MK Themed parties...ripping off regular customers?

kucarachi

Original Poster
It seems now there is a themed MK party at least every other month now. And the question is...at what rate do you keep offering these things and continually shorten park hours for those who cant afford it. The parks usually close at 7 and 2 more hours in the MK can make a world of difference as far as finishing up some things you missed. They should at least offer a 50% discount to people who bought one day tickets...

I love the halloween and pirate parties but there are so many days of it now that you are screwing the average joe, and making the park geared toward those who spend the most instead of those who need the hours the most while on a strict budget. A family of 5 addding MNSSHP tickets after a day at the park would have to shell out 200 extra bucks whearas they could have gotten everything done if the park simply closed at 9 or 10. Im not saying they shouldnt have the parties but they need to figure out a way to compensate those who cant afford it...maybe hook people up with 2 complimentary fast passes on days the park closes early?

WDW Monorail

I disagree. If party guests would like to, rather than spending the morning and early afternoon at the park, they may enter the park at 4PM and stay all the way until closing (11-12?). That gives one at least 7 hours to spend in the park. For most of those hours, guests can get on rides with minimal queue time, enjoy a less crowded park, and entertainment that is not available to regular guests. For $45-$55, I think that is a great deal.

lilclerk

...maybe hook people up with 2 complimentary fast passes on days the park closes early?
Well fastpasses are always complimentary... But no, I don't think they're screwing guests with the parties. Maybe they are held too many days in the month, but if you want to visit the MK and there's a party during your trip, just buy one less day's worth of tickets and do something else til 4pm.
Parties are actually great for one-day guests. You get to go to the MK from 4-midnight at a lesser price with less crowds.

Tom Morrow

Any day that MK has a hard ticket event, Epcot or Studios is open later than normal, and most guests have park hoppers or annual passes anyway. They also warn people at the gates that the MK will close early on those days... so I don't think its a rip off.

cooleo

While I do agree that they may have too many days of these parties, I also don't think they are a rip off. As has been said, You get plenty time with less guests for cheaper than a one day ticket. Plus the additional offerings that aren't available during the day.

LoriMistress

Disney has three other parks, two water parks, and a downtown district. Go to MK during an non-party day for the "longer hours."

MAF

I hate to admit it, but I kind of actually agree here. I was thinking about doing the MNSSHP, but after seeing the prices I quickly changed my mind...:shrug:

the-reason14

I kinda agree with the op. It isnt that bad, but I think its annoying. The Christmas and Halloween party IMO are fine, Ive never been to em probably never will, but they are for that specific time of year and thats great. But the Pirate and Princess one I dont like. I forget but I think they made it last year or 2 yrs ago, but I really wish they just had it during slow periods. But when its packed crowded they oughta just not do em, and let the people who dont want to shell out all the extra dough, dress up, and see the extra entertainment, have their fun for the regular price.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I could not disagree more. Not only are other parks open later, Disney advertises the dates far enough in advance that anyone should be able to plan accordingly.

wdwmomof3

We have always just made our plans around the parties, by going to another park or what not. We also have a family of 5 and up until now, I couldn't see paying the extra money for this. After thinking about it, we don't go as much as I wish that we could so we may add it to our list next time. It's fun to try new things on vacation and I have heard some great things about it.

cooleo

We have always just made our plans around the parties, by going to another park or what not. We also have a family of 5 and up until now, I couldn't see paying the extra money for this. After thinking about it, we don't go as much as I wish that we could so we may add it to our list next time. It's fun to try new things on vacation and I have heard some great things about it.

If nothing else, you definitely want to try to get around to doing "Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party". It is fantastic & my son loves dancing the night away with the characters @ Cosmic Ray's Starlight Café. :lol: Then the parade is amazing, the stage shows are great & the light crowds is spectacular. :cool:

Fire1831

If you have not attended the parties you may not understand the benefits to attending. The part that I do agree with is the park is being closed early to often, during my last trip it was closed at 7 for the Grad nights for 3 days and 1 night for MPPP(which I attended) and this was only a Sat. to Sat. trip.

MousDad

I love this place, but you all do realize this is the warm and fuzzy forum, right? :lol:

Post this question on another forum (that will remain unnamed) and see what kind of response you get.

Oooh, some of the old guard Disney fans who have been around for 20+ years absolutely HATE these separately-ticketed events, and I mean with a passion.

They remember the days when the parks were consistently open until 11:00 or 12:00 for every paying customer. In short, they view it as charging the park goers twice for what was originally offered for one ticket. And the fact that Disney gets away with it just makes them furious.

I say "they" because I'm not referring to myself. Personally, I have no opinion, I'm just reporting my observations of other's opinions.

scpergj

A family of 5 addding MNSSHP tickets after a day at the park would have to shell out 200 extra bucks whearas they could have gotten everything done if the park simply closed at 9 or 10. Im not saying they shouldnt have the parties but they need to figure out a way to compensate those who cant afford it...maybe hook people up with 2 complimentary fast passes on days the park closes early?

Wow...where should I start with this one???

Hmm...I can't afford a Ferrari, even though I'd like one. Maybe I should be compensated somehow? Maybe the dealer should give me a BMW instead??

I'd LOVE to be able to stay for a week in a Grand Villa, but I can't afford it. Maybe the company should compensate me somehow...yeah, I've got it...a week at the Poly for free!

I'm so sick of this "we're poor, we can't afford what you can...gimme something to make me feel better" garbage. Get over it. So you can't afford it - that doesn't mean others cannot.

I could take this one even farther, but before I do, I suggest you read the book in my signature...

Oh yeah...my family and I have never been to one of the parties. We just hop to another park on those nights.

MousDad

Wow...where should I start with this one???

Hmm...I can't afford a Ferrari, even though I'd like one. Maybe I should be compensated somehow? Maybe the dealer should give me a BMW instead??

I'd LOVE to be able to stay for a week in a Grand Villa, but I can't afford it. Maybe the company should compensate me somehow...yeah, I've got it...a week at the Poly for free!

I'm so sick of this "we're poor, we can't afford what you can...gimme something to make me feel better" garbage. Get over it. So you can't afford it - that doesn't mean others cannot.

I could take this one even farther, but before I do, I suggest you read the book in my signature...

Oh yeah...my family and I have never been to one of the parties. We just hop to another park on those nights.

What you say is essentially true. But, don't for a minute think that Disney isn't brilliant in this.

Situation: Family of 5 finds out they have to leave the park early or shell out X to stay for the party. Hmmm, I bet those kids are going to be really thrilled and in great spirits when they find out they have to leave and miss the party.

I wonder how many heads of household give in on that one? :lol:

silentb0b

agree. the parties are a ripoff. they close the parks early and make you pay extra to stay in the park for the same hours you could before they started this idiotness. 100% ripoff.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
What you say is essentially true. But, don't for a minute think that Disney isn't brilliant in this.

Situation: Family of 5 finds out they have to leave the park early or shell out X to stay for the party. Hmmm, I bet those kids are going to be really thrilled and in great spirits when they find out they have to leave and miss the party.

I wonder how many heads of household give in on that one? :lol:
Sorry, if parents don't plan their vacation at least to the extent they know there's a party and the park is closing earlier for it, their kids aren't likely smart enough to think they're missing anything...

If I am going to WDW, I'm going for enough days that I can organize around the party and my kid won't be in a position to manipulate me. :shrug:

yankspy

agree. the parties are a ripoff. they close the parks early and make you pay extra to stay in the park for the same hours you could before they started this idiotness. 100% ripoff.
They offer a lot more though in terms of free cookies and cocoa,(Christmas) etc... It is not only the park staying open later.

Kristamouse

I have always planned out trips to inculde or avoid party nights depending on our plans, SINCE I have been aware of these hard ticket events. Not everyone is even aware anything like this is offered. All three times I have be to MNSSHP we arrive right at 4.00 and every time see guest upset about the early closure because they didn't know. I do feel for some these people. Many who only do one day in MK and perhaps even all of Orlando and don't check the dates because why would they? They don't know much about WDW but they know it doesn't ever close for a whole day (exp. hurricans). At one time I was a causual WDW tourist and would not have check and been bummed I had to leave early. That being said compenstion is going a little too far. If I went to a restruant that was closing early for some reasong I would ask for free apptizers b/c I couldn't stay as long.
Just a note, we have been to the MNSSHP 3x and I can honestly say I love the party and have always had a wonderful time with my family but the prices are getting so high and crowds are huge I don't think it is worth it anymore. In Sept of 07 we were shocked at the amount of people there. It did not feel special or magical because of all the people there. It was packed and while the wait times were not very long I still could have done better getting to MK at opening and leaving at lunch for a couple of days. The parade was great but we still had to get's our seats about 45 min early for the 2nd parade and Hallowishes taking more party time out. Also the candy giver CM's were not nearly as generous with the candy and the previous two years. In the past we probally had over 30.00 in candy almost paying for one ticket then. In 07 it was very stingy and the lines were long. We did still have fun and my kids loved the all the costums and the dance parties but the new ticket prices and the amount of people there have really downgraded the event for me. The perks of these hard ticket events, smaller crowds, more time, etc seem to be losing the draw with ticket prices so high. Just my .02$

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom