transportation - it was probably one of the "perks" for staying on-property.

Hmmm, maybe they should go back to charging for Transportation again. I know I personally would mind paying 5 or 6 bucks for a monorail system that had access to all 4 parks -- it would sure make park hopping a lot easier!! :cool:

jmarc63

Re: jmarc63

Originally posted by DBF John
No Im a Florida Res. I live in Daytona Beach. I went to EPCOT opening day and had to by the transport ticket, but didnt go back for more that 10 years, so I cant really say when they stop selling them.
DBF John

It may have been a new charge for epcot line. since you ticket S/N is 0404 and S/N usually started at 100 this was probably started on opening of Epcot

leebier

Busses... good and bad

Ok, I have a couple things to say about the buses...

1) I was very impressed by Disney Transportation.
We spent 6 days at Disney at the end of May and just about every experience with the buses was a positive one. We rarely had to wait long to get a bus. The only real long wait was leaving the Magic Kingdom after the fireworks, but the busses kept coming steadily, there were just a whole ton of people.

Other than that, and a couple scary drivers (we had one bus that was leaning WAYYYYYY too much around the turns, very scary) who wanted to finish up their night shift, I have nothing but good things to say.

In fact, I would say I became most impressed by the bus system when something went wrong. On the morning we were going to MGM we just missed a bus leaving the hotel. It was hot and we waited and waited. 22 minutes later a Disney Transportation van pulled up and a lady got out, before anyone could even complain to her she said "we know you've been waiting 22 minutes, we've been tracking it." She explained that the bus on the route was not responding on the radio and was essentially lost (I still wanna know what happened to this bus, it was like the last week of May from ASM to MGM if anyone out there would know) and a special bus was on the way. No more than 5 minutes later, the new bus was there and we were (only somewhat belatedly) on our way to MGM.

Stupid drivers or bad equipment happens to every company everywhere, and I was seriously impressed by Disney's ability to diagnose and solve the problem quickly.

2) Busses hopefully aren't the answer forever. There is nothign glamourous about a bus. I LOVVVEED the monorail growing up and forced my friends to take the EPCOT loop just because I couldn't go to WDW without riding the monoral. But as a business student, I also understand how a monorail expansion isn't the answer either. I know that for now, I can live with the buses, as long as I believe that Disney wants to and will do something better as soon as a new, viable technology comes around. (i.e. I don't mind taking a bus next year, but 10 years from now, it would irritate me)

Just my 2 cents for now.

Love this discussion, I stayed up two hours later than i meant to last night and had a very tired day at work just because I had to read all 16 pages!

Lee

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom