Monorail Accident

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Reading back that last paragraph, I sound much colder than I intended. While I like the fact that people have put together a memorial for Austin (and I certainly believe that he deserves for people to remember him), I can't see Disney making a physical, permanent one simply because it would bring people out of the fantasy (even if only briefly) - they work very hard to make WDW a place for people to leave the real world behind for a while, so I can't see them doing something that would bring them back into that reality like that. Does that make sense?

Well there is a precedent actually, thought it was for one of Disney's ex-imagineers, ..Randy Pausch...he was the one who gave "The Last Lecture". Disney honored him with a sign in front of his favorite ride, Mad Hatter's Tea Party, with a quote of his:

http://thedisneyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/rp01-425.jpg

board57796

To clarify, we are talking about the MANAGER here (aka Monorail One on the radio), right? Do we know where Central was?

Since the Manager is not really (at least in my era) involved in the routine minute-to-minute running of the system, them being away from the system is probably irrelevant.

Someplace in this thread, somebody mentioned "Nextel". Is "Nextel" a manager and Central coordinator level only communication tool? Are the train and lead radios still the same basic repeater system as we had 25 years ago?

No all the trains have two Nextels, one primary and one for backup, as well as all Coordinators, Managers, Central and Shop. Everyone has the same style radio. The button to key the mic is under your thumb on the MCU (throttle control, shaped like a T, on the right of my avatar).

PhotoDave219

To clarify, we are talking about the MANAGER here (aka Monorail One on the radio), right? Do we know where Central was?

Since the Manager is not really (at least in my era) involved in the routine minute-to-minute running of the system, them being away from the system is probably irrelevant.

Someplace in this thread, somebody mentioned "Nextel". Is "Nextel" a manager and Central coordinator level only communication tool? Are the train and lead radios still the same basic repeater system as we had 25 years ago?

No, all Disney radios (the old Motorola ones) were replaced by Nextels. No, really. Consumer grade nextels.

And thanks for clearing up the bit about the manager. (Tho personally i think he's screwed.)

STGRhost

Correct. Central has a diagram of all beams and switches, which are colored Red or Green depending on if they have power. Shop's switch set up is a bit more complex, with video cameras, more detailed information about the switches, etc. Shop is in charge of throwing switches, Central gives them the instruction the train is in place, and Shop switches it and notifies Central when its complete.

Okay, then I was wrong about that part. Thank you for clarifying.

I still wonder how much time we're talking about between Pink being told he was ok to go and when anyone at Central could have known there was a problem. Seconds? Minutes? Enough time to stop it all from happening? I am honestly ignorant about how the monorails work (though I have learned a great deal from all of the information in this thread), so I still wonder if having someone physically in the booth could have helped in this situation.

board57796

Okay, then I was wrong about that part. Thank you for clarifying.

I still wonder how much time we're talking about between Pink being told he was ok to go and when anyone at Central could have known there was a problem. Seconds? Minutes? Enough time to stop it all from happening? I am honestly ignorant about how the monorails work (though I have learned a great deal from all of the information in this thread), so I still wonder if having someone physically in the booth could have helped in this situation.

Well, had someone been in the booth they would have gotten an alarm when the power was lost at Base Express, due to the switch movement. And if they did not hear that alarm, and shop called and said the switches were in place, Central would have just had to look at the computer to see the switches were not powered, and not in place.

MarkIV_railie

I want everyone who has posted to this thread who basically have said "If its not broke, don't fix it" to attend Austin's funeral and go up to his Mom and Dad and say, " Your son is the only fatality for 38 years of the Monorail. Not bad, huh??"
As one who typed the offending phrase, please let me clarify my comment. I was in NO WAY endorsing or approving of that attitude. I never said it personally regarding the monorails. What I meant to imply was that it was easy to see how the Company adopted that attitude, just as many individuals and companies and governments do in their lives. It doesn't make the attitude right or wrong, but you cannot deny that it does happen. To confirm, I meant it as no offense to anyone involved or reading. If I was able to attend the funeral, I would have.

STGRhost

Well, had someone been in the booth they would have gotten an alarm when the power was lost at Base Express, due to the switch movement. And if they did not hear that alarm, and shop called and said the switches were in place, Central would have just had to look at the computer to see the switches were not powered, and not in place.

Wow. Would pink already have been moving backwards at that point? Do you know how much time there would have been between Central realizing the switches didn't move and the time Pink made it to the station? I guess I'm still wondering what sort of difference Central being confined to the booth would have made in this particular event. Not that it matters...I imagine everyone involved is "What if?"ing more than I ever could. I really feel for all of them.

I need to stop reading this stuff. It's making me a little ill to think about it. It's just so sad! (I am not usually like this!)

board57796

Wow. Would pink already have been moving backwards at that point? Do you know how much time there would have been between Central realizing the switches didn't move and the time Pink made it to the station? I guess I'm still wondering what sort of difference Central being confined to the booth would have made in this particular event. Not that it matters...I imagine everyone involved is "What if?"ing more than I ever could. I really feel for all of them.

I need to stop reading this stuff. It's making me a little ill to think about it. It's just so sad! (I am not usually like this!)

Once Shop called Central and said "8 and 9, spur line with power" Central would have glanced at the screen and realized it wasnt, and Pink never would have been cleared to move by Central. But it takes about 45 seconds to a minute for a train at Pylon 30 to reverse to TTC

PhotoDave219

Actually there is a "Disney" way to memorialize someone. Give him a window on main street.

I know I'm gonna get flack for this .... but No.

Those are the opening credits for the show.

One of the Walk-around-the-World tiles seems more appropriate. There are a few memorial ones there, hidden for those who know. By the monorail track, on the path to MK from contemporary seems the most subtle and appropriate.

STGRhost

Once Shop called Central and said "8 and 9, spur line with power" Central would have glanced at the screen and realized it wasnt, and Pink never would have been cleared to move by Central. But it takes about 45 seconds to a minute for a train at Pylon 30 to reverse to TTC

Thanks, Board57796. I really appreciate you answering my questions and all the information you've given us (Even though I'm pretty sure I didn't want to hear that answer.)

So, it sounds like it keeps coming back to complacency, mostly? Everyone's doing the same job, day in and day out. It keeps working without incident, so everyone just assuming everything (mechanical and procedural) is operating the way it should. Central assumes Shop made the switch, Shop assumes the switch is made(?), Pink assumes Central is guiding him correctly... :(

deix15x8

Check out the backup (reverse) cameras on the Mark VII monorails:

http://www.monorails.org/tMspages/MarkVII2.html

They even have cameras in all the cars, so they can see whats going on there.

From the subtitle under the picture it sounds like the only difference between the setup from the old monorails to the new ones are the cameras. So that leads me to ask, if the WDW monorails fall in between those two generations why do they have such a small control center in comparison? It seems like they should be very similar in design but they are not. Also, when looking through the pages of that article it mentioned the front cab seating 5 while the back sat 7. Is Disneyland single direction only since it's a single loop while WDW requires full cabs at both ends because of the more advanced layout?

MarkIV_railie

So, the Rail's Manager on-duty was not on property, but was at a restaurant in LBV giving commands via radio? Are you kidding me? I could understand if he was on not in the Control Tower and was on the platform helping with guests, but to not even be on property? Wow.
According WFTV local news @ 11 PM, both the Manager (Monorail One) and the Central Coordinator were at a local Denny's restaurant at the time of the tragedy.

Isn't the Central Coordinator a costumed position? Meaning it is a violation to wear the costume off property or the Central Coordinator had already assumed he was done for the day and changed back to street clothes?

hardcard

I would need to know exactly what the Rail Manager does, what his responsibilities are, before going "Wow." But it does seem odd to a layman.

NTSB report finally shows that Purple was coming from EPCOT and had not yet reached TTC. So that family was coming from EPCOT station at 2am.

I was at the TTC today, and ANYONE who looks at the beam, knows EXACTLY where the impact was.. it is marked with scrubs, scratches, and the like.... Additionally, you can see tire marks on the top edge of the beam where the tire 'ground' into the concrete while pushing against monorail purple.....

The accident did NOT take place IN the station.. so what happened to get the train there so quickly? did they hav pink pull forward and it drug purple into the platform?

Poor austin, doesn't sound pleasent at all..

Cruiser237

As some have posted earlier...other monorails on the rails at the time of the accident were stopped and parked at their random locations on the rails overnight...how did they get the CM's down from the beams ? How long did they have to wait to be picked up? I wonder if they even knew what happened and why they were stopped..

lazyboy97o

Also, when looking through the pages of that article it mentioned the front cab seating 5 while the back sat 7. Is Disneyland single direction only since it's a single loop while WDW requires full cabs at both ends because of the more advanced layout?
Correct. The Disneyland Monorails can only be driven from Cab 1. The cameras were first installed temporarily during the construction of Disney's California Adventure because the monorails were operating in shuttle mode, going back and forth instead of a loop. The construction for the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage once again necessitating operating the monorails in shuttle mode. The upcoming Buena Vista Street project will also require shuttle mode operation.

There are also a cameras that replaced the side view mirrors.

sn't the Central Coordinator a costumed position? Meaning it is a violation to wear the costume off property or the Central Coordinator had already assumed he was done for the day and changed back to street clothes?
Costumes are no longer turned in at the end of every day. Cast Members may bring them home and even wear them in and out of work each day.

This is so very sad. My heart aches for Austin and his family... also for everyone who was involved in the situation.

I hope that with time we will all be able to heal the wounds and that Disney will be able to take steps to prevent a similar catastrophe. I also hope that we will not forget. For now, let us remember that God works in mysterious ways.

I know that Austin was taken from all of us for a reason and at the time God chose. He was so young but just think of how many people are affected by his death. It has shaken many, many people... and many, many people will carry Austin with them in their hearts for a long time. (How many threads do you think will be started about us when we pass?) Hopefully we will learn that our lives can end at any time and that we should make the most of every day and remember that every interaction we have with others could effect them deeply. Most of us did not know Austin personally if at all, but we still feel the loss. I did not know him but I now see a good young man; someone with a promising future and a kind heart. This is his legacy:

Live every day as if it were your last. Remember Austin.

I am an entertainment cast member at WDW. I never met Austin. I am completely affected by this. I understand what it is to have extended family at work. I feel just as if I have lost a member of my own Disney family. :(

board57796

What I am being told now is that, in fact, the rear car of Purple will be replacing the rear car of Pink, to create a new train. Also, there are apparantely serious talks from Directors of retiring Monorail Purple as a color.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom