MK Themed parties...ripping off regular customers?

MousDad

I'm not sure what forum you are referring to, but I remember the park (there was only 1 park back then, the MK) closing at 7 the majority of the time. The only time it was open until 11 or 12 was during the summer. It's only been since the 25th that the parks started closing later. For the most part the parties are held during off season times when the parks would have been closing early anyway.

I'm only going by what I've read. I've only been a park goer for about 5 years so I have no personal knowledge. I'm sure others who remember the 70s and 80s could comment.

yankspy

I'm only going by what I've read. I've only been a park goer for about 5 years so I have no personal knowledge. I'm sure others who remember the 70s and 80s could comment.
I did. I believe I remember Epcot being open later in the begining. I also seem to remember MK being open later as well. However, I am not certain and I was sure that someone here would have an old map or something that had park hours from that time frame.

scpergj

I don't mind P & P's, MNSSHP, or MVMCP, but I detest Grad nights.
I have the option of paying for & attending the first 3 parties, the latter, I do not.
Until Disney starts having "Elderly Adults who have reached retirement age" nights or "Parents whose children have finally moved out" nights, I don't think it's fair that kids who graduate from High School get a special night at The Magic Kingdom.
Sincerly,
A grouchy old man :animwink:

Hey, Grouchy Old Man!

Don't worry, this is the last year for Grad Night at the MK. Next year it is moving to the Studios. Since the Studios closes pretty regularly around 7, it won't upset too much, either!

scpergj

I did. I believe I remember Epcot being open later in the begining. I also seem to remember MK being open later as well. However, I am not certain and I was sure that someone here would have an old map or something that had park hours from that time frame.

I've been going since about 1972...

I don't remember EPCOT being open later, at least not on a regular basis. Also, while the MK was open until midnight AT TIMES, regular season weeknights it pretty regularly closed as early as 6pm.

yankspy

I've been going since about 1972...

I don't remember EPCOT being open later, at least not on a regular basis. Also, while the MK was open until midnight AT TIMES, regular season weeknights it pretty regularly closed as early as 6pm.
I feel a little silly because I searched for an hour or so looking for historical times and I finally found them on this site. While I am unable to say that it was on a regular basis, I found hours for Epcot being open til 10:00 or 11:00. I believe one was actually from January. As far as MK, the evidence is not so clear. The only thing I saw was that there was an 11:00 EP in July I believe, in 1989.Anyway, if you search the phrase, "old maps" on this site you will find it. You have to look at the entertainment guides that are posted because the guide maps do not show park hours. Well, at least we know that Epcot was open later during certain times.:)

Wilt Dasney

Wow...where should I start with this one???

Hmm...I can't afford a Ferrari, even though I'd like one. Maybe I should be compensated somehow? Maybe the dealer should give me a BMW instead??

I'd LOVE to be able to stay for a week in a Grand Villa, but I can't afford it. Maybe the company should compensate me somehow...yeah, I've got it...a week at the Poly for free!

Based on my reading here, I don't think those analogies fairly apply to the subject at hand, since the gripe isn't that the parties exist, but that they impede on what would be normal park hours for other guests.

To me, it'd be more like if you were told that half the lanes on the highway you drive to work were now reserved exclusively for people who drive Ferraris, or that you can rent a hotel room, but you'd have to stay out between certain hours because guests who paid for a Grand Villa are using your room as a smoking lounge.

Not that being kicked out of MK earlier than normal is at the same level of inconvenience as those (admittedly extreme) examples, but I don't think it's fair to label this gripe as class envy or whining when I see it more as annoyance at an imposition.

scpergj

Not that being kicked out of MK earlier than normal is at the same level of inconvenience as those (admittedly extreme) examples, but I don't think it's fair to label this gripe as class envy or whining when I see it more as annoyance at an imposition.

The gripe isn't the problem, either...it's the "we're entitled to something more" garbage. Look, the OP was saying they deserved compensation since the park closed at 7 instead of 9 or 10, not just that they didn't like the park closing early. The park hours are posted and available for everyone. If you don't like those hours, then go to a different park, or come back a different day.

BTW, the idea was to demonstrate absurdity by being absurd. My scenarios are just as absurd as the OP.

MousDad

I'm not sure what forum you are referring to, but I remember the park (there was only 1 park back then, the MK) closing at 7 the majority of the time. The only time it was open until 11 or 12 was during the summer. It's only been since the 25th that the parks started closing later. For the most part the parties are held during off season times when the parks would have been closing early anyway.

Sorry, I used the wrong term. I should have said "board." (not wdwmagic)

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
We are there so often, tho, that we just hop somewhere else and have our fun.

Despite your last post It would seem that your comments are based on the fact that party nights have no impact on you. given your location. Sadly many people who holiday at WDW lack that flexibility, and to be honest the number of "special" nights at the MK has become a joke.But hell your all right jack.

Based on previous visits I am getting fewer park hours than other trips at the same time of year but park tickets continue to rise in costs. E ride nights didnt cost anything like the partys.

This is just greed on Disneys part, and it shouldn't be dressed up in any other way.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Despite your last post It would seem that your comments are based on the fact that party nights have no impact on you. given your location. Sadly many people who holiday at WDW lack that flexibility, and to be honest the number of "special" nights at the MK has become a joke.But hell your all right jack.

Based on previous visits I am getting fewer park hours than other trips at the same time of year but park tickets continue to rise in costs. E ride nights didnt cost anything like the partys.

This is just greed on Disneys part, and it shouldn't be dressed up in any other way.

But with the dollar deflated like it is, you getting more bang for the buck. :ROFLOL:

Dwarful

I agree with Pumbas on this one. We have been to several of the parties. I have noticed a few things...
1. MK isn't always as 'empty' as we'd like it to be. Last year I took a large group and there was a PPParty. Lines were long,character lines were absurd and the little chocolate coins were melted piles of mess before the party was half way over. The kids did like the beads though. We weren't that impressed to do another one.
2. We were there this past mid Dec. went to MVMCP one night on our short trip (5 days). It was obviously crowded and it wasn't a sold out night. Long lines, but the atmosphere was completely different from the PPParty. I am glad we did it, but with rising prices probably wouldn't do it again.
3. Again in mid Dec. on our 5 day trip one day we left MK early because the MVMCP was a sold out night. We thought, ok, we will hop to Epcot. It was crazy crowded, long lines and lots of frustration. So the fact that you have other options doesn't always mean those options will be good.

I don't mind a few parties, but honestly they are getting to be too much. I'd gladly give up the 'theme' of the P&P party and go back to the $12 eride nights. Now those nights you could really get a lot accomplished.

mrerk

Premium Member
I feel a little silly because I searched for an hour or so looking for historical times and I finally found them on this site. While I am unable to say that it was on a regular basis, I found hours for Epcot being open til 10:00 or 11:00. I believe one was actually from January. As far as MK, the evidence is not so clear. The only thing I saw was that there was an 11:00 EP in July I believe, in 1989.Anyway, if you search the phrase, "old maps" on this site you will find it. You have to look at the entertainment guides that are posted because the guide maps do not show park hours. Well, at least we know that Epcot was open later during certain times.:)

That sounds about right. Used to be if you wanted to see the MSEP or FitS, you had to go in the summer. The school vacation weeks, Christmas and Easter would usually get you FitS but not MSEP.

mrerk

Premium Member
I don't mind a few parties, but honestly they are getting to be too much. I'd gladly give up the 'theme' of the P&P party and go back to the $12 eride nights. Now those nights you could really get a lot accomplished.

E Ride Nights were the best. You could ride over and over until you were ready to :hurl:.

yankspy

E Ride Nights were the best. You could ride over and over until you were ready to :hurl:.
Do you remember how that worked? Was it something that you could just add to a hopper ticket. I know we took advantage of it, I just do not remember how it worked.

mrerk

Premium Member
Do you remember how that worked? Was it something that you could just add to a hopper ticket. I know we took advantage of it, I just do not remember how it worked.

I remember you had to be a resort guest. IIRC you had to purchase a voucher at the resort you were staying at, which you then exchanged at the park for a wristband. Kind of the way they do the Evening EMH now, but without the voucher.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
But with the dollar deflated like it is, you getting more bang for the buck. :ROFLOL:

If you ignore the drastic increase in aviation costs, which despite having the airlines pay for fuel in dollars has spiralled way beyond any "savings".

But your right so, Im all right jack, sod you colonials, just pay up and stop whining:shrug:

Or perhaps some of us arent so short term and noticed there already has been a 10 cent drop in the tourist exchange rate.

NewfieFan

I personally do not have a problem with the parties (I've never been to one, though) but I do have a problem with the quantity of the parties. While I'm there in Sept. for 10 days (yes, I'm lucky to be going for 10 days) there are 3 MNSSHP. I think that's a lot myself! I know I have 10 days to see everything I want to see but I do have 3 evenings at the MK which are not available to me. It did take a bit of planning to work around those evenings. And the other unfortunate thing is there's a party on the day I arrive. I love going to the MK on my first evening but I can't this trip. But I'm not upset at Disney for having a party on the day I arrive (I picked my travel dates) - it's just not working out the way I had planned!

I do feel for the people who don't know about them. I know, I know, "they" should research their vacation more. But we're the minority here guys, even people who research their vacations are unaware of the parties sometimes. It's only us crazy nuts which work out every possible detail of our vacation!

the-reason14

I found that emh at some parks are actually good. The MK being the main one. If MK closes late, and then stays open for emhs until like 1 or 2, its like dead the last hour or so, and if you can manage being up that late, it really is off the chain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom