Monorail Accident

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Maybe because an innocent young man died on Big Thunder Mountain at Disneyland because of poor maintenance only a few short years ago?
Let`s not perhaps point to maintainence until more facts are available. It could be one or a combination of several things.

So nobody should have taped 9/11 either by this logic

And that's exactly why the videos of people jumping are so controversial. The videos of the buildings collapsing don't show people.

This guy recording this would have gotten an up close shot of a dead body, thank god the CM told him to go away.

Lee

Adventurer
For what it's worth....I now have reason to believe that the scenario of Pink backing up into Purple is quite possibly not correct at all.
Not at liberty to say more....but I wouldn't keep taking that as a given at all.

jakeman

...I also want to make sure that the true cause is properly investigated to make sure this tragedy doesn't happen again.
You should definitely be able to accomplish this goal by nerdraging on an unoffical Walt Disney World fan forum.

There are plusses and minuses to having the actual accident recorded. However, not many of the plusses involve public consumption of the video.

In reality, what do we benfit from seeing the video of the actual crash except our morbid curiosity fulfilled?

It's not 9/11 or the autrocities of war, or anything of remote historical significance. It is the last moments of a young cast member's life due to a tragic accident.

Main Street USA

While I am with you and would likely react the same way as you, I can't expect a person to react as I would, especially in a place with a clientele as varied and diverse as WDW.

How do we know the person isn't from a country that assisting in this would make him an accessory to the incident? Or from a country where this would be covered up by the government and the truth would not be known?

We don't know that.

I would be right beside you trying to help, but not everyone is like that. I don't fault them for it. They're not doing anything wrong, they're just different.
While I understand people react in different ways, and also that people are from different cultures, I just can't wrap my head around a brain that puts things in that order. Help? No. Video? Yes!

Anyway, it's a shame this individual lost his life this morning. Not something you want to hear happened anywhere, much less Disney World.

jt04

Let`s not perhaps point to maintainence until more facts are available. It could be one or a combination of several things.

Exactly. A proper investigation needs to take place so this never happens again. As bad as it is, it could have been far far worse as someone mentioned.

majortom1981

Why should someone be allowed to video a person's tragic death? How is this BS. This was not an attempt to protect Disney, you numbskull. This was an attempt to prevent someone's death from being posted on Youtube. Who wants their family member's death videotaped by some tourist. Like this video camera wielding tourist should, you too should have a heart.

Well these videos can actually help the investigation. It gives solid proof as to how the scene was right after the accident. It shouldnt be posted on you tube but the person has every right top video tape it.

Video taping and posting it on you tube are two totally different things.

The Conundrum

For what it's worth....I now have reason to believe that the scenario of Pink backing up into Purple is quite possibly not correct at all.
Not at liberty to say more....but I wouldn't keep taking that as a given at all.

Well theres only 2 possible scenarios:

1-Pink crashed into purple

2-Purple went in reverse and crashed into pink

HMF

If I were a 5-9 year old kid and I was in that monorail and heard what happened and was herded out I would thinkthat I would have some serious emotional problems from that point on.

janoimagine

Video from immediatly after the crash courtesy of LP:

While this is a tragedy I think its BS that the castmember tried to block the guy from taking video footage. He had every right to tape and document the incident. It's not like he was standing in the way or anything.

You just don't get it do you? This video has been blocked by the moderators of this site for good reason. You think it's BS that the cast member blocked a camera man? Come on, use your head, what if it had been a friend or family member of yours in that mangled cockpit? Would you want someone walking up and videotaping the whole thing? If the guy had any sense or morals at all he would have put down the camera and offered to help out, instead of trying to get footage to sell to CNN, it's called doing the right thing. This is a tragic accident, a person has died here bud so please, and I know it's hard for you, keep the idiocy to a minimum out of respect for the family and friends of the victim.

The Conundrum

Hi guys,

I'm a former Mark VI railie, and I stay in touch with a fair number of folks in the department. Here's what I've heard. I'm going to stress that it's what I've heard, and I can't represent this as absolute fact. Take that for what it's worth.

The short, short version is that Monorail Central cleared Monorail Pink in reverse into the Concourse (the Epcot side of the TTC) station without being aware that Monorail Purple was still in the station. Pink was cleared with MAPO override, meaning that the driver would have disabled the anti-collision system (there are a variety of legitimate reasons for doing this), and would have been acting on faith that Central wouldn't have cleared him into a dangerous situation because it sometimes is difficult to see everything you'd want to in the cab mirrors, particularly at night on a curve such as the one he was backing along. For whatever reason, Purple just sat in the station without attempting to avoid the accident, and was struck by Pink moving at the full 15 mph allowed during MAPO override. From what I understand, the driver of Purple was a new transfer from another department. Why Central would not have made sure the station was clear before moving any trains is a bit of a mystery, but I've heard that no one was actually in the control console (the control tower-looking place at Concourse) at the time. To my knowledge, there were no electrical or mechanical problems in play here. Again, I have to stress that I'm relating what I've heard, and I was not there. This is a second-hand account from others more familiar with the situation.

From Miceage

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom