Monorail Accident

Main Street USA

It most certainly does.

I'm not questioning The Mom's decisions to remove the link but it provides clues as to what happened, and where.
Call me immoral but I may have photographed it as well, had I been there.
My point was that it shows nothing more than the pictures. It is still-shot video of the front cab with people reacting. It shows no evidence or cause any more than the pictures.

Pens24

this is awful news to hear about...my prayers our with the CM's member family and with the passengers who were injured

jchargu3

First and foremost this is both shocking and bewildering, I'm a 24 year old disney fan, that loves reading wdwmagic and so on.

My fascination with monorails began with my very first "nose ride" i was a young child the operator let me stand next to them and watch the systems and controls and everyting, I had to know more, I did tons and tons of research and even found things I probably shouldnt have found... I have yet to take the backlot tour of the garage but, maybe one day..

Anyway, in high school, one of my assignments in a tech class was accident prevention and safety systems for trains, we worked closely with CSX here in tampa to get some good info!

BUT I focused more on Disney and MAPO.

There is too much misinformation being thrown around, the only considerably correct one comes from the CM that chimed in a bit ago, PINK would have HAD to have slammed into purple, and here is why.

Physics.

Part of the accident prevention/aerodynamics was to test all sorts of materials, shapes and sizes on model railroad tracks (we were building throughout the school a complete replica of tampas rail system, but it got canned).

take two bullet shaped objects like the monorails, stop one dead in its tracks, send the other to the stationary one at speed, the one moving will always climb the stationary, especially with force behind it.

If purple would have hit pink, then purple would have climbed into the back of pink, but it's clearly shown that it is the other way around.

yes, MAPO Override is necessary in some situations, but from everything I pulled out, and looked at, and all the photos I have, and diagrams, etc, thre is no way this should have ever happened.

The trains should get updated consoles, with GPS locales, but I personally feel MAPO override should require more than a press of a button, while it is a hard button to push, ive seen it be used a few times for various things, but never should it have amounted to this

RIP Austin Wenneberg.:(

EpcotServo

It most certainly does.

I'm not questioning The Mom's decisions to remove the link but it provides clues as to what happened, and where.
Call me immoral but I may have photographed it as well, had I been there.

I agree. I don't necessarily condone the video, but historically ever since the invention of film, there's always a camera around when bad things happen. I'm not throwing any stones at anyone over it.

I DO get why the Mods don't want it posted, and uber-respect that, so let's stop talking about-as you can see it very easily if you so wish. Ok everybody?

"Blame it on the managers" is a very poor, but often used excuse.

I'm not blaming them specifically-or anyone really...Just want to point the very real possibility that a much wider, much deeper and far-spreading danger itself may be the cause. -Please, continue speculating as anyone so wishes.

Just want to get what I think on the record.

nyfrenchy

They were trying to get a reaction and you supplied it. You didn't have to respond as much as they didn't have to post it, IMO.

I was just trying to lighten up... Some people are seriously over reacting to the real video, which is by the way just one click away from the Orlando Sentinel article. It's not like you're seeing blood or anything like that.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
The person who took the video has very little to NO moral fiber, and I gotta say, linking to it isn't much better.

I disagree Zac. The person who took the video is akin to the people who took videos in Iran over the past few weeks, the person who took the video of the San Francisco BART shooting, and the countless 9/11 aftermath videos. (granted, this event, while tragic, is of nowhere near the magnitude of the others)

The truth, no matter how painful it is, needs to be seen. To deny it or try and hide it is morally wrong, not sharing it on a public forum. That's why I will share the link with those who asked me via PM.

However, as this site is not mine, I have respected the admins wishes, and not posted the video.

mikeymouse

Listen, genius. It's been deleted by moderators that DO "own" this forum....several times. That's all you need to know to know it doesn't belong here. Period.

And whether someone like you thinks so or not, it is VERY MUCH in bad taste to post that pointless video.

"genius"? "someone like me"? U don't know me. Make sure you tell CNN, ABC, CBS, and NBC your thoughts too who also have a/v of the scene. U act as if I actually posted the link or something.

EpcotServo

First and foremost this is both shocking and bewildering, I'm a 24 year old disney fan, that loves reading wdwmagic and so on.

My fascination with monorails began with my very first "nose ride" i was a young child the operator let me stand next to them and watch the systems and controls and everyting, I had to know more, I did tons and tons of research and even found things I probably shouldnt have found... I have yet to take the backlot tour of the garage but, maybe one day..

Anyway, in high school, one of my assignments in a tech class was accident prevention and safety systems for trains, we worked closely with CSX here in tampa to get some good info!

BUT I focused more on Disney and MAPO.

There is too much misinformation being thrown around, the only considerably correct one comes from the CM that chimed in a bit ago, PINK would have HAD to have slammed into purple, and here is why.

Physics.

Part of the accident prevention/aerodynamics was to test all sorts of materials, shapes and sizes on model railroad tracks (we were building throughout the school a complete replica of tampas rail system, but it got canned).

take two bullet shaped objects like the monorails, stop one dead in its tracks, send the other to the stationary one at speed, the one moving will always climb the stationary, especially with force behind it.

If purple would have hit pink, then purple would have climbed into the back of pink, but it's clearly shown that it is the other way around.

yes, MAPO Override is necessary in some situations, but from everything I pulled out, and looked at, and all the photos I have, and diagrams, etc, thre is no way this should have ever happened.

The trains should get updated consoles, with GPS locales, but I personally feel MAPO override should require more than a press of a button, while it is a hard button to push, ive seen it be used a few times for various things, but never should it have amounted to this

RIP Austin Wenneberg.:(

^ReQuoted so that it may be re-read if missed. Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Slipknot

I was just trying to lighten up... Some people are seriously over reacting to the real video, which is by the way just one click away from the Orlando Sentinel article. It's not like you're seeing blood or anything like that.

Still. Seems more people here are more worried about others posting videos and theories than the fact that a respected (hopefully) member here for years (ME!!!) worked with the CM who was killed last night. I don't understand the world and the way it thinks sometimes... :shrug:

Slipknot

That being established, is it possible that Pink was supposed to be moving over to Express and, instead, backed right down EPCOT, hitting Purple as it was unloading?

We won't know until the reports are made public. Everything else we read here and online is purely speculation...

EPCOT Explorer

No disrespect to anyone speculating, but is there ANY conclusive news here? I left for a bit and do not want to go through over 100 posts.

Anyway...Such a sad day, here. We are all kinda upset over the loss and tragedy aboard a Disney favorite.

SirGoofy

It's a sad day for the WDW cast. My thoughts and prayers go out to the CM's family and friends.

I'm not going to say anything else on this subject, other than I am dissappointed by some of the comments/posters I've read in this thread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom