Monorail Accident

Figments Friend

not sure if this has been reported but they are currently not allowing guests to ride in the cab.... probably less of a safety concern, and more of a 'don't want the pilots having to answer 50 million questions about the accident while driving' thing.

This was a smart move, as the last thing i would want to go through after such a terrible experience is to field questions from Guests related to the incident. Some people can ask the most inappropriate things , and not realize that they are doing so. I think everyone on Rails needs some breathing space to collect themselves this week after what happened, so this was a good move.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
I can't fathom what would have happened if those guests had been injured.

Sorry to be dry... but this is exactly what would happen:

There would be more dead, Disney would have opened themselves up for all kinds of additional liability (which Disney being Disney, they would try to get out of), and there would be a public relations nightmare on their hands (which would be multiplied when, not if, they try to get out of liability). They would suffer a a decrease in business which would be partially offset by promotions that they'd have to offer. They'd have to embark on a major goodwill PR tour in the US and selected overseas markets.

All of this would occur while Disney would be getting their sued off in court, since on a case like this, a plethora of attorneys would be willing to take this case pro-bono or on a contigency basis.

Then the WDW internet message boards would be in chatter about this, some jerk would call this suit frivolous, and a fight would ensue on the message boards which would end up with people banned and people leaving.

In short, lives would be lost, Disney would forcibly be changed, and the internet would continue being the internet.

disney9752

I have the deepest sympathy for the young man, his family & fellow cast members. Some good news, the initial report shows he did try to reverse purple to avoid the crash. :cry:

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Hi all, first let me preface by expressing my deepest condolences and sympathies to the family of the lost pilot and to the pilot of pink. One life has been lost and another one has been devastated and at this point that should be foremost on everyone minds.

Before I get to my point, I just wanted to say that I am a certified fire safety officer in the State of NJ. While it does not directly correlate with transportation incidents the overall fundamentals of: training, prevention and operations do have parallels.

Having said that, the most important thing to keep in mind is to please reserve judgment on safety practices until all the information is gathered and fully investigated. The NTSB and OSHA both will arrive at reports detailing what happened, what safety procedures worked, and what safety procedures ultimately failed these two individuals.

An important thing to establish, and is a core component of any safety training is that even though accidents happen, they are always avoidable. While the chain of events of the accident seems to have been nailed down, we still don't know what variable(s) broke down and allowed the accident to occur.

From what I've gathered by people on the boards, Disney Transportation (monorails) have an established proven system in place for training, operations, and communications. Early that morning something clearly failed and it lead to tragedy. Please know that even though a good system may be in place tragic accidents to still occur and they are all preventable.

Let me give you an example from the fire service that is analogous to this. The leading cause of death for firefighters is not fire or smoke, it is not even second, Number one is cardiac arrest, and number two are traffic accidents. For all of our training, drilling, practice, we have more LODDs (Line of Duty Deaths) because we for example didn't wear a seat belt. We are trained continuously yet these accident do happen, and they are painful and devastating to our brothers, families and friends.

Ultimately there will be good that comes out of this tragedy through means of new procedures, training, etc. that will hopefully prevent another death or injury on the monorail track and that will be part of the silver lining to this sad cloud.

-Andy

Figments Friend

Reading the initial report is heartbreaking....

...as now knowing Austin did INDEED try to reverse his train to avoid the impact makes it clear he was fully awake and aware of what was about to happen.

This is so upsetting...

:cry::cry:

Reading the initial report is heartbreaking....

...as now knowing Austin did INDEED try to reverse his train to avoid the impact makes it clear he was fully awake and aware of what was about to happen.

This is so upsetting...

:cry::cry:

This proves that he did try heroic acts to save the train the passengers and himself.

He died a TRUE hero in my book

Figments Friend

I agree totally Rob, it's just so sad for me to think of what Austin was going through in those final moments before impact...now knowing he was fully aware of the situation.

board57796

The feeling you get when you almost overrun (go past a holdpoint) and are about to get a RED is an awful feeling. I can't begin to imagine seeing that train coming towards him. He did everything he could to save his passengers. He could have jumped and lived. Instead he wanted to save his train and passengers, and died. Hero to me.

accord99cutie

Premium Member
If he had enough to time to get monorail purple to start reversing, why could he not radio to someone to let them know to E-stop pink? Its such a horrible horrible thing and I really feel for his family and friends and co-workers. May Austin RIP he seemed to be an amazing person and to know that he died doing what he loved, and created so much magic for so many families... just horrible...

board57796

If he had enough to time to get monorail purple to start reversing, why could he not radio to someone to let them know to E-stop pink? Its such a horrible horrible thing and I really feel for his family and friends and co-workers. May Austin RIP he seemed to be an amazing person and to know that he died doing what he loved, and created so much magic for so many families... just horrible...

I'm pretty sure that would have been his first reaction, but if anyone else was making a radio call at that time he would not have been able to get through. With up to 12 trains, 4 coordinators, Central, Shop, Managers using the same frequency, you can imagine it may be tough to call. My first thing I would have thought is to yell "PINK HIT YOUR ESTOP" into the radio and blared on my horn, maybe attracting one of the platform CMs attention, or the driver of Pink's.

JML42691

From my understanding the radio chatter works like your standard walkie-talkie system, where if one person is talking, you can't talk. So if somebody was active on the radio, then it is highly possible that he wasn't able to communicate. From this view I think that they should do some major upgrades to the communication system to a system that allows people to talk at the same time, my high school theatre had a communication system (Clear-Com) that allowed us to talk at the same time as others, which allows you to essentially tell somebody over the air to "shut-up" (as bad as it seems wording it this way) if they are talking and something is about to go wrong.

Now this is just my view and I am sure that there are several reasons why not to have it, and I am also sure that it is difficult to design over a system so large, but I think that they should have a 2-mode E-Stop system. I have no idea how they would go about designing this, but have 2 buttons, one that will E-Stop and brake your train, and a second button that when engaged will E-Stop all trains, on all lines, possibly shutting down power to the entire system (and have these buttons on more than just the trains, platform control stations as well). This way, if a driver of one train (or a CM on a platform) sees something catastrophic about to go wrong, instead of having to radio (which may be busy) and inform the correct person of the error, which would also include a reaction time, they could punch this button and have all trains immediately stop where they are. In this situation Austin could have hit this button and stopped pink immediately and have prevented the crash, rather than having to potentially wait for the radios to free up, communicate to the other driver, have the other driver react to the communication, and then stop their train.

I know that there are probably some major complications and cons to having a "kill-all" button, but it would have prevented something like this from happening.

accord99cutie

Premium Member
From my understanding the radio chatter works like your standard walkie-talkie system, where if one person is talking, you can't talk. So if somebody was active on the radio, then it is highly possible that he wasn't able to communicate. From this view I think that they should do some major upgrades to the communication system to a system that allows people to talk at the same time, my high school theatre had a communication system (Clear-Com) that allowed us to talk at the same time as others, which allows you to essentially tell somebody over the air to "shut-up" (as bad as it seems wording it this way) if they are talking and something is about to go wrong.

Now this is just my view and I am sure that there are several reasons why not to have it, and I am also sure that it is difficult to design over a system so large, but I think that they should have a 2-mode E-Stop system. I have no idea how they would go about designing this, but have 2 buttons, one that will E-Stop and brake your train, and a second button that when engaged will E-Stop all trains, on all lines, possibly shutting down power to the entire system (and have these buttons on more than just the trains, platform control stations as well). This way, if a driver of one train (or a CM on a platform) sees something catastrophic about to go wrong, instead of having to radio (which may be busy) and inform the correct person of the error, which would also include a reaction time, they could punch this button and have all trains immediately stop where they are. In this situation Austin could have hit this button and stopped pink immediately and have prevented the crash, rather than having to potentially wait for the radios to free up, communicate to the other driver, have the other driver react to the communication, and then stop their train.

I know that there are probably some major complications and cons to having a "kill-all" button, but it would have prevented something like this from happening.
Having a "kill all" switch on all trains im sure would be bad, the accidental hit would cause major problems Im sure, but with a situation like this, it could save lives... Im sure at that time of night there wouldnt be sooo many people trying to talk at once, but if he hit that 5 seconds of someone else talking, and then he just had to do what he could, just horrible...

TraceyC/FL

An important thing to establish, and is a core component of any safety training is that even though accidents happen, they are always avoidable. While the chain of events of the accident seems to have been nailed down, we still don't know what variable(s) broke down and allowed the accident to occur.

The LAPD Officiers that did my CHild Passenger Safety Training classes stated repeatedly, "There is no such thing as an "accident". There is a traffic collision cause by a reason."

The feeling you get when you almost overrun (go past a holdpoint) and are about to get a RED is an awful feeling (I've never overran, but I've cut it pretty close) and you remember it for a while. I can't begin to imagine seeing that train coming towards him. He did everything he could to save his passengers. He could have jumped and lived. Instead he wanted to save his train and passengers, and died. Hero to me.
Very much a hero.

JML42691

Having a "kill all" switch on all trains im sure would be bad, the accidental hit would cause major problems Im sure, but with a situation like this, it could save lives... Im sure at that time of night there wouldnt be sooo many people trying to talk at once, but if he hit that 5 seconds of someone else talking, and then he just had to do what he could, just horrible...
That is what I was thinking, and I know that there are obviously some huge problems and negative factors when it comes to implementing a kill-all switch, but there are obviously some situations when it would help, and save lives, such as this.

And accidental engaging of the switch would be something to worry about, but I am sure they could find a way to minimize the probability of it, whether designing it with a cover, like the "no-deal" button on the "deal or no deal" game show, something to help minimize accidental engaging while still making it easy to access and engage when needed.

Figments Friend

The feeling you get when you almost overrun (go past a holdpoint) and are about to get a RED is an awful feeling (I've never overran, but I've cut it pretty close) and you remember it for a while. I can't begin to imagine seeing that train coming towards him. He did everything he could to save his passengers. He could have jumped and lived. Instead he wanted to save his train and passengers, and died. Hero to me.

Yes, knowing he tried his best to protect the train and more importantly the passengers in the car behind him is truly a moving realization. Most people today seem to think only about themselves, and would have probably jumped.

Hero indeed...most definately.

:cry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom