Monorail Accident

Austin1

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends. Today is going to be a very difficult day at Disney.

I know it's a little early, and I don't mean to be insensitive by asking this, but what does this mean for the future of the WDW monorail system?

I would personally like to see the monorails become more automated. Doesn't the tokyo monorail system drive itself? I don't know if that's necessarily what we need in FL, but obviously something needs to change.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
That being established, is it possible that Pink was supposed to be moving over to Express and, instead, backed right down EPCOT, hitting Purple as it was unloading?

Or the other way around, purple backing into pink?

As far as the video goes:

We (admins. and moderators) at WDWMagic have decided that we don't want the post-crash video posted here. It IS out there in many places if you want to see it.

It is my opinion that if the video could be helpful to the proper authorities then it should have been forwarded to them instead of posted on the internet. :shrug:

I hope that our decision can be respected even by those of you who don't agree with it. Thank you.

Main Street USA

I disagree Zac. The person who took the video is akin to the people who took videos in Iran over the past few weeks, the person who took the video of the San Francisco BART shooting, and the countless 9/11 aftermath videos. (granted, this event, while tragic, is of nowhere near the magnitude of the others)

The truth, no matter how painful it is, needs to be seen. To deny it or try and hide it is morally wrong, not sharing it on a public forum. That's why I will share the link with those who asked me via PM.

However, as this site is not mine, I have respected the admins wishes, and not posted the video.
Rob, my point in saying they were wrong to take the video only stems from the fact that the better thing to do in this situation is try to help, rather than say to yourself..."I gotta capture this on video!"

The moral thing to do is to try to help, and while I understand what you're saying, I'll simply never be the guy standing by and watching, and I can't understand how anyone can be that person just STANDING there with a video camera, doing nothing, and feel good about themselves.

SirGoofy

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends. Today is going to be a very difficult day at Disney.

I know it's a little early, and I don't mean to be insensitive by asking this, but what does this mean for the future of the WDW monorail system?

I would personally like to see the monorails become more automated. Doesn't the tokyo monorail system drive itself? I don't know if that's necessarily what we need in FL, but obviously something needs to change.

For all intents and purposes, the monorail does drive itself. The operators honestly don't do a ton of work other than slowing/speeding up at certain points.

Plus, Disney wants to provide the opportunity for guests to sit in the cockpit with a human driver.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I'll simply never be the guy standing by and watching, and I can't understand how anyone can be that person just STANDING there with a video camera, doing nothing, and feel good about themselves.

While I am with you and would likely react the same way as you, I can't expect a person to react as I would, especially in a place with a clientele as varied and diverse as WDW.

How do we know the person isn't from a country that assisting in this would make him an accessory to the incident? Or from a country where this would be covered up by the government and the truth would not be known?

We don't know that.

I would be right beside you trying to help, but not everyone is like that. I don't fault them for it. They're not doing anything wrong, they're just different.

crxbrett

Very sad and shocked to hear that this happened. My thoughts go out to the CM's family. Hopefully the cause of this awful accident will eventually be confirmed and the appropriate safety measures are taken so that something like this does not ever happen again.

Disneyson 1

Oh gosh. This is horrible. May the driver's soul rest in peace, and I hope that the rest of the injured people have a fast and speedy recovery.

ccmuffin2

You keep saying "it could happen to anyone" as if you know the cause and don't believe the driver was at fault. I'm missing your point (as usual). Are you saying inexperience and/or irresponsibility could not be factors? :shrug:
This statement is not 100% true. I have been in the front with many drivers and chat and a few years ago we rode with a driver who had been a driver in Disneyland and was now working in WDW and he had been with the company for over 20 years he said.

MGMBoy

Or the other way around, purple backing into pink?

But, having seen the TTC this morning, there's no way Purple was "ahead" of Pink. As many trees and such as there are around there it would probably be very easy to backup and not realize where you are until way after the fact.

The Conundrum

Video deleted per WDWmagic's request

While this is a tragedy I think its BS that the castmember tried to block the guy from taking video footage. He had every right to tape and document the incident. It's not like he was standing in the way or anything.

CaptainJackNO

If they find out this was a case of poor maintenance on the monorails so help me Disney :mad:
The only Conundrum here is how you are still a member of this forum. A kid died, 21 years old. Could you respect the seriousness of the incident by avoiding grinding axes over an issue that has not been solved. How on earth can you speculate such a thing when parents lost their child? You are using a young kid's death as another reason to rail against WDW. If this is what you can come up with, why not just stay away from this thread?

The Conundrum

The only Conundrum here is how you are still a member of this forum. A kid died, 21 years old. Could you respect the seriousness of the incident by avoiding grinding axes over an issue that has not been solved. How on earth can you speculate such a thing when parents lost their child? You are using a young kid's death as another reason to rail against WDW. If this is what you can come up with, why not just stay away from this thread?

Maybe because an innocent young man died on Big Thunder Mountain at Disneyland because of poor maintenance only a few short years ago? Maybe you should read about that tragedy before trying to make me look like the bad guy and distract from the real issue.

My prayers go out to the child and his family but I also want to make sure that the true cause is properly investigated to make sure this tragedy doesn't happen again.

CaptainJackNO

Video from immediatly after the crash courtesy of LP:

While this is a tragedy I think its BS that the castmember tried to block the guy from taking video footage. He had every right to tape and document the incident. It's not like he was standing in the way or anything.
Why should someone be allowed to video a person's tragic death? How is this BS. This was not an attempt to protect Disney, you numbskull. This was an attempt to prevent someone's death from being posted on Youtube. Who wants their family member's death videotaped by some tourist. Like this video camera wielding tourist should, you too should have a heart.

The Conundrum

Why should someone be allowed to video a person's tragic death? How is this BS. This was not an attempt to protect Disney, you numbskull. This was an attempt to prevent someone's death from being posted on Youtube. Who wants their family member's death videotaped by some tourist. Like this video camera wielding tourist should, you too should have a heart.

So nobody should have taped 9/11 either by this logic

CaptainJackNO

Maybe because an innocent young man died on Big Thunder Mountain at Disneyland because of poor maintenance only a few short years ago? Maybe you should read about that tragedy before trying to make me look like the bad guy and distract from the real issue.

My prayers go out to the child and his family but I also want to make sure that the true cause is properly investigated to make sure this tragedy doesn't happen again.
The real issue is that no one knows what happened. Also, I understand the BTMRR concern, but this accident, at this time, has as much to do with that accident as seeing someone carrying a football means they just won the superbowl. Take it easy, man.
As far as detracting from the issue, there is no issue, yet. Wait for the issue, if there is one.

Again, this issue has nothing to do with 9/11.

RetiredFRN

As a disney fan for many years I am truely saddened by the monorail accident this morning. I have actually read through all the posts and watched the video that was posted. As allways with human nature, many opinions have been voiced. It is natural to wonder what happened and lay blame at many different doors.
What we have to remember is not to jump to conclusions. My heart goes out to the driver and his family. As an EMS provider, he must have had devestating injuries to be pronounced at the scene. I know the video has caused some controversy but what I saw were everyday people jumping in to try and help someone they didn't know.
Lets hope that from a tragedy, Disney can learn from this and never let it happen again!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom