Misson Space ?

Raven66

Do we know for sure that he only rode the ride once? Do we know that a family member didn't ride it first and think it was ok? Probably not. Do I think the mother was wrong to let her kid ride it? No. That was her and her family's decision. We don't know anything about her child. He was tall enough and there are some children out there that are very mature for their age. I don't believe the ride should be closed.

mtgirl28

Ok here's a newbie's two cents.....

I do think the ride should stay open also....BUT....don't shoot me....I'm still new.... with some modifications. Here's why. I am not a thrill ride person anymore. When I was younger I was a roller coaster junkie. Six Flags Magic Mountain was my favorite park, and anything that spun or flipped my up-side down was my cup of tea. Now I get sick on Star Tours and the tea cups.

So at California Adventure, there is the sun wheel-it has wildly swinging cars, that make you feel like your going to fall off the ferris wheel, for the bravest of souls, and it has stationary cars for the people would would still like to experience the ride- and the view- in a more subdued way.

Then you have Sea World in San Diego, which also has a ride like this where you ride an artic helicopter- on one side of the building, the helicopter moves (much like Star Tours)while you watch the movie. The other is is exectly the same, only the theater doesn't move. You get to see the same movie- in a more tame enviroment.

So while I soooooo want to experience MS, I know that it would ruin my day if I went on it. Plus if I threw up in the grass, I would fell like I ruined WDW, and then spend all my time looking for napkins to clean it up, and apologizing to everyone that walked by.

But I don't want others to have to give up a wild ride if they can handle it. So I say, make a MS that has the cars and the screen and a milder movement for us old fogey's, so that even the most chicken of the bunch can experience a fraction of what you all say is an amazing ride. Yet also keep the version that they have now. Make everyone happy.

PS. I am so sad for the family, and everyone raises their children differently, so we should try not to judge. It's a horrible loss of life.

(Me I'm so overprotective-much to my 9 year olds disgust. So MS is out for her, and TOT, and rock-n-roll coaster, and space mountain, and splash mountain, and dumbo. Mainly anything that moves is bad. Really, I'm just going for the food.)

DisneyDellsDude

Very well said mtgirl28. I have a quick question though. Does anyone know what the height requirement is for Mission:Space?

A four year old boy seems a little to young to go on this type of ride to me.
-just my opinion-

MouseMadness

Good Lord. I can't believe how much more we know than the boy's mother, not to mention the doctor who said that in a healthy 4 year old, the ride should not have caused him to die. Shame on you all. :mad: To the people who don't have kids, and know they'll do it best... no you don't. I can't tell you how many things you will find to feel guilty about when you do have children. Hate to break it to you, but you won't be able to control any and all things that happen to them. This mother made a mistake, and some are acting as though she made a conscientious decision to kill her kid. Come on :rolleyes: "blame" is a really stupid word in this situation.

d-r

PirateJ said:
Mission Space should not be shut down but the warnings and ride restrictions should be reviewed by Disney. Perhaps there could be a weight restriction as well as a heigh restriction because there is no way a 4 year old's body could withstand the intense g-forces produced by this ride.

Kids are all different. I have a cousin who is four, and is an adventurous, dare devil kind of kid. He rode mission space with me a couple of times and loved it. And then there are older kids and adults who don't like it. This is the same kid who earlier in the morning proclaimed "this is boring" in the middle of journey to your imagination. And I didn't think his body was going to withstand the intense lack-of-g forces of spaceship earth. Kids aren't all the same.

ETA, also, fwiw, 44 inches is very tall for a 4-year-old, probably in the upper 90's percentile. My cousin just barely made it, and he was 4.5.

CaliSurfer182

MouseMadness said:
Hate to break it to you, but you won't be able to control any and all things that happen to them.

That is absolutely true, but as a parent you are responsible and accountable for these "things".

MouseMadness said:
This mother made a mistake, and some are acting as though she made a conscientious decision to kill her kid. Come on :rolleyes: "blame" is a really stupid word in this situation.

Yes a terrible and tragic accident has occurred and blame is a hugely inappropriate word to swing about (on both sides). But a parents responsibility to their children should not be mistaken or avoided. I feel extremely bad about what happened, and I could never imagine it happening to myself or my loved ones. But that doesn't change the fact that I need to be assessing as much of my childs going ons and activities as possible.

psuchad

Ride maker faced design troubles with Disney
By WINSLOW MASON JR.
Bucks County Courier Times
6/16/2005

Four deaths involving Walt Disney World rides have occurred since 2001, according to reports filed with the state:

Feb. 7, 2003: A 31-year-old woman falls on the steps leading into the pool at Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Gang Plank Falls, fracturing her ankle. She dies March 2 as a result of a pulmonary embolism.

March 28, 2003: An 81-year-old woman reports a heart attack after riding Epcot's Universe of Energy and later dies.

Dec. 24, 2004: An 11-year-old girl collapses in line at the Magic Kingdom's Space Mountain ride and later dies.

Feb. 13, 2005: A 77-year-old woman loses consciousness after exiting the Magic Kingdom's Pirates of the Caribbean ride and later dies.

Most notable is the 11 year old that died in line at SM. This just proves that while tragic death is unavoidable.

Shaman

CaliSurfer182 said:
That is absolutely true, but as a parent you are responsible and accountable for these "things".

Yes a terrible and tragic accident has occurred and blame is a hugely inappropriate word to swing about (on both sides). But a parents responsibility to their children should not be mistaken or avoided. I feel extremely bad about what happened, and I could never imagine it happening to myself or my loved ones. But that doesn't change the fact that I need to be assessing as much of my childs going ons and activities as possible.

Has anyone seen the mother of the child in question jumping for joy over this? No. The poor woman must be devasted and blaming herself...

Could this all have been avoided...sure...Like I've said in the other thread, if I had a four year old, the last place I'd stick em is on M:S...but thats me...NOW...far from being anywhere near M:S with a child...

But who's to say the same incident wouldn't have happened watching one of the parades? Should the mother (or father, becuase its an equal responsibility) blame themselves for bringing their children to Disney? No.

We humans think we can have ultimate CONTROL....our bodies, NATURE always reminds us otherwise.

(pardon if anything I've said has been mentioned in another post...I didn't read evey post on this thread)

The Mom

Premium Member
Anyone who has read information about risk probability knows that there are thousands of things that we do every day that COULD kill/hurt us, and we worry about them. There are even more things that are MORE likely to kill/hurt us, and we don't give them a second thought because they're so common.

This tragedy is newsworthy because #1 It's so unusual #2 Most of us can see ourselves being in a similar circumstance, ie, riding an attraction at a theme park with our family #3 and most of us think we can/could have prevented things like this happening to us.

We all go through life assesing our risks vs rewards based on our own or other's experiences, along with whatever information we've gleaned from the media, signage, etc., and make our choices accordingly. There are some choices that any reasonable person would question, there are others that, although "dangerous", are so much a part of modern life that we don't question them, and there are the rest, which fall somewhere in between.

psuchad

The Mom said:
Anyone who has read information about risk probability knows that there are thousands of things that we do every day that COULD kill/hurt us, and we worry about them. There are even more things that are MORE likely to kill/hurt us, and we don't give them a second thought because they're so common.

This tragedy is newsworthy because #1 It's so unusual #2 Most of us can see ourselves being in a similar circumstance, ie, riding an attraction at a theme park with our family #3 and most of us think we can/could have prevented things like this happening to us.

We all go through life assesing our risks vs rewards based on our own or other's experiences, along with whatever information we've gleaned from the media, signage, etc., and make our choices accordingly. There are some choices that any reasonable person would question, there are others that, although "dangerous", are so much a part of modern life that we don't question them, and there are the rest, which fall somewhere in between.
:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

jws25

hello, I'm new here

I found this thread while looking for more information on this very sad event, which has frightened me a great deal. I love WDW as much as any of you, but I will never experience this ride again. I have loved extreme amusement rides all my life, roller coasters, virtual rides, everything. I have never been motion sick, ever, until Dec. 2004. I am a very healthy 32 yr old woman, never had children. I tried this ride for the first time last Dec., and I passed out during the ride. My husband revived me and helped me walk out when it was over. He took me to the walk-in clinic in Orlando, where the doctor who saw me said that he had seen very many cases like mine. He said I was then suffering from severe vertigo, and gave me medication, because I had not stopped vomiting since 15 minutes after the ride was over. We never found anything else wrong with me. I can easily see a small child passing out due to the psychological/physical stress from the ride, and suffering complications that might threaten his life. I've been trying to find word on the results of the medical investigation. Has anyone heard anything more?

lilphil6487

CTXRover said:
An interview on MSNBC last night with a pediatrician, who obviously has never been on the ride, was criticizing Disney and the ride for subjecting children to forces that astronauts train for and that there have been no tests on the effect of sending children into space. I know the ride simulates space travel, but that's ridiculous. It is incredibly poor journalism only for its senstionalistic nature.
This es me off so much. Disney is not subjecting children to anything. It is the parents. It isnt like disney is forcing the kids to ride it. Parents should decide if the kids can go on it based on the ride facts clearly posted outside. I personally think height restrictions are dumb. the kid was 4 and he still made the height restriction. Now, whether or not the kid has a pre-existing condition, a 4 year old should not be riding the ride. i love the ride, but i agree that it is too intense for a anyone under 6 or 7. What make height restrictions stupid is that someone who is diminuative( means small) even if they are like 12 years old, couldnt ride the ride because of height restrictions. The media is stupid. it is an amazing ride. and again disney is not subjecting anyone to anything. These people chose to ride it and chose to put a 4 year old on it. It is their fault, and since he was born pre-mature which leads to complications, they are just not smart at all. Now i feel bad for the family, I know what they are going through, but i still think it is their fault.

worldshwcasefan

Original Poster
The Mom said:

Well said Mom

wannabeBelle

The Mom said:

Well said, Mom Belle

wannabeBelle

jws25 said:
I found this thread while looking for more information on this very sad event, which has frightened me a great deal. I love WDW as much as any of you, but I will never experience this ride again. I have loved extreme amusement rides all my life, roller coasters, virtual rides, everything. I have never been motion sick, ever, until Dec. 2004. I am a very healthy 32 yr old woman, never had children. I tried this ride for the first time last Dec., and I passed out during the ride. My husband revived me and helped me walk out when it was over. He took me to the walk-in clinic in Orlando, where the doctor who saw me said that he had seen very many cases like mine. He said I was then suffering from severe vertigo, and gave me medication, because I had not stopped vomiting since 15 minutes after the ride was over. We never found anything else wrong with me. I can easily see a small child passing out due to the psychological/physical stress from the ride, and suffering complications that might threaten his life. I've been trying to find word on the results of the medical investigation. Has anyone heard anything more?
Welcome to the Boards!!! Sorry to see you got so sick!! As far as the medical investigation, they have ruled out malfunction of the ride (which is why it is open now) and trauma to the child or any obvious cause of death. The remainder will take between 4-12 weeks!!! Belle

KaliSplash

I waded through all 740 posts on the other thread. I just read the first one here and am responding.

There is absolutely NO reason to close Mission:Space. There was NO malfunction of the ride. Otherwise, we'd have more than one person involved.

Did the spinning of the ride trigger something with this child. Quite possibly. But at odds of one in 8.6 million, I'd ride every day. Far safer than driving to work! Or getting out of the bathtub, for that matter.

brich

lilphil6487 said:
This es me off so much. Disney is not subjecting children to anything. It is the parents. It isnt like disney is forcing the kids to ride it. Parents should decide if the kids can go on it based on the ride facts clearly posted outside.
Don't you think that maybe a lot of parents are under the assumption that Disney is very kid friendly? That maybe they generalize the rides to be kid friendly if their kids meet the ride criteria? I think the parents of this young boy did read the "facts" and to them, the boy met the requirements.

lilphil6487 said:
I personally think height restrictions are dumb. the kid was 4 and he still made the height restriction. Now, whether or not the kid has a pre-existing condition, a 4 year old should not be riding the ride. i love the ride, but i agree that it is too intense for a anyone under 6 or 7. What make height restrictions stupid is that someone who is diminuative( means small) even if they are like 12 years old, couldnt ride the ride because of height restrictions.
The hieght requirements reflect the safety level of the rides design and restraints. The only good point you may have touched here is that maybe an age requirement could accompany the height requirement.
lilphil6487 said:
The media is stupid. it is an amazing ride. and again disney is not subjecting anyone to anything. These people chose to ride it and chose to put a 4 year old on it. It is their fault, and since he was born pre-mature which leads to complications, they are just not smart at all. Now i feel bad for the family, I know what they are going through, but i still think it is their fault.
Let me remind you that being premature "CAN" lead to health issues but not in every case. And finally, your sympathy is overwhelming. When did you lose a child? Interesting that after all that, you still find it in your heart to have to place fault with the parents. Maybe this was your fault for not being there to give them your advice before the mother boarded the ride with her little boy... :rolleyes:

CaliSurfer182

objr said:
Has anyone seen the mother of the child in question jumping for joy over this? No. The poor woman must be devasted and blaming herself...

Not once did I say or imply that anyone should be jumping for joy over this tragic occurrence especially the mother. I am sure she is feeling exactly what you said as I sure would be. But personally I would be accountable for it, and I wouldn't expect it to infringe on anyone else.

objr said:
Could this all have been avoided...sure...Like I've said in the other thread, if I had a four year old, the last place I'd stick em is on M:S...but thats me...NOW...far from being anywhere near M:S with a child...

So why should the ride be in question? And not the decision to get on the ride? The push seems to be to make a company responsible for every possible out come, but then at the same time we should not expect a parent to be able to expect/detect/protect every possible situation our children can be exposed to. So how on Earth is it even close to fair to expect a company to do what we can't?

objr said:
But who's to say the same incident wouldn't have happened watching one of the parades? Should the mother (or father, becuase its an equal responsibility) blame themselves for bringing their children to Disney? No.
But then should the parade be shut-down because it quite possibly had an adverse effect on a child?

objr said:
We humans think we can have ultimate CONTROL....our bodies, NATURE always reminds us otherwise.

We may not always be able to control our bodies, but we sure are responsible for the direction they go!

brich said:
Let me remind you that being premature "CAN" lead to health issues but not in every case. And finally, your sympathy is overwhelming. :rolleyes:

That is true, not every premature child has health issues. However (and this comes from experience since my wife and son were both premature) you are made aware by the attending doctor that these individuals can have problems all though-out their lives. It may not be evident now, they can be fit as a fiddle, but then a health problem can pop up any where down the road of life.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom