Monorail Expansion?

no2apprentice

Originally posted by garyhoov

Valid point (though nuclear, hydroelectric, solar, wind etc. can't be forgotten) and important to remeber when we are concerned with saving the planet. However, when it comes to a cleaner Disney experience, I would selfishly prefer to have my pollution elsewhere.

Since the pollution thing keeps coming up, I just had to post this about wind energy...

I heard on the radio several months ago that an area of wind turbines were shut down in California, in the hills east of San Francisco. The reason? Animal rights activists were complaining that too many birds were being killed by the rotating blades.

Back to the monorail issue, maybe it would help with the busses if Disney themed them better. Better artwork on the exterior and interior...maybe put in some small LCD screens on the buses playing highlights from the Disney movie classics...that would at least keep kids entertained during the ride...and some of the adults, too!

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by no2apprentice

Since the pollution thing keeps coming up, I just had to post this about wind energy...

I heard on the radio several months ago that an area of wind turbines were shut down in California, in the hills east of San Francisco. The reason? Animal rights activists were complaining that too many birds were being killed by the rotating blades.

Back to the monorail issue, maybe it would help with the busses if Disney themed them better. Better artwork on the exterior and interior...maybe put in some small LCD screens on the buses playing highlights from the Disney movie classics...that would at least keep kids entertained during the ride...and some of the adults, too!

I would LOVE to see a couple of screens in every bus maybe "telling the stories of the attractions" of the certain parks you are going to.

Like, an overview of the Haunted Mansion storyline for the Magic Kingdom (as an example)

The reasoning behind the "Land" and "Spaceship Earth" for Epcot

The Tower of Terror storyline in MGM

The whole fiasco between the Dino Institute and Chester and Hester (would DEFINITELY HELP IN THIS CASE!)

no2apprentice

Informational videos about the attractions would be good, but I was thinking something more along the lines that would keep the attention of people under the age of 10 (both physically and mentally). To me, kids are kids, and will act like kids. But I keep seeing comments about the "screaming kids" on busses and thought this might help.

Besides, I'd like to see something just to keep ME entertained!:lol:

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
I've noticed that McDonald's is installing video screens with news clips to keep people occupied in line. It's an interesting idea with possibly broader applications than just the buses.

One concern I have is that I have had some very entertaining bus drivers and I would hate to lose that "human touch". Maybe the ideal system would integrate the driver with the video presentation. Maybe a "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" type trivia game with some Disney theming.

I may be getting a bit out there, and safety issues could be a concern, but I can imagine something like this making the bus trip like a ride or attraction of its own.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
As an illustration of my last idea, most of you have probably seen the pre-show at Sea World for Shamu. The activity of thinking about the questions seems to keep kids much more "tuned in" than simply running video footage. Disney would have to create many, many hours worth of questions to keep things from getting repetitive.

If they use Disney Trivia questions (they could pull some right out of the board game) they would not only keep people occupied, but get them psyched for the park. I've seen some bus drivers do variations of this, but a more organized and visual approach may take some of the pressure off drivers who aren't as outgoing.

no2apprentice

The could put a second CM on the bus to host the activities. Don't know how well this would go over at the end of a long day at MK or EPCOT.

But, that would double the personnel costs for the busses, and personnel costs always run about 70 to 80 percent of an operation budget. Back to the money issue, again.

plpeters70

I may be getting a bit out there, and safety issues could be a concern, but I can imagine something like this making the bus trip like a ride or attraction of its own.

Interesting idea, but I think I would rather have the driver concentrate on the road. I don't know about the rest of you, but the last time I took a Disney Bus from the TTC to MGM I didn't feel particularly safe. There's just something about standing in a crowded bus zooming down World Drive with cars zooming around you that tends to make me a little nervous. :eek:

No offense to any bus drivers on here - I'm sure you're all great drivers, but it's the other tourists on the WDW roads that make me nervous. At least on the monorail I don't have to worry about getting into accidents with other cars!! :)

Invero

Originally posted by Monorail Lime
As far as I can tell they are totally automated. Like the regular Japanese trains, there are musical tones that let you know the doors are about to close. If something is obstructing the door it opens a little but quickly tries to slam again... no holding it for your party!

Over here, we even have a verbal message... in two languages... to warn guests that the doors are about to close. I always joked around with my fellow cast members, telling them that I translated the spanish part, and it translated to, "Please change cars while the doors are closing" because at least 5 times a day, we'd press the door close button, and someone would leap out, and try and get into another car, only to have the door close on them, and they be trapped on the platform, separated from thier party. Now of course, I'd have two choices here... Dispatch the train, and have the guest yell at me, blaming me for separating them... or opening the door, letting them back in, causing a large delay, and now having all the guests building up on the platform angry with me for not letting them onto the train.

Give me some time, I'm working on it :) I'm not quite sure about video screens... however, audio such as music or whatnot might be a possibility. The only argument that I could forsee (aside from $$$) would be safety, in that it would distract the driver and he/she wouldnt be able to listen to thier radio. Then again, half the drivers turn off the radio, and a screaming kid is more distracting.

As for theming of the exteriors... personally, I would LOVE to see Disney wrap thier busses with artwork from various Disney movies and/or attractions. I mean, think about it... your 10yr old son... which bus would he rather ride... the standard Disney Transport bus, or the BUZZ LIGHTYEAR bus? The only issue that I can think of that might be a problem (but not really that big of one) might be kids requesting certain busses. *shrug* (Oh, and aside from money of course)

But at any rate, that is on one of my lists of "Things To Do" while here at Disney Transport. I'm currently in the process of trying to join one of the operational improvement committees, but of course, things aren't quite organized yet.

One concern I have is that I have had some very entertaining bus drivers and I would hate to lose that "human touch".
Indeed!! We do have many bus drivers (myself included) who are quite entertaining. I know some bus drivers sing, do trivia, tell jokes, and other things to keep people amused. However, what I would like to see would be a "Talking Bus" system installed. This system would be for those drivers who aren't talkative... It's basically similar to the Monorails announcement system. It provides pre-recorded safety and destination information. It can also be adapted to play music and whatnot I beleive.

Originally posted by plpeters70
Interesting idea, but I think I would rather have the driver concentrate on the road. No offense to any bus drivers on here - I'm sure you're all great drivers, but it's the other tourists on the WDW roads that make me nervous.

I totally agree with you. I always joke around about it... My opening safety speil goes something like this: "Good evening ladies and gentlemen, and welcome aboard your last thrill ride of the night. We are a high speed turbulent thrill ride subject to sharp turns and sudden stops, because there are lots of crazy tourists out there who have NO clue what they're doing. So if you're standing, hold on for dear life. Those of you seated, you think you have it good, right? Guess again... you're going to be the ones they fall on!"

One of the things about the RTS bus that I like, is that I'm high up, so I can see further ahead. I also know areas that are infamous for tourist's to do strange things at. When you drive those roads on a daily basis... 75% of the time, you can predict what's going to happen. I Know when they're going to try and dart out in front of me... try and pass me in a merge (and ultimatly end up in the dirt... they forget, I'm bigger.) or when they're going to try and make an illegal (and dangerous) U-Turn. Of course... there's always the crazy one that does something different, like the Checker Cab that went through a red light, and down the wrong way of a one way street.

JLW11Hi

Thats why bus-only lanes are nice. I would have to agree with the lcd screens in busses! Mabey they coudn't afford to put them in all of the buses. Would it be bad if they just tried it out in a couple busses first? I don't think it would distract bus drivers too much, I just got back from a trip overseas, (which included a LOT of bus riding, by the way), and most of our "coaches" had tvs inside them. We watched a few movies, and the volume was kept to a minimum for those who didn't want to watch it.

Mabey the tvs in the Disney buses could show the same channels on the in room tvs at the resorts? You know, the "Zip a dee do dah Day" stuff. I always thought they could have attraction info clips liek you were talking about on the in room tvs.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Have 1 massive carpark at the main gate give everyone a bike, or one of those family things.and they can cycle. On site guests get theirs at their resort
Result no pollution, fewer bellies, and the mono rail could become a true attraction.
Bus crews could be retrained to be like rikshaw boys (oops) person in the far east.

goofyguy

Originally posted by Fantasia Boi

I totally agree with you. I always joke around about it... My opening safety speil goes something like this: "Good evening ladies and gentlemen, and welcome aboard your last thrill ride of the night. We are a high speed turbulent thrill ride subject to sharp turns and sudden stops, because there are lots of crazy tourists out there who have NO clue what they're doing. So if you're standing, hold on for dear life. Those of you seated, you think you have it good, right? Guess again... you're going to be the ones they fall on!"

Hey, I've heard that. I may have ridden your bus. Or is that a pretty standard speech from the more lively drivers? :D

jmarc63

Originally posted by JLW11Hi
Mabey the tvs in the Disney buses could show the same channels on the in room tvs at the resorts? You know, the "Zip a dee do dah Day" stuff. I always thought they could have attraction info clips liek you were talking about on the in room tvs.

That would increase the cost of each intallation. A UHF antenna would have to be intallled on each bus and would have to have a fairly unobstructed site to the antenna to that you had a clear picture with out snow. Or a sat dish with a tracking system to be in the line of site of the the Broadcasting antenna or sat downlink and thoes devices are pricy. a

also I belive that the TV stations are received by dish to each resort and distrubited thru a very large inhouse cable system to each room.

so having live broadcasting on each bus would be impractile from a cost stand point. Generaly the bussess that have onboard video usually have a laser disc or more recently use DVD to supply video to each monitor. Possible put pricy

cymbaldiva

Man have I missed a bunch on this thread...when I'm at WDW I'm so thrilled to be there that the busses don't bug me much! I'm just happy to be there riding them! :D

jmarc63

I strongly believe that this issue is the key to the future of the Disney Parks. When Michael Eisner took control, he "revolutionized" the Disney theme parks by injecting energy into really doing the things Walt always wanted.

With a focus on architecture, cleanliness, efficiency, customer service, Disney showed everyone else how it should be done. For a while, one of the best parts of going to Disney world was seeing how good things could be. For the past 10 years, Disney's competitors have been learning and catching up, and Disney no longer stands as the leader. Unless Disney does something soon to re-establish its leadership role, many visitors will realize that the "Disney Experience" is mostly talk, and, in reality, Disney world is just a collection of amusement parks.

Walt was always fascinated by the future and transportation. I personally feel he would be appalled to see that people are lining up for loud, crowded, pollution spewing buses when much more interesting transportation models are popping up all over the world. At the very least, Disney could buy some Fuel Cell powered buses (does anyone know if this has even been discussed?).

Well, that's enough of my rant for now, but I am curious if others share my views or I am off base. Here are some interesting links to transportation web sites:

Innovative Trasnportation Technologies

Megarail

Monorail Society

APM Technologies

I totaly agree with you Garyhoov.
They have lost sight of what made Disney the leader in the theam park/Resort industry and Without Disney some one else probably would have been the first and wouldn't have set a standard as good as Walt did. These parks would have been all rollercoasters and not much else .

I don't go to Six flags or Paramont Parks because they ARE mostly a collection of rollercoasters and I have an Inner Ear condition that causes me to get Motion sickness and with out disney I probably wouldn't have ever visited an amusement park ever. I have been on every ride except the rollercoaster/thrill type and thank god for Disney in that respect.

But your right, they used to clean, replace and paint things that were not up to the strictes standards somewhwere every night in the begining. Now I see that they don't do that as they should.

One thing I was supprised to see when I was there in 93 that they have a machine that rides the Monorail Beam and steam cleaned the carbon and other dirt form the track. unfortunatly since they turn off the power to the buss bar it runs on gasoilne

Invero

Originally posted by jmarc63
But your right, they used to clean, replace and paint things that were not up to the strictes standards somewhwere every night in the begining. Now I see that they don't do that as they should.

*sigh* So true... :( :( I can't tell you how many YEARS we have been fighting to get the Magic Kingdom Monorail Station rebuilt. The thing is falling apart. I swear, the only thing holding that up is the 10 layers of mismatched paint. Lots of rust, and rotted wood in plain sight of guests. Not to mention the peeling paint, and all the dirt and grime. I asked one of my managers to see if we couldn't get someone to thoroughly clean it... (Right now, all they do is pressure wash the floor) He checked into it, and custodial told them, "Sorry... Can't do it. We don't have a bid line for that." I couldn't beleive it. We had to beg and plead, and finally we got someone up to semi-clean part of it.

It would seem as if the standard at Disney has become "Acceptable" instead of what it should be... "Exceptional."

But not to fear... I am doing everything in my power to try and change that... for Disney Transport and Busses at least.

Originally posted by jmarc63
One thing I was supprised to see when I was there in 93 that they have a machine that rides the Monorail Beam and steam cleaned the carbon and other dirt form the track. unfortunatly since they turn off the power to the buss bar it runs on gasoilne

Indeed, they're in the process of doing that again. It's amazing how clean the beams are now! :) The work tractor that does that is Diesel powered. The reason being is that because people are working so close to the monorail beam, they have to turn off the power. In addition to performing maintenance on the beam, it's also used to tow the trains when they break down...

CmdrTostada

Diesel isnt that bad. What comes out of the exhaust is just dirt. Its better than carbon monoxide. My science teacher actually tried to convince me that diesel is worse for the environment. He pretty much said because it looks dirty its worse for the environment.

jmarc63

Originally posted by Fantasia Boi

*sigh* So true... :( :( I can't tell you how many YEARS we have been fighting to get the Magic Kingdom Monorail Station rebuilt. The thing is falling apart. I swear, the only thing holding that up is the 10 layers of mismatched paint. Lots of rust, and rotted wood in plain sight of guests. Not to mention the peeling paint, and all the dirt and grime. I asked one of my managers to see if we couldn't get someone to thoroughly clean it... (Right now, all they do is pressure wash the floor) He checked into it, and custodial told them, "Sorry... Can't do it. We don't have a bid line for that." I couldn't beleive it. We had to beg and plead, and finally we got someone up to semi-clean part of it.

Boy... Fantasia Boi That really saddens me to see this in writing of the less than Exceptional up keep. If this continues then these parks will wind up looking likw the parks Walt saw when he came up with Disneyland and WDW ideas, and for anyone who knows of walts disdane for these parks he took sharon and Diane to as kids , THIS IS NOT WHAT HE WANTED TO HAVE HIS GUESTS TO HAVE TO ENDURE. They were rat traps so to speak. and i dont want to see WDW turn out this way. In fact if i have to I would let eisner know any way I could it would be like my " Mission from God" like Jake in the Blues Brothers.

It would seem as if the standard at Disney has become "Acceptable" instead of what it should be... "Exceptional."

But not to fear... I am doing everything in my power to try and change that... for Disney Transport and Busses at least.

If you need any help please feel free to contact me on this, I have been upset on this Issue for a long time . even more so because I'm a Stockholder and not the average guest

Indeed, they're in the process of doing that again. It's amazing how clean the beams are now! :) The work tractor that does that is Diesel powered. The reason being is that because people are working so close to the monorail beam, they have to turn off the power. In addition to performing maintenance on the beam, it's also used to tow the trains when they break down...

How often do they clean the Monorail Beam, I assumed from my trip that they did it weekly or monthly, Oh and thanks for the 411 on the deisel fuel part, and i thought they deenergized the Buss Bar was because of the cleaning prossess and not because the operator is almost stradeling the beam.

BTW how long have they had that cleaning tractor and is it homemade in the shops behind MK

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom